Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

in2flying
Topic Author

Flying Spirit First Time, What Are The Odds?

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:04 am

Hello ,

Flying Spirit for the first time, out of A.C on Sunday to Orlando. I have an early morning flight. Just curious what are the odds of me flying with one of their new planes vs. the 20 year old clunkers I have heard about.

Thanks guys!

IN2FLYING

eajpecrca

RE: Flying Spirit First Time, What Are The Odds?

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:18 am

You'll probably be on one of their new Airbus A319. I think all the MD's have been disposed of. It will be a nice experience: nice people, nice plane, on time departure in my experience. I've flown them to MYR from ACY about 6 times in last two years.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:26 am

They only have new Airbus aircraft. The MD80s have been gone for over a year.
a.

CitrusCritter

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:03 am

I have not seen anything but NK A319s at MCO when I've been out and about.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

luisca

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:04 am

Just landed a few hours ago from an NK flight, I travelled MCO-ATL and back and all I can say is you get what you paid for. I wont complain about them charging for everything but water, that is fine by me if they are an LCC they need every buck they can get, but I will complain about the lack of CSRs in MCO, my flight was delayed almost 2 hours, no information given, no reasons, no CSR, in ATL today they had me running around terminal D looking for a gate, again no Spirit CSRs anywhere to be found.

Planes are a little more cramped than usual and only 2 lavatories on the A319.

Conclusion, OK for the price. Dont expect anything else.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

CitrusCritter

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 4):

How was the load factor on MCO-ATL? Between DL and FL, I am surprised NK is able to get much on that route or frankly any of their routes from ATL. Where are they finding the passengers for ATL to TPA, LAS, and MCO??? FLL I understand since that is their hub to feed the Caribbean flights, but otherwise I am dumbstruck if they do in fact haev good LFs in ATl.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

luisca

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 5):
How was the load factor on MCO-ATL? Between DL and FL, I am surprised NK is able to get much on that route or frankly any of their routes from ATL. Where are they finding the passengers for ATL to TPA, LAS, and MCO??? FLL I understand since that is their hub to feed the Caribbean flights, but otherwise I am dumbstruck if they do in fact haev good LFs in ATl.

Planes were full both ways, I counted about 4 empty seats on the MCO-ATL and 2 on the ATL-MCO, remember this was 4th of july week so it really isnt an accurate gauge.

travatl

Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:05 am

A friend of mine just flew ATL-MCO-SJU-FLL-ATL on NK, and returned with a dismal report.
1 Interview. 24 years. 3 Airlines.

CitrusCritter

Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:10 am

I have a friend who flies them regularly MCO-ACY to visit family in New Jersey. He doesn't speak all that highly of it and really despises feeling nickel-and-dimed. He also says he doesn't think the fares are much lower than before they began the ULCC attempt. He flies them solely because they offer a N/S to ACY.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

luisca

Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:48 am

Another issue I just remembered about my flight that really pissed me off was that at the counter (couldn't print out boarding pass at home) there was only one person, there was a flight to SJU checking in at the same time and people would refuse to use the machines, causing a huge line while machines were there sitting unused, finally me and another passenger started asking one by one who was going to use the machine and who was waiting for the agent, I ended up jumping about 20 people in the line. They have a total lack of organization.

In the airplane none of the three FAs spoke clear english, they were all FLL based, they had a huge mix up because the FLL passenger had taken seats that were assigned to ATL customers and would not move, I stood for 5 minutes fighting for my seat which I had pre assigned 24 hours before. I finally had to move to another seat 2 rows back. They had a huge mess and were completely dis organized.

travatl

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:21 am

Yeah, my friend's problem was mostly disorganization as well. Back and forth on Concourse D in ATL trying to find a gate or a Spirit Agent. More mayhem in MCO with seat dupes, and disinterested, and disheveled flight attendants ...but it was the return that really took the cake.

After checking in in SJU, she stopped at Duty Free to buy cigarettes. She asked the Spirit flight attendants standing in line with her if they thought it would be a good idea to take liquor as well - she explained she'd be connecting in FLL to ATL. They said sure, no problem. Well, of course, they got to FLL, arrived on the H concourse, only to find out the ATL flight was departing from the F concourse (which of course meant, another security checkpoint). She understood these things happened, so ran to the ticket counter to check them. The bottles were loosely packed in a white cardboard box... she asked if they had ANYTHING..old newspaper, used printer paper, whatever that she could at least try to protect them with (not to mention other pax bags around the box). The agent rolled her eyes, smacked her gum, said "sorry, you checkin' it or what?". She stated she was, and then, of course, had to pay to check it.

By this time she was down to 30 minutes to departure. She raced to F security (outside) to find a ridiculous line, got through it... ran down to the gate, and lo and behold it was empty.

Stranger on the concourse: "You goin' to Atlanta?"

My perplexed friend: "Yeah!"

Stranger: "They moved it over to H1 at least half an hour ago".

She turned, and RAN back out of F, outside, down to H, and to another long security line. All the while thinking "why didn't the ever-so-friendly agent at the counter tell me it had been moved back to H?" By the time she's gets through security, it's departure time. She stumbles away from TSA, and sees a Spirit agent walking toward security. She stammers out a question about ATL, and the woman gets on her radio, then turns to her, and yells "You better RUN lady, that airplane is waiting on YOU". She breaks into a dead sprint, arrives at H1 to, drum roll please, no airplane, a full gate area, no agents, and a sign that simply says ATLANTA and DELAYED. She checks the FID monitor - it still said an F gate, and showed the flight on time. Other ATL travelers in the area, however, assured her that this was the gate, as many had been through a similar circumstance.

An HOUR later, an airplane rolls in, and an agent appears. They finally arrive in ATL nearly two hours late. She gets to baggage claim, where two flights worth (another airline sharing the carousel perhaps?) of passengers are waiting, and watching bags pile up. To her horror, her white cardboard box appears on the delivery belt, now grey, and GUSHING rum. The lovely aroma soon fills the air, and passengers are staring at her as they collect their now rum-soaked bags.

None of the bottles made it...she said they weren't just broken, but PULVERIZED.

She's a savvy traveller, whose flown many carriers, and dealt with many unusual or challening circumstances. But it was the disorganization and absolute apathy on the part of the NK employees that really ruined the experience.
1 Interview. 24 years. 3 Airlines.

AA737-823

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 8):
He flies them solely because they offer a N/S to ACY.

If he despises it so, then cough up the dough and make a connection!

Spirit's reputation around this board seems to be headed downward...

in2flying
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:47 am

Well my choice to fly Spirit was soley because of 2 small children and ACY being 30 minutes from my home vs 1:15 for EWR and 1:30 for PHL. I am usually a very happy JBLU guy. I can relate to what everyone's complaints are, when finding out not long ago that they charge you $20 for each bag checked in. ( $10.00 if you do it online).

Well atleast the planes are new! I am hoping with a 6:45AM flight it won't be too packed but I think I am just being foolish lol.

Thanks for the great input everyone. Can't wait to see this 787 up and flying.

IN2FLYING

luisca

Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting IN2FLYING (Reply 12):
when finding out not long ago that they charge you $20 for each bag checked in. ( $10.00 if you do it online).

Its actually 10 at the airport 5 online if i am not mistaken.

In conclusion, if you are willing to deal with delays and are a pretty independent knowledgeable traveller (who usually doesn't need assistance,) then NK is ok for you, But I only fly it as long as their is no other cheaper option available.

CitrusCritter

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 11):

Hmm...some exorbitant price to fly MCO-ATL-ACY, the latter stage on an EV CRJ? I think most anyone would fly the N/S on NK, even if they are unhappy with the service and the nickel-and-diming.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

nkops

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting IN2FLYING (Reply 12):
Well atleast the planes are new! I am hoping with a 6:45AM flight it won't be too packed but I think I am just being foolish lol.

It is pretty busy at that time.... we have a 06:45 (A319 to MCO), 07:00 (A321 to FLL) and a 07:15 (A319 to TPA) so it gets very busy at checkpoint and counter. My suggestion is to be there 90 minutes (at least) ahead of time to avoid most of the crowd. There is also a 06:30 ASA flt to ATL to throw in the mix.

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 5):
Where are they finding the passengers for ATL to TPA, LAS, and MCO???

I honestly have no clue, but loads done well on LAS and MCO.... TPA seems to be hit or miss.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

in2flying
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 am

CitrusCritter,

Definitely wasn't thinking it was that busy. Thanks for the heads up!

CitrusCritter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:21 am

I walked by the Spirit gate at ATL last night about 10:30 on my way to D4 to catch FL to MCO...they sure had a crowd for a late-night flight to LAS. I'd like to see a survey on why folks in ATL are choosing them over FL and DL to fly to LAS, MCO, and TPA. I'm surprised FL has not added flights to see if they could drive NK out of these routes.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

nkops

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 17):

Actually, I'd be interested to... when they started ATL , we were wondering what the heck our marketing folks were thinking. For some reason, it seems to be working (which is funny, because I picked DFW to work better than ATL).

How many flts does DL and FL do daily to LAS??

CitrusCritter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 am

Checked today's schedule, and this is what there was...

LAS: DL - 9 (6x 763, 1x 738, 2x 757); FL - 4 (4x 73G); NK - (1x A319)
MCO - DL - 14 (8 x 757, 3x 763, 1x 764, 2x MD-88); FL - 14 (8x 717, 6x73G); NK - 2 (2x A319)

TPA is not on the NK June PDF timetable and no flight appeared on their Flight Status checker, so I guess that was canceled. For reference sake:

TPA - DL - 11 (5 x 757, 1x 764, 4x MD-88); FL - 9 (4x 717, 5x 73G); NK - 0 (apparently route canceled)

[Edited 2007-07-09 01:40:10]
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

warszawa

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 am

I too have no idea how NK appears to be succeeding in ATL...a survey would be very interesting.

Nonetheless, all of my relatives whom fly to the luxurious locations such as SJU / CUN / ACY / LAS and have flown NK on many occasions here from DTW have had nothing but horror stories. The last was of which 1 year ago to ACY.

Back in the late 90's when I lived in TPA my family would fly them to see relatives in DTW / Michigan, and we always held them with high regard (Back in the days of DC9's, MD-80's, etc.). But lately, from everyone I talk to, it seems NK has really gone down the drain, and the nickel & dime business just makes it 10 times worse. I have yet to see those special 'deals' that Spirit was proposing to offer in exchange for the new nickel & dime business. From what I can tell, on nearly every route they're matching a competitors price (a competitor whom doesnt nickel and dime, too).

My mother happened to fly them with 2 of my relatives DTW-ACY last year. DTW-ACY was fine, plain jane flight, no biggy. ACY-DTW was a horror story that I wont discuss. It was so bad my mother was in tears over the phone because she couldn't get home and couldn't find anyone at NK to give her any answers. I went online and quickly booked her via DL, ACY-CVG-DTW all legs via Comair CRJ-100's. My other 2 relatives were extremely upset but didnt want to pay $160 each for the one way ticket back to DTW, so they ended up overnighting in some horrendous hotel near ACY. The DL flights were wonderful via Comair and my mother made it back to DTW that night, exhausted, but happy to be home.

My relatives made it back to DTW some 8pm the next day (28 hrs after their original departure time). They'll never fly NK again.

Sure makes big red and the DC-9's much more attractive in my opinion. In the future if I end up going to ACY, i'll be booking DL, or i'll just go to PHL.

I'm going to vegas 1 week from tomorrow and avoided NK (and DTW all together) despite the cheaper fares...i'm flying FNT-MKE-LAS & Return via Midwest.
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

in2flying
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Hello since I started this post over a week ago, I thought it would be fair to report on my Spirit experience. I have two children, ages 5 and 11. On the 6:45AM flight from AC to MCO, we had a terrific experience. Both the captain and copilot spent ample time allowing both kids to take pictures in the cockpit. We also had the larger seats in the front and had a excellent on time flight.

On the return flight we were in the regular coach section. Needless to say I was suprised how cramped we all were. The seats and tray tables were dirty too. I know that can happen on any airline.

Needless to say the only way I can fly Spirit is if we spend the extra $$$ and go with the bigger seats. At 6 ' 2 it was just way too uncomfortable. Overall everyone form Spirit was very overly friendly and besides the cramped issue everything was great.

Also maybe someone can verify this rumor I heard from an employee at the airport in Atlantic City. He stated Jet Blue may be coming! Anyone hear that?

toltommy

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:28 am

Quoting CitrusCritter (Reply 8):
He also says he doesn't think the fares are much lower than before they began the ULCC attempt.

That's been my experience when I've been watching DTW-FLL fares for this winter. They are NO lower than before they became a ULCC. I guess because they now occasionally offer a few $9 seats they think they are Ryanair or Skybus. A DTW-FLL r/t that costs the same as last years fare now generates more revenue thru bag fees and beverage charges. Since NW matches the fare, why should I book on Spirit? I wish FL hadn't withdrawn from the market.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

nkops

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting IN2FLYING (Reply 21):
Also maybe someone can verify this rumor I heard from an employee at the airport in Atlantic City. He stated Jet Blue may be coming! Anyone hear that?

That rumor has been floating around ACY since B6 pretty much started. I'm pretty sure there have been talks between the SJTA and B6, but nothing has come of it as far as I know. Maybe something will happen when ACY finishes its expansion projects and adds more gates and counter space.