TYCOON
Topic Author

Iberia Is The Worst Airline!

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Some of you may remember my post regarding getting bumped off an Iberia flight without any compensation whatsoever:
Getting Bumped On Iberia (by TYCOON Mar 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)

I wrote to Iberia in Madrid shortly thereafter. I have never received a response - goes to show you the low regard they have for the paying passenger!

I just learned that a friend of mine flying from Nice to Ibiza in August was informed by Iberia that the nonstop flight he had booked and for which he paid a significantly higher fare at the time than the connection flight through Barcelona has been cancelled and that he has been put on the connecting flight through Barcelona. Iberia is refusing to re-imburse him the difference in air fare (about 75-90 euros!!!). They are saying they will reimburse him the fare he paid, but he would have to buy another ticket that would be as expensive if not more expensive than when he bought it some months ago. He paid a premium at the time for a nonstop flight only to get forced on to a connecting flight with no compensation!!!

Iberia really stinks! I will no longer fly that airline (and I fly to Spain at least 10 times a year, not to mention from Europe to South America with AF, TP or AZ)! Such a disregard for passengers is unacceptable and I urge my fellow A.Netters to avoid Iberia at all cost!

HALFA

RE: Iberia Is The Worst Airline!

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:35 pm

I flew with Iberia in April from Valencia to Madrid and then the next day to Barcelona and thought they were fine. I got an inexpensive fare on their website, my flights were on time and I really liked Iberia's terminal in Madrid. I would fly with them again!
Sorry your experience wasn't as good. Stuff happens.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

viv

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:13 pm

I have nothing but good experience with Iberia.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

TriStar500

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Didn't have any problem flying IB in the last eight years (there was one incident in 1999) and while the product at least in Economy may not be great, it has ever since 1999 provided me with safe and solid transportation on at least 30 flights.

Bad luck for you, but I don't see any reason why I should change my booking patterns because you had such a bad experience.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

fraport

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:26 pm

While I may not go that far to say that IB is the worst airline, I have to say their economy product is terrible. Seat pitch is worse than on some LCCs and can somebody please tell me why a flag carrier does not serve free drinks on international flights (CMN-MAD and MAD-FRA)?

upperdeckfan

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I agree that IB customer service (in the ground/on the air) isn't comparable to other european flag carriers like BA, AF, LH, SK, etc, my belief is that the heritage of a poorly managed state owned company is to blame for it.

Saying that IB is the worst airline around is going a bit far, experience tells me that there are worse airlines even in Europe.

On the other hand I'd assume that if you fly to Spain 10 times a year plus several times to SouthAm you had flown IB many times without any issues and just a bad experience is not enough to be general,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

Eirules

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:30 pm

I have found that IB as an airlines (i.e. in the air) are fine, nothing great in economy but they offer good fares particularly to South America. I must however agree that their customer service on th ground is AWFUL. I flew from UIO-MAD once and they bumped one of our party. It was a Saturday and their was no flight on the Sunday so he had to spend another 48hours in Ecuador. To this day he is still waiting on any kind of compensation or apology.
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Toulouse

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:39 pm

While I agree that customer service is unfortunately frequently quite weak with IB, I must say I have flown the airline countless times over the past 25 years or so and find them to be a fine airline, not the best, but certainly no where near the worst.
Sorry about your bad experience Tycoon.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Chiguire

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Have you ever landed with the empty tray in front of you because they served the meal that late that there was no time to collect them ?
Have you ever arrived in Latin America without your immigration and customs card because the crew had not time at the end to distribute them ?
Have you ever waited more that 1 hour (!) until the empty trays were collected and seen that all passengers had stapled them in the aisles ?
Try IB !

FlySSC

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:42 pm

As a regular "user" of the 3 main Spanish cariers (IB, UX, JK), I would say that IB is by far my favourite and certainly not the "worst airline". It is not perfect, sometimes much better than others ... but that's the case of most airlines in world, if not ALL of them.

I avoid flying Spanair and Air Europa anytime I can.

Chiguire

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:10 pm

I think we need to make a difference between domestic/european and lonhaul flights. The shorter ones might be OK, mostly on time, new aircraft, no service. There are few things that can go wrong on a short flight.
The problem is the general customer service IF something goes wrong. An this is quite often the case on longhaul service.

VHOJF

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Unfortunately IB ground service is particularly poor - and I sympathise with your frustrating experience.

Having said that I find BA to be substantially worse - I could spend some time detailing travel disasters with them - for me BA is far worse - despite being a very frequent flyer of their's.

IB has a great new terminal in Madrid and the lounge is really very comfortable - I should disclose that I travel J class with IB. For me I find their new Business Plus service on board the A340-600 to be really excellent - they are the airline of choice for my fortnightly flights to Latin America - I recommend them over all others. Equally I observe that their European service is below average and I avoid their economy class service.

Delta777Jet

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Maybe its just the spanish mentality! I work for a european low cost airline and we fly to many spanish destinatins, and well, what works all over europe never works in Spain. No Dispatcher, nobody to remove the bridge, no push back truck, no refulling truck available, Always land on the runway which is the furthest from the terminal...welcome to spain !
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

TYCOON
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:43 pm

The experiences I described in the original post are somewhat similar in nature having occurred recently to me and to a friend. But trust me, I have had many other unpleasant experiences with IB in the past (being bumped, rude personnel, shabby aircraft, late flights, lost baggage, etc...). First time I flew IB was in August 1982! My frustration is more "This is the last straw". I have never flown IB to Latin America - wouldn't risk it judging on how poor they perform on the short-haul European and domestic flights.

My preferred mainline carrier in Spain is Spanair: at least they try to guarantee a minimum service level. On a flight last month from Ibiza to Barcelona, the flight was about 25 minutes late leaving (landed only 10 minutes late in BCN). The flight attendants handed out coupons entitling passengers to 25% off their next domestic flight on Spanair: their "On Time Guarantee". I used it for a trip next year between Barcelona and Tenerife. Ironically this (IBZ-BCN) was the flight I had to purchase following IB's bumping me off theirs! JK's flight left 30 minutes earlier than the IB one and cost me more. I had a connection with AF in Barcelona to CDG. I guess someone in the sky was shining on me because when the Spanair aircraft started the roll back in IBZ late, the IB plane hadn't even landed and was very late. Had IB not bumped me I would have most certainly missed by connection with AF, which was the last flight out that day to Paris.

I'm not a big fan of Air Europa, but would choose them in a heartbeat over IB. And then there is the fun airline Vueling!!!!

Embajador3

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:02 pm

We understand your situation and feel sorry for you. But i fly IB almost every month and they are just fine. I can't see much difference from them to KL, LH, AA or US. All flights had been pleasant and the crew were very professional and efficient. If you fly so often to South America, you may find yourself 'forced' to fly IB again, if you don't to connect a hundred times before reaching your final destination.

Regards
Flying Together

Superfly

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:23 pm

I like Iberia. I've only had one delay with them but over all I'd say they are a good airline.

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 5):
Saying that IB is the worst airline around is going a bit far, experience tells me that there are worse airlines even in Europe.

checkmark 

Aeroflot?
Bring back the Concorde

AlitaliaMD11

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:32 pm

I have flown Iberia many times and have always had a good experience with the airline in the air but I have to agree that their customer service is not the best. However I also agree that it is too much to call them the worst airline.
No Vueling No Party

TYCOON
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Embajador3, why would I be forced to fly IB to South America from Paris or anywhere else in Europe? They only serve one city more than AF-KLM on direct routing (Montevideo).
Air France flies nonstop from Paris to Caracas, Bogota, Sao Paulo (2x a day), Rio (2x a day) (please note AF has better frequencies to Brazil than IB), Buenos Aires and Santiago. And it is only a one-stop connection with KL to Lima, Quito and Guayaquil.
So, no need for IB, and no thank you.

Chiguire

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 16):
However I also agree that it is too much to call them the worst airline.

I agree here !

Quoting Embajador3 (Reply 14):
If you fly so often to South America, you may find yourself 'forced' to fly IB again, if you don't to connect a hundred times before reaching your final destination.

If you fly e.g. from CCS to FRA it is not the question of connecting 100 times but of getting a much better service on a nonstop LH flight  Wink ! So it depends where you go and if there is a competition. On CCS-MAD I still prefer S3 and UX rather than IB - in Eco !

JoKeR

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting TYCOON (Thread starter):
Iberia really stinks!

Hey sorry to hear about your misfortunate journey but I flew on IB a few times and can say that they are not the worst, rather your typical, large European airline, no better or worse than most of the continent's carriers.

Their European sectors are pretty good; was not impressed with their 742 economy product to HAV a few years back, but their upgraded fleet and onboard service do not deserve the label you are attaching.

Superfly

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 19):
was not impressed with their 742 economy product to HAV a few years back, but their upgraded fleet and onboard service do not deserve the label you are attaching.

An Iberia 747-200 to Iberia?  drool 
How could that possibly be a bad thing?
A cool vintage aircraft to a fun destination. Does Cubana use there IL-62 on this route or there new IL-96?
Bring back the Concorde

TYCOON
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:24 pm

I flew on an Iberia B747-200 'Lope de Vega' from Madrid to JFK in August 1982. At the time, Iberia had a very strange way of dividing the smoking and non-smoking sections of the aircraft - right down the middle!!!!! So if you were seated in the middle section, you would sit next to a smoker. On the DC-9-32 I flew a few days prior to that from CMN to AGP, the aisle separated smoking and non-smoking!!! Very strange!

Superfly

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 21):
I flew on an Iberia B747-200 'Lope de Vega' from Madrid to JFK in August 1982. At the time, Iberia had a very strange way of dividing the smoking and non-smoking sections of the aircraft - right down the middle!!!!!

Wow I remember that. I flew a Iberia 747-200 on the same route. That was when we had a 6 hour delay in Madrid due to no ice on the plane. There had been a engine repair done as we were waiting in the terminal. Then boarded the aircraft and all the ice had melted. More ice had to be brought on board. After all, we need that for our cocktails. I don't mind those kinds of delays.  Wink
I never forget that flight because some kids behind us wanted to have a pillow fight with me and my sister.  boggled 
Bring back the Concorde

ZRH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Fraport (Reply 4):
Seat pitch is worse than on some LCC

I agree. A few weeks ago I flew on a IB A 319 from MAD to ZRH. The new seats were quite good but the pitch almost "non existent". It was the worst pitch I ever experienced within Europe. Service on board is bad (you even pay € 1.50 for water) and the captain did not say one word to the passengers during the whole 2 hour flight. Actually when I have a short flight I don't care about service. But when I can choose between Swiss or IB I take Swiss anytime.

upperdeckfan

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 18):
On CCS-MAD I still prefer S3

Do you mean you'd rather fly S3 than IB?

Every venezuelan I know would rather fly IB on CCS-MAD since every one of them had experience at least one delay of more than 12 hours on this route. When I say every one of them I mean at least 10 people over the last 3 years.The only reason people keep flying S3 to MAD is because they offer cheaper fares than IB and also to take advantage of their domestic network in Venezuela.

Have to mention that some of my friends have had family on emergency landings on their "newly acquired" 767, not to speak about the retired DC10.
DSH8, CS1,CS3

Chiguire

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 24):
Have to mention that some of my friends have had family on emergency landings on their "newly acquired" 767, not to speak about the retired DC10.

Pls. do not forget that this flight is still operated by an Icelandair aircraft and so my Icelandair crew. So if you talk about "emergency landings" you refer to FI, not S3 in this case - IF it is the case !

YES !

Every venezuelan I know would rather fly IB on CCS-MAD since every one of them had experience at least one delay of more than 12 hours on this route. When I say every one of them I mean at least 10 people over the last 3 years.T

10 people in 3 years is not an awful lot ! let's talk about the people that had a bad experience on IB within the last 3 years. Start with me and count 3 flights out of 3.
So this is no point for me. The chance of a delayed S3 flight might be slightly higher, but I prefer the kind and warm S3 service 100 times over the IB "service".

Embajador3

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 17):
Embajador3, why would I be forced to fly IB to South America from Paris or anywhere else in Europe? They only serve one city more than AF-KLM on direct routing (Montevideo).
Air France flies nonstop from Paris to Caracas, Bogota, Sao Paulo (2x a day), Rio (2x a day) (please note AF has better frequencies to Brazil than IB), Buenos Aires and Santiago. And it is only a one-stop connection with KL to Lima, Quito and Guayaquil.

Well, could you tell me what other airline flies non-stop to SJU, SJO,PTY, for example; and what other airline offers so many connections within the Americas? no other airlines has as many partners as IB has.
Anyway, that was not the point. You are free to choose the way you get to your final destination. However, any personal comments regarding a specific airline, should be kept by yourself. It really doesn't reflect reality, just your personal experience.

Regards,
Flying Together

Embajador3

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 17):

Well, could you tell me what other airline flies non-stop to SJU, SJO,PTY, for example; and what other airline offers so many connections within the Americas? no other airlines has as many latinamerican partners as IB.
Anyway, that was not the point. You are free to choose the way you get to your final destination. However, any personal comments regarding a specific airline, should be kept to yourself. It really doesn't reflect reality, just your personal experience.

Regards,
Flying Together

AeroMexico777

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:43 am

HI!

From my particular point of view I could say that IB isnt the WORST airline of all... I ve flown with them from MEX to MAD and, actually was the worst trans-atlantic crossing Ive ever had. The service was rude and we were about 4 hours late... Having my own share of bad experiences aboard I repeat: Even IB isnt the best they arent the worst... Belive Me... (Try the old Aerocalifornia)

For our own luck here in MEX we have AM, AF, KL, LH and BA...

Regards, AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

TYCOON
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:07 am

Embajador3, last I checked SJU, SJO and PTY are not in South America. After I posted my earlier list of South American destinations, I realized that actually AF-KL fly to more South American cities directly from Europe than does IB: I forgot to add Cayenne and Paramaribo.

If you are talking about Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean, then let's have a look:

IB: MEX, SDQ, SJU, PTY, SJO and GUA
AF-KL: MEX, SDQ, PUJ, FDF, PTP, SXM, AUA, BON, CUR

Once again, no need to fly IB to that region of the world either, AF-KL has it covered and better service. In fact, technically, Air France has more frequent service from CDG to MEX than IB has from MAD to MEX.

So while I am "reflecting reality" by providing statistics to prove that you aren't required to make 100 connections to reach your final destination in LATIN America, you seem to continue to not reflect reality by forgetting your geography lessons and not looking up easily available on-line timetables.

The whole purpose of this forum is to discuss and exchange thoughts, ideas and OPINIONS about the airline industry. I wish my unfortunate experiences with IB were not reality, but they sadly are and sadly, I am not the only one that has suffered from this poor excuse of an airline.

Embajador3

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:10 am

TYCOON, please, don't take it personal.

Quoting Embajador3 (Reply 27):
many connections within the Americas?

That is what a i wrote, PTY, SJU and SJO are part of the american continent. I do not wish to make this thread a discussion btw you and me. I did never insult, however you seem to use your sarcasm against me.
Anyway, keep flying whatever airline better suits you.

Rgds
Flying Together

rogerbcn

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:37 am

Hola!

I have flown IB for a long time: Spanish, European and across the pond routes. All my long haul flights have been on Business Plus, quite a consistent product with a few exceptions: sometimes the crews are so so, non-smiling, no-eye contact... ,feeling you are doing them a favor, sometimes even rude from my point of view. Food and seats are really nice. For the other destinations I have used a combination of both classes: Economy and Business. For short intra-Europe, and in Spain not bad, nothing exceptional at all but quite OK for th price you pay. I have to say they done OK for my luggage, never lost while it has happened to me on LH and KL. Day after delivery at my home, I have to say, so nothing bad.

I have never received a response - goes to show you the low regard they have for the paying passenger!

I have to give you a 100% credit on this, it has happened to me on two occasions I have written to them. It pisses me off not to have an answer; it is really pitiful seeing how much they ignore their passengers when you write to them. The only way to solve it was: going to one of IB offices in town or calling them. I was really impressed to see how nice a lady was on the phone and so I told her... I think being a Gold card holder helped a lot... which is as well pretty sad. I pay my flight fares, as well as any other passenger so as long as I would avoid calling them the worst airline I have to say that this might be true for their customer service.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

mkirch72

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:30 am

Iberia really stinks! I will no longer fly that airline (and I fly to Spain at least 10 times a year, not to mention from Europe to South America with AF, TP or AZ)! Such a disregard for passengers is unacceptable and I urge my fellow A.Netters to avoid Iberia at all cost!

I've flown them since 1995 back and forth from the states and a two year stint domestically within Spain and I've never had a problem with them. I can understand your feelings about them, but your experience is not going to stop me from flying an airline I have never had a problem on.

When you fly millions of pax every year, not every encounter is going to be a good experience. It is the nature of the beast. I have found IB's crews to be professional and competent and when I have had "issues", such as a lost bag left in MAD on the Puente Aereo to BCN, I found them to be efficient and cooperative. I had my bag back within hours delivered to my hotel. Again - nothing spectacular, but done as expected.

My only complaint about IB is the complete lack of legroom on the Puente Aereo between MAD and BCN. I am 6'5 and the legroom is TORTURE!!!

But besides that -- I will certainly keep flying them.

abrelosojos

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 19):
Hey sorry to hear about your misfortunate journey but I flew on IB a few times and can say that they are not the worst, rather your typical, large European airline, no better or worse than most of the continent's carriers.

= Very well said. I think IB is a pretty crappy airline ... but it is in the league of other large other crappy Euro carriers.

= Actually, I would also rather fly on S3 than IB. IB's ground and air crew personnel are absolutely horrid. To be frank, I usually fly TP to MAD via LIS.

-A.
Live, and let live.

ThePRGuy

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting Fraport (Reply 4):
(CMN-MAD and MAD-FRA)?

Or MAD-LHR, a 2hr flight.
No drink or nibbles - even bmi will give you a drink free these days - despite what they say.

IB is by no means "the worst airline", but I wouldn't fly with them again. Thats for sure.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

KLAM

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:33 am

Well, having heard nothing but horror stories about Iberia, when I had no option than going with IB from MAD to LHR I expected for the worst, specially since I lived for some time in Spain, and Spaniards speak their minds a lot, so sometimes they seem really harsh, but it is nothing like that. When I was at check in, the lady at the desk was a bit tired, since it was really early morning, but she was kind to me, and since I had to pay for some extra luggage, I had to return to find that she was arguing with a woman that had lost her flight to LHR (the one before mine) for going to Panama City since she came an hour before, and though most of the IB employees scolded her, she got on the direct flight.
To say the least, I found Iberia to be extremely pleasant... I couldn't ask for anything else, they get good fares and their turnovers are longer so you can expect safety onboard. Furthermore, the A321 was pretty new and spotless. The whole IB staff had an impressive image, they all looked fancy, nobody chewing gum, and the FA's were present during most of the flight.
Flight attendants were really kind, there was a group of kids onboard, and one of the girls was having a tough time with ear pressure, and the purser came frequently to check on her.
By far an excelent experience, much better than what you get on AA or UA, only drawback is the food for sale, but that's pretty much the standard nowadays.

IB is my second favourite after KL and AM.

KL-AM
flyOM

malaysia

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:00 pm

I had a bad experience with Iberia, Why? Because I missed my chance to fly an IB A340 that I was regularly scheduled on, but the IB agents were very cool and extremely helpful at MAD. They did everything to get me home and even it required me to transit via LHR twice in day! yes twice  Smile But MAAS helps me get through faster anyway.

My BA flight was delayed into MAD and I missed my connection, and IB had to fight through all the sold out flights to try to get me out the same day, so they put me back on BA via LHR again. but they were very clear and helpful with me.

A shame I never had the chance to experience the inflight experience. But I experienced Club Europe though.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

civilav

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:08 pm

I urge my fellow A.Netters to avoid Iberia at all cost!

Tycoon, I could not agree more with you !
I decided to stop flying IBERIA at all on thursday July 10th 1975 and have stuck to my word since.
I used to live in the UK (my parents and relatives were in Spain) and used to fly at least 5 times a year between Madrid and London between 1970 and 1979.
Service in those days was hardly different to today's: arrogant, insolent and despondent.
On that occasion, the check in clerk refused to let my luggage go all the way to Barcelona (my cousin was being ordained as a priest there and I took a flight which, in those days, was LHR-MAD-BCN) despite the fact that I would do customs in Barcelona. I had to call in the Station Manager (a Briton, not a fellow Spaniard) who eventually allowed my stuff to be booked all the way to its final destination.

Every year after that, I flew British Airways (BEA had already ceased to exist) and was only too happy to oblige for their service was literally faultless always and if planes were late sweet stewardesses made sure you got over your annoyance with their sweet manner and politeness. Forget patriotism !!!
And I want to tell everyone here that I used to be an ardent IBERIA fan, not least because I had an uncle who used to work for INI (Iberia's ex-Holding Company) at a high level and I would get free rides on occasions or access to departments and areas of the company normally out of bounds to most people. I was 13 at the time (1969 I mean).

IBERIA has hardly changed one bit in the area of consumer affairs and customer service since the Franco era.
Indeed, now that I am in Mexico and, especially, Cancún where we get regular Air Europa services, I make a point of warning passengers off UX as I have heard stories of lost luggage, missed connections and lack of disregard for the consumer reminiscent of IBERIA. On one occasion they just "disappeared" off their screens bookings made by my agency and already paid for of a group of 12 people who had purchased their tickets like two months before their flight was due. They substituted All Inclusive tourists from their own tour operations in Spain and filled the plane bumping off locals. It took them 3 days, no apologies and a ruined tour of Europe with no compensation, to make good their misdeed. What a difference with Aeroméxico or Mexicana !

Greetings from Cancún !

Caymanair

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:35 pm

You think Iberia is bad? Have you ever flown American Airlines??? now that is the world's WORST carrier!

Avianca

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:36 pm

all what I can say about Iberia is....
Iberia, A Nightmare Airline! (by Avianca Dec 6 2005 in Civil Aviation)
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

justlump

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Try flying Olympic...that will make you appreciate Iberia! But I guess thats a different thread.

Boeingluvr

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting VHOJF (Reply 11):
Having said that I find BA to be substantially worse - I could spend some time detailing travel disasters with them - for me BA is far worse - despite being a very frequent flyer of their's.

Obviously a matter of opinion. I for example always had to fly WS domestically and had no choice but AC from YYC internationally. Since BA flew in, I've had the pleasure of flying with them and have had nothing but excellence. Now I fly BA anywhere I can if I can. I'll spend the extra buck even just to get on their flight.

IB I have never flown. Parents moved to Madrid this summer and I'll be going frequently. I'll have to try IB out perhaps. Although I do prefer spending mroe for more quality service and seating so from what I've heard I'll probably end up with BA at the end of the day as I usually do!

Toulouse

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting Civilav (Reply 37):
I decided to stop flying IBERIA at all on thursday July 10th 1975 and have stuck to my word since.

Come on Civilav, how can you compare the Iberia from the end of the Franco era to the Iberia of the modern country that Spain is today?

Quoting Civilav (Reply 37):
Service in those days was hardly different to today's: arrogant, insolent and despondent.

How can you say that? You just said you have not flown IB since July 10th 1975 yet you somehow still seem to know what the service is like on an airline you haven't flown with for 30 years???

I do understand TYCOON with regard to his anger and frustration regarding getting no response to his letter from IB. I have had similar experiences, and to be honest just don't bother writing to them as I know it's a waist of time. I had a bad experience with IB (the flight was operated by Air Nostrum, who are EXCELLENT) on a TLS - MAD flight last year. Basically one flight went tech, all the pax from the flight that went tech were put onto our flight (both flights were fully booked). The handling agents in Toulouse were also furious. They said they had been asking IB to send another a/c, but answer was a simple NO. They asked IB in Madrid authorisation to give cupons for drinks for delayed pax, answer was NO. There was an AF flight leaving for MAD which has a few empty seats, they asked IB in MAD for authorisation to transfer some of the pax onto the AF flight, the answer was NO. And do you know what AF and the IB handling agents (not IB in TLS) did, they just ignored IB and AF offered to take as many of the delayed IB pax with connections in MAD on their AF flight for FREE. I would say that that day IB lost a few pax to AF. Anyway, we ended up leaving the following morning instead of at 4pm as planned, but that was my choice, as when I saw the chaos been caused by IB, I asked the handling agents (already after passings security to departures) to let us out and put us on a flight the following morning... they obliged. I asked the women at teh IB handling agent's ticket desk in TLS for a number to complain to IB, but they said all they had was an address to write to and she severely doubted I'd ever hear back from them.
In 25 years flying Iberia, this is really the only serious problem I've ever had with IB. Back in the 80's I suffered many delays on their 727 services from DUB to MAD or AGP, but that was just the way things were back then. My parents had an emergency manding on an IB 727 from DUB to BCN on their way to AGP in the mid 90's, apparently the crew were marvelous (it was due to a warning light indicating that the undercarriage hadn't locked into place, so they feared it would collapse on arrival). All went well, crew were kind, caring and professional according to my parents, and the pax were received like heroes upon arrival in BCN with ground crews clapping as they disembarked, all pax were brought to a VIP lounger, offered a wide variety of beverages and services from champagne to medical attention for nervous pax. Connecting pax were told they could either continue, if they preferred IB would put them up in hotels in BCN for the night and they could fly the next day, or if they were too nervous after the incident, IB would organise alternative modes of transport for them. After a scary experience, and thanks to the very caring and professional service, my parent's opinion of IB only increased. I too had an emergency landing with LH in FRA enroute to DUB just after take-off due to an engine fire. We were treated coldly and terribly. Won't go into it now, but the treatment was so bad the police were called onto the a/c as a group of German doctors caused uproar saying they were going to cause LH a big headache as they had no right to treat their pax as they were. Result, I refused to fly LH again... silly? Yes, I ended up flying them about 4 years later as I had no choice, and all 4 flights were fine. I wrote a letter to LH complaining, not about the emergency of course, but about the awful treatment we received after the ordeal, and they did answer simply saying something like "We are sorry about your bad experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you onboard another LH flight soon!". That really helped!
I admit I have never flown them longhaul. I know many people who do frequently and generally have no problems. Back in 2001 when I got married in Spain, just a couple of weeks after 9/11, my sister's then boyfriend was living in the states. He came to the wedding connecting from AA (I think) to an IB flight to MAD from JFK. The AA flight was delayed, and landed when he was supposed to be boarding. The crew told him he would miss his connection. But what happened? As he came off the flight there wss an IB agent waiting for him at the gate, brought him straight back down to the tarmac were a car was waiting and brought him to the already fully boarded IB flight to MAD ensuring him they would do their best to ensure his luggage would make it, and they managed it. It was his first time flying IB and he was very impressed.
Apart from that, and after some 25 years of flying IB many times within Europe and domestically in Spain, I always enjoyed my flights, found the staff to be professional, and often to be great fun. They have never once in 25 years lost my luggage. Catering standards have dropped after 9/11, as on other carriers, but I still find them to be a fine airline.
One thing I think as I see most complaints come from foreigners, is that the problem is due to a lack of understanding of Spanish culture. Service standards in Spain in general are very different to other western countries, nothing bad about that, it's just the way they are. No I have seen many foreigners go up shouting and acting quite arrogantly to IB staff (and other customer relations entities in Spain) and that does not work with the Spaniards. An understanding smile gets you far, that's the technique I've always used in Spain and it's always worked in my favour.
Sure, IB is not the best airline in the world regarding srevice, but they are NO WHERE NEAR being the worst. They are average, better than many airlines, worse than others, but they are a professional and safe airline I have no hesitation in flying or recommending.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Boeingluvr

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 pm

lol wow that's all I can say.

Parabolica

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:56 pm

dear all,

TYCOON, I feel your pain.

Although I would also not go so far as to call IB the worst airline, it is a disgrace of a flag carrier, and unfortunately very indicative of service in this country. Some days, at best, it is fine, perhaps almost on par with an American carrier, but certainly nowhere near the levels of an LH or KL. As has been mentioned, the lack of free meals and drinks on international (within Europe) flights, and the completely useless ground staff make Ryanair look like Emirates by comparison. Spanair is a particular bugbear of mine, offering service levels that must be akin to those in an Soviet gulag.

Iberia has been in trouble and made its bed by turning its economy product into a low cost competitor. I think because most Spaniards, already used to the generally poor service levels in this country would at least like to save some money then pay more for higher standards that may or may not be forthcoming. We tend to be suspicious of that kind of promise since any disappointment inevitably makes it seem like a scam.

I never fly with IB except to VCE, because of lack of choice. I have made the mistake of trying Alpi Eagles, a Venetian start up only to get there very late, and the return leg was delayed by almost 4 hours. Last time I went, I paid extra to fly IB instead of Vueling and to my utter horror discovered that my IB ticket got me on a flight operated by MyAir, some hitherto unkown Italian start up. The service was ok, but they lost my baggage. On the ground at VCE, I was told that the airline did not offer any compensation, that they didn't know where my bag was, and that when it arrived, I would have to come collect it myself at the airport. "Not an Iberia flight, so you will have to sort it out with MyAir". I was gien a photocopied sheet of paper with a hotline on it to call. It was an automated call center in Rome. The return leg was operated by another start up, Clickair. All in all an embarrassing trip.

My advice is enjoy Spain once on the ground. But fly here with someone else.

Regards
P-
oh please let there never be cell phones in airliners...

TYCOON
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:09 pm

Embajador3, you initially wrote in your first response:

"If you fly so often to South America, you may find yourself 'forced' to fly IB again, if you don't to connect a hundred times before reaching your final destination"

and I responded saying that AF-KL are fine for me on flights to South America, and subsequently I realized that AF-KL actually fly to more cities in South America than IB does.

Then you responded about some Central American and Caribbean cities to which I responded again that AF-KL serves more in this zone from Europe.

Now, if you ask which airline has more connections to the Americas than IB (which is what you ask), then that is even worse, because the Americas include the US and Canada.

So, let's have a look then between IB and AF-KL:

CANADA: IB: 0 ; AF-KL: 3 (YUL, YYZ, YVR)

US: IB: 5 (BOS, JFK, IAD, MIA, ORD); AF-KL: 14 (BOS, JFK, EWR, PHL, IAD, ATL, MIA, CVG, ORD, DTW, IAH, SEA, SFO, LAX)

MEXICO, CENTRAL AMERICA and CARIBBEAN: IB: 7 (MEX, SJO, PTY, GUA, HAV, SDQ, SJU), AF-KL: 10 (MEX, HAV, SDQ, PUJ, SXM, PTP, FDF, AUA, BON, CUR)

SOUTH AMERICA: IB 10 (GIG, GRU, MVD, EZE, SCL, CCS, LIM, UIO, GYE, BOG); AF-KL: 11 (GIG, GRU, EZE, SCL, CCS, LIM, UIO, GYE, BOG, PBM, CAY)

So, in the AMERICAS, IB offers direct flights to 22 cities, AF-KL offers direct flights from Europe to 38 cities.

Embajador, I am not picking on you personally, I am just reflecting reality and stating the facts: from Europe, AF-KL offer much better connections to the Americas than does IB. You suggested IB did which is not the truth.

As far as my unfortunate experiences with IB, I should have stated three things:
1) I am a big fan of Spain, the Spanish people and culture, y tambien hablo castellano - estudie en Salamanca!
2) I really like Air Nostrum - I consider it the best European regional carrier I have flown to date
3) I have flown Iberia 29 times, Air Nostrum 6x and Aviaco (when it existed) 1 time.

upperdeckfan

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 45):
I have flown Iberia 29 times

It's amazing you being able to keep track of how many times you've flown a given carrier  Wow!

Quoting Boeingluvr (Reply 41):
IB I have never flown. Parents moved to Madrid this summer and I'll be going frequently. I'll have to try IB out perhaps.

I'd recommend you yo try IB from ORD at least once, so you'll have first hand feeling about them. If you've become a BA FF you can earn miles flying combining BA/AA/IB
DSH8, CS1,CS3

TYCOON
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:08 pm

UPPERDECKFAN, ever since I was a kid, I have been keeping a Passenger Log of every flight I have taken since August 1978 (almost 30 years). I recently entered all this data in Flightmemory.com (took me awhile). Once all the data is in there, you can select flights taken by criteria (ie airline, aircraft, etc...).

PM

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 5):
experience tells me that there are worse airlines even in Europe.

checkmark  Have you ever flown Olympic?!

Quoting VHOJF (Reply 11):
IB ground service is particularly poor

Agreed - in my experience.

BOAC911

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Iberia's Business Plus product is a great improvement over the old business class. Iberia has improved considerably. Ground staff usually needs more training, especially communication skills, sensitvity training.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos