trinxat
Topic Author

IB Rectifies Strategy At BCN

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi there

According to this article (El periodico 9-7-07 -in spanish only, apologies), IB has formalised a bid for the new Terminal Sur in BCN, to be operational in 2008

This proposal, again from the article, is strongly based on the set up of 10 new intercontinental routes in a 3-year period from BCN. This is also linked, too, to the expected purchase of 33 new long-haul aircraft (787 or A350). A few of them could even be based in there.

Given that last year IB decided to stop all operations from BCN and transfer them to their low-cost carrier clickair, and stated that their strategy was to concentrate all long haul operations from MAD (and this created a political hassle over here), this announcement now seems to be a bit contradictory at least.

Has IB reviewed their strategy?

Or is it just a tactical maneouver to increase the value of the company, given that the offers that have been received so far are not meeting the stakeholders expectations? Owning premium slots at another airport with a huge growth potential could force TPG and BA to increase their offer....
 stirthepot 

TriStar500

RE: IB Rectifies Strategy At BCN

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Has IB in fact decided to stop all flying (except serivce to MAD) from BCN? From my personal impression, while a lot routes have been suspended or transferred to Clickair, there are still quite a few routes, which continue to be served by IB Mainline and IB Regional material even in the summer timetable of 2008.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

trinxat
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 1):
Has IB in fact decided to stop all flying (except serivce to MAD) from BCN

AFAIK they have, based on allegations of low profitability. However the execution is done at a very slow pace due to lack of capacity from clickair (they are building their new fleet with new aircraft now together with some transfered from IB).

You may still see many IB flights to/from BCN beside service to MAD, indeed. But some classical destinations like GVA, AMS have been dropped already. I am not sure however about LHR, probably it might be the last one (or the exception).

It's hard to find news about this topic, anyway. Maybe someone from within the industry can help us.

OlympicATH

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:57 pm

AFAIK IB still has a daily BCN-ATH and it doesn't look like it will be axed.
The flight used to be MAD-BCN-ATH and was replaced by two separate MAD-ATH and BCN-ATH flights last year.
IB now serves ATH with 3 daily flights, two from MAD and 1 from BCN, plus 3 or 4 additional weekly flights from MAD added for the summer period.

migair54

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm

if everything in the article is true, no doubt that the South terminal of BCN will be for IB.

among other things they say, IB will buy 7 new A340 to open 10 intercontinental routes (NYC, MEX, EZE....) in 5 years, more short-medium haul planes.

they also talk about 33 new widebody aircrafts, (787 vs 350xwb) for IB.

the prevision for BCN is for 40 millions in 3 years time, with capacity for 55 millions.

Vueling, Grupo Marsans bid for the new terminal, the newspaper didn´t talk about spanair but i´ve heard that they want to place a huge bid, helped by star alliance.

IMO if this is true IB will have the new terminal, Vueling is having a huge expansion, so they will be very well positioned. Spanair have a good presence in BCN and maybe the future owner want to expand, but they need to solve many problems before, Air Europa is there but i think they dont want to expand too much. Easyjet has a good presence. Air Comet is talking about some new routes from BCN to South America.

Mainly the Cataluña goverment wants long haul and IB is the real alterrnative.

Will See.  airplane 

bullpitt

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:26 pm

If you read carefully IB has said that this will be carried out IF and that's a BIG IF the numbers are there, and at the moment they're NOT. What will happen in the future we have to wait and see.

IMHO giving the new terminal to Vueling would be a great mistake, If someone doesn't put more money in the company I have serious doubts it'll be around next season. Again only time will tell.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

Humberside

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 2):
I am not sure however about LHR, probably it might be the last one (or the exception).

LHR remains IB. Click Air only to VLC an La Coruna from LHR. Wonder if BA would be happy or not it Click took over BCN-LHR - they would then be the only 'traditional' airline on the route, but they do currently codeshare on IB's BCN-LHR, and I guess wouldnt codeshare on Click
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

migair54

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 5):
If someone doesn't put more money in the company I have serious doubts it'll be around next season

i´ve only heard about vueling that they are doing very well, but maybe you have a better information.

when i said that the new terminal could be for Vueling was because i consider they have a very big expansion in BCN. Really is the same for example if Spanair, Air Europa and Easyjet go to the new terminal Vueling can use all this space to expand.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 6):
Wonder if BA would be happy or not it Click took over BCN-LHR - they would then be the only 'traditional' airline on the route, but they do currently codeshare on IB's BCN-LHR, and I guess wouldnt codeshare on Click

i think they wont be very happy, because some of this traffic is feeding traffic for BA and a Low cost carrier is not a good partner.

bullpitt

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:53 am

Vueling have done nothing but loose money since they started and their shares have lost more that 20% of their value. we'll see what figures they present after the summer season. Also as they increase their destinations they are starting to have delays and cancelations (normal) so that aura of doing things so well is starting to dissapear.  down 

FLYGUY767

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting Trinxat (Thread starter):
This proposal, again from the article, is strongly based on the set up of 10 new intercontinental routes in a 3-year period from BCN.

If the rumors are true:

BCN-EZE
BCN-LIM
BCN-SCL
BCN-CCS
BCN-BOG
BCN-MEX
BCN-GRU
BCN-NRT
BCN-JFK
BCN-MIA

Quoting Humberside (Reply 6):
LHR remains IB.

IBERIA
BCN-LHR
9am, 215pm, 330pm, 440pm

Quoting OlympicATH (Reply 3):
AFAIK IB still has a daily BCN-ATH and it doesn't look like it will be axed.

IBERIA
BCN-ATH
1245pm-430pm A320

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 2):
You may still see many IB flights to/from BCN beside service to MAD, indeed. But some classical destinations like GVA, AMS have been dropped already. I am not sure however about LHR, probably it might be the last one (or the exception).

IBERIA
BCN-MXP 3x
BCN-ORY 7x
BCN-AMS 1x (ClickAir 2x)
BCN-TLV
BCN-CAI

There are still a number of regional international routes from BCN as well with Iberia partner AIr Nostrum..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

EddieDude

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:27 am

I read a similar article on invertia.com this morning and I must say I am very surprised. I hope this announcement serves as a wake up call to the likes of AM and AR to strike first. I cannot understand why BCN and MEX do not have a nonstop link.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

trinxat
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 9):
If the rumors are true:

BCN-EZE
BCN-LIM
BCN-SCL
BCN-CCS
BCN-BOG
BCN-MEX
BCN-GRU
BCN-NRT
BCN-JFK
BCN-MIA

I am surprised that those destinations basically are overlapping with those out from MAD. If IB was really serious about this proposal (read below why I still think it's a sham) they would complement their network with some connections to middle east, Africa and especially increasing their presence in Asia. HKG, SIN, KUL, DXB.....

Given their past track of misleading press announcements, I believe IB is only looking for:
-Ensure their presence in the new terminal at all cost (no matter if putting their reputation at stake - i.e. opening new routes, only to close them after 3 months on allegations of "low profitability" or "redundancy")
-Increase their market value in order to obtain a better offer for their shares

Why then, have they publicly announced their plans, while all their competitors have presented them to Aena in private?

I even suspect that since they know that they won't get the new terminal slots, they have released this to claim afterwards that they had a "plan for BCN" and then defend themselves from critics.

Otherwise, why not to start those new connections anyway? Wouldn't they work from the old terminal as well?
 banghead 

rogerbcn

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:03 pm

Hola Trinxat!

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 11):
I am surprised that those destinations basically are overlapping with those out from MAD. If IB was really serious about this proposal (read below why I still think it's a sham) they would complement their network with some connections to middle east, Africa and especially increasing their presence in Asia. HKG, SIN, KUL, DXB.....

Given their past track of misleading press announcements, I believe IB is only looking for:
-Ensure their presence in the new terminal at all cost (no matter if putting their reputation at stake - i.e. opening new routes, only to close them after 3 months on allegations of "low profitability" or "redundancy")

Why then, have they publicly announced their plans, while all their competitors have presented them to Aena in private?

I even suspect that since they know that they won't get the new terminal slots, they have released this to claim afterwards that they had a "plan for BCN" and then defend themselves from critics.

Otherwise, why not to start those new connections anyway? Wouldn't they work from the old terminal as well?

100 % agree. It can be said louder but not clearer.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

bullpitt

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:24 pm

As I said before

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 5):
If you read carefully IB has said that this will be carried out IF and that's a BIG IF the numbers are there, and at the moment they're NOT. What will happen in the future we have to wait and see.

therefore IB are making things very clear. Those who are not are the other airlines who are selling smoke. IMHO BCN will not have intercontinental flights until IB decides to go East.

Whether the Catalans like it or not MAD is geographically better positioned than BCN to fly West and to distribute internal traffic with in Spain. doesn't make much sense for most Spaniards to fly to BCN to then catch a flight over the Atlantic.

But as I always say time will put everyone in their place.

FLYGUY767

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:11 am

The plan or so I have heard is to re-solidify Iberia's presence in the South and Latin American Markets, so the addition of flights from BCN would be able to sustain that goal and attract a larger market share. In regards to North America, service to JFK and MIA should have been flown years ago nonstop. I thought they were for a while. However I know American Airlines planned to start JFK-BCN with the 763, but the route never materialized a few years back. There is a definite demand in that market that could support O/D without connections. The addition to Narita is something that we have heard for years. At one point, if I am not mistaken Peking, and Hong Kong were being eyed from Barcelona.

The problem with too many new and exotic routes from BCN such as HKG, SIN, KUL, DXB is the lack of connectivity. Iberia has shot itself in the foot with the ClickAir base at Barcelona. Now that ClickAir is flying so many ex-Iberia routes from Barcelona it will be very hard to garner the premium traffic that is key to those markets. I just cant see a route like BKK, or SIN being flown from BCN and not MAD. I can however see a flight originating in MAD, stopping in BCN, and continuing to BKK or SIN.

What I think is going on is a bunch of smoke and mirrors by Iberia. They want the new terminal, and they are going to promise everything that can to get their hands on it. If they do expand it will be to only a handful of intercontinental markets, and the service will probably be flown less than daily in all markets with the exception of JFK, MIA, and EZE.

I dont see Iberia keeping all of the new routes for the long term. They have treated Barcelona like the evil stepchild for years. More recently with the draw down of Iberia mainline which has been replaced by ClickAir in the Barcelona market. It is a very political situation. It reminds me of Alitalia. Milan and Barcelona are the business markets, while Rome and Madrid are the 50/50 Leisure/Business markets. It is time to put the political bias aside and see how many pax each of the inter-continental routes extract from the Barcelona market that are now flown via Barajas. El Prat pulls nearly 31,000,000 passengers a year. There is a market for inter-continental service, and Iberia would be wise to use it, not take it for granted.

I find it very amusing that Singapore Airlines chose to serve Barcelona over Madrid for its resumption of service to the Iberian market. Singapore Airlines chose to serve El Prat for the same reason that Aerolineas Argentinas, Delta Airlines, US Airways, Continental Airlines and others chose to serve El Prat and so many other long-haul airlines. There is a strong demand for service to Barcelona. It is the fault of Iberia for sitting and pissing on the Barcelona goldmine for all to long to focus on the Barajas hub.

-JD

FLYGUY767

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:12 am

The plan or so I have heard is to re-solidify Iberia's presence in the South and Latin American Markets, so the addition of flights from BCN would be able to sustain that goal and attract a larger market share. In regards to North America, service to JFK and MIA should have been flown years ago nonstop. I thought they were for a while. However I know American Airlines planned to start JFK-BCN with the 763, but the route never materialized a few years back. There is a definite demand in that market that could support O/D without connections. The addition to Narita is something that we have heard for years. At one point, if I am not mistaken Peking, and Hong Kong were being eyed from Barcelona.

The problem with too many new and exotic routes from BCN such as HKG, SIN, KUL, DXB is the lack of connectivity. Iberia has shot itself in the foot with the ClickAir base at Barcelona. Now that ClickAir is flying so many ex-Iberia routes from Barcelona it will be very hard to garner the premium traffic that is key to those markets. I just cant see a route like BKK, or SIN being flown from BCN and not MAD. I can however see a flight originating in MAD, stopping in BCN, and continuing to BKK or SIN.

What I think is going on is a bunch of smoke and mirrors by Iberia. They want the new terminal, and they are going to promise everything that can to get their hands on it. If they do expand it will be to only a handful of intercontinental markets, and the service will probably be flown less than daily in all markets with the exception of JFK, MIA, and EZE.

I dont see Iberia keeping all of the new routes for the long term. They have treated Barcelona like the evil stepchild for years. More recently with the draw down of Iberia mainline which has been replaced by ClickAir in the Barcelona market. It is a very political situation. It reminds me of Alitalia. Milan and Barcelona are the business markets(Barcelona is a very strong leisure market as well, due in part to the large amount of cruise traffic), while Rome and Madrid are the 50/50 Leisure/Business markets. It is time to put the political bias aside and see how many pax each of the inter-continental routes extract from the Barcelona market that are now flown via Barajas. El Prat pulls nearly 31,000,000 passengers a year. There is a market for inter-continental service, and Iberia would be wise to use it, not take it for granted.

I find it very amusing that Singapore Airlines chose to serve Barcelona over Madrid for its resumption of service to the Iberian market. Singapore Airlines chose to serve El Prat for the same reason that Aerolineas Argentinas, Delta Airlines, US Airways, Continental Airlines and others chose to serve El Prat and so many other long-haul airlines. There is a strong demand for service to Barcelona. It is the fault of Iberia for sitting and pissing on the Barcelona goldmine for all to long to focus on the Barajas hub.

-JD

trinxat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 13):
Whether the Catalans like it or not MAD is geographically better positioned than BCN to fly West and to distribute internal traffic with in Spain. doesn't make much sense for most Spaniards to fly to BCN to then catch a flight over the Atlantic.

Let's speak about that when it happens. I have the impression that either flying to the west, to the east or to the center of the earth it will be via MAD anyway.

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 14):

Agree 150%.

FLYGUY767

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 16):
Agree 150%.

Gracias!

I hope Iberia invests in BCN, before the foreign airlines have a larger long-haul market share than Iberia!

-JD

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:32 am

I was quiet surprised when I heard that Iberia was basically planning on dropping BCN and handing it over to Click Air. Meanwhile Air Madrid, Air Comet, and Aerolineas all announced new routes to South America from BCN, Singapore announced new flights to SIN via MXP, and US Airways and Continental announced new flights to the US. All of those new routes that had been announced around the same time Iberia announced their drop out of BCN have become extremely successful.

In the past couple of years Barcelona has seen a major economic and tourism boost which has attracted many new airlines to the airport as well as increased frequency and capacity on existing flights. I guess Iberia is finally waking up and realizing what a stupid mistake it was to drop out of BCN especially now when everything in Barcelona is expanding.

All the new proposed international routes from BCN seem like they could all be money makers. I don't think an A340-600 could be used on most of the routes but an A340-300 or even A330-200 aircraft could probably be easily filled.

Iberia has tried in the past with international flights from BCN but were not very successful but today is a new dawn and age were Barcelona is a very popular city.

[Edited 2007-07-10 19:33:43]
No Vueling No Party

SYDBCN

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 15):
Iberia has shot itself in the foot with the ClickAir base at Barcelona

Very true indeed... This is not the current philosophy any more. With the new 787 and current trend we are seeing more and more point to point routes from regional airports.

Iberia was very narrow minded here and just wanted to fill up T4 by readdressing all pax through there. In the past the distribution centre for European flights was BCN. The claims that they were unprofitable routes has proven wrong goven the amount of new flights by other airlines.

We all agree that MAD's location is the best for flights across the Atlantic, which involve less backtrack from most airports in Spain, bjut the same is true with BCN for flights East (Middle East and Asia), however flights to IST and TLV have been cut.

It does not matter MAD or BCN, Spain's position in the map in respect to Europe makes it impractical to run a true hub, similar to Ireland. It is practically impossible to carry passengers from other European cities to Asia via Spain. And the same location is ideal for Latin American flights, and this is where Iberia does so well. To fill up those planes, connections had to be available non-stop from MAD, so they simply eliminated BCN from their network.

What has happened is that it backfired and now LH, LX, AF, KL are makking a killing in BCN. The 8 PM flight to CDG carries 80% connections and on my last 2 flights (CDG-SIN-SYD) most passengers were going in fact to GRU and GIG, then PVG, NRT and HKG).

It was not true that routes from Barcelona were at a loss, the truth is that maintaining two "hubs" was undermining their own plans to become a second BA and make T4, LHR's T4. To appease the political crowd they set up Clickair and gave them a whole array of destinations, this way nobody would complain, so if your destination is BCN there you have it but they know and we know that you do not make an airport grow like this.

Some US Airlines cashed on this mistake and started flights, seasonal first and slowly making them year round. SQ had a vision and went for it. With the help from Spanair and BCN's location at the far East of Spain they can channel pax via BCN and capture a virgin market as they are the first ones to tap into it. This flight is highly successful. My last flight on them on May 21, 75% of pax boarded in BCN and on they way into BCN April 18 it was also 70%. I must say that the majority were Australians, then Singaporean on holiday and connections from NRT and China. Just a 10-15% Spanish

This is telling us that the market (or critical mass as they like to use in Spanish media) is there, but at 3 flights a week the job is only just started. The flight is expensive and often full. I had to book on TG/LH in July because it was impossible to get a seat.

EK is the answer, they have so many more connections and with their reputation and amount of cargo (they have 747 cargo flights) the marketing expense would be minimal. Now for EK, BCN or MAD, well this will be a fierce political fight and I am not sure the final result may not be the best in the economical sense.

Yes... Iberia hve walked away with the Merc and has given BCN Lada's to do with. Iberia has indeed walked away from an airport that grows at least 10% in recent years. Yes the Iberia group still carries 30-40% of passengers, but we know it is Air Shuttle and few other remaining routes (MXP will be Clickair soon). But the focus is gone.

Spanair/Comet want to capitalise on this and announce their plans... then Iberia thinks it twice and want TS for themselves, so they go to the media and announce 10 new flights. The 10 in the above list are just a wet dream, never in our lives... There are no connections and the focus in Lat Am anyway.... Any Spanish Airline will have to survive with their own pax and no connections except South America.

Also most airlines from South America can't see too far ahead and try desperately to fight for a spot in MAD, all competing in the same arena when there are many other untapped airports, specially if they want to go into Europe rather than just Spain.

I honestly cannot see Iberia further East than TLV, and it would be very hard for them to win BCN back, specially if they loose access to the new TS in BCN. In the meantime other European airlines (mostly Star Alliance) are positioning themselves even with limited connections.

Spanish Airports can't do their own marketing because they all belong the same parent company, which is Government run as a pack. So the situation is bad. Spain is the kingdom of Low Cost Airlines but only because Iberia looked elsewhere and let other invade their home turf, but instead of admitting a mistake they blame on productivity and yields.

Still most airlines beyond Europe are very shy on Spain and undecided between BCN and MAD, prove that there is business potential in Barcelona but more connectivity in MAD so we are all running in circles waiting for something to happen.

In the meantime Iberia want to be sold, but not, too sacred someone will change their policies and structure and network so they are putting out this, we are very open and expanding and have all these plans for the future that involve BCN.... well if you want to hang on to T4 you'd better not do that....

Anyway it is interesting situation and in the end the market will dictate as consumers have a choice, and an opinion.

Albert

trinxat
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Well said SYDBCN

About your point that the opportunity is EK, this migth be true (they already have a cargo connection to BCN). I would like to see them in BCN the same way as Jet airways has pushed in BRU. But something is missing: support from authorities.

Aena will favour MAD as usual in such a potential competition, and there you have it. Unless BCN becomes eventually a private and self-controlled entity, it will always be a second-tier airport, the way Aena wants to keep it.

SYDBCN

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:29 pm

Trinxat...

There is a definite market for EK in both MAD and BCN, however MAD has Qatar so maybe EK is best for BCN as they also have the cargo operations. A flight to US or Canada with a stop in BCN would be great.. a la Jet Airways with BRU as you point out.

Not sure about the authorities... it is hard to know who they support and for what reasons.. I do not think the Spanish Government cares much about BCN Airport.. whether it is private or not. In fact it would relieve them of frictions with Catalan Government if they let go of it..

However the precedent would be there and the Madrid Comunidad would ask for Barajas, then AENA would be left with the scraps... and no revenue for Spain. However this would create a true state of competiton and you would see increased routes and from more diverse airports, The profits would stay within the local communities and no more revenue for big Brother.. so I am afraid AENA is there to stay..

The case is different in Australia where each airport can go and promote themselves and negotiate the routes. The Government is however very concerned with competition against QF and guards itself from new entrants.. Not a good situation but different to Spain.

Albert

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos