MD11
Topic Author

AMERICA WEST AIRLINES

Sat Nov 14, 1998 3:25 am

Does anybody know if America West Airlines still
exists and in which region it's serving ...

Thanks
Andy

BryanG

RE: AMERICA WEST AIRLINES

Sat Nov 14, 1998 3:36 am

Are you kidding?
They are still huge, serivng 53 destinations in America and 8 in Mexico form hubs at Cleveland, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. They serve cities on bothe the East ans West coasts, but mainly the West. Their fleet is entirely A320s, 737s, and 757s.

Thay were one of the fastest growing airlines ever. They began in 1983 and reached 1 billion in revenue by 1990.

United777

Sat Nov 14, 1998 9:45 am

America West has really grown fast. I remember seeing there first Boeing 737-200 now they are retiring them with new Airbus A319 aircraft. I really like there new colors too.....But there might be a strike soon for the airline.

Bryan

Sat Nov 14, 1998 6:24 pm

I didn't think they were still going either, but last time I was at PDX I saw an America West 737-200 landing. I also saw a 737-300 in their new colours sitting on the tarmac, so they must be doing something right.
I don't know much about this airline. I don't know how they get any business. My travel agent never even gives me the option of flying on them when I want to fly from PDX to LAX or to San fransisco.

Bryan

Sun Nov 15, 1998 9:33 am

If you ever get a chance to visit Sky Harbor Airport here in Phoenix, you'll immediately realize what a huge airline America West is. It is considered a major US carrier and it is now, I believe, bigger than Southwest. If you want to learn more, AmWest was the cover story of the April '98 issue of Airways Magazine.

B777

Sun Nov 15, 1998 12:22 pm

I know that they still exist.They fly out of Phoenix and other hubs and they use the A-320,Boeing-737,and the Boeing-757.

Mark

Wed Feb 17, 1999 4:19 am

Does anyone out there know when the America West strike started last November?! I'm looking for an exact date that they started the strike. For instance, I need to know when the discussion started, and the threat of strike was proposed to the "superiors" of the airlines.

A quick response to this would be appreciated...

Thanks!
lisa

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos