kaitak
Topic Author

Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/07

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:26 am

Good evening folks and welcome to another dose of Irish aviation!

I'm afraid I'm pretty low on the news front, having been away for a while; just back today. Would certainly recommend Continental Airlines.

Just over a month now before the first of EI's new T/A routes, to IAD, starts up again. Was interested to see, at EI's AGM that the airline is looking for growth on long haul routes, but this seems to conflict with reports that it won't be taking on more capacity next year. Quite apart from new routes, they'll probably want to expand the soon to be introduced new routes from next year.

Has anyone heard a dickie bird from Dempsey yet? He's been in the job over a month (?) now and I haven't heard him say anything or express any vision ...

Over to you guys!

kaitak
Topic Author

RE: Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/07

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:50 am

Just reported that DUB had a significant increase in traffic for the first half of the year, with over 10.8m for the year to 30/6.

Interestingly, and disappointingly, transfer traffic is down quite severely.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/134-01.html

dstc47

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:57 am

Just being fussy, IAD is an entirely new route for EI.
Both previous EI services to "Washington" operated to BWI and I still think that, unless IAD is giving them free landing charges for life, BWI is still a much more viable option than IAD. Time will tell. There is almost no ethnic Irish market in the D.C. area and the Federal Government, and others, will continue to use UA services via LHR for the small enough amount of business they send to Dublin.

Incidentally the EU Commission has launched a number of investigations concerning possible illegal state aid granted by some European airports today, including some airports where the beneficiaries may include FR.

BestWestern

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
that the airline is looking for growth on long haul routes

Quite simple - next years % growth on long haul will be impressive - as they will have 10 months of no history on MCO and SFO, and 8 months IAD to compare against 2007 against. Great % growth headlines

dickie bird from Dempsey yet?

He appeared in the cockpit of the EY aircraft in Dublin and was snapped by the Irish Indo....

His key task for the next 30 days.

Get planning permission for T2 at Dublin. No more discussions, commissions, tribunals, reviews, etc - time to start building.

Oh, and someone needs to tell FR that they are now a large airline. They need to stop acting like a teenager, thinking they know best about everything.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:06 am

Welcome back Kaitak & thank you for starting us off again. We really needed you to come back as we were approaching 300 posts on the last thread.

Would certainly recommend Continental Airlines.

I certainly agree with you. I flew with them twice (once to New York (EWR) & once to Boston vis EWR) & found them excellent. Transfers were very easy & EWR is a great airport to pass time in during layovers. There are plenty of stores & restaurants.

Here's the article from todays Clare People I posted on the last thread just in case some of you didn't get to read it.

Quoting Clare People, 10th July, 2007:

AIRPORT ON COURSE FOR RECORD YEAR

THE early impact of the phased introduction, of the Open Skies aviation deal is being felt at Shannon Airport where transatlantic traffic has dropped by 5 per cent to date this year. In figures for the first six months of 2007 released yesterday, the Shannon Airport Authority (SAA) confirmed that transatlantic traffic had dropped 5 per cent to 325,000. This follows American Airlines withdrawing its dedicated Boston service. Airport Director, Martin Moroney said: "We are pleased that Aer Lingus, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines and US Airways have committed to Shannon for next winter and summer." However, the overall figures for Shannon remains very positive with the six-month traffic report showing an increase of 9 per cent in international terminal traffic. A record 1.4 million people traveled to and from international destinations since January 1 this year. A statement from the SAA states: "Record traffic figures were recorded for the month of June also. International terminal traffic numbers rose by 12 per cent when compared to the same time period last year." Mr Moroney said, "Our key focus in the coming months will be to ensure that with significant reductions in our cost structure Shannon will become a viable, self sustaining business; with capacity and efficiency to grow its airline network in the interests of the region. We will continue to compete aggressively with all the other airport and consolidate our position as Ireland's second largest airport." Mr Moroney added, "We are pleased with the strong performance of our traffic to date and the outlook for the remainder of the year looks positive. Passenger throughput for the month of June alone is well ahead of expectation with short haul and transatlantic services increasing by 15 per cent and 4 per cent respectively. 'The statement continued: "In the six month period to the end of June. The short haul European and UK scheduled network has grown by 16 per cent to over 1 million passengers. "This strong growth is mainly attributed to the development of new routes by Ryanair and ongoing developments by Aer Lingus and Centralwings. "On charters, over 100,000 passengers traveled from Shannon to sun destinations.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:20 am

What's going on with all the flying schools in Dublin; apparently, according to today's Indo, all will have to close by Sept, as their portokabins are being torn down (one of which houses a simulator).

Surely, in a country which needs a lot of new pilots, this is hardly a good idea. Hopefully some common-sense solution can be reached.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 3):
Quite simple - next years % growth on long haul will be impressive - as they will have 10 months of no history on MCO and SFO, and 8 months IAD to compare against 2007 against. Great % growth headlines

Fair point, no doubt, but I would still expect to see frequencies to be inc. by next year; in particular, it's likely that SFO would go to daily, as it seems to be performing better than LAX. A daily service to SFO would definitely require a further aircraft. 2009 growth already planned, with arrival of first of new batch of A330s, but most of this seems to be replacement of existing capacity rather than growth.

shamrock350

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:23 am

Welcome back Kaitak, the old thread was getting close to 300 posts!

I think the reason that EI is going to IAD and not BWI is because it's a UA hub. I think I remember DM or someone from EI saying recently that IAD bookings were looking good as are MCO and SFO.

I'm interested in the new Europe-Ireland-USA routes by Aer Lingus. A friend of mine said he was thinking about flying to JFK from LHR but VS and BA were quite expensive, I told him to try EI and they were cheaper he was just unsure about going through DUB. I wonder how much of a success this will be for both EI and DUB.

EISHN

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 am

For OA260:
We tried Denny's for breakfast down at Long Beach, after we missed it on the Queen Mary. We stood out quite a bit as tourists, as five of us were wearing red, white and blue Munster jerseys (as it was the fourth of July). The food was good, but very filling, and the tea wasn't great. But otherwise fine.

IAD will do good in my opinion. It keeps UA out. It allows for a new codeshare, to increase the number of passengers on the route who may book travel to Ireland with UA and end up flying EI.
LAX does pretty well. My mother has flown the route 3 times in the last year, and Y is always full, and Premier also.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

COEI2007

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 287):
''Years ago I did my cabin crew training and did one training flight then jacked it in!!! Begged them for ground staff. I just couldnt be bothered serving people and getting all the flack from rude passengers. It was bad enough on check in and ticket counter. It wasnt even as bad back then as it is now with all the air rage and drunks that you can get

Totally understand. Working with the general public can be a nightmare. Too many people now think that paying for something also gives a god-given licence to be rude''

-I worked on the ground, and moved to flying. I dont regret it for a second. Flying is soo much fun. The ground staff get all the abuse, and we get more relaxed pax, as they've vented their anger at others! Most people know they have to pay for stuff onboard. You get the odd one who thinks its free, but thats life! You get the odd rude person, but most are really nice, and when you have a good crew working the flight, you really enjoy working!

Quoting N272WA (Reply 284):
''Aye my mate who is EI cabin crew got sick on the DUB-DXB flight the weekend before last. Food Poisoning. Was hospitalised in DXB and when released, he was made work the return flight back to DUB a few days later. They said the flight could not leave if he didn't work it. Poor chap was sweating profusely and half faint. He got off the flight in DUB and went straight to doctor again and was allowed drive home.... i found that shocking. Where is th
e cabin manager in all of this, I ask myself.... Was not impressed by Aer Lingus upon hearing this. He is being sent back to DXB this weekend again.''

-Well, theres two sides to every story. In all honesty, I dont think EI would force him to fly. Our crew control are actually really good. They can operate with one less cabin crew on the return leg of the flight, so they wouldnt have let him fly unless he was medically ok. I think crew going on DXB trips need to watch themselves, as us Irish are prone to getting burnt alive, and looking like lobsters.

Quoting N272WA (Reply 284):
''Actually, I looked at his roster, and he had a JFK, a LAX, DXB, JFK, DXB in very quick succession. With ALC thrown in for good measure on Sunday. Seems like they might be having staffing issues at EI.''

''Jesus sounds a bit much alright. On the suface most of us are probably thinking great, good chance to fly but not when your the poor sod handing out the pretzels. Have to say I have heard a few bad reports about EI pushing their staff to the limit. I understand their need to cut costs etc and I understand that some unionised people have put EI staff under pressure themselves due to their actions but that doesnt mean you kill the good staff you do have''

-The roster can be tough at times, but after Transaltantic's and DXB's, we get a set amount of time off. We certainly work hard, but I dont think we are being pushed to the limit by the company. If you dont get yourself into a regular sleeping pattern, eat healthily and take plenty of supplements, you'll end up sick and exhausted. Its more like a lifestyle/regime than job! Sleep and a good diet is really important for flying longhaul, which N272WA's friend sounds like he mostly does. With regards to staffing issues, they're in the process of taking on about 400 new crew, so staffing issues arent really an excuse.

BrianDromey

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:39 am

Good to see such growth to DUB, although SNN is also performing well. growing at about 9%. ORK is growing at a similar rate, 10%, although services to LON are down some 10% (easyJet are gone) but continental europe traffic is up nearly 25%

Source: Irish Examiner.

Ive been looking at the EY website. Its a great site, with great fares.....

Apparently FR are closely looking at LBA and PIK from ORK. LBA being operated by the ORK aircraft and PIK being operated from that base. LBA really makes no sense to me, with FR just about to launch LBA from SNN. I would have thought EMA to have been more likely, and a safer bet.

I have also heard that EI are looking into at least one additional mainland european destination. On the other hand centralWings look likely to pull out.

But who knows!

Brian.

EI564

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 1):
Interestingly, and disappointingly, transfer traffic is down quite severely.

I bet they meant transits. Not transfers. With Open Skies imminent there wouldn't be many flights transiting through Dublin anymore.

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 7):
We stood out quite a bit as tourists, as five of us were wearing red, white and blue Munster jerseys (as it was the fourth of July). The food was good, but very filling, and the tea wasn't great. But otherwise fine.

Haha yes you do tend to roll out after all that food and pancakes and syrup . Oh and you NEVER get decent Tea in USA. I even tried having friends bring me over Tetley or PG Tipps when I was there and it must have been the water or something because it just wasnt the same. They like it weak as water over there lol.... I stick to the Coffee when im there.

Kaitak I just heard about the flying schools on 9pm news is a real shame and stupid IMHO !!! I just got RTE installed on my sattalite the last few days. Shame i missed those EI 747 shots a few weeks back . I wonder if they will show them again.

I probably should have waited to post the EY info but it is on the end of the last thread if anyones interested.

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 5):
What's going on with all the flying schools in Dublin; apparently, according to today's Indo, all will have to close by Sept, as their portokabins are being torn down (one of which houses a simulator).

Surely, in a country which needs a lot of new pilots, this is hardly a good idea. Hopefully some common-sense solution can be reached.

Just saw this on the nine o'clock news. Aparently they were due to be relocated to another part of the airfield & someone objected to the planning application. However, the objection somehow lead the local authority to the decision to not only deny permission to re-locate but also that the current buildings should be removed. They mustn't have had proper planning permission or something. It is completely ridiculous & take it from someone who deals with local authorities alot that the words "common sense" are not in their dictionary & neither are the words "forwrd planning".
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

rineanna

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 9):
Apparently FR are closely looking at LBA and PIK from ORK. LBA being operated by the ORK aircraft and PIK being operated from that base. LBA really makes no sense to me, with FR just about to launch LBA from SNN. I would have thought EMA to have been more likely, and a safer bet.

Ya, plus it would be strange to announce LBA so soon after announcing SNN-LBA.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 3):
thinking they know best about everything.

Oh, but we do!  Wink

masseybrown

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 am

For Smokeyrosco and BestWestern:

Thanks for the flyglobespan comments. I wish the reports had been better since flying to Knock would have been a great convenience.

Maybe if we tell Continental that oil has been discovered off Westport ...

rineanna

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:26 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 14):

Well there is the oil (gas?) found off the coast of Mayo which is causing all the furore up in Mayo!! Would that entice a 752 to NOC???!!!

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting EI564 (Reply 10):
I bet they meant transits. Not transfers. With Open Skies imminent there wouldn't be many flights transiting through Dublin anymore.

Yes they meant ''Transit'' passengers . ORD-DUB-BCN etc.... not surprising really given the night mare that it is to transit in Dublin. You could miss a flight on a bad day. Actually even calling it transit is a joke. The only thing your not doing is getting your baggage. You have to land then start off as a new passenger again. Its actually funny that SNN has a long runway and better transit system then DUB . Yet people are pulling out of SNN and DUB is growing. Its all a bit ironic really.

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 14):

You'd never know. CO seem to have a good history of successfully connecting smaller airports to their EWR base using 752's but can hardly see them serving NOC. If CO are going to add another Irish destination to their route network it will be ORK. Then again, the aviation world is a strange one & stranger things than CO operating on NOC-EWR have happened.

smokeyrosco

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 15):
Well there is the oil (gas?)

I'm pretty sure it's Natural Gas.

I'm just back from a bit o' spotting @ DUB, my word it's a busy place for a Tuesday Afternoon, got to see the EY 332 Push and take to the skies, she looked very well I have too say... even looks classy from the outside. It was waiting a while to get to the top of the queue after push and then had to wait for two aircraft to land and be fully ready before the second one landed then it took off without stopping once it crossed the threshold. If that makes sense

Got to see RE's 'logoprop', also looked particularly well and then there was the usual stream of EI 320/1's and FR 738's (they must all have winglets now?) dotted with a few WX aircraft, EY's 332, a BMI 320, the UPS Maersk 767 freighter, a TNT 737 take off and another one land, A DHL A300, an Air Contractors/Fedex ATR, Futura 737 as well as a few private aircraft and I'm sure a couple of more airlines I am missing. All in all not bad for less then an hour!! There always seemed to be a queue taking off and a queue on approach.

I also got to try out my new scanner after purchasing the software for it to sync and edit it from my laptop, i have to say it was a dream, now I just want to pick up on frequencies for the handling agents and I'm fully ready to camp out there if we do meet up!
John Hancock

bx737

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:53 am

I was working on EI-DUZ over the weekend and took a couple of photos of it in JFK before pax boarded. Hopefully this will work:

www.freewebs.com/bx737/aircraft.htm

If you go to the last two photos they are there.

Having been recently promoted to cabin manager I would be concerned at the way N272WAs friend was treated. I would not be happy to let an ill crew member work. I would only let them fly home if they got the ok from the doctor to fly. As COEI2007 pointed out there are procedures in place to fly home from an outstation with eight cabin crew, indeed the A330 to AGP is only crewed with 8 cabin crew. The flight would not have been cancelled in that case unless 2 crew were sick.

COEI2007 is also correct when he says that there is a huge recruitment drive in cabin crew currently. Last summer and earlier on in the year there were huge shortages in crew numbers. People were coming in on deays off and people were working up to their maximum hours allowable for the year according to JAR-Ops. Things have eased up this year which is great.

smokeyrosco

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 19):
I was working on EI-DUZ over the weekend and took a couple of photos

Nice Pics cheers, I like the pic of JetGreen too

Having been recently promoted to cabin manager

Congrats!
John Hancock

bx737

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 20):

Thanks on both counts

Forgot to mention that I saw on the ticker news on www.skyliner-aviation.de that Ryanair is rumoured to be acquiring a 10% stake in Air Berlin.

[Edited 2007-07-11 01:07:25]

shamrock350

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 am

Thanks for the photos Bx737! The seats look great and very similar to QR in economy.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frikkie Bekker

rineanna

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 20):

Congrats!

I second that. Hope you enjoy the post and, who knows, you might do a WW and end up in DM's office!

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 22):
The seats look great and very similar to QR in economy.

Woah those seats are red!

I was working on EI-DUZ over the weekend and took a couple of photos of it in JFK before pax boarded.

What's your personal opinion of the new aircraft in relation to PAX satisfaction (PTV, seats, etc.), and is it nice to work on?

EI787

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:22 am

Are there any nice lighting effects on EI's A330's such as those seen in the QR photo above?

shamrock350

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 am

Bx737, do you know if EI-DUZ/DUO has mood lighting?

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 23):
Woah those seats are red!

I know I thought VS was bad  Wink

Congrats  bigthumbsup 

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 am

On the other hand centralWings look likely to pull out.

Aren't they supposed to be taking over DUB-WAW from LO in Sept/Oct.

Quoting EI564 (Reply 10):

There's still a lot of cities which don't have service; remember, EI serves around 50+ short haul routes and the mere fact that there is Open Skies doesn't necessarily mean these cities will get service. It may well be just as convenient to transfer through another city. I think this is part of EI's strategy in bringing arrival times into DUB to about 5-5.30am, to facilitate connections. Again, however, the obstacle is DUB and they really need to get the DAA to improve facilities for doing this. Don't forget also that once the r'ship with RE is fully developed, there will be a lot more of this happening.

I wonder what that new short haul route might be, however. DME, perhaps, or Zagreb, Dresden or Leipzig?

smokeyrosco

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am

I'm wondering why Moscow STILL isn't being served, it must be screaming for service.... I'll place a wager that there will be direct DUB - Moscow (or Moscow - DUB) service for summer next year.
John Hancock

bx737

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:27 am

What's your personal opinion of the new aircraft in relation to PAX satisfaction (PTV, seats, etc.), and is it nice to work on?

Pax were very impressed with it until the IFE misbehaved on the outbound flight. Its lucky I didn't attack it with something. In the end it won and I waved the white flag, but on the way back it bahaved. The IFE is state of the art and EI is one of the first airlines in the world to use this particular system. The pax were very impressed getting on and kept asking was it a new plane. Premier pax like the seats and the way they recline, they found it to be very nice. Its not a bad plane to work on, in fact all Airbuses are nice to work on. They are well laid out, usually and everything usually works as it should. Bearing in mind I am an ex EI Commuter head where we had the 146s this is a change.

Quoting EI787 (Reply 24):
Are there any nice lighting effects on EI's A330's such as those seen in the QR photo above?

If there are I didn't find them, but I don't think that there are.

tonymctigue

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Congratulations.

It's good to hear that the pax so far are impressed with the new AC. EI really need to upgrade some of the older interiors to bring them in line with the interiors on the two new AC. Someone mentioned on the previous threat that they recently travelled on EI-DAA & mentioned that the interior was very tired & worn looking.

n272wa

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Bx737, congratulations on the promotion and thanks for the pics!!

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:32 pm

What is the seat pitch on EI A330 in Y class???? It looks quite tight . I read somewhere that EI did not go for mood lighting. I think EI will suffer from the same problem as the last 5-8 years. In consistent long haul product. Alot of people now expect PTV's to pass the time and it can be a factor in deciding who to fly with. EI should have upgraded all A330's and have one reliable , consistent product. Its like a lotto at the moment . I would personally only fly EI trans Atlantic if it was on DUO or DUZ.

shamrock350

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm happy that passengers are impressed with the new cabin but as OA260 says, the product is inconsistent. It must be like flying two different airlines when you get EI-DUZ to BOS and on the return to Dublin you get EI-CRK. However there is nothing they can do about the -300s, they cant have PTVs and will start leaving the fleet in 2009 but the -200 are perfect, I'm sure they can have PTVs and updated cabins because it's not like they are leaving in a year or two, they are leaving a lot later and closer to when the A350 will be delivered.

I would still fly EI to JFK, DXB, BOS or ORD but not to SFO or LAX especially when you might get an aircraft like EI-EWR with no PTVs and a worn cabin.

Danny

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Was interested to see, at EI's AGM that the airline is looking for growth on long haul routes, but this seems to conflict with reports that it won't be taking on more capacity next year.

While EI might want to grow their long-haul further it is pretty much impossible to get any A330s next year if not secured before. It seems that EI does not have anything secured so they concede that won't be able to get any aircraft.

Good to see such growth to DUB,

It needs to be said this growth brings further deterioration of quality of services provided by DUB. Now you have to queue for up to an hour for security and queue for parking shuttles (never happened to me before).

On the other hand centralWings look likely to pull out.

I doubt it. DUB are their best routes and they will take WAW-DUB over from LO (although I don't see them successful on that route against EI and FR considering their operational issues).

[Edited 2007-07-11 12:33:52]

COEI2007

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:42 pm

I was working on EI-DUZ over the weekend and took a couple of photos of it in JFK before pax boarded. Hopefully this will work:

Looks very nice! Finally a glimpse that the old, quality and service orientated Aer Lingus is returning! I cant wait to do t/a now!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
EI should have upgraded all A330's and have one reliable , consistent product. Its like a lotto at the moment . I would personally only fly EI trans Atlantic if it was on DUO or DUZ.

Its a shame that the 330-200's arent getting the new cabins. Its a pity they couldnt put the new cabins on the 330-200's, and just keep the 4 older 330-300's, with the older cabins, flying SNN-BOS, SNN-JFK, DUB-MCO, and DUB-BOS. At least then if you book a DUB-ORD flight with EI, you know your'e getting the new J, and not paying a E3000 for the old seats!

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 34):
new J, and not paying a E3000 for the old seats!

How can EI justify charging Eur3000 for sub standard product and EY charge Eur3100 all the way to OZ!!!!! Madness...

EI787

RE: Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
How can EI justify charging Eur3000 for sub standard product and EY charge Eur3100 all the way to OZ!!!!! Madness...

Wow! Just saw that - looked at DUB-ORD with EI in November - €3654.20 in Business class. DUB-SYD in J Class with EY is €3128.09!!!!

[Edited 2007-07-11 13:35:29]

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 36):
DUB-SYD with EY is €3128.09!!!!

I know I actually couldnt believe it when I got the fares from EY for sale. I have sold loads . Their J class fares considering the product your getting is amazing. If you take the J class to AUH with free 45 min chauffeur car to DXB its Eur2152 and EI is Eur 3422!!! EI are not at the races ......

rineanna

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 34):
and just keep the 4 older 330-300's, with the older cabins, flying SNN-BOS, SNN-JFK, DUB-MCO, and DUB-BOS.

The people of the west thank you for your suggestion of leaving them without any chance of PTVs. But at the same time we're happy that the Dublin folk are getting the best t/a product. I'm joking, I just hope to fly t/a with EI from SNN in the near future and would rather -DAA/-DUZ/-DUO then any of the rest!

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 28):
Pax were very impressed with it until the IFE misbehaved on the outbound flight. Its lucky I didn't attack it with something. In the end it won and I waved the white flag, but on the way back it bahaved. The IFE is state of the art and EI is one of the first airlines in the world to use this particular system. The pax were very impressed getting on and kept asking was it a new plane. Premier pax like the seats and the way they recline, they found it to be very nice. Its not a bad plane to work on, in fact all Airbuses are nice to work on. They are well laid out, usually and everything usually works as it should.

That's good to hear. Hope the IFE doesn't play up too often though!

Bearing in mind I am an ex EI Commuter head where we had the 146s this is a change.

That's one hell of a jump!

dstc47

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Why do so many AVOD and IFE systems seem to fail, work erratically, or just not perform as expected?

It cant be that difficult, compared to the other on-board technology for them to work on without regular re-booting or in flight attention from crew. BA, LH, VS, KL, AF and EI all have had non functioning or part functioning IFE for me in the last year. I do not mean just one seat failures but section, or whole aircraft, failures. Only the SQ system seems to deliver consistent, good results. It is not rocket science, or is it?

bx737

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:04 pm

The IFE on DUO/DUZ is a Panasonic system that was supposed to start life on the A380. However the A380 is slightly late entering service so the first airline with this new IFE is Aer Lingus. Finnair also has the same system. As it is entering full airline service for the first time there are problems coming to the fore that Panasonic did not anticipate so these are being ironed out slowly but surely.

n272wa

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Of potential interest to Aer Lingus and interesting to notice Dublin on the list:

==

MIA BOOSTS PERKS TO WOO CARRIERS

Miami International Airport is replacing its airline incentive program with a new one that has more heft.

Miami International Airport will offer airlines new incentives, with a year of waived landing fees and other perks geared to lure more flights, boost revenue, increase competition and steer passengers away from other South Florida airports.

''We want to be able to provide at least what our competitors are offering, or better,'' said Miguel Southwell, Miami-Dade Aviation's assistant director for business retention and development.

The air service incentive program, which will be in place for three years, was approved by the Miami-Dade County Commission on Tuesday without debate.

Similar to the program it replaces, it will be capped at $3 million per year, based on a first-come, first-served basis, and will be funded through an airport improvement fund.

Tailored to MIA's market, for the first time, the program will offer incentives to all-cargo carriers in addition to passenger airlines.

Southwell said it could bear fruit soon. For years, MIA has been trying to attract international airlines that serve Africa and Asia, as well as low-cost carriers like JetBlue Airways.

''It could lead to new service by the fall, for both domestic and international service,'' he said.

The airport charges airlines landing fees of $2.70 per 1,000 pounds. A waiver of one year allows an airline flying a 747-400 to save $1,124.80 per daily flight, or $410,552 a year.

To qualify for the waiver of landing fees for a passenger flight in the United States or Canada, an airline must add a new year-round flight -- either a new frequency to an existing destination or new flight to a new destination.

To qualify for a waiver for an international flight, the year-round flight must be to a city previously not served by any carrier at MIA.

Additionally, the new program approved Tuesday offers various features not previously part of the airport's former program:

NEW FEATURES

• Any additional frequencies added to the new international route also will qualify for a one-year abatement.

• A carrier offering year-round international service to certain ''premium markets'' can receive up to $50,000 in airport matching funds to promote each new international destination.

Those markets include Cape Town and Johannesburg, South Africa; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Nairobi, Kenya; Lagos, Nigeria; Casablanca, Morocco; Brussels, Belgium; Dublin, Ireland; Helsinki, Finland; Moscow; Warsaw, Poland; Budapest, Hungary; Tokyo; Seoul, Korea; Hong Kong; Shanghai; Mumbai and New Delhi, India.

• A carrier offering international service seasonally (up to six months) to any of those premium markets will get a partial waiver of 25 percent for six months the first year and another six-month abatement for the second year. The carrier then must establish year-round service to get a 50 percent waiver for the third year.

• Any carrier offering year-round cargo freighter service from Asia, Africa or Europe, on a cargo route not served by an all-cargo carrier to MIA, will qualify for a 50 percent abatement of landing fees for a year. Any additional frequencies added to that route will also qualify for the abatement.

Aviation consultant Michael Boyd said the vast majority of major airports offer incentive programs, and that including cargo and seasonal flights makes sense for MIA.

Airlines base their decisions to add service on market demand and route strategy, but a waiver of landing fees might help push a carrier over the brink, said Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

''It shows that Miami is aggressive,'' he said. ''It shows the community and mostly the business community, that they are aggressive. But it is not a dealmaker or breaker.''

ORIGINAL PROGRAM

MIA offered its first incentive program in 2005, in an attempt to make the airport more competitive, boost revenue, lower fares and stem the loss of passengers to Fort Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport has also had an incentive program in place since 2000, offerring a year's waiver of landing fees, ticket counter and gate charges for service to certain target markets, including Tallahassee, Denver, San Francisco, Oakland, Western Europe, Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean.

To date, carriers including Aeromexico, Spirit Airlines and American Airlines have benefited, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood spokesman Greg Meyer said.

In addition to the advantages for airlines, ''it benefits the passengers flying in and out of our airport because it gives them a new destination,'' Meyer said.

MIA's previous program waived landing fees for a year for any new domestic flight and for service to an international city not currently served.

Four U.S. and two international airlines -- Alaska, Delta, AirTran, American Eagle, El Al and Avior -- earned incentives as part of that program -- which expired in May. Combined, their waived fees totaled $680,677.

Eirules

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi from London, arrived on Sunday with BD, first time having flown them. Not bad and a very good price (cheaper than FR).

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 38):
The people of the west thank you for your suggestion of leaving them without any chance of PTVs. But at the same time we're happy that the Dublin folk are getting the best t/a product. I'm joking, I just hope to fly t/a with EI from SNN in the near future and would rather -DAA/-DUZ/-DUO then any of the rest!

LOL very good, glad to see you have realised where the priorities of the country should lie!!!!  Wink Only messing

Sounds like good incentives from MIA but will this really be of use to EI? Are we likely to see them serve 2 airports in Florida before seeing them in the likes of DFW? Do the incentives apply to American carriers already at MIA who would start new routes (Im thinking AA here)?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

EISHN

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Oh and you NEVER get decent Tea in USA. I even tried having friends bring me over Tetley or PG Tipps when I was there and it must have been the water or something because it just wasnt the same.

Well we visited one of my mothers friends in San Diego, and he has two Irish neighbours, who originate from Wexford. It was quite funny arriving there. He had put up an Irish Blessing next to the front door, an Irish flag next to his American one, and just so happened to leave a news paper article about cycling around Ireland on his coffee table.! And when we walked into the kitchen, we were greeted with a bowl of TAYTO'S crisps, Lyons tea bags, and some Cadbury's chocolates!

What's your personal opinion of the new aircraft

I was talking to a EI steward, and he said that he didn't like the new aircraft cabin that much, saying it was too modern, and lost it's charm. But he liked the crew rest very much.

Bx737, do they still use the "old" safety video, or did they create a new one?

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 29):
Someone mentioned on the previous threat that they recently travelled on EI-DAA & mentioned that the interior was very tired & worn looking.

Twas I, and yes, the cabin is in a bad state. Not to mention that the crew didn't tend to the toilets at all during the flight. About halfway through, one of the lavs had run out of toilet paper, and all the lavs were quite messy, and disgusting. Thankfully I only used them twice.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 43):
He had put up an Irish Blessing next to the front door, an Irish flag next to his American one, and just so happened to leave a news paper article about cycling around Ireland on his coffee table.! And when we walked into the kitchen, we were greeted with a bowl of TAYTO'S crisps, Lyons tea bags, and some Cadbury's chocolates!

LOL.....they love that stuff over there . I remember one year I flew over on the 17th March and arrived in time for going with my mates to an Irish bar. I had brought some shamrock , they went mad for it . Ended up breaking it up and passing it around. Youd think id given them gold or something.

bx737

Quoting EISHN (Reply 43):

Bx737, do they still use the "old" safety video, or did they create a new one?

They still use the old one. Someone pointed out that your man who is dressed up like Rupert the Bear is the ideal passenger, he doesn't have a mouth. I can't look at it in the same light since. I think he needs to be pensioned off, maybe he will be soon enough.

kaitak
Topic Author

Quoting N272WA (Reply 41):
A carrier offering year-round international service to certain ''premium markets'' can receive up to $50,000 in airport matching funds to promote each new international destination.

Those markets include Cape Town and Johannesburg, South Africa; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Nairobi, Kenya; Lagos, Nigeria; Casablanca, Morocco; Brussels, Belgium; Dublin, Ireland; Helsinki, Finland; Moscow; Warsaw, Poland; Budapest, Hungary; Tokyo; Seoul, Korea; Hong Kong; Shanghai; Mumbai and New Delhi, India.

Yes, very good to see Dublin; presumably it will also be available to AA if EI don't do the needful. Many European routes to/from MIA perform very well; I believe FRA-MIA is among LH's best long haul routes and AF flies 744s, which says enough; MAD-MIA is obviously a very lucrative route. DUB should do well and of course, it will give a lot of links to Latin American destinations; if EI/DUB can get connections working effectively, (Europe)-DUB-MIA-(Latin America) could be a useful route - though hopefully not to people involved in illicit activities!

I was wondering, as I mentioned in a previous post, what would happen next year if EI doesn't - as now seems likely - introduce any new l/h aircraft, but then it occurred to me that the second ORD flight, originating in SNN, may be axed, which would create capacity for a new route like MIA.

Surprise, surprise, look who's being a cranky pants today ...

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin...news/publish/article_1010574.shtml

Basically, the airline is calling the DAA a bunch of liars - just what you want for a good working r'ship.

bx737

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Interesting article Kaitak. I wonder what airport I operate out of that has Dublin written over the roof with half hour taxi to take off or a long wait for a free stand after landing. Something needs to be done about Dublin movements, it is chaotic. Whether it is inexperience of ATC or an inability of ATC to cope with large numbers of movements, or is it that all airlines and their passengers want to leave between 06:30 to 07:30, thus putting huge strain on resources. There has to be problems in Dublin, look at the need to use stands such as 39A, the two Cityjet flights fvrom the one gate on the C pier and the need to use gate B3X in the morning for European flights due to double parking of EI A320s.

EISHN

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
Reply 44

It's funny, but every random person we start talking to over here, ends up having some kind of tie to Ireland, whether it was there father, or their great grand parents, but it's quite interesting.

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 45):
They still use the old one

Thats funny. The video shows the old green, gold and blue seats in it. And they still play that background music in it as well. Althouhg it took quite some time for it to start working.

the IFE misbehaved on the outbound flight.

The IFE on my flight played up a little as well, and it had to be rebooted once as around 50% of the screens weren't working. Mine was acting up as well. I could never get to the main menu, so I was never able to play any games to pass the time. Also the visual qaulity wasn't as good as my brotheres screen. And, the screen itself was broken a small bit, in that it was quite hard to adjust the angle, and you'd have to push it quite hard to get it in place.

Bx737 Quote
"or a long wait for a free stand after landing"

Happened to us after arriving from SNN. There was a CO 762 on our stand for about 10 minutes. The same thing happened again at LAX too.

[Edited 2007-07-11 19:37:15]

BestWestern

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 47):
Something needs to be done about Dublin movements, it is chaotic. Whether it is inexperience of ATC or an inability of ATC to cope with large numbers of movements

This is 100% linked with this:

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 46):
Surprise, surprise, look who's being a cranky pants today

Ryanair went to the supreme court to stop dublin being slot controlled. It is the largest airport in Europe that is not slot controlled. that cannot control when flights can arrive and depart. Hence congestion that gets worse and worse.

O'leary is like a cranky teenager. He wants everything his way - screw everyone, and everything that gets in his way. He gets up everyones backs. Ryanair needs a new chief executive before the current one manages to completely piss off all the regulators. They are a big company, and need responsible corporate affairs, working in partnership , not a I'll sue you all - every single last one of you ethos. Perhaps if they had a better attitude the EU wouldnt have blocked the merger.

How many significant court cases have ryanair got on at the moment - at least three with the EU that were announced this week alone - that we know of.

you might do a WW and end up in DM's office

Or, do a WW on it, and end up in WW's office - more toys to play with!

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 27):
I'll place a wager that there will be direct DUB - Moscow (or Moscow - DUB) service for summer next year.

Hopefully both!
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos