Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lovinitflyboy

RE: Bmi Longhaul And Medium Haul Expansion

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting ZuluTime (Reply 44):
Why would United suddenly start LHR-Denver next year when it's a route that they could have previously obtained authority to fly under Bermuda II if they had asked for it?

Under the Bermuda II agreement, if UA wanted to start DEN-LON, whey would have had to fly it to LGW and BA would have been forced to switch there DEN service to LGW as well.

Thank god this agreement is going, it is so confusing!!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):
I would say MME-LHR could be a goner...can't be cheap operating ER4s on that route...

from what here the MME station will be reviewed in September

bmiexpat
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:52 pm

bmi/BMED update

According to an internal newsletter bmi will start selling tickets for it's new BMED services from 4th Sept, at which time the BD code will be added to the flights.

The newsletter also confirms that aggreement has been reached with BA for a codeshare arrangement so that BA will continue to sell and ticket BMED routes after 28th October.

No definite list of routes/schedules as yet however.

richardw

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Bmiexpat (Reply 51):
that aggreement has been reached with BA for a codeshare arrangement so that BA will continue to sell and ticket BMED routes after 28th October

but will they allow BA feed into these routes at LHR?

bmiexpat
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 52):
but will they allow BA feed into these routes at LHR?

In the newsletter it talks about codeshare agreements existing to allow interline activity, however it doesn't explicitly say that it will in the case of bmi/BA. However, I would have thought this to be the case with BA code on ex BMED routes, as it wouldn't be much use to BA otherwise.

jonnywishbone

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 49):
I still think bmi are likely to can it to put all their eggs in the LHR basket - a wrong decision in my view

Agree with you 100% Cornish...

Why oh why are they SO intent on the long haul bandwagon out of LHR? With everyone else on the case, they wont make money. If they drop MAN-ORD, it will be the final straw and will be a sure fire sign that the management all need putting in padded cells!

BMI's only superior offering on long haul is a Chef in J class, great facilities if you have a heart attack and superb livery... Not enough to cut the mustard against BA/VS out of LHR.

All the money out of LHR is on big J class planes paid by Corporates... If their rule is BA/AA, where they get incentives to use volume purchases, they are not going to chose BMI just because they go to Cleveland Ohio! It's just not going to work for them!

Get your cash out Branson, buy the buggers and get a Virgin short haul feeder system that can offer some serious competition to BA as an all round airline.

purplebox

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 54):
superb livery..

Yes - absolutly fantastic - all shiny and very British.

PurpleBox.
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

alangirvan

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:17 am

5 A330s might replace the JFK-LHR flights that UA sold to Delta last year - so UA will be back in the JFK-LHR market as codeshares on the BMI flights. Then daily BMI flights from LHR to ORD and IAD - the two United hubs. BMI would add their flights to the flights UA already operates on these routes. Because of the alliance, IAD and ORD will be stronger ports for BMI than they are for Virgin. That is my guess, anyway.

ba319-131

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:01 am

Why oh why are they SO intent on the long haul bandwagon out of LHR? With everyone else on the case, they wont make money.

- I guess they think they willmake stacks of ££, they need to get real, fares are going to actually drop as CO, DL, NW and perhaps US enter LHR.

BMI's only superior offering on long haul is a Chef in J class, great facilities if you have a heart attack and superb livery... Not enough to cut the mustard against BA/VS out of LHR.

- Agreed

Get your cash out Branson, buy the buggers and get a Virgin short haul feeder system that can offer some serious competition to BA as an all round airline.

- Make's sense to me

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):
I would say MME-LHR could be a goner...can't be cheap operating ER4s on that route...

- What about ABZ, they fly those there from LHR too whilst BA fly proper planes.

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

BestWestern

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 56):
5 A330s might replace the JFK-LHR flights that UA sold to Delta last year - so UA will be back in the JFK-LHR market as codeshares on the BMI flights. Then daily BMI flights from LHR to ORD

Five A330's on LHR JFK - now that really is all your eggs in one basket.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

HanginOut

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:47 am

If JFK-LHR is operated by BD, I can see this route being a success as they would be the only Star carrier on the route. CLT and PHX also make sense, but SEA? Wouldn't they be better off with DEN or PHL?

I agree with those of you who think that a dual hub strategy would be the way to go for BD. LHR and MAN would be a great operation, let's hope that the "management" at BD will adopt this idea. I see a lot of potential for MAN, the problem is that BD management don't seem to.

UAL777UK

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting HanginOut (Reply 59):
If JFK-LHR is operated by BD, I can see this route being a success as they would be the only Star carrier on the route. CLT and PHX also make sense, but SEA? Wouldn't they be better off with DEN or PHL?

I agree that BD will will go with LHR-JFK, the amount of frequency I am not too sure. I dont think for one minute they will go LHR-DEN, UA would not be happy about that IMHO. UA will I hope open that route up themselves, next year.

HanginOut

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 60):
LHR-DEN, UA would not be happy about that IMHO. UA will I hope open that route up themselves, next year

UA may not be happy with it, but considering that they have a shortage of longhaul planes for all of the routes that they would like to fly, wouldn't it make sense to let BD fly this route and codeshare with them?

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting HanginOut (Reply 59):
I agree with those of you who think that a dual hub strategy would be the way to go for BD. LHR and MAN would be a great operation,

Thanks for the support! However, BD need to be aggressive in their expansion plans, but with Sir M still running the roost, this just isn't going to happen.

I could be mistaken, but MAN is unrestricted for routes, so they could build up a nice hub here, and maybe GLA as i've also said, and get the bmi regional and mainline network feeding from the UK & Europe. I thik I'm in the wrong job, I shud go into route planning!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

UAL777UK

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting HanginOut (Reply 61):
UA may not be happy with it, but considering that they have a shortage of longhaul planes for all of the routes that they would like to fly, wouldn't it make sense to let BD fly this route and codeshare with them?

Just dont see it happening, UA will be able to tweak the fleet a little more to get their own metal on the route, then they will serve all their own hubs from LHR

alangirvan

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 58):
Quoting Alangirvan (Reply 56):
5 A330s might replace the JFK-LHR flights that UA sold to Delta last year - so UA will be back in the JFK-LHR market as codeshares on the BMI flights. Then daily BMI flights from LHR to ORD

UA operated twice daily LHR-JFK which they sold to DL. 5 A330s would be enough to cover BMI twice daily LHR-JFK, plus daily LHR to IAD and ORD. Five A330s on LHR-JFK would be putting all the eggs in one basket, but if BMI/*A wants to compete against BA/VS and AA, frequency is important if they are hoping to attract business traffic.

As for whether BMI or UA would operate LHR to DEN - this is why alliances exist. The airlines are allowed to have a quick chat about which company will provide the plane and then they both sell the service as a Joint Service Agreement. Will the market be stronger out of London or out of Denver? Would a BMI A330 perform better out of Denver Airport than a 777 or 763 operated by UA?

jonnywishbone

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 pm

According to bmi's ress release this morning, it's starting.....

bmi, Heathrow’s second largest carrier, has announced that it will serve a new destination as well as introduce major enhancements to its network of services from Heathrow with effect from 28 October this year.

The airline is to launch daily flights from London to the Egyptian capital of Cairo. The new competitive service will be operated by an Airbus A320 aircraft in a two class business and economy configuration.

Think i'll stick with Club World and a nice bed!!!

AIR MALTA

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 65):
bmi, Heathrow’s second largest carrier, has announced that it will serve a new destination as well as introduce major enhancements to its network of services from Heathrow with effect from 28 October this year.

The airline is to launch daily flights from London to the Egyptian capital of Cairo. The new competitive service will be operated by an Airbus A320 aircraft in a two class business and economy configuration.

Well done BMI. At least they are trying differenet things now, especially with the purchase of BMED. BA has been very conservative lately, disposing of destinations rather than adding new ones.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

AIR MALTA

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 pm

BMI has published the new schedules for flights to Amman and Beirut starting 28Oct. Flights will be operated daily.
Flights to ALexandria will be stopped and a code share agreement with Egyptair will be signed.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/abou...ssreleases.aspx?year=2007&rid=1147

JoFMO

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 65):
Think i'll stick with Club World and a nice bed!!!

But who needs a bed for a 5 hour flight in the afternoon?

I would say the sky bed is rather useless for a daylight flight to Mediterranean.

AIR MALTA

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting JoFMO (Reply 68):
But who needs a bed for a 5 hour flight in the afternoon?

I would say the sky bed is rather useless for a daylight flight to Mediterranean.

You're right. And if BMI offers cheaper flights it would be very interesting!

jamesontheroad

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 69):

You're right. And if BMI offers cheaper flights it would be very interesting!

Without intending to advertise on a.net, the launch prices are being plugged on BD's homepage now. Do any regulars on this route know how they compare to BA et al?

*j*

ZKOJH

Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:58 am

lets hope their product is good then on longhaul , might have to give them a go soon use one of my free upgrades.
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

theginge

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting PM (Reply 16):
think that when the dust settled they were BA slots which BMed had ben using but which BA had first right to acquire... Or something like that! (In other words, BD didn't have much choice in the matter.)

Slots were always BMED slots, BA got them as part of the deal as they had first refusal on who bought BMED. Without that BA would not have let BMI purchase BMED

Quoting BCALBOY (Reply 29):
We don-t know if the slots acquired by BA as part of the B.MED deal are the actual B.MED slots or if they
are a mix from the overall BMI/BMED portfolio. The Bmed slots have a high proportion of arrivals between 1200-1400 and a high proportion of departures around 2100 fm LHR . Could BA manage such an increase in activity all in the same timeframes ?

It doesn;t matter what time they are, BA has so many slots that if it wants it will just shuffle slots around so they can expand in the better time frames and use the BMED slots to fill in the gaps left over.

BCALBOY

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Theginge (Reply 72):
It doesn;t matter what time they are, BA has so many slots that if it wants it will just shuffle slots around so they can expand in the better time frames and use the BMED slots to fill in the gaps left over.

Don-t understand yr logic here.

Sure BA has lots of slots and can shuffle around which routes have which slots but if it acquires
8 new slots dep c 2100 and arr between 1200 and 1400 , the additional activity will be at
these timings regardless of what routes they are used for .
No amount of shuffling routes will allow them to expand in the "better time frames" .
The only way to do that would be to swap the Bmed slots with other carriers for better timings and that is
easier said than done...( 1400 arr 2100 dep ?? ) and if anyone is willing to swap will want to be compensated
financially .

steeler83

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 58):

How about being foolish, perhaps ignorant?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LHRBlueSkies

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 74):
How about being foolish, perhaps ignorant?

Foolish - yes. Ignorant - silly comment.
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos