lincoln
Topic Author

ONT: Inbound Checked Luggage Question

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:25 am

Seems like it should be a relatively simple question: Why, when flying into ONT does checked luggage take an inordinately long period of time to arrive on the belts?

Of all of the airports I've flown into, Ontario is probably among the lowest passenger volume yet consistantly takes the longest from the time the aircaft parks to the time I leave the terminal luggage in hand.

With CO (at gate 208), Ontario also seems like the shortest physical distance between plane and belt

I ask specifically with regard to CO, but my Mom uses ONT as her preferred airport and WN as her perferred airline mentioned that Ontario is "Always this bad" with checked luggage...and when living in SoCal my family would periodically fly AS out of ONT, and I remember some gnarly waits then as well, which makes me think that something about the airport rather than an individual airline.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

pbottenb

RE: ONT: Inbound Checked Luggage Question

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:41 am

My experience on HP/US in ONT has usually been pretty good - I fly HP/US in/out around twice a month. Baggage usually arrives within 15 or 20 minutes of landing - two weeks ago it was on the belts by the time I got to them - and I was in first class... Once in awhile it will take longer, but it is not the norm...

Goldenshield

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:50 am

With ONT, the the belts are less than 100 feet from the aircraft. It takes time to even get enough bags in the cart to get the belts going and fed in a timely manner. If you want, you can petition LAWA to build the baggage claim another 600 feet out from the terminal so that the bags will be there when you arrive at the baggage claim.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

seattleflyer

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:33 am

I've long since wondered the same thing about SEA. Granted it's a larger airport than ONT, it seems like it takes longer to get luggage in SEA than I've experienced in such places as LAX and LHR. If at all possible, I avoid checking luggage when coming into SEA because of the time it take for anything to get to the carousel. I've seen this with AS, HA, UA and BA, even during relatively quieter times of the day.

Anybody know why things run so slow with SEA?

ps. This was even the case with AS pre-Menzies.

SANFan

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:51 am

Due to the bad air quality (called "smog" in the LA basin) at ONT,
the cart drivers have to drive very slowly to find the terminal building!

(BTW, must be one helluva big terminal if you came into gate 208... no wonder it takes a while for the baggage to show up.  Wink )

Welcome back to the Left Coast, Hopkins. (Sorry 'bout yesterday; I was out and about most of the day.)

bb

drexotica

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:54 am

ONT has always been quite slow from my experience. Last week it took about 35-40 minutes for the bags to arrive at the carousel after a Delta flight from ATL. Funny thing is, once the bags appear, they tend to trickle out.

There must be some guy back there running back and forth between the plane and the carousel with a wheel barrow...
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

bananaboy

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:24 am

Has been hit or miss in my experience with United / Skywest. Worst has been 40 minutes, and the best about 4 minutes.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

BrandonB

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:16 am

Never had that long of a wait with luggage coming into ONT. It usually takes 15-20mins. I usually fly American.

san747

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 am

I can personally answer from experience handling CO at ONT... At gate 207, we are about 75 feet from the baggage belts. My honest answer about why it can take so long is simply which agent does the bag running, plus our company has a tendency to fill a train of 2 or 3 carts (basically the entire hold) before sending them out. That can take 20 minutes easily if their is a lot of bags or heavy cargo.
Scotty doesn't know...

Boston92

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 8):
I can personally answer from experience handling CO at ONT... At gate 207, we are about 75 feet from the baggage belts. My honest answer about why it can take so long is simply which agent does the bag running, plus our company has a tendency to fill a train of 2 or 3 carts (basically the entire hold) before sending them out. That can take 20 minutes easily if their is a lot of bags or heavy cargo.

I have dealt with ONT a few times but only once with inbound bags. I landed from DEN on TED at "the" furthest gate away from anything. No Joke. United got screwed when it comes to gates at ONT... anyway I walked (all the way) to the ticketing/baggage claim level (I love that both are on the same level), and waited for about 5-10 minutes for my bags...not bad at all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos