Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

767-300ER
Topic Author

US-Brazil Fares

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:33 am

I was recently looking for tickets from IAH-GRU. And the fares are HIGH!! Non-stop, via DFW, MIA, ORD,JFK, ATL etc.... all around 1200, 1300 even 1400 bucks. I wanted to go this summer, but fares were too high, they are high through Dec, Jan, then I was even lookin into 08 in April, May and to no avail.... fares are still high. Ive looked on various sites, and travel agencies... and thats pretty much it. As recently as 2005 I paid 535.00 roundtrip on CO nonstop IAH-GRU nonstop. In 06 my mother payed 880 roundtrip on AA via DFW. What is going on with the fares? Are they really this high, or am I just not having luck?

AlitaliaMD11

RE: US-Brazil Fares

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:40 am

I went to Brazil in May from EWR to GRU on Continental and paid $1,089 and then booked separately on GOL to SSA.

TAM was down at $945 for a while but then rocketed up before I was ready to book.
No Vueling No Party

hardiwv

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting 767-300ER (Thread starter):
What is going on with the fares? Are they really this high, or am I just not having luck?

Flights are all packed and fares therefore are high because, inter alia:
1) RG downfall removed a lot of capacity of the market which is still not recovered by other airlines, and the new re-emerged RG/GOL decided to start long-haul operations from Brazil to Europe instead of Brazil-US;
2) the Brazilian currency has appreciated considerably in relation to the USD and many Brazilians are travelling abroad;
3) US-Brazil bilateral is heavily regulated and US carriers are using all frequencies, therefore, the bilteral is operating in its limit.

But if you look carefully you may still find some deals. Or try alternative routes such as CM via PTY; LA via SCL; AV via BOG!

Good luck!

Rgs,

eta unknown

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:57 am

As pointed out above, the best deals are on AV, CM, LA. LAX tends to be cheaper than MIA. You may need to find a US based consolidator for cheaper fares and possibly buy two tickets: IAH-LAX, LAX-GRU ($860 inc. tax on LA via LIM).

Ex IAH in AUG cheapest is AA/JJ $1016 or AM $1036- need to hunt around for which days that fare is available.

incitatus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:12 am

You have been priced out of the market because frequencies between the US and Brazil are limited by an air agreement. The idea is that the limitation will help Brazilian carriers, but in many cases it does not work like that. Continental would like to add more flights to Brazil, I believe it would be Houston-Rio, and it is lobbying the Brazilian side to get permission.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

JAM747

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:34 am

I went to Brazil from JFK to GRU roundtrip by Delta and paid about $700. Two yrs ago I went in Feb and paid about $1000 as it was close to the carnival season. I think if you buy at least 2 -3 months ahead you might get bettter deals.

LipeGIG

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:13 am

JFK become more crowded and well served and because of this it's easy to find good deals from NYC. DL, JJ and JL always offer good fares. Try JJ daylight flight, it's always a cheap option, same for DL daylight service from ATL.

To give you an idea, i booked a trip for December returning on January on C on March (10 months in advance). For the exact dates, nowadays my C ticket is only 30% more expensive than current Y prices. For the GIG-ATL flight on January 08, 2008, there are only less than 25 available Y seats.

As Hardi mentioned, demand Brazil-US is huge nowadays and at least 50% higher than 2006.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

HALFA

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:49 am

As a frequent visitor to Brazil, I can attest to the high fares from the U.S.. It's been this way for a few years now, and fares are noticeably higher with the demise of Varig's U.S. routes. Combine this with the high demand for US travellers to Rio this summer for the Pan American games and seats are hard to come by. Typically, fares are cheaper in October. Just last week, Northwest Airlines had a fare sale (yes, I realize that they don't fly to Brazil but they sell seats on their codeshare partner Delta) and they had fares from Los Angeles to Rio for $690.00, and I hadn't seen fares this low from LAX for over a year. My advice would be to check back often as I use several web search engines and check the fares on a daily basis.
Try using Kayak and Mobissimo to search fares. I'd probably wait until the Pan Am games are over before planning travel there.

Good Luck!
Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

sw733

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:53 am

As mentioned, they're always high...no real way to get around it. I flew to Brazil from the US once, and I went MCI-IAH-GRU - roundtrip was upwards of $1300 last September.

tonytifao

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:14 am

I have found that the cheapest fare by far for american is to fly out of BWI. I flew BWI-MIA-GRU 4x in May-Jun time frame and paid 730 with taxes  Smile

akizidy214

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:41 am

I suggest early November or late January. I located some fares for around $1,000. But if your going to spend the money why not just wait until February and go for carnival?   Fares are around $1,200

[Edited 2007-07-03 04:43:27]
DCA

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Did you try a consolidator? I booked TAM MIA-SSA-REC-GIG-GRU-MIA for $609 all in last November. I used www.abstravel.com to get that deal.

USFlyer MSP

donzilasse

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi,

This has been going on since last spring when RG seased their operations to the U.S. I just came back last Thursday morning from CNF/GRU to MIA and for that ticket I paid $1334 in coach with AA. The lowest price now I believe is through Mexico however the schedule is terrible. I have been looking at Kayak for end of August and at that time you can get a ticket for about $1000 with JJ.
I guess that all the airlines now tries to make as much as possible before RG will re-enter the Brazil-U.S. route hopefully next year. Another reason is that the schools here in the U.S. are out and many Brazilians therefor takes the opportunity to visit friends and family. I have never been a great fan of RG however now I will welcome them back a.s.a.p. because, it is getting way to expensive if you like me are going every 4 to 6 weeks.

Lasse

CM767

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting 767-300ER (Thread starter):
I was recently looking for tickets from IAH-GRU. And the fares are HIGH!! Non-stop, via DFW, MIA, ORD,JFK, ATL etc.... all around 1200, 1300 even 1400 bucks.

Hi, try CM's copaair.com, you can book there from MIA, LAX, JFK and MCO to GRU. the bad part is that CM's website does not show code share flights with CO. the best fare could be out of MCO
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

danild

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:20 am

Fares are high for the summer to just about anywhere, however if you email me your dates I can take a look and see if we can find anything cheaper, we have negotiated rates on Delta, and it's usually a lot cheaper without having to have 3 or 4 connections. However those days of 500 RT non-stop are long gone, you will be lucky to find something more on the 800 - 900 range.

Thanks!

www.miboleto.com
[email protected]
Danild

aio86

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:40 am

Look for a travel agency in the US and Brazil called BACC. Don't have time to search for a link or phone number now. They recently had very competitive rates on the United ORD-GRU flights (I think about $600 r/t). See if you can find it again.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos