Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Green Is Our Sky ... Irish Aviation Thread 29/07

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:15 am

Greetings one and all and welcome to another Irish aviation thread ...

As we head into (what passes for) another Summer, settle down for a cool blast from the west. With EI having ordered A350s (and more A330s), RE having ordered - and started taking delivery of - its ATR72s and Open Skies now only a few months away, we're kin of in the doldrums as far as developments are concerned. The DAA mentioned yesterday that the development of T2 might be delayed if permission wasn't granted this month (and of course, FR threatened to lodge an immediate appeal if it is); where would we be without FR! (I could make some choice comments there, but diplomacy and a good nature prevents me!)

Noel Dempsey is getting his feet under the desk and reading himself into his new and very challenging brief; we can only wish him well. As much as many of us complained about Cullen, many positive developments took place during his stewardship of transport, so let's hope Dempsey's tenure will be similarly eventful (in a positive way!).

Hopefully, today - or very shortly - we should be seeing EI-DUZ join the EI fleet. (Incidentally, can someone just give us a rundown of the A330 -300 fleet, i.e. which ones will go, which will stay, which are borrowed, which are blue etc. It was on a previous thread, but I couldn't find it!)

So, welcome on board folks, settle back and enjoy the ride.

OA260

RE: Green Is Our Sky ... Irish Aviation Thread 29/07

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 am

Thanks Kaitak for a nice introduction. This is a good week to start a new thread. A week that has seen a return for Airbus and some impressive orders. Its great to see it. Will indeed be great to see another new A330 for EI in the comming days. Would be nice if they used it on the MCO route with the upgrades at only €150!!!

COEI2007

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Would be nice if they used it on the MCO route with the upgrades at only €150!!!

Are the upgrades sold like the upgrades on the AGP route??

aerarann

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 am

Hey Guys,

Got My College Results Today,

Got A 1st Class Honours Degree in Transport Operations and Technology,

I'm now selling my advice at a fee of €72/Hr.

Roll Up, Roll Up

Eirules

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 3):
Hey Guys,

Congrats Aerarann, very well done! As for your 72euro advice, exactly what does one get for that money??????
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 2):
Are the upgrades sold like the upgrades on the AGP route??

Yep you got it .

Hey thats brilliant , congratulations . Great news !!! Eur 72 an hour??? God the next J class flight im on I will look out for you !!! At those rates you will be a high flyer!!!

Im roughing it tomorrow !!! Got to take FR to ORK ..........its ok guys I will get through it . But if you dont hear from me for 72 hours send out a search party to pier A ....LOL....

aer lingus

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 am

This is from the previous post.

Does anyone what was the VS A346 doing at DUB yesterday?
Anyone know what was it doing at DUB? maintenance? training etc?

bigthumbsup 
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

aerarann

RE: Green Is Our Sky ... Irish Aviation Thread 29/

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks for the congrats

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Eur 72 an hour

After my namesakes new a/c

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
FR to ORK

Traitor, Traitor, Traitor .... TR please, especially w/ loads!!!

[Edited 2007-06-19 21:13:05]

bx737

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:16 am

Congrats Aerarann, well done (I hope this doesn't qualify as a consultation)

n272wa

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 am

Well done AerArann on your excellent results!!  Smile

OA260 flying FR??? Well I never...........

[email protected]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Green Is Our Sky

I think those environmentalists would disagree with you. Hell, I disagree with you: the sky here is decidedly grey.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BrianDromey

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:35 am

Hurrah! Well done. SO do fellow a.nutters get a reduction.....say, 42EUR and hour? Big grin

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

Im roughing it tomorrow !!! Got to take FR to ORK ..........its ok guys I will get through it . But if you dont hear from me for 72 hours send out a search party to pier A ....LOL....

Take a few prozac, and Im sure you will be fine! Actually it would be interesting to see if the overhead bins have any advertising on them, I heard meteor were doing ads on one of the aircraft, and Hertz had also taken some space....

Pier A - you should be so lucky! I think the search party should be dispacted to Swords, or what the DAA calls the "temporary boarding area"!

Speaking of the temporary boarding area, is there any chance that it could be reused in a different location at the airport? AFAIK the area will have to be removed to cater for access to Pier D, but could the area possibly be used as a substitute to Pier B/C during construction of T2? While it would not be ideal for the boarding of multiple widebodies at once, it would not be a whole lot worse than many American airports, where facilities are often scarce post security.

Brian.

Humberside

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:41 am

Hey Guys,

I'm now selling my advice at a fee of €72/Hr.

Roll Up, Roll Up

Congratulations

Can you advise RE to start DUB-HUY please  Wink
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

[email protected]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:42 am

Excellent! Well done.  Smile From which university?

I am shifting my career from law (at first) to hospitality (presently) to Air Transport Management. Will be doing a degree therein starting next Oct. Will be 25 when I start.  Wow!

Congraulations, Mr A. What will you now do?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Shamrock330

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Im roughing it tomorrow !!! Got to take FR to ORK

Good Luck with that, write a report pleaseeeeeee!!  Big grin

Quoting AerArann (Reply 7):
TR please, especially w/ loads!!!

Seconded. I did Dub-ORK about three weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all!

The flights only took 25 mins, sure you're only up and next thing you're decending. I went on the 7.55am flight and returned back to DUb on the11.55am. Loads were very impressive. Around 75% on the morning flight, 4 seats free on the way back.

If these flights were representative of the typical loads everyday, then I really wonder how RE are doing?

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 11):
Actually it would be interesting to see if the overhead bins have any advertising on them

Yes they have meteor roaming adverts on every bin. Looks pretty $h*tty if you ask me. Didn't see hertz adverts.

Oh and by the way, big thumbs up for the Cork terminal! Love it!

OA260

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:49 am

Pier A - you should be so lucky! I think the search party should be dispacted to Swords, or what the DAA calls the "temporary boarding area"!

Oh damn I forgot about that !!! Oh no.......lol

Quoting AerArann (Reply 7):
Traitor, Traitor, Traitor .... TR please, especially w/ loads!!!

Yes im doing a TR with loads of pics !!!. Im actually looking forward to it . Havnt flown FR for a long time. I hope its a 737 with winglets. Printed off my boarding cards today.

How come on CNN weather report they can predict 45 min delays in DUB tomorrow due to high winds!!!???

Just seen the new SU advert on CNN , its quite nice , shows A320 J class and food,service etc.... havnt seen an SU ad before.

aerarann

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:54 am

Hurrah! Well done. SO do fellow a.nutters get a reduction.....say, 42EUR and hour?

Ah Yes, But that rate will be phased out in time!!!

Quoting Humberside (Reply 12):

Can you advise RE to start DUB-HUY please

I said it before back when i was in RE, it wasnt even considered i dont think.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 13):
From which university?

Dublin Institute of Technology

Air Transport Management

I'm considering doing similar in a few years time

What will you now do?

I've a job lined up in Banking for the mean time, until i set up my own airline. lol

tonymctigue

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Congratulations Aerarann
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

EIDAA

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
(Incidentally, can someone just give us a rundown of the A330 -300 fleet, i.e. which ones will go, which will stay, which are borrowed, which are blue etc. It was on a previous thread, but I couldn't find it!)

Hi Kaitak, this is from my post back in thread 27:-

-----------------------------
Based on the statement released to the stock exchange this morning, one aircraft will be replaced in 2009, possibly EI-JFK the Airbus Asset Management aircraft? Two will go in 2011, possibly EI-CRK and EI-DUB the ILFC aircraft? Then four will be replaced between 2015 and 2016, presumably ORD, LAX, EWR and DAA. Hard to know which will go in 2009 (ILFC or AAM), but it looks like one of the old -300s will be around until 2015.

As you say, EI will presumably lease aircraft in addition to those ordered today and I would imagine they may even sell some of these initial aircraft to lessors at delivery in 2009 through 2011.
-----------------------------

To the best of my knowledge, the following is the fleet breakdown:-

Owned
EI-DAA (-200)
EI-DUO (-200)
EI-DUZ (-300) *
EI-LAX (-200)
EI-ORD (-300)

Operating Leases
EI-CRK (-300) - ILFC
EI-DUB (-300) - ILFC
EI-EWR (-200) - ILFC
EI-JFK (-300) - Airbus Asset Management

* Yet to be delivered

Hope that helps!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

n272wa

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:05 pm

I wonder how OA260 is getting on down in Pier A awaiting his Ryanair flight to Cork.
Must be a total shock for him boarding at gate A66....lol  Smile

Shamrock330

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Last I heard he'd gone into cardiac arrest down at A2  Wink

n272wa

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 pm

ok, just heard from OA260 that he landed safely in ORK... I am sure he is away now to the nearest bar for a quick mouthful of Jack Daniels  Silly

rineanna

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 21):
ok, just heard from OA260 that he landed safely in ORK... I am sure he is away now to the nearest bar for a quick mouthful of Jack Daniels

rotfl   drunk 

I hope he had a better landing at ORK then what I had at SNN a couple of hours ago, we smacked onto the runway with an almighty thud. I have videos of the landings both at SNN and BGY and will post in TR later in the week.

Actually it would be interesting to see if the overhead bins have any advertising on them,

The advertising spaces on the bins on the plane today (EI-DLV) were just advertising FR's services like online check-in and priority boarding, but when I flew to PIK the week before last the plane had the meteor advertising on it. I have a picture with the advertising on the bins too.

Congratulations. You've obviously put in alot of hard work and deserve it.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:16 am

Thanks very much EIDAA!

Any word yet on 'DUZ?

EIDAA

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 am

You're very welcome!

I've heard nothing on DUZ I'm afraid.

Regarding the great performance of the big two at the Paris airshow, I have to say it is great that the A350XWB is proving to be quite popular with more and more carriers. I'm delighted that EI selected the aircraft and can't wait to pop to the States in one in 2014/15!

Quick request - does anyone know if there are any websites that give a form of aircraft census for commercial aircraft in excel format, (free or subscription service)? There are several sites that provide the service online in html, but I want to be able to manipulate the data, but also have it regularly updated. Any suggestions? Thanks

TravelGuy

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 am

Has there been any recent scuttlebutt in relation to the expanded service into Ireland from some of the other US carriers such as the NW 75 service from DTW that was proposed many moons ago? I like to think that I have an ear to ground for this stuff, but mums been the word for some time on this end. An old friend of mine at UA had mentioned that they had run several route analyses for flights to Ireland and were taking "a hard look at them", but nothing seems to have materialised out of that. While the recent EI route expansions (and several UA codeshares as well) coming online in October is a competitive dis-incentive, one might think that UA service to Ireland is not necessarily entirely out of the question, albeit less likely.

tonymctigue

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 24):
Quick request - does anyone know if there are any websites that give a form of aircraft census for commercial aircraft in excel format, (free or subscription service)? There are several sites that provide the service online in html, but I want to be able to manipulate the data, but also have it regularly updated. Any suggestions? Thanks

One way I use at work is if the HTML is in some sort of table format, then you can copy & past it into word & then use the 'Convert' & 'Text to Table' command on the 'Table Menu'. You can then copy the table from word into excel. If you give me links to some of the HTML sites I can try it myself & see if it works.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:12 am

Travelguy, I think NW did intend to fly to Ireland this Summer, but decided to look elsewhere as our old regulations are still in force this Summer and presumably they didn't want to fly to SNN and so decided to add BRU and DUS instead. I'd expect to see them next year.

As for UA, they were certainly looking at Ireland but EI has now approached them to do an interline deal, with the key aim of keeping them out; EI now flies - or will soon fly to - UA's major gateways, ORD, IAD and SFO, so with an interline deal done, there's really not much point in them coming in.

TravelGuy

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks Kaitak. I would suppose with the liberalisation of the O/S between the US and Irl, it was assumed that the new services launched would be US-originating (after the inevitable spurt of EI svcs), particularly with the US carriers recently turning the financial corner (relatively speaking of course). Perhaps we might be seeing more unusual and interesting new services, such as the launch of "extra territorial" routes such as the anticipated second EI base or the introduction of the speculated VS DUB>NYC flight.

I would wager that t/a flights from/to ORK, long since agonized over in some circles here, will more than likely end up being launched from Ireland to the US as opposed to being put in place by US carriers. ORK could be quite nicely served with a capable 737-7 or 8, but from my somewhat in-depth look at their fleet allocations and routing structures, no US carrier would be in an immediate (or near to immediate) position to operate such a service effectively, based on current utilizations and assumptions going forward. EI, in my opinion, wouldn't waste their time basing a t/a capable aircraft in ORK when they can centralise and capitalise in DUB. In addition to diluting established and soon to be established routes, it just wouldn't make sense. More than likely a smaller and more niche carrier will fill the void if it comes to pass. Again, just my opinion, but interesting to speculate nonetheless.

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Part one of my TR is now up and running, there are a few technical difficulties with the images, however!

Shamrocks, Crowns & Compasses, EI, KL, NW To HNL

Brian

shamrock350

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks for the report Brian I enjoyed it and a great title for it too.

EIDAA

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 26):
One way I use at work is if the HTML is in some sort of table format, then you can copy & past it into word & then use the 'Convert' & 'Text to Table' command on the 'Table Menu'. You can then copy the table from word into excel. If you give me links to some of the HTML sites I can try it myself & see if it works.

Thanks for the post. Normally that is the way I would do it myself, but it can be time consuming if you don't have all the data in a single page. For example, on http://www.airfleets.net (a great site by the way - with a flightlog option that I think is better than flightmemory), you have to go into each airline separately.

I believe Jetphotos has a good census but I can't get into it for some reason.

Jethros - http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleets.htm is good, but only covers UK and Ireland.

Essentially, I am looking for a list that is regularly updated the gives MSN cross referenced with Registration/Operator

MD11Engineer

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Refering to the title: Green is the Sky

After having lived in Ireland for several years. I'd say that the Irish sky is normally grey, due to the rain clouds...  Wink

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

n272wa

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 32):
I'd say that the Irish sky is normally grey, due to the rain clouds...

Oh aye, absolutely - and today is no exception here in Dublin.

n272wa

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Just saw on another thread the following:

FR filed the following flights for PRG for Winter:
FR1001/2 28OCT-29MAR DUB-PRG-DUB 1234567 738

shamrock350

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Ryanair at it again!

Quote:
RYANAIR CALLS ON AVIATION REGULATOR TO BLOCK GOLD PLATED TERMINAL OR MAKE AER LINGUS PAY FOR IT

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=jun&story=gen-en-210607

rineanna

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 35):
Ryanair at it again!

This is, and is going to be, one hell of a struggle to get T2 up and running on schedule or anywhere near it. They make a point in the article (thanks or the link, Shamrock350!) regarding FR passengers cross-subsidizing a facility they will never use, which, on the surface anyway, is a valid point but what practical alternative is there to fund it? EI certainly aren't going to bear the brunt of it.

There's also some interesting points made about the sizing of the terminal. It's continually referred to as "excessive" and "oversized". Is it really though? Would it not be better to build a terminal capable to accommodate future increases in passenger figures?

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:35 am

Also, what's this claim by FR that Fingal CC has put a ceiling on the number of pax that can use the facilities? I hadn't heard about any such limit; I'm sure it's just FR taking liberties.

Interesting to note FR's entry into the PRG market; will it go the same way as WAW, with OK being forced out and EI and FR being left on the market?

Finally, an Irish based leasing company, AIR, has entered a deal with Jet of India, to lease a number (13, I think) ATR72s.

legoguy

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:36 am

I have just seen a Fokker F50 (or F27) fly into Belfast City Airport. I am unsure of the airline but it did have a dark colour to the aircraft. Dark blue perhaps. Any idea's what airline this could have been and whether the aircraft/airline will be visiting the airport frequently?

I searched for the arrivals and it could be one of these...

Manchester BE7022 16:55 Landed 18:34
Blackpool JXT103 17:45 Landed 17:43

What airline is JXT?

Edit, the aircraft only landed between 18.30 and 18.35 so thats the JXT off the list of possibles, leaving only FlyBE. Are FlyBE leasing a Fokker50??  Confused  boggled 

[Edited 2007-06-21 19:41:32]
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

shamrock350

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:51 am

If it had a dark blue livery all I can think of is VLM for a Fokker F50

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Darren Wilson

No idea why that would be in Belfast City though.

legoguy

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 39):

Exactly what I was thinking. I do believe that was the aircraft though. My eyesight is crap, but I am 100% sure it was either a Fokker F27 / F50. Abit of a surprise to see one of my old favourites above the skies of Belfast again! I must go down at some stage and check it out. Love the sound of those Fokkers!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

bx737

Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 23):
Any word yet on 'DUZ?

I believe it will be with us next week, more than likely on Wednesday.

Eirules

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:12 am

I know we've already discussed this but how can one tell what A332 will be operating a flight by the seat map? Im looking at EI119 DUB-IAD on Jan 7th.

thediplomat

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:59 am

Our capital city airport should not be modelled on BVA or HHN, but on CPH or OSL.

And when Ryanair succeed in dragging T2 through the courts, they will then blag on and on about how bad and overcrowded Terminal 1 is.

shamrock350

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 am

Here is EI-DUZ (soon to be)!

View Large View Medium

Photo © OlivierG

pilot21

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:19 am

Finally - a full colour scheme picture!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © OlivierG

Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

shamrock350

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:20 am

We both posted within seconds Pilot21 LOL

Great looking aircraft all the same!

pilot21

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 46):
We both posted within seconds Pilot21 LOL

Great looking aircraft all the same!

Ha ha..well it's good enough to be posted twice I reckon!!!
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

Eirules

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:56 am

LOL did anyone else notice the new EI ads on this site? The banner up the top of the page!!!

rineanna

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 48):
LOL did anyone else notice the new EI ads on this site? The banner up the top of the page!!!

Where??!! My banner is of smilies....it might come up later. There's also an Aer Arann ad on the site aswell. i saw it earlier today. It's one of the smaller ads.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos