jimyvr
Topic Author

Airbus Pulled A350 Promo Vid W/ EK + EY Livery

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:26 am

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/post.main

Looks like Flight International caught a boo hoo by Airbus with the A350XWB promo video features the plane in Emriates and ETIHAD livery when both haven't announce the order.

However, liveries of Finnair, Singapore Airlines, Pegasus and Kingfisher for the promo video, still floating on Airbus site.

Airbus blames external suppliers for the mistake.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

EI321

RE: Airbus Pulled A350 Promo Vid W/ EK + EY Livery

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:32 am

H'mmmm.

Could this be a pre announcement faux-pas?

sabenapilot

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Thread starter):
Flight International caught a boo hoo by Airbus with the A350XWB promo video features the plane in Emirates and ETIHAD livery when both haven't announce the order.

Wasn't it Flight International that illustrated an article on the 787 with an artistic rendering of an A350 or vice versa only recently????

I don't think it is a secret to tell we at Airbus have a set of artistic renderings all of our planes in virtually every large airlines' livery that potentially could order them one day.

It is just common sense that when airline X announces an orders for new Airbus planes, we can have a picture out with the press release WITHOUT having to start working on such a picture.

The conclusion is that everybody (whether it is FI, Airbus or indeed also Boeing) also have employees which aren't aviation freaks and occasionally click the wrong buttons when making their selections from the huge company database...

Expect the clip to be re-edited and re-distributed soon.

atlaaron

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Sabenapilot (Reply 2):
I don't think it is a secret to tell we at Airbus have a set of artistic renderings all of our planes in virtually every large airlines' livery that potentially could order them one day.

I'm not buying it. And if it is true I would be angry if I was a shareholder and time and money was being wasted on sitting around making "artistic renderings" of what MIGHT someday happen.

I think we will see an order from these two soon.

EI321

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 am

Wasn't it Flight International that illustrated an article on the 787 with an artistic rendering of an A350 or vice versa only recently????

They (flight) did a 787-10 / Emirates rendering before.

Possible.

jimyvr
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:17 am

1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

sabenapilot

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 3):
I'm not buying it.

Well, sorry, but it is not a possibility, it is a fact.

if it is true I would be angry if I was a shareholder and time and money was being wasted on sitting around making "artistic renderings" of what MIGHT someday happen.

So you think it is far better not to do this and call in the guy making the drawings at 8 o' clock on a Friday evening to make one once the deal is struck on the other side of the word and them have him send his work over...  idea 

Not to mention that such an artistic rendering could then be used to either open or end the very commonly used power point presentations to the management of the airline which we are trying to convince...

I know for sure Boeing too has artistic renderings of 787 in Emirates colours... just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist..; they do exist, as I have seen them (EK has shown us a Power Point show made by Boeing and I suppose they do the same with ours too)

Lumberton

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):

IMO, yes. Dubai Inc, led by the al Maktoums bought 3.1% of EADS; EK will order the A350XWB. Ordering the 787 would not help EADS & hurt their investment. Leaving aside arguments on technical merit, this is simply rational self-interest. EY is more interesting . . . .
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Stitch

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 7):
Dubai Inc, led by the al Maktoums bought 3.1% of EADS; EK will order the A350XWB. Ordering the 787 would not help EADS & hurt their investment. Leaving aside arguments on technical merit, this is simply rational self-interest.

Even if EK does order the A350 and even if they do order 100 of them, EK's growth plans are going to need more planes. So I still think we'll see 787-10s and 787HGWs in EK's colors alongside the A350. Same if EK orders the 787 first - they will take A350s later.

I'd be powerfully surprised if EY went with the 787. I really don't know why they took the 77W, unless it was availability, since they're adding to their A346 fleet, as well.

Hamlet69

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):

No.

thumbsup  Indeed. Boeing does the exact same thing. AFAIK, just about all manufacturers do. The respective sales teams usually come to the meetings with a little model and/or video of the aircraft to be presented in the livery of the airline to be presented to. This is simply a mistake of someone at Airbus or a third-party distributor releasing the wrong (incorrect) computer animation.

Regards,

Hamlet69  profile 
All gave some. Some gave all.

calags

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:47 pm

Airbus blames external suppliers for the mistake.

Airbus needs to work on their data synchronization with their external suppliers as well as their internal organizations if they are to avoid having the A380 problems recur during the A350XWB program. Hopefully this is just a holdover from the old regime before Power8 takes into effect.

LifelinerOne

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting Calags (Reply 10):
Airbus needs to work on their data synchronization with their external suppliers as well as their internal organizations if they are to avoid having the A380 problems recur during the A350XWB program. Hopefully this is just a holdover from the old regime before Power8 takes into effect.

I think you're overstretching it here a bit. This is small issue, a little mistake by the Marketing department. However, as I said in the other thread about the A350-site, I don't believe in coincidence. I think Airbus was just showing what is going to come... A little cheeky, but it will probably made the Boeing guys chatting about it just as we did. Psycho Warfare  Wink

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 11):
I think you're overstretching it here a bit.

Yes me too. Anyone with the right package can make a video in any airlines livery. I saw the two in question and it did look nice in their colours!! Maybe its to humour EY and EK or maybe it was being reserved for when they do announce. Either way bit of a non story.

WINGS

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 pm

I find it strange that Flight International has removed the 787-10 image in Emirates colors. The only thing that currently remains is the following.

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

EI321

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting Hamlet69 (Reply 9):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):

No.

It was a rhetorical question.

The truth is that nobody knows.

DAYflyer

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Looks like Flight International caught a boo hoo by Airbus with the A350XWB promo video features the plane in Emriates and ETIHAD livery when both haven't announce the order.

Although both are likely to order it, this is still yet another example of PR FUBAR by Airbus. Didn't they watch the thing before authorizing placement on their own web site?
One Nation Under God

EI321

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 15):
Didn't they watch the thing before authorizing placement on their own web site?

Depends who you regard as they.

calags

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 11):
I think you're overstretching it here a bit. This is small issue, a little mistake by the Marketing department. However, as I said in the other thread about the A350-site, I don't believe in coincidence. I think Airbus was just showing what is going to come... A little cheeky, but it will probably made the Boeing guys chatting about it just as we did. Psycho Warfare Wink

Cheers! wave

I admit I was overstretching it a bit. In the long run this video glitch (if it is a glitch  crossfingers  ) doesn't matter much but I guess my point is Airbus shouldn't take data synchronization cavalierly especially during the A350XWB project.

As for cheekiness I believe Boeing also had that 787 vs A350 video a few years back so both firms certainly know how to make fun of the other.  Big grin

drexotica

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 am

I'm not buying it. And if it is true I would be angry if I was a shareholder and time and money was being wasted on sitting around making "artistic renderings" of what MIGHT someday happen.

Sabenapilot makes perfect sense on this issue.

The perspective that the time and money being 'wasted' on making artist renderings of possible future customers is in any way significant is quite silly. I would imagine that a company artist could easily whip one up in less than a day. Heck - assume you pay an artist $50/hour (very generous to say the least), coupled with 100% overhead (again generous), we are talking about approximately $1000 per rendering. Heck - double it again and it is still only $2000. This is a mere drop in the pool for a company like Airbus or Boeing.

I would call this 'being prepared'.
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

CX Flyboy

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:39 am

You should see the models around our office in CX colours....there are plenty of them, including things we will never buy....like the Sonic Cruiser and MD12!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos