iowaman
Topic Author

Northwest Planning Numerous Flight Cancellations

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:04 pm

Internal info has it that Northwest will be cancelling numerous flights from June 21-30 and it is going to be worse than the UAL Summer of Hell 2000. They are also asking other airlines to accept tickets without an endorsement, which is against what all the airlines agreed on last year. Three of my relatives have already been cancelled for an MSP-SLC flight on June 26 with a DL re-booking on June 27 due to "no crew available". Unions must not be wanting to work overtime or something.

AirCop

RE: Northwest Planning Numerous Flight Cancellations

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Thread starter):
Three of my relatives have already been cancelled for an MSP-SLC flight on June 26 with a DL re-booking on June 27 due to "no crew available".

At least they found out prior to going to the airport instead of having to deal with it on the 26th. .

AA737-823

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:31 pm

Seems to me like this is kinda out of the blue..... or have I not been paying attention?
Are things that bad at NW?

LAXintl

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Things have gotten messy the last week including several interesting aircraft swaps. LAX got an A333 on a DTW turn on Friday instead of the regular 757 due crew issues.

Here is a little note which was issued;

Quote:
Approximately 240 flight cancellations will occur from 22JUN through 25JUN, due to crew scheduling shortages. PNRs are being worked through the re-accommodation process. However, with the number of full flights over the next week, space is limited. To assist with re-accommodation, Reservations and Revenue Management Support (RMS) have agreed to extend the Irregular Ops policy for these travel dates.

Passengers ticketed to travel on 22JUN through 25JUN, who are affected by a cancelled flight, may rebook their travel:

Agreements are also being pursued with the other major carriers to further assist in the re-accommodation process.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jetjack74

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Internal info has it that Northwest will be cancelling numerous flights from June 21-30 and it is going to be worse than the UAL Summer of Hell 2000. They are also asking other airlines to accept tickets without an endorsement, which is against what all the airlines agreed on last year. Three of my relatives have already been cancelled for an MSP-SLC flight on June 26 with a DL re-booking on June 27 due to "no crew available". Unions must not be wanting to work overtime or something.

Well, I haven't heard anything. I asked to be released into my days off today around 3pm this afternoon, and was released. I have a LGW trip on the 26th and AFAICT, the flight is still running, with the same crew. I've looked at the reserve list for the next 4 days and there doesn't seem to be anything really out of the ordinary. We have had some 30/7 issues with some A320 and DC9 FO's. They periodically drop off a trip for a leg or two, and then reappear downline somewhere. The pilots on my last trip didn't say anything about any major pilot issues except for the norms. There are pilot requal training going on for the guys coming back off of furlough. We'll see if disaster is looming.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:56 pm

I stand corrected, there are cancellations going on, due to pilot shortages. My friend just called me and said she had 2 segemnts of her upcoming 5 day trip cancelled due to pilot shortages. So something is going on.
Made from jets!

m404

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:11 pm

I think this is not the first time for this. NW, with a current 90 percent load factor, cannot absorb these pax easily and I assume the request for interlining these without an endorsement is because they also know they don't have enough CSA's to do it properly. Too many ticket kiosks instead of agents. In reality, 240 flights is not that much system wide but it will sure put a kink in the flight completion stats and lower passenger feelings yet again. Flight crews have been trying to tel the company that this shortage was coming if I remember correctly.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

AIR757200

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:46 pm

They are also asking other airlines to accept tickets without an endorsement

Ha.. so, what's different? I can't count the number of times NW sends someone over without a proper reissue. We have to call the NW ticket counter, which they never answer, if they do, they are rude--- but I will say, the CSA help-desk in MSP are very friendly.

KingAir200

RE: Northwest Planning Numerous Flight Cancellatio

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:54 am

Unions must not be wanting to work overtime or something.

When you piss off your employees, why should they go out of their way for you? Allegedly, NWA Flight Ops told NWA Marketing that there was no way that this schedule was going to work out this summer, but I guess they didn't heed the advice, and now they are precanceling flights.

apodino

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 am

And they think they can run three LGA-DFW roundtrips a day out of hub, when they can't even run the schedule they got? No wonder the company went bankrupt.

filejw

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 am

Most domestic pilots have been flying at close their monthly max at the start of the month . Then you throw in a few days of ATC or WX delays and everybody is out of time and trips at the end of the month get dropped.Reseves included. Also some of NWA Airline partners have very high attrition rates and can't hire pilots fast enough.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:32 am

Where can we find info on cancellations?

I hope this won't affect my flight from DTW-DCA on the 28th. I am scheduled to fly out on Flight 238.

[Edited 2007-06-23 18:36:18]
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:08 am

Outbound hub cancellations today as of 1230EDT.

DTW
526 LGA
1194 BOS
346 BWI
1685 STL
384 BOS
1580 JAX
1405 ORD
1003 IND
211 SEA
1450 ORF
967 PIT
1676 LAN
283 MEM
418 MCO
657 ORD
1419 MDW
1221 DEN
1059 SAT
1180 BDL
1768 PHL
1632 PVD
1516 ALB
834 ROC
1411 ORD
1724 SDF
1770 PHL
1189 LAS

MSP
740 DTW
866 GRR
559 DEN
311 LAX
365 SFO
152 SNA
134 ORD
1707 FSD
1280 ORD
1552 MHT
182 DTW
159 SEA
195 SJC
1020 JFK
184 LGA
163 SEA
399 SMF
711 LAS

MEM
1297 DEN
295 PHX
831 DFW
632 LGA
662 CUN
634 LGA
204 ATL

Fleet Service

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:21 am

You are of course familiar with FAA imposed duty restrictions?

Why is it every time there is a personnel issue some armchair CEO/Analyst pops up with a "Unions" comment.Seems like this is a crew duty time issue, as in timing out before the end of the month.Crew Scheduling

Hey, who creates the schedules? Management.
Who decides how personnel are utilized? Management.

Who stepped on their crank whilst wearing golf shoes? Management.
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

bobnwa

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Fleet Service (Reply 13):

Please explain???

flyorski

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:27 am

If I recall correctly Mesa will be canceling a lot of flights as well. They do not have nearly enough crew.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

fridgmus

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:38 am

They are also asking other airlines to accept tickets without an endorsement

Could one of you please explain what this is and what it means?

I'm not in the Aviation Profession.

Thanks,

Marc
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

boeing743

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 am

I am surprised that they are having crew shortage problems since that they are currently has full airplanes almost every where in US and how can they be suddently shortage. I am sure something is going on with union. I would not be surprised if it is due to contract agreement or something. NW possible facing possible strike that why they are saying crew shortage rather than say has problem agreement on contract with union and that possible strike??

Tornado82

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 12):
Outbound hub cancellations today as of 1230EDT.........

Is this affecting mainline only, or is there a stack of Express (err... umm... "Airlink") cancellations as well?

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 18):
Is this affecting mainline only, or is there a stack of Express

Mainline. Express might have a cancel here or there but not directly related.

From what I understand mainline has had crew issues mostly on the DC-9/A320 fleets since about the 13th or so. Seemingly things have gotten worse with B757 also experiencing crewing issues so instead of last minute cancellations the company has started to proactively mass cancel flights.

burnsie28

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Boeing743 (Reply 17):
I am surprised that they are having crew shortage problems since that they are currently has full airplanes almost every where in US and how can they be suddently shortage

Well not as many pilots on furlough came back and it just started the summer schedule, thus they don't have enough man power.

ktrevo

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:49 am

Does anyone happen to know if this will affect NWA flight 216 SEA-DTW today 6/23/07?

airtran737

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting Fleet Service (Reply 13):
You are of course familiar with FAA imposed duty restrictions?

Why is it every time there is a personnel issue some armchair CEO/Analyst pops up with a "Unions" comment.Seems like this is a crew duty time issue, as in timing out before the end of the month.Crew Scheduling

Hey, who creates the schedules? Management.
Who decides how personnel are utilized? Management.

The unions do have a lot to do with it. If ALPA thinks that they are getting the shaft (which they do) they will tell the pilots to only fly their trips. The pilots won't pick up open time, and will do everything to extend their duty day so that they can time out. Remember that pilots can fly up to 100 hours per month, but most only get about 75-80. If they only work their guarantee and leave the open time the company will not be able to cover it all. UA did this in the summer of 2000, and it looks like NW may be doing the same.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

FI642

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:58 am

Ran into a Station Manager friend today, he said "it will only get worse."

The crews at NWA are fed-up with Chainsaw!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:17 am

Additional hub outbound cancels as of 3pm EDT.

DTW
658 EWR
1500 YYZ

MSP
1700 OMA
132 ORD
1085 YWG
604 YYZ
458 MEM
1649 DLH

MEM
880 TPA

hjulicher

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:38 am

Maybe, this is an indication that an airline can be more efficient if it used larger aircraft on certain routes. The fact that NW uses DC9's and a319 to and from DTW/MSP within minutes of each other just suggests that it would be more beneficial to fly larger aircraft domestically, especially between prominent metro areas.

These cancellations are affecting only North American Ops, and shouldn't hamper any trans-oceanic flights?
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

filejw

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:39 am

Boeing ..Not close as the pilot contract is not in negotiation except for some side letter type things.Like i said earlier all domestic pilots are scheduled to the max so when there is a problem like WX or ATC NWA has very little room for recovery. Many pilots have been working whats called high time to make up for pay cuts but you can't go over FAA monthly max's. The company wanted this contract to get the most out of every pilot but somebody never planned for big contingency's...now they are stuck with a contract that has no room for give..Just wait till the end of the yr when some of the high time guys get close to the FAA 1000 hrs per yr limit.
Airtran.. Most NWA pilots are scheduled at 88/90 so it easy with a few days of delays to go over....

worldtraveler

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:59 am

this is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected. Many airlines are running at the max during the summer because they know they cannot profitably operate the same amount of capacity in the fall and winter that they could make money with during the summer. NW has already said they intend to pull down capacity later in the year so it makes no sense for them to add any more crew now, even if means they have schedule disruptions later in the year.

The impact of this kind of stuff on employees is bad - esp. given that NW further deepened its already bad employee relations during its run through BK.

CO and DL will be the greatest beneficiaries of NW's problems insomuch as they can carry additional traffic. CO/DL/NW already have pretty liberal internal ticket swapping agreements and seem to protect inconvenienced passengers on each other before other carriers if it makes sense and seats are available - at least from what I have seen.

NW had previously said, IIRC, that they expected about a $120-150M profit this quarter. It will be interesting to see if they are financially impacted because of this. If this persists throughout the summer, it could scare off passengers who might otherwise book - although there is more than enough demand to fill the planes. NW has already said its 2nd quarter RASM will be down so any loss of premium traffic will hurt even worse.

If NW misses its financial projections so soon out of BK, it could well result in a loss of confidence in NW mgmt by its former creditors who are now its larger owners (including its unions). If those owners see a better possibility of maintaining their financial position through a merger, they might support mergers sooner than later. Since DL seems to be getting stronger, meeting its financial targets, is running a pretty good operation compared with other carriers, and was supposedly talking to NW about a future merger, it should not take a whole lot of additional analysis for DL and NW to decide to hook up. Since many of the creditors/owners in the airline industry are the same between airlines as a result of BK, they would be more than interested in having one well run company take over another company to protect their investments.

The next couple months could be very telling about the future of NW.

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:12 am

A few more cancels as of 5pm EDT.

DTW
1775 MCI
701 DFW
485 DEN
333 LAX
1437 SAT
1412 BUF

MSP
1708 DCA
1434 ATL

MEM
280 DTW

Well over 100 cancels systemwide so far today.

NorthstarBoy

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 16):
Could one of you please explain what this is and what it means?

basically, if you have a passenger traveling on a nonrefundable ticket, another airline won't accept that ticket unless Northwest "signs it over" or gives the other airline permission to accept it. Normally, if the ticket is not signed over or "endorsed" and the other airline accepts it anyway, they won't be paid by Northwest for the value of the transportation they provided the passenger, so it would be in effect like they're carrying that passenger for free. What Northwest is asking the other airlines is to accept a nonrefundable ticket, without Northwest actually signing it over, with the promise that even though the ticket has not been signed over, they'll get paid.

I hope that answers your question
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

NWADC9

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:32 am

Dang, the flights I planned on booking to MCI are on this list! Good thing I went with Midwest in the end! This is strange...
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

fridgmus

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 29):
I hope that answers your question

Yes, thanks NorthstarBoy!  bigthumbsup 

Marc
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

learpilot

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:37 am

Cancelling flights because of a lack of planning getting enough crews back on property, therefore angering many passengers and driving them to other airlines.....

Sounds like someone in management earned a million dollar bonus! $$$$$$$$$  highfive 
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

iahflyer

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):
Are things that bad at NW?

Didn't the pilots just vote no confidence or something?
Little airports with the big jets are the best!! Floyd

warreng24

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:33 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 29):
What Northwest is asking the other airlines is to accept a nonrefundable ticket, without Northwest actually signing it over, with the promise that even though the ticket has not been signed over, they'll get paid.

So have any airlines said yes to this?

Bicoastal

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting M404 (Reply 6):
I think this is not the first time for this. NW, with a current 90 percent load factor, cannot absorb these pax easily and I assume the request for interlining these without an endorsement is because they also know they don't have enough CSA's to do it properly.

Very true. A friend is a United CSR in San Diego. They get NW passengers everyday coming over with tickets that some NW contract worker in SAN said United would take. The problem is the idiot NW contract worker didn't call to find out if United had seats on the flight they sent them to and/or the idiot contract worker didn't know how to properly push the ticket to United. United has no choice but to send them back to NW in a different terminal to fix the problem...which the NW contract worker doesn't know how to do.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

SkyyMaster

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 9):
And they think they can run three LGA-DFW roundtrips a day out of hub, when they can't even run the schedule they got? No wonder the company went bankrupt.

checkmark 

With boneheaded decisions like these, most likely they haven't seen the last of BK court. AA will kill them on this particular route - if it lasts a month it'll be a shock. NW is as about a poorly run airline as I've ever witnessed, and I lived through the Lorenzo/Icahn era, so that's saying a lot.

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:37 am

Several more as of 8pm EDT

DTW
1517 GRB
759 MSP
1436 PVD
262 LGA
1132 BWI

MSP
606 YYZ
360 IND

MEM
294 DTW
1794 BOS
1511 STL
631 LIT
445 MSP

Cancellations for tomorrow are starting to be posted as well.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 37):
Cancellations for tomorrow are starting to be posted as well.

Where can I find them, or is it a NW Intranet type thing?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

LAXintl

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 38):
Where can I find them

If you are looking to a specific flight I'm sure any changes would be reflected at NWA.com

aviateur

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:23 am

Must be those greedy employees again -- those flight attendants working six days a week for $30,000 a year, or those junior pilots making $40,000.
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

burnsie28

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 40):

Must be those greedy employees again -- those flight attendants working six days a week for $30,000 a year,

You are a little high on both figures.

khelmDTW

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm

Seems NW needs to hire back the people it laid off.

(that'll never happen)  sigh 
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"

jetjack74

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:24 pm

So is anyone seeing any odd equipment subs in some places? The better not cancel 212 SEA-DTW on Monday. I would go balistic.
Made from jets!

ejmmsu

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 43):
So is anyone seeing any odd equipment subs in some places? The better not cancel 212 SEA-DTW on Monday. I would go balistic.

According to Flyertalk, NW has sent A333's on domestic runs to SEA, PDX, and LAX. (not sure if from DTW or MSP)
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

hjulicher

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Where are they getting the additional A330's from? being that it is summer season? If they have so much time to do a west coast pair, why don't they normally schedule the bigger planes for these cities. LA could defenitely use the extra capacity.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

jetjack74

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 44):
According to Flyertalk, NW has sent A333's on domestic runs to SEA, PDX, and LAX. (not sure if from DTW or MSP)

Well as long as my friend gets on it and to DTW to catch her flight to LGW
Made from jets!

asuflyer05

Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Boeing743 (Reply 17):
I am surprised that they are having crew shortage problems since that they are currently has full airplanes almost every where in US and how can they be suddently shortage. I am sure something is going on with union.

NW is not the only airline that will be having crew shortage issues this summer.

burnsie28

Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting KhelmDTW (Reply 42):
Seems NW needs to hire back the people it laid off.

They recalled all furloughed pilots, they just have not had enough accept the recall.

jblake1

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 36):
Very true. A friend is a United CSR in San Diego. They get NW passengers everyday coming over with tickets that some NW contract worker in SAN said United would take. The problem is the idiot NW contract worker didn't call to find out if United had seats on the flight they sent them to and/or the idiot contract worker didn't know how to properly push the ticket to United. United has no choice but to send them back to NW in a different terminal to fix the problem...which the NW contract worker doesn't know how to do.

I guess idiots work on both sides of the terminal as we get un-endorsed/unbooked United passengers all the time and I have no choice but to send them back down to the contract United counter to have their tickets released to us. They must be idiots down there at the United counter.. jeez...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos