Mir

RE: The Official 787 Rollout Aftermath Thread.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 173):
The composites make it 20% lighter and therefore it uses 20% less fuel, which must be both a surprise and bad news for GE and RR.

GE and RR don't sell the fuel, so how is it bad news for them?

Quoting OURBOEING (Reply 179):
CNN.com news link reads:

"Boeing unveils world's largest commercial plane"

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 189):
On the Today show this morning they said the 787 will feature "lower cabin pressure."

banghead 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flashmeister

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:39 am

For those who watched the broadcast/webcast... at one point after the doors opened, they did a high shot of the nose, from a camera positioned slightly above the cockpit/cabin level. Anyone notice that you could clearly see some side windows through the cockpit glass, indicating that at least on this bird, the interior isn't at all provisioned yet...

Just wondered if others noticed that...

AvObserver

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Bewley747 (Reply 39):
Sorry... but isnt that a 767?

Hardly revolutionary....

In fact... pretty boring looking AC....

You've already been slammed for this but what were you expecting, a new-gen Concorde? Frankly, the nose to me doesn't echo the 767 at all and the scimitar-like wings also distance this gorgeous successor to the 767 from the earlier model by a country-mile! And it goes without saying that its revolutionary aspect is in its composition and engine technology beneath the skin.

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 169):
That is one butt-ugly plane! Nose like a squashed TGV-train! teh fail!

All the better for aerodynamic efficiency. And why do I suspect you'll find the rather similar A350 XWB to be a class 1 stunner?
 sarcastic 

ER757

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 42):
Could this be considered one of the if not the first roll INS??

LOL - good one!! Big grin

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 43):
I felt like I was sitting through a graduation ceremony

That's a pretty accurate description, but not unlike what I would have expected. When all was said and done, we sure got to see a beautiful airplane though!! Good job Boeing!!!

ayqzbr

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 201):

A few people have commented on that and we noticed it while viewing the coverage as well.

Has anyone else commented, or did anyone else feel, that the coverage ended quite abruptly when the 787 was revealed to the crowd inside, while there were obviously lots of great scenes watching the crowd swarm out and around it that we did not see (and it was even a lovely day in damp Seattle). This is evident from the photos posted since, but once the fairly long winded lead up was over, there was not much of to be seen of the aircraft itself, and a lot of that focused on the word Boeing rather than the aircraft. I hope they follow up with some "behind the scenes" shots of the 787 approaching the doors. I suspect that the nearby highway was the best place to view it all.

bigphilnyc

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:55 am

Anyone notice that you could clearly see some side windows through the cockpit glass, indicating that at least on this bird, the interior isn't at all provisioned yet...

I've heard evidence of that as well. I don't think they make much of a secret of the fact that the inside is not done yet.
Phil Derner Jr.

ebs757

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:57 am

Has anyone had luck watching the roll out again on new airplane.com? I click on the link and it just says "loading" http://www.newairplane.com/
Viva la Vida

aeroweanie

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:05 am

For those who watched the broadcast/webcast... at one point after the doors opened, they did a high shot of the nose, from a camera positioned slightly above the cockpit/cabin level. Anyone notice that you could clearly see some side windows through the cockpit glass, indicating that at least on this bird, the interior isn't at all provisioned yet...

I noticed that - it means that the cockpit bulkhead, which is an important structural item, isn't installed yet.

allstarflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 115):
Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 93):
I'm just not digging it really.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 114):
OMG I almost wetted my pants looking at these photos.

Make up your mind!

rotfl 

Quoting BoeingOnFinal (Reply 174):

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 175):

How did the two of you manage to post the same 3 photos at the same exact time from different ends of the planet?  scratchchin  Same user perhaps?  silly 

So what's on now for the 787? Interior installations, troubleshooting systems, preparations for test runs . . . ??

-R
Living the American Dream

MCIGuy

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Ayqzbr (Reply 204):
I hope they follow up with some "behind the scenes" shots of the 787 approaching the doors.

From Post 20 (LTU932) :
King5 Raw Video

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 208):
So what's on now for the 787? Interior installations, troubleshooting systems, preparations for test runs . . . ??

They won't put a full interior in it until just before they deliver it to ANA. First they need to finish it, then I suppose they'll be installing equipment for the flight tests.  

[Edited 2007-07-09 22:24:11]
Airliners.net Moderator Team

IFEMaster

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:34 am

So, excuse the obvious question, but when's the first flight?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jenkingeorge

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 5):
Video of rollout should be available very shortly
EDIT: VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE !!!

Is it me or did he sound like he was enjoying that rollout a bit too much!!! Big grin

JG
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

iFLYjets

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 am

I am in love, and it's with a B787  Big grin  bouncy 

RobTrent

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 am

Wow some nice shots here - Love the wing tips and the RR engines. In fact I like the whole design.

Nice one Boeing  bigthumbsup 
T7 - You know it makes sense !

glideslope

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting RobTrent (Reply 213):
Wow some nice shots here - Love the wing tips and the RR engines. In fact I like the whole design.

Nice one Boeing   

I'll second on the Trents. Can't wait to hear them spool up!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

bahadir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 am

When i was flying over it i was surprised how 'stubby' it looked. I immediately thought of A310  Smile
Earthbound misfit I

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 198):
So what was the Airbus joke? I missed it.

Tom Brokaw asked Scott Carson what his longest flight was. Carson replied back "From SIN to JFK on a slow Airbus." I found this out later from other A.net members.

As for the thread, did Former Boeing officer Alan Mullally get an invite to the roll out? Does anyone know? If so, did he attend?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

sixtyseven

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:02 am

I hate to say it. But I think it's ugly as hell.

Short, fat, odd nose, strange windows...... It'll be a hell of an airplane, but she's not much to look at. Here's hoping the -9 proportions look a little less A310ish.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

bahadir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 am

I really didn't appreciate the stupid comments by Brokaw about Kazakhs and LOT. Every country, people, culture has something that bothers another one. Tom Brokaw may not like Kazaks eating onion sandwiches, Kazakhs may not like Tom chewing gum and putting up his foot on the table, etc. It wasn't appropriate to mention it during the ceremony of a marvel that thousands have worked on all around the world.
It certainly wasn't appropriate to talk badly about a customer of a 787 as well..
Earthbound misfit I

OA260

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 218):
It certainly wasn't appropriate to talk badly about a customer of a 787 as well..

Hmm well its all to do with up bringing . There is a name for people like him ''new money''!!!!

Anyway BBC did a good piece on the unveiling. The journalist was talking about the composites and stood under neath the belly of the fuselage and banged it a few times. It sounded really weird. Very hollow.

drexotica

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 218):
I really didn't appreciate the stupid comments by Brokaw about Kazakhs and LOT. Every country, people, culture has something that bothers another one. Tom Brokaw may not like Kazaks eating onion sandwiches, Kazakhs may not like Tom chewing gum and putting up his foot on the table, etc. It wasn't appropriate to mention it during the ceremony of a marvel that thousands have worked on all around the world.

I am always amused by how many people on this forum seem unable to laugh at each other, much less themselves. The remark about onion sandwich eating Kazakhs was pretty funny, particularly so for people who've enjoyed Borat. It paints a pretty funny picture that many of us have experienced when traveling. The crowd found it funny, and so did I (btw, I am a person of stupid Norwegian heritage that enjoys eating even smellier fish sandwiches - need to try an onion in it next time...).

As for LOT, I did not interprit Brokaw's remarks as an insult of any sort. They were merely part of the story. I am sure that the big wigs at LOT could also appreciate the humor.
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

LTU932

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting DrExotica (Reply 220):
I am always amused by how many people on this forum seem unable to laugh at each other, much less themselves. The remark about onion sandwich eating Kazakhs was pretty funny, particularly so for people who've enjoyed Borat. It paints a pretty funny picture that many of us have experienced when traveling. The crowd found it funny, and so did I (btw, I am a person of stupid Norwegian heritage that enjoys eating even smellier fish sandwiches - need to try an onion in it next time...).

As for LOT, I did not interprit Brokaw's remarks as an insult of any sort. They were merely part of the story. I am sure that the big wigs at LOT could also appreciate the humor.

And don't forget the small joke about flying on a "very slow Airbus".  Wink

It was just healthy humour. People had a laugh, it was never meant to insult, and I'm sure that if this was indeed meant as an insult, we would have already heard Louis Gallois, Leahy, the government of Kazakhstan and LO complaining about it in the media. But they have not. Why? Because they all knew that it was a personal story he was sharing and all the funny parts were meant to be in good humour. Hell, maybe even Gallois or the people at LO had a laugh about it as well, as it's good to sometimes laugh about yourself.  Wink
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ebs757

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:26 am

has anyone had luck viewing the roll out from newairplane.com again? There is a link to it but it takes me to the premiere page and thats it.

EBS
Viva la Vida

Airbus340

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 24):

Totally agree with you...especially on the Airbus part... Singapore Airlines prides itself of its flagship, the Airbus A340-500 fleet (while they wait for the AIRBUS A380). The A340-500 can make possible this SIN-JFK flight... If I were Singapore Airlines I would feel more than insulted... It would make me start thinking of canceling the order I would have of the 787...
In any case Boeing's man acknowledged (to his shame) that his LONGEST flight was on an AIRBUS craft... Not in one of "his"!!!

I love Boeing aircraft as well. But that man made a fool of himself...and maybe of Boeing itself!

About the general presentation...I prefer the A380 one...a much "happier" one...Seems the Europeans (especially on the Mediterranean countries) know what a celebration is, and how to perform it to it's best!

The NBC man really made a fool of himself saying "I command to be happier than the Italians" or something like that... Augh!

Apart from that the 787 is a wonderful plane...Hope to see more shots of it soon in A.net!

3 cheers to BOEING for this one...WELL done!

JRDC930

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Airbus340 (Reply 223):
It would make me start thinking of canceling the order I would have of the 787...

Dont start a flame fest... irked  and by the way if you had an airline and cancelled an order because of some joke, i doubt your airline would last long. A joke is a joke people, when ever Airbus says something, its always " its a joke", Boeing says something and its as if the world ended. I'm not trying to start a flame fest, but lets lay off the joke comments, or with comments like yours this thread wont last much longer. Really people cant you take a joke...  Confused
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

LTU932

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting Airbus340 (Reply 223):
The A340-500 can make possible this SIN-JFK flight

Not to nitpick, but the A345 doesn't fly SIN-JFK but SIN-EWR. SIN-JFK is still operated with a stop in FRA.  Wink
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Aircellist

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 am

A question for those who have seen the plane from close enough: are there rivets on it? I can't see any on the pictures... And a question to the experts: if there are no rivets, or far less rivets than on a comparable plane (say the 767-300), what kind of a drag reduction could that bring? And fuel saving?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

MCIGuy

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting Aircellist (Reply 226):
A question for those who have seen the plane from close enough: are there rivets on it? I can't see any on the pictures... And a question to the experts: if there are no rivets, or far less rivets than on a comparable plane (say the 767-300), what kind of a drag reduction could that bring? And fuel saving?

I haven't seen it up close but I don't have to. There are fasteners at all the places where the barrels are joined and where something is bolted to the fuse from the inside. Yes, weight and drag savings are selling points.

allstarflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 124):
There was a small plane flying over with a banner - "ARGOSY CRUISES CONGRATULATES BOEING 787" - but I think he was disappointed because he was not allowed anywhere near the event itself.

Hey, you got to see him - I bet he wasn't too disappointed. He probably pushed his boundaries a bit.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 124):
Some people had no real idea what was going on - "is it going to fly today?"

rotfl  "Everybody line up on both sides of the runway, and we'll show you what this baby can do!"

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 209):
They won't put a full interior in it until just before they deliver it to ANA. First they need to finish it, then I suppose they'll be installing equipment for the flight tests.

Thanks, good info.  thumbsup  I'm sure they have basic avionics installed, maybe just have to put in some more of the interfaces? Not sure - just wondering why they haven't announced (from what I've seen at least) any upcoming test flights.

-R
Living the American Dream

MCIGuy

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 228):
Not sure - just wondering why they haven't announced (from what I've seen at least) any upcoming test flights.

No problem.  Smile
It's because they don't want to lock in on a date so they can have a cushion against "unforeseen issues".  

[Edited 2007-07-10 03:52:10]

baxter

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Wasnt somebody asking for a close-up of the second section of flags... The logos behind the door... I have a shot of them... I was looking at my photos from the event and apparently I took each section individually. They arent real close, but you can make them out. As soon as I figure out how to post photos, I will do so.

SFO777200LR

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting BigPhilNYC (Reply 197):
Quoting SFO777200LR (Reply 195):
Any pictures of the FAs all lined up?

Some pics here:

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtop...rt=30

Thank you!
To take flight is like to make love; one must have ecstasy, passion, and a majestic partner.

baroque

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 193):
2. No metal at all in the fuselage.

Hmmm....I would think that the titanium frames are "in" the fuselage, and I believe titanium is a metal. Big grin I know, I know, they're referring to the composite barrels, but those aren't the only parts of the fuselage.

Well those whose knowledge comes from the TEEV, there are no Ti frames!

Quoting Mir (Reply 200):
The composites make it 20% lighter and therefore it uses 20% less fuel, which must be both a surprise and bad news for GE and RR.

GE and RR don't sell the fuel, so how is it bad news for them?

More irritating than bad I guess. I have just a feeling that both GE and RR had (what we now know to be totally unjustified) a feeling that their new shiny engines had a fair bit to do with the better fuel economy. Take your super light plane, fit it with CF6s and see how well it does!

It would be interesting to go through a number of TV presentations, make dot points and see if they got more than 30% correct. I rather doubt it. And as posters have remarked comparisons have almost all been with the Big Bus, not the competing Bus.

IAD787

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Just to keep things fresh:
The Official 787 Rollout Aftermath Thread - Part 2 (by IAD787 Jul 10 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Former FlightBlogger turned Wall Street Journal Aerospace Beat Reporter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos