FLYGUY767

RE: AA JFK-STN Eff 28OCT07; DFW/RDU-LGW Switch To LHR

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 49):
...I don't expect to see BA ever flying to SJC with SFO so close....MaxJet would be a good bet...personally, I would like to see AA fly to LGW

I am a big fan of Gatwick, but it is becoming harder and harder to fly into in recent years..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

jacobin777

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 50):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 49):
...I don't expect to see BA ever flying to SJC with SFO so close....MaxJet would be a good bet...personally, I would like to see AA fly to LGW

I am a big fan of Gatwick, but it is becoming harder and harder to fly into in recent years..

I've never flown to LGW...only to LHR....though personally, I think after this year I might prefer to start flying JFK-STN on AA-which would probably be easier for my family over LHR....that being said, AA no longer flies SJC-JFK, but rather SJC-LAX/ORD/DFW..all which either have (LAX/ORD) or will have (DFW) LHR services..so I guess its LHR for me.....not that I have a problem with LHR from a spotters point of view.. biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

FLYGUY767

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 51):
I've never flown to LGW...only to LHR....though personally, I think after this year I might prefer to start flying JFK-STN on AA-which would probably be easier for my family over LHR....that being said, AA no longer flies SJC-JFK, but rather SJC-LAX/ORD/DFW..all which either have (LAX/ORD) or will have (DFW) LHR services..so I guess its LHR for me.....not that I have a problem with LHR from a spotters point of view..

Stansted is a great airport as well.. It is a lot more serene than the hubbub of Heathrow. It is very interesting the first time I landed at Stansted, on an Eos flight from JFK I thought it was all to easy breezing through customs. You will like Stansted a lot. As far as Heathrow, it reminds me of chaos everytime I see it. Another great London airport is City, it is a great small airport in the heart of the city that is great as a springboard to other European cities..

Happy Flying!

-JD

jacobin777

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 52):

Stansted is a great airport as well.. It is a lot more serene than the hubbub of Heathrow. It is very interesting the first time I landed at Stansted, on an Eos flight from JFK I thought it was all to easy breezing through customs. You will like Stansted a lot. As far as Heathrow, it reminds me of chaos everytime I see it. Another great London airport is City, it is a great small airport in the heart of the city that is great as a springboard to other European cities..

..thanks for the heads up.. thumbsup ...

My family doesn't live too far away from LYC..so it would be quite cool to fly out of there..... yes 
"Up the Irons!"

AJMIA

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 pm

Well, if JFK-STN proves to be successful I imagine AA might add other US services from ORD, MIA or DFW.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

jimbo27L

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Just some thoughts on this....

Why is AA operating a two class aircraft on JFK-STN? If this route is being aimed at O&D traffic - which it is because of the lack of connections at STN, surely it would make sense to target the high yield customers working in the City?

The situation with LGW and Open Skies - perhaps an opportunity for European carriers to set up shop there to fly across the pond with the lack of slots at LHR - perhaps a Skyteam base? AF, DL, CO, NW??

A little off topic, but the train into London from STN is a nightmare. Run down rolling stock which can certainly not be described as an express.

Puzzles me why more carriers dont take more advantage of LGW - aside from the extortionate Heathrow Express it has the best and most efficient train service into London - 30-35mins. I hope someone can enlighten me!

blueheronNC

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 33):
Also, they are in talks with Glaxo about changes to the RDU-LHR subsidies, and if it doesn't work out, RDU-LHR will not go on

Are there indications that the parties are not seeing eye-to-eye regarding the subsidy for LHR, or is the extent of the speculation right now because "they are in talks about subsidies" in a more general sense?

masseybrown

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Jimbo27L (Reply 55):
A little off topic, but the train into London from STN is a nightmare. Run down rolling stock which can certainly not be described as an express.

The STN train sounds like the MARC train from BWI to Washington; on the positive side, the MARC is clean, if not luxurious, pretty much on time, and quite cheap.

Humberside

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 39):
Some runours going around that AA acquired/will acquire one Heathrow slot from Gulf Air. Anybody know more?

Was reported in the Sunday Times last week

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 47):
Long term, the objective of 20 slots at LHR, of which the increase would be a mutually strategic transaction with BA, if also approved, develops the service pattern for LHR to something like JFK-6, ORD-4, MIA-2, LHR-2, DFW-2, BOS-2, thence RDU-1 if it stays, and/or opens the possibility of one or two other US-UK stations.

Would be interesting to see what any new destination would be, if that did happen in the long term. STL is the only AA Hub/focus city, except LGA that will not have LHR service.
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

MAH4546

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting BlueheronNC (Reply 56):
Are there indications that the parties are not seeing eye-to-eye regarding the subsidy for LHR, or is the extent of the speculation right now because "they are in talks about subsidies" in a more general sense?

It is unlikely that something won't be a agreed upon, but AA will be asking for significantly more subsidies.
a.

elmothehobo

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 39):
Some runours going around that AA acquired/will acquire one Heathrow slot from Gulf Air. Anybody know more?

Quoting Humberside (Reply 58):
Was reported in the Sunday Times last week

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...ctors/transport/article2009339.ece

The fourth paragraph down in the article is where the treasure is hidden.

Any guess on how many slots?

ripcordd

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:44 am

I would have to say they bought enough slots to start RDU/DFW without dropping any service already into LHR

MAH4546

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting RIPCORDD (Reply 61):
I would have to say they bought enough slots to start RDU/DFW without dropping any service already into LHR

Again, as of yet, they have not officially bought anything. They want to, but we don't know that yet.

Quoting Elmothehobo (Reply 60):
Any guess on how many slots?

Ideally, they want four. Two for DFW-LHR, one for RDU-LHR, and one for MIA-LHR. Though it is safe to say, for now, they will be happy with just two.
a.

bobnwa

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:15 am

Puzzles me why more carriers dont take more advantage of LGW - aside from the extortionate Heathrow Express it has the best and most efficient train service into London - 30-35mins. I hope someone can enlighten me!

It really isn't about the carriers not wanting to be at LGW but the perception by the flying public that LHR is the desired airport. The airlines are just listening to their customers. Personally I have always preferred LGW if going to London and LHR if making a connection.

Logos

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:28 am

I took it in 2000 and didn't think it was that bad, but that was a while ago. And I'll admit it did take 50 minutes to reach Liverpool Street Station.

Still, with most of my FF miles on AA, I welcome this service. It could easily provide the first leg of a FF mile European vacation with all the LCC traffic at STN.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

dsa

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:07 am

Interesting aircraft choice, I suspected a 752 but I suppose they haave seen the popularity of the EOS and Maxjet services and think that the route is viable. The 763 will be used

http://letsfindaflight.com/page_1181845192626.html
Go Skybus!!!!

thirteenright

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Dsa (Reply 65):
Interesting aircraft choice, I suspected a 752 but I suppose they haave seen the popularity of the EOS and Maxjet services and think that the route is viable. The 763 will be used

MAXjet uses 767-200s.

FLYGUY767

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 58):
Would be interesting to see what any new destination would be, if that did happen in the long term. STL is the only AA Hub/focus city, except LGA that will not have LHR service.

Not to start anything, but couldnt American Airlines run a summer seasonal 767-300 route from STL-STN, or LGW?

-JD

NYCAAer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:49 am

I'm not too sure JFK-STN will be a winner for us. It reminds me of flying the short-lived JFK-LGB to compete with B6, only this time we're trying to fight against Eos and Maxjet. Our strength is at LHR.

apodino

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:50 am

All debating aside about LGW vs LHR here is the thing I find most surprising. AA tried STN years ago with little success. They already have stations open at LHR and LGW. What I am most surprise by is the fact that AA is moving a JFK to STN and not LGW. LGW seems to make much more sense here.

jacobin777

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting NYCAAer (Reply 68):
I'm not too sure JFK-STN will be a winner for us. It reminds me of flying the short-lived JFK-LGB to compete with B6, only this time we're trying to fight against Eos and Maxjet. Our strength is at LHR.

Quoting Apodino (Reply 69):
All debating aside about LGW vs LHR here is the thing I find most surprising. AA tried STN years ago with little success. They already have stations open at LHR and LGW. What I am most surprise by is the fact that AA is moving a JFK to STN and not LGW. LGW seems to make much more sense here.

...I think STN is close to achieving "critical mass" status, i.e.-enough pax know about it...personally, until 6 years ago, I never heard of STN...now, as of next year, when I fly to London (which I do a couple of times/year), I'll probably fly to STN instead....much easier to deal with than LHR..
"Up the Irons!"

moman

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 67):
Not to start anything, but couldnt American Airlines run a summer seasonal 767-300 route from STL-STN, or LGW?

-JD

They easily could, but probably don't see the value in takin the needed jet from another route. I'd like to see STL-LGW, but it's likely that STL-LON route will come with the 787.
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

747fan

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 69):

That is a very good point about LGW but I would personally rather fly into STN as it really isn't much further from central London and its easier to fly into w/ less chaos (you're generally able to breeze through customs/immigration, less busy, smaller yet modern terminal) than both LHR and LGW; this makes it quite popular with business travelers with many actually preferring STN to LHR. More people know about Stansted now than when AA tried it in the past so I think it will be a good route for them. LHR's big draw is connectivity (which isn't exactly always pleasant there). I'm still pondering on whether a 767-300 or 757 would be a better plane for this route.

AJMIA

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 72):
More people know about Stansted now than when AA tried it in the past so I think it will be a good route for them. LHR's big draw is connectivity (which isn't exactly always pleasant there).

This is very true. I remember working in reservations when AA flew ORD-STN and almost nobody called in asking for it or knowing where it was. The only times I was really successful in selling it is when LHR was totally sold out and I could convince the passenger that STN was very close to London.
I think times have changed and people are more familiar and accepting of that airport now.
It may work. Especially with the commitment of 2x daily.

What (if any) easy connections can be made out of STN?

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

QantasHeavy

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:35 pm

AA uses the RDU flight as a DFW-LGW-RDU-LGW-DFW with a DFW flight crew, so that is why DFW does not go double-daily to LHR and have RDU stay LGW. They are buying/have bought new slots at LHR so should not have to reduce other flights. Wonder if BA will go DFW-LHR as they have hinted at in the rumour mill last month???

FLYGUY767

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting QantasHeavy (Reply 74):
Wonder if BA will go DFW-LHR as they have hinted at in the rumour mill last month???

They have publicly stated they will starting in 2008, with the 777-200 daily..

-JD

kanebear

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 16):
Actually STN has a direct rail link to the City of London - into Liverpool Street, so it's hardly inconvenient for the business market. Having said that - so does LGW courtesy of Southern Trains to London Bridge and Thameslink into City and Blackfriars - but most people tend to forget that.

The problem is that when the trains have problems/are running late, it truly wrecks your travel plans. LHR is at least somewhat workable if one *has* to take a taxi there. For most of London, Gatwick isn't.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 33):
AA is going to try to keep all 6 daily JFK-LHR flights. The situation that is looking likely is that LAX-LHR will no longer have a seasonal second frequency, and ORD-LHR will lose a frequency. Also, they are in talks with Glaxo about changes to the RDU-LHR subsidies, and if it doesn't work out, RDU-LHR will not go on, which gives AA a slot. AA also wants to add a second daily MIA-LHR year-round starting winter 2008, which will be especially important when AA/BA start codesharing, so that will have to come from some where too...

They sorely need it too. I was flying the route once a month in 2004 and have flown it twice this year. Every time it's been absolutely packed in the premium classes. AA have started flying it with the 2x2x2 Coffin beds vs. the Flagship Suites that were formerly a fixture on the route. I'd rather be in J on the 767.

Quoting Oakjam (Reply 44):
Why is it that OAK has 14.5 million passengers this year....almost surpassing last year. Why can't AA open OAK-LGW? OAK needs a link to Europe, OAK is easier acess to Downtown SF than SFO. What ever happened to SFO-LHR on AA? I know OAK is a long shot to get this, but SJC-LGW/STN makes good sense!

STL has more pax than that per year AND has no close proximity to an airport with LON service. They don't have a LON flight either. It's not how few or many pax/year you have. It's how many are London bound. You can have 30mm pax/year flying through. If only, say, 15 per day are heading to or from London, how can you support service?

David_itl

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 am

One wonders what the folks at NCL think, seeing that AA planned and canned a JFK service there, only to find that they are reinforcing London operations!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos