sparklehorse12
Topic Author

QF Employee Benefits

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what it costs QF employees to travel on QF and do they special rates on all Oneworld airlines?
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

VH-BZF

RE: QF Employee Benefits

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am

My friend works for QF & she tells me they get ID90 & yes they are able to use the Oneworld ZEDfares? as well!

Maybe someone else can confirm this?
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

CupraIbiza

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:23 pm

I assume JQ staff get sweet F.A.?
If so this explains why QF staff are so protective of their perks?
As a QF shareholder all I can say is go you good thing JQ and bring on the rumoured $1B profit result.

PS Looks like there is a position for a QF FA

A Qantas flight attendant smuggled cocaine from Auckland to Sydney in her bra, a court has been told.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

rsg85

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm

they pay 10% of the listed price on any airfare on qf or dj plus tax. one other person (friend partner etc) can be nominated to receive the same benifit

VH-BZF

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:45 pm

I believe JQ staff get the same discounts on QF & QF get a discounted rate on JQ?

At Ansett, our discounts were comensurate with your years of service. If my memory serves me correctly it went something like:

0-6mths ID50
6mths-5yrs ID80
5yrs-7yrs ID85
7yrs-10yrs ID90
10yrs-12yrs ID92.5
12yrs-15yrs ID95
15yrs+ ID97.5

Ansett had not yet signed an agreement on Star alliance fares before its collapse!

Cheers - BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

EK413

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 1):
My friend works for QF & she tells me they get ID90 & yes they are able to use the Oneworld ZEDfares?

Yep, thats correct... We pay 10% of the airfare + taxes on QF,Oneworld and ZEDfares... Just got to pick the right season and day of the week to travel and you have no problems...
You can also nominate a travel companion just like Rsg85 stated... Once you have 7 years service with QF you are entitled to travel J/C  Wink

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

VHXLR8

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 2):
As a QF shareholder all I can say is go you good thing JQ and bring on the rumoured $1B profit result.

JQ do get travel benefits. Even if they didn't, how would that relate to profit?? Staff travel benefits cost airlines very little, as you only fly if there's a spare seat. It's really only the administrative costs, which are quite insignificant anyway.

Curmudgeon

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:31 am

Just so every shareholder on this forum doesn't get his knickers all in a knot, QF is "giving" the staff member nothing with this perk. It costs the airline zip. These are stand-by only fares and are only good on seats that otherwise go empty. Also, QF levies a hefty fuel surcharge per flight. Often a bargain fare on DJ or JQ is cheaper for a retail customer with a confirmed seat than staff travel stand-by seats.

In contrast, other airlines typically offer free or very cheap stand-by flights for staff. Cheap travel has been one of the traditional reasons to chase an airline career and is one of the few offsets for a disruptive and demanding job.

And another thing: It happens from time to time that a flight operates only because one of those pesky employees on a cheap ticket gets pressed into service to replace an ill or missing crew member. Twice now I have been at the airport trying to get somewhere and ended up piloting the sector (which would have been otherwise cancelled), and I have flown several sectors with a needed cabin crew member similarly plucked from a stand-by seat.
Jets are for kids

industrybuff

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Hello

JQ staff get exactly the same benefits as QF staff, that cover QF, JQ, oneworld and about 80 other airlines worldwide that participate in the ZED program.

The fares are not quite ID90 persae - they are zonal so say ex SYD to SIN is considered zone B and say SIN to LHR is considered zone E with fare levels to match !

Benefits make airline roles much more bearable !

Cheers
Ibuff

azncsa4qf744er

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 5):
Once you have 7 years service with QF you are entitled to travel J/C

Wasn't it after 14yrs of service that you get to stand-by for J/C? Wow how time have changed.
You also had to pay for to stand-by for J/C than Y/C.

EK413

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting AznCSA4QF744ER (Reply 9):
Wasn't it after 14yrs of service that you get to stand-by for J/C?

No, union managed to have it reduced to 7 years serivce when they negiotated our EBA agreement...  Wink

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

zeke

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting Rsg85 (Reply 3):
they pay 10% of the listed price on any airfare on qf or dj plus tax. one other person (friend partner etc) can be nominated to receive the same benifit

Just to be clear, the 10% fare is 10% of the IATA listed fare, which in some cases is a little cheaper but not a lot from the best internet fares anyone in the public can find, but you are standby, not confirmed.

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 6):
Staff travel benefits cost airlines very little, as you only fly if there's a spare seat. It's really only the administrative costs, which are quite insignificant anyway.

QF staff travel makes a profit for QF.

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 8):
JQ staff get exactly the same benefits as QF staff, that cover QF, JQ, oneworld and about 80 other airlines worldwide that participate in the ZED program.

I dont think that is they case from what I was told, I understand JQ get a lower boarding priority than QF, Qantaslink, or Oneworld employees.

The fares are not quite ID90 persae - they are zonal so say ex SYD to SIN is considered zone B and say SIN to LHR is considered zone E with fare levels to match !

That will depend on the interline agreement with the particular carrier.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

SK973

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Curmudgeon (Reply 7):
In contrast, other airlines typically offer free or very cheap stand-by flights for staff. Cheap travel has been one of the traditional reasons to chase an airline career and is one of the few offsets for a disruptive and demanding job.

Benefits make airline roles much more bearable !

Which is also why it felt like being punched in the gut when SK sold us off recently and we lost the benefits with other airlines right away.
I flew many times with QF between SIN and LHR/FRA, and always had a good flight and enjoyed their service!  Smile

Quoting EK413 (Reply 5):
Once you have 7 years service with QF you are entitled to travel J/C

The one good thing working for SK was that they had very nice agreements with other airlines and you got to fly C right away after 6 months!

Any airline out there that needs an experienced simulator engineer?  Wink

malaysia

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:56 am

Its really sad how QF profits from its own employees...

Well a lot of people who work for the airline may use benefits to go see family once or twice accross the country especially me where I go transcontinental to see my family at no charge and nothing out of my pocket based on my benefits and additional local agreements I have.

It must be hard on the QF employees if they had parents and family in Perth and work in Sydney and you got to pay a 10% fare ticket (thats 10% of a full walk up fare) it starts adding up. Not worth going on just your regular days off. like Id go for just 1-2 days since its no cost to me, but not for QF or JQ employees. And there are no ZED agreements domestically on other airlines in Australia that QF possibly might use to save against an ID90.

And I bet nobody commutes to work for QF. from Melbourne to Sydney as opposed to those who commute from DCA-LGA or even ORD-IAD for work.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

cyberual

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 am

What about those JQ employees out of BKK? Do they get JQ benefits or it's something different. According to some JQ-BKK crew, they are not hired by JQ, but through a company called Tour East based in BKK. Thank you in advance for the info.

mattnrsa

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
you got to pay a 10% fare ticket (thats 10% of a full walk up fare) it starts adding up

I agree. A one-way ID90 ticket SYD to LAX or SFO costs in the neighborhood of $400 USD (I almost had to use one last year. I was very relieved to get the last seat on UA and pay only the taxes, approx $50 USD). When you figure most travel will be roundtrip, you are almost better off buying a confirmed ticket.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos