Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NASCARAirforce

RE: Giraffe Collides With Aircraft

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:01 pm

When I read the title of this topic I was going to say "DAMN that is one TALL giraffe"

CVG777

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:02 am

Okay, which one of you put this on FARK?  Smile

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2871606

threepoint

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 9):
Soups,
Buffaloes in Aceh
Goats in Maumere (SE Indonesia)...
Dogs in a few airports in Indonesian Papua
Giant monitor lizards in Pekanbaru

And a Roosevelt elk that blundered onto an Oregon runway in the path of a USAF or Navy Lear on the takeoff roll a few years ago. Predictable outcome for the elk; the airplane never got airborne, skidded off the end of the runway and burned. The three occupants walked away.

Deer vs King Air in British Columbia. Sliced and diced.

www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/13053.jpg

Most winged and hoofed beasts do misinterpret hold short instructions.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

bbobbo

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting Jenkingeorge (Reply 48):
I feel for the pilot, animals are just sooooooooooooooo stupid, ive worked with them all my life and their stupidity does kill them, ive run a few over in my time because they are just so stupid.......... and they make me mad!!!  Angry
 Sad
JG

Maybe we should blame ourselves for not spending more money on animal education. How can you expect animals to know anything without proper schooling. At the very least, all animals should be entitled to enroll in a free course teaching them "How to Avoid Man-made Objects".

jenkingeorge

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting Bbobbo (Reply 54):
Maybe we should blame ourselves for not spending more money on animal education. How can you expect animals to know anything without proper schooling. At the very least, all animals should be entitled to enroll in a free course teaching them "How to Avoid Man-made Objects".

We should go into business!!!  Wink

It might end up like one of those horror movies where the animals take over the planet  Wow!  Big grin

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 51):
When I read the title of this topic I was going to say "DAMN that is one TALL giraffe"

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw it Big grin

JG
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

rikkus67

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:14 am

Here in the province of Alberta, Canada we have countless accidents involving wildlife. Motor accidents with deer and bear are unfortunately common, due to many highways and roads passing through mountainous regions in the wetern half of the province. Where I live out on the prairies, deer are also a common site...

As far as aviation, we are not immune to the same types of incidents, as apparent in A5XX's post about an accident in Northern Alberta. Fences or not, larger animals

When dealing and co-existing with wildlife there are always going to events beyond anyones control.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

HAWK21M

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Isn't there a way to Fence out these larger Animals.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

don81603

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 9):
Anyone else got more

Moose and bears in North Western Ontario, especially the uncontrolled airports like Wawa, Marathon and Ignace.

I'm just getting started in flight simming, and I always thought landings were a pain in the neck for me...

I was actually expecting to read a few "Why did the giraffe cross the runway" jokes, but it appears the majority of the users here are above such posts.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

bbobbo

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 58):
Why did the giraffe cross the runway

Because the wildlife biologist in the Cessna 172 was being a pain in the neck.

PiedmontINT

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Bbobbo (Reply 54):
Deer vs King Air in British Columbia. Sliced and diced.

I think my favorite part of that picture is that the plane is from the "Ministry of Health"

n6238p

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 am

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this topic title. I draw a comic strip in the Southern Illinois University newspaper called John and the Giraffe and I did a aviation themed week a few months back. I toyed with the idea of the Giraffe getting in the way of planes on final. I scrapped that idea though and went with something else. However I still got the oppurtunity to put squeeze my CFI in the comic.

If you look closely you can see the Giraffe sitting in the plane.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1510/41707mg2.jpg
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

litz

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 am

I've personally chased (in a train) all kinds of wildlife, from cats and dogs, to deer. The only thing we don't have to worry about are turkey : they stand there, staring at the train, 'til it hits them. Dumb birds.

The strange thing w/the other wildlife is, they'll usually run straight ahead --- right between the rails ... with 2 million pounds of moving metal on their tail. All they'd have to do is jink left or right and they'd be safe ... but no ...

I've heard of guys who drive interstate freights who've hit elk, moose, cattle, horses, etc ... for the most part, if you're in a train, it's basically SPLAT!. One guy described hitting a horse as "exploding a horse on the front of a SD70" ...

Airplanes tend to not be quite so lucky ... they are quite a bit lighter and much less massively built.

- litz

MD-90

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 62):
I've heard of guys who drive interstate freights who've hit elk, moose, cattle, horses, etc ... for the most part, if you're in a train, it's basically SPLAT!. One guy described hitting a horse as "exploding a horse on the front of a SD70" ...

Yup. There was a famous essay which used the example of dropping a mouse, a cat, a human, and a horse into a 100 foot deep pit to illustrate scale. The mouse would walk away unharmed, the cat might break some bones, the human would crumple, and the horse would splash.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos