UAL-Fan

RE: The Coming U.S Airline Crashes. YT Video

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:08 am

I think he is a little drunk or something but I do agree with alot of what he is saying. If you fly often you know that the entire system is at a breaking point. It is an accident waiting to happen.

freshlove1

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:39 am

www.pilotjobs.com click on the airline of yout choice and it should show you what you need to qualify

OPNLguy

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 38):
250TT? Who is he working for, Trans States?

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 42):
He flies for Piedmont.

Quoting N710PS (Reply 43):
Or PSA. Same standard. I agree with that being acarey. 250 and you barely got your ears dried off in the cockpit all together. At least another 100 before you start entering your aviation pubescence.

In the following link Freshlove1 was kind enought to provide, the minimums were Trans States @ 250, Piedmont @ 500, and PSA @ 600. Although the guy in the video seems to make it sound like the entire industry is @ 250 hours, most of the airlines listed in the link above range from 500-1,200 hours as a minimum.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

freshlove1

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 am

www.airlinepilotcentral.com This one gives all the info for a large group of Regionals, Legacy, and LCC airlines. When you are on the page click on airlines at the upper left hand corner and it will lead you to the page then click away on the catagory of your choice

doug_or

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 52):
In the following link Freshlove1 was kind enought to provide, the minimums were Trans States @ 250, Piedmont @ 500, and PSA @ 600. Although the guy in the video seems to make it sound like the entire industry is @ 250 hours, most of the airlines listed in the link above range from 500-1,200 hours as a minimum.

Piedmont has been and continues to hire FOs with less than 300 hours. PSA has, mesa has, and others may soon follow.
When in doubt, one B pump off

XJetflyer

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:31 pm

I'm fine with this video. I think he's sharing a concern for the people who trust the airline industry and FAA blindly. There is nothing wrong with what he said. To me it's all true some what. I for one will not be in denial when it comes to the fact that there are pilots with very little time flying these aircraft.

n710ps

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Trust me, right now PSA's minimum is Multi, Instument multi commercial. If you have those and a good medical you are pretty much hired.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

jhooper

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 56):
Trust me, right now PSA's minimum is Multi, Instument multi commercial. If you have those and a good medical you are pretty much hired.

Holy cow! I didn't believe you at first but I went to their website and you're absolutely right! (actually it doesn't say anything about an instrument rating  Smile I guess that's as low as it gets--what is this industry coming too? I had those qualifications when I was 19 one year out of high school! When I was "job hunting" right out of college in 2003, it was near impossible to find a good flight instructing job--nobody was hiring, and only the guys with a few years of being a CFI under their belt could be considered for the regionals with like 1500TT!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

DashTrash

Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:15 pm

This thread has been some good reading.

The guy who made that video is a personal friend of mine. He is in no way, shape, or form a lunatic. I wouldn't hesitate to put my wife on his airplane.

What he is, is a pilot who used to work for the regional carrier that was such a good place to work that the hiring minimums were almost the same as what most majors were. It was a place where pilots wanted to fly, and a regional that guys retired from because there was no need to move on.

The airline has now become a company where they have to bribe pilots with a $5000 bonus after working there for one year. The airline is so short on FOs that they've parked airplanes. Guys get hired there with low time, build up to 1000 total hours, and move on to a different regional.

He's not referring to every FO. He's referring to the ones who have never had to make a command decision in an airplane and lack the ability to do so because of inexperience. He feels, as do I, that the cockpit of an airliner of any size is not where you learn to fly.

ryanrap1

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 am

I have requested this thread be deleted effective IMMEDIATELY.....That man has no idea what he is talking about, and that shouldnot be posted...If I knew the airline he flew for I would DEFINETLY REPORT HIM!

n710ps

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Ryanrap1 (Reply 59):

Grow up, be quiet and give it a rest. Also grow up and when you have spent a few hundred hours minimum in an airliner in any size range at all. he has a few point but he says a few things I do not agree with.

doug_or

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:14 am

I have requested this thread be deleted effective IMMEDIATELY.....That man has no idea what he is talking about, and that shouldnot be posted...If I knew the airline he flew for I would DEFINETLY REPORT HIM!

YGTBFSM

First read the thread.

Second, he knows exactly what hes talking about. You don't have to agree with him, and he might not be right, but he knows a hell of a lot more than you do.

And btw, you don't need to announce that you've suggested deletion. We can already tell you're an easily flustered tool without that little tid-bit. If you want to spam the mods with baseless requests, there's really no need to bother the rest of us with that info.
When in doubt, one B pump off

LGAtoIND

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:37 am

If I knew the airline he flew for I would DEFINETLY REPORT HIM!

He flies for Piedmont.

ahdharia

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 33):
That's because they can't afford the cost in their home countries. Countries who have adopted User Fee systems very much like that Marion Blakey's FAA wants to shove up our aft openings.

Actually thats incorrect. Yes the EU has very high GA fees when it comes to training and GA flying. However some countries around the world doesnt have a proper training system in place for training well trained/qualified pilots. Hence why they are coming here. In fact a lot of airlines in different countries prefer hiring pilots who have received training in the USA versus their own country.

ahdharia

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 46):
So you call it unsafe and then right in the next sentence say you trained with these young bucks and think they are safe. So, is it unsafe or is it safe?

My apologies for that...it was a typo. I meant to say that However with the lowered minimums, I still call that very SAFE.

drexotica

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 5):
And if you don't know what that refers to it's the apartments/houses that pilots and flight attendants share with 2-20 other crewmembers at the domicile. Pilots and FAs that live out of base use them rather than buying a certain amount of hotel rooms per month when they can't get home on the last day of a trip or have to come in the night before a trip starts.

Apparently, the cabin crew have been doing this for years (i.e., certainly in the 1960s) - the old entertaining classic "Coffee, Tea, or Me?" book by Trudy Baker and Rachel Jones discusses at length the Stew Zoos that they lived in in NYC. Not much different from a frat by their accounts (of course, substituting stewardess for frat boys, and discarding the goats)...
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

pr1268

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 22):
Many european airlines do. LH and LX for example like many other european carriers have their own training program. they take 0 hour street guys and put them through their own training, finishing with some A320 FOs having less then 300 hours.

It would seem that the benefit of doing this is that the airline performing the training does not have to get the students to "unlearn" a bunch of habits (good or bad) from some other flight instruction regime. The airline can teach the average Joe/Jane Blow off the street how to do things their way.

Of course, the downside to this strategy is the disgustingly high cost of full ATP training (not to mention that, upon completion of the training, the pilot must commit to working for that airline for several years - correct me if I'm wrong here).
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

0newair0

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 46):
It takes an EXTREME breakdown in communication like in the recent Comair crash

The Comair crash was an example of what not to do in a cockpit. First, the started up the wrong plane. Then, they shut down the wrong plane, started the right plane in a hurry and taxied out while talking about life in general. And the Captain was basically taking a nap (litterally) while taking the runway.

What irks me the most is that when the Co-pilot woke up from his coma or whatever his first words were "why did God do this to me?!"
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

Kuna

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting 0NEWAIR0 (Reply 67):
First, the started up the wrong plane. Then, they shut down the wrong plane

They never started up the wrong plane, just got on board.

Quoting 0NEWAIR0 (Reply 67):
What irks me the most is that when the Co-pilot woke up from his coma or whatever his first words were "why did God do this to me?!"

Lets not start this again.
Pinnacle Airlines

KELPkid

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 am

Doesn't this gentleman's company have a policy about speaking up in public, on camera, be it the 11 O'clock news or your own video on YouTube?

I mean, this could be some seriously bad PR for his company...imagine, you've watched the video on YouTube, and lo and behold, when you get up front at your destination as you deplane, look who's waiting to shake your hand  Yeah sure
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

n710ps

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 69):

I think he is retired if I am not mistaken. Again I do not work for his company and thus do not know him but he is under the same umbrella and on one hand I would say that if word arrives around the company there would probably be major issues not to mention alot of his F/O's would probalbly create a ruckus. Now on the other hand I would imagine that he would be kept due to that carriers desperate need for pilots if he is indeed with EN.

XJetflyer

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:23 am

I'm proud of him and would love to fly on his a/c if he is not retired. We need more people like him to take a stand on safety. THe all mighty $$$ is not everything!

SPREE34

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:51 am

What are you talking about? Oh,..... that's right,...... you DON'T KNOW!

Here's some fee advice if you are planning a career in aviation. For about the next 8 years keep your ears, eyes and books open, but keep your mouth shut unless asking a question. That guy, and the other posters here have forgotten more about aviation matters than you'll learn in the next 2 years.

You need a review in spelling as well. The site will even do it for you.

[Edited 2007-07-06 23:53:49]
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

SansVGs

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 52):

I agree, and those are competitive times for those who "know people." No worries on low timers though. It feels like we are at the peak of the aviation business cycle in the US. Unfortunately, a slower economy lays ahead. Even SWA seems to be tightening the belt.
Winglets on a Falcon are "over-painting" a great work of art.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos