tonymctigue

RE: Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/07

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 am

Good evening folks. Here's an article from today's Galway Independent regarding the crash in Connemara.

Quoting Galway Independent 11/07/07:

Air accident investigators prioritize Connemara crash
Air accident investigators have prioritised the investigation into the Connemara plane crash, which claimed the life of Loughrea Accountant Paul McNamee and Dublin pilot Matt Masterson last week. Seven other businessmen, all associated with the Clifden Airport Company, were injured when the Cessna plane crashed last Thursday afternoon. The single-engine aircraft landed on its nose at Aerfort na Minna in Indreabhan, Connemara. All passengers on board were returning from a meeting on Inis Meain when the tragedy struck. They had been looking into purchasing the plane. One of the passengers is in a serious condition at University College Hospital Galway (UCHG) , while another has been transferred to St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin. Four men are in a stable condition while another has been discharged from hospital. Chief Accident Investigator, Jurgen Whyte, told the Galway Independent that other investigations will “take a back seat” due to the serious nature of the crash, The cause of the crash won't be known until the investigation is complete and Mr Whyte said they are looking into all aspects, including the weather, to determine what happened to the fatal flight. "Over the coming weeks, we will be interviewing directly involved in the operation of the aircraft, eyewitnesses, and will be looking at any radar pictures from Shannon," he explained. While the weather may not have been a determining factor in the crash, pilots must make decisions based on prevailing conditions. "On a windy day, there is a requirement for an aircraft to land into the wind," said Mr Whyte. "It's not unusual for an aircraft to come in over a field and do an orbit or circle and, depending on the wind direction, the pilot will come into the runway for an 'in to the wind' landing. Wind would not stop a plane from landing," he confirmed. Mr Whyte said that, without radar, it's up to the pilot to align the plane correctly for landing. Meanwhile, the plane wreckage was recovered from the accident site late on Saturday evening and removed to the Department of Defense facility in Gormanstown, County Meath. The truck carrying the wreckage was unloaded in the presence of AAIU inspectors, along with inspectors from the Cessna Aircraft Company, who manufactured the aircraft.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Bestwestern (Reply 49):
O'leary is like a cranky teenager. He wants everything his way - screw everyone, and everything that gets in his way.

Its about time the EU found an excuse to lay down severe sanctions or restrictions on FR . They should monitor them more and look for things to pull them up on. Dublin is getting like a flea market. If FR start to threaten to take business else where then wave them good bye. We need more up market carriers with full service that bring high end business men and revenue into this island more than 1c carriers that bring the stags in. How dare MOL dictate how much T2 costs and try to block it for his own gains .

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 36):
Wow! Just saw that - looked at DUB-ORD with EI in November - €3654.20 in Business class. DUB-SYD in J Class with EY is €3128.09!!!!

Sounds to me like EI need to get their finger out & upgrade their product. In one sense, the entry of EY to the Irish market with such a dramatic impact could be just the thing to kickstart EI into upgrading their product. It shows EI that they won't have DUB to themselves forever so they need to improve their product now so that they can compete against any possible future competitors.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 am

If he has any respect for the travelling public & for the citizens of this country, MOL should withdraw his objection & let the DAA proceed with the new terminal for the good of the country. Just for the record, I'm all in support of FR for the benefits they have brought to this country by introducing competition & for the growth they have brought to some of the countries smaller airports. However this repeated attacking of the "Taj-Mahal Gold Plated" terminal project or whatever the hell he calls it has gone on long enough. Dublin Airport is the airport that serves the capital of this country, & therefore deserves a high quality international gateway that reflects the progress made in this country. So what if the terminal could be built cheaper. Dublin deserves better than a bog standard cheapo terminal like the one in HHN he keeps comparing it to.

Bramble

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 19):
Having been recently promoted to cabin manager I would be concerned at the way N272WAs friend was treated

Don't believe him, he only cares about the power to ruin a perfectly good flight duty for me.......more tea for the cabin manager, slave!!!!!!

n272wa

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting Bramble (Reply 54):
Don't believe him, he only cares about the power to ruin a perfectly good flight duty for me.......more tea for the cabin manager, slave!!!!!!

What is that supposed to mean exactly?

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting Bramble (Reply 54):

Sorry I dont get that ???

rineanna

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:12 am

I think he was just joking that Bx737 is tough to work for.

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 57):
I think he was just joking that Bx737 is tough to work for.

Oh ok caus it went totally over my head LOL....but then again it has been a long day.

Anyone book the 2 cent FR flights ??? I have to admit I booked a good few DUB to ORK flights ..if I dont go then its only 2 cent . I hated doing it though as I really dont want to fly FR all those times but its that or the train and 2 cent is hard to give up. I know its double standards and Im feeling really guilty but its off set by the smile I will get when I land in ORK lol....

al2637

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 51):
f FR start to threaten to take business else where then wave them good bye. We need more up market carriers with full service that bring high end business men and revenue into this island more than 1c carriers that bring the stags in.

You really cannot be serious. Firstly, having more business class seats, won't bring more "business men" as you put it into the country. No one decides they need to goto a meeting in a particular city because carrier X flies there. Business people go where the business is, getting there is pretty much always an afterthought, and in many cases, organized by the companies travel department, not the business person themselves.

FR's model has opened up Ireland, with more point to point direct flights than ever before. This gives the country VASTLY more than a few token flights by ouside carriers.

Some people really can't see the wood from the trees when it comes to FR.

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 59):
You really cannot be serious. Firstly, having more business class seats, won't bring more "business men" as you put it into the country. No one decides they need to goto a meeting in a particular city because carrier X flies there. Business people go where the business is, getting there is pretty much always an afterthought, and in many cases,

It is proven that a country / city with good and reliable air links attract companies. There are already three major UAE companies based in AUH looking to open around the Dublin airport area. Dont know if this was due to our new transport minister or EY but they wouldnt have been looking to DUB without the direct flight and that is a fact. There are plenty of instances where a new route has followed by inward investment and the creation of jobs and trade. Ryan Air is not going to create Irish jobs . They do with the least amount legally allowed. There is of course a place for FR in Dublin but alot of the time they try to run something that does not belong to them ie: Dublin Airport!!! On another note I noticed on alot of FR routes where they dont have competition that they dont have any 2c or in anyway cheap flights. Malta for instance since they pushed KM off the route the fares have doubled.

rineanna

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 53):
However this repeated attacking of the "Taj-Mahal Gold Plated" terminal project or whatever the hell he calls it has gone on long enough. Dublin Airport is the airport that serves the capital of this country, & therefore deserves a high quality international gateway that reflects the progress made in this country. So what if the terminal could be built cheaper. Dublin deserves better than a bog standard cheapo terminal like the one in HHN he keeps comparing it to.

While I do agree that the "Taj Mahal" malarky is a bit wearing at this stage, I couldn't care less if the terminal was as basic as you propose the new HHN one to be as long as it was efficient and served its function. From a PAX point of view, the only things, off hand, I would really care about having in the new terminal are:

a) wide open space rather then narrow, cluttered space
b) Lots of natural light (Like they have at ORK)
c) Plenty of seating
d) Adequate Bathroom facilities
e) An efficient Secuirity area capable of handling peak time crowds

Perks or frills don't really bother me to be honest as long as the basics are in place.

FR's model has opened up Ireland, with more point to point direct flights than ever before

Speaking of which, I'm off to Prestwick, for the second time this summer, tommorrow. I don't think I'll do a TR as I've already covered the airports and FR in my first TR. I'll be coming back via EDI so it will be my first time departing from there, although I have arrived there before.

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 61):

Cork is as I have said many times a great airport and something that Dublin could learn alot from. If they built ORK in the site of DUB but 5 x bigger than it would be a wonderful airport.

Perks or frills don't really bother me to be honest as long as the basics are in place.

You need to have both . With US/CO/DL/AA/EY/LX etc.. you need top notch facilities for those that want them. A seperate area of the terminal could be allocated to basic no frills where lounges etc...would not be present. More self check in machines rather than check in desks. There is no reason why these things cant be under the same roof but using different parts and gates etc....

EI564

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:57 am

c) Plenty of seating

But surely MOL would oppose all of the above since they all require more space (not less)? The bigger the building the more money required to build it.

I've never seen anybody ask MOL what he means by "Taj Mahal". Like, I wouldn't approve of a big pond in the middle of the terminal (even if it was pretty). But a decent transfer facility? A proper US Immigration and Customs facility? Are those things "Taj Mahal" like? The only thing MOL says is that compared to Hahn its a big building. Well so what?

A decent airport is never going to bring a country new businesses on its own. But if a multinational company is trying to decide between 3 or 4 cities to set up a business, then the presence of very good infrastructure, including airports, will play a part in that decision.

Or similarly if an airline that based its product on great customer service was choosing what new airport to fly to, Dublin airport is not going to score well. Sure there may be demand but there will be demand to other cities too. And those other cities may not require the passenger to have a miserable experience in the airport before boarding.

Everything plays a part. Accepting bad standards just because one airline is fine with that is a short-sighted process.

tonymctigue

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting Rineanna,reply=61

:
c) Plenty of seating

I'm sure that MOL would agree with you on item (e) but as for the rest, he would probably see Adequate Bathroom Facilities, Plenty of Seating & Wide Open Spaces all as luxury items that would take up room in the terminal that could be filled with more passengers. As for natural light, he would probably see this as an item that is completely unnecessary. Althought the lack of natural light is not something that makes an airport terminal any less useable, it really helps give an airport that nice modern, uncluttered feel. If you look at any of the newer terminals at the worlds major airports, they all seem to have lots of glazing to allow natural light into the building. When I say that Dublin deserves a decent terminal, these items are my interpretation of what you would find in a better than average airport terminal as well as certain other facilities such as shops, bars & restaurants to pass time waiting for flights or during layovers, decent transfer facilities & a decent US Customs & Boarder Facility.

Toulouse

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:03 pm

How dare MOL dictate how much T2 costs and try to block it for his own gains .

Well said OA260. I really wish somebody would teach this guy, MOL, a lesson. Why can't he just content himself running "his" airline, FR, and leave everyone else alone?

Quoting Bestwestern (Reply 49):
O'leary is like a cranky teenager. He wants everything his way - screw everyone, and everything that gets in his way. He gets up everyones backs. Ryanair needs a new chief executive before the current one manages to completely piss off all the regulators. They are a big company, and need responsible corporate affairs, working in partnership , not a I'll sue you all - every single last one of you ethos. Perhaps if they had a better attitude the EU wouldnt have blocked the merger.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 53):
If he has any respect for the travelling public & for the citizens of this country, MOL should withdraw his objection & let the DAA proceed with the new terminal for the good of the country.

Exactly. But the problem is, MOL clearly doesn't give a damn about the travelling public and citizens of Ireland.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 58):
I know its double standards and Im feeling really guilty

And so you should be feeling guilty! Just close your eyes, block your ears, and imagine you're on LX!

You really cannot be serious. Firstly, having more business class seats, won't bring more "business men" as you put it into the country. No one decides they need to goto a meeting in a particular city because carrier X flies there. Business people go where the business is, getting there is pretty much always an afterthought, and in many cases, organized by the companies travel department, not the business person themselves.

He is very serious. Having more business seats will bring more "business men". Your quote "Business people go where business is, getting there is pretty much always an afterthought", while to a point is true, is not as true as you believe. I can assure you there was uproar when EI did away with its Business class on European routes, comlaints flooded the IDA, and most of these complaints came from foreign companies based in Dublin. Business class does count to many business people, no matter what you want to believe.

FR's model has opened up Ireland, with more point to point direct flights than ever before. This gives the country VASTLY more than a few token flights by ouside carriers.

The one thing I was always give MOL credit with is that he is one hell of a good business man, but I fear as time passes it's gone to his head, he now believes himself above everyone else, and I really feel his attitude will backfire in his face in a major way sooner rather than later. And one thing, the huge number of point to point flight you talk about is true, but when did they do it, only recently and once EI started to expand massively, and very often on competing routes, so the intentionw as not to offer the Irish more routes/service, but to try to squash an airline, i.e. EI. Don't think MOL has done this to benefit the flying public of Ireland. No he's done it to squash another airline which in the long run my friend will only damage consumers if he ever wins in his conquest to take over air travel in Ireland.

I couldn't care less if the terminal was as basic as you propose the new HHN one to be as long as it was efficient and served its function

Rineanna, I agree with you, but remember this is fine for you, a young leisure traveller. But it will not suit the clientelle a capital airport "also" needs to attract. Both have to be satisfied, and by satisfying the upper end of the market (older travellers, business people, firsct class pax, that's going to benefit everyone). And let's not get too excited about T2 either, it looks fine to me, but I doubt it's going to be anything that exceptional, except giving extra and URGENTLY needed space to DUB, and hopfully will be more pleasant than T1.

Same as above.
Long live Aer Lingus!

gkirk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:03 pm

NCL-ORK with Jet2 now on sale for the winter. 4 x weekly operating on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun. Perfect for any Irish fans wanting to watch Sunderland and also an increase from last winter. Could we see this route going daily next summer?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

pilot21

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 pm

EI goes back to Gatwick!!

EI will return to London Gatwick from Oct with up to 4 flights a day, including the earliest departure from Dublin to London.

While it's nice to see EI back at LGW, how many times has this route been started and stopped over the past 10yrs?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0712/aerlingus.html

Schedule is:

DUB - LGW

06.40 - 08.00 EI242
10.50 - 1210 EI244
14.40 - 16.00 EI246
18.50 - 20.10 EI248

LGW - DUB

08.35 - 09.55 EI243
12.45 - 14.05 EI245
16.55 - 18.15 EI247
20.45 - 22.05 EI249

All now bookable on AerLingus.com

Pilot21

Edit to include timetable

[Edited 2007-07-12 09:45:42]
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

planemanofnz

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm

We need more up market carriers with full service that bring high end business men and revenue into this island more than 1c carriers that bring the stags in. How dare MOL dictate how much T2 costs and try to block it for his own gains .

Here here! Completely agree with you. Dublin is becoming more un-attractive by the day because of the mess caused by the lack of space at the Airport. If FR threaten to leave, let them find some other place to go to like Waterford or whatever. I'm sure that they will find that their profit will only go down the drain Big grin

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 67):

EI will return to London Gatwick from Oct with up to 4 flights a day, including the earliest departure from Dublin to London.

Very interesting. I wonder how this will effect EI's relationship with BA seen as BA sort of 'took over' Gatwick after EI left. Now all we need is EI to go back to LCY  Wink

n272wa

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:02 pm

EI back to LGW - Wow, nobody saw that one coming!!
Thought there would be a few more European routes on the agenda 1st of all like KEF, ARN, SOF and LCA.

jwmd123

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:04 pm

While it's nice to see EI back at LGW, how many times has this route been started and stopped over the past 10yrs?

This is good news.

EI taking on FR. Wow what a turn up for the books!!!!

Danny

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 68):
Very interesting. I wonder how this will effect EI's relationship with BA seen as BA sort of 'took over' Gatwick after EI left. Now all we need is EI to go back to LCY

Interesting. Does it mean EI-BA partnership is over or it is just part of the plan? Will BA start their own LHR-DUB service?

n272wa

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 70):
EI taking on FR. Wow what a turn up for the books!!!!

Aye absolutely, taking on both FR and BA...!!!

al2637

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:24 pm

It is proven that a country / city with good and reliable air links attract companies.

I'm not disagreeing, but I am saying the choice of carrier is not important.

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 65):
He is very serious. Having more business seats will bring more "business men". Your quote "Business people go where business is, getting there is pretty much always an afterthought", while to a point is true, is not as true as you believe. I can assure you there was uproar when EI did away with its Business class on European routes, comlaints flooded the IDA, and most of these complaints came from foreign companies based in Dublin. Business class does count to many business people, no matter what you want to believe.

Yes, there was some conctertation, but there always is whenever you change anything EI simply did the math, and realised there wasn't the demand there to support this, so they did away with it. Has Ireland suffered as a result? NO. Would Ireland suffer if Ryanair went away like so many on this board would seem to like? YES.

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 71):
Does it mean EI-BA partnership is over

No BA and EI still codeshare on the DUB to LHR route. I never saw a codeshare on the BA flight with an EI prefix.

EIDAA

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:03 pm

The one thing I was always give MOL credit with is that he is one hell of a good business man

Have to agree with you here! While I don't like the FR tactics, they do work and the airline has been very successful. It's all a matter of preference.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 62):
You need to have both . With US/CO/DL/AA/EY/LX etc.. you need top notch facilities for those that want them. A seperate area of the terminal could be allocated to basic no frills where lounges etc...would not be present. More self check in machines rather than check in desks. There is no reason why these things cant be under the same roof but using different parts and gates etc....

I don't understand MOL's problem with T2 - as far as I'm concerned, Dublin needs the new facility and it needs to be at least remotely decent. FR will not be operating from it anyway, so there shouldn't be an issue. Hasn't the regulator rejected the DAA's request to increase airport charges to help pay for the new facility? If so, how the hell does it impact MOL?

Rineanna, I agree with you, but remember this is fine for you, a young leisure traveller. But it will not suit the clientelle a capital airport "also" needs to attract. Both have to be satisfied, and by satisfying the upper end of the market (older travellers, business people, firsct class pax, that's going to benefit everyone). And let's not get too excited about T2 either, it looks fine to me, but I doubt it's going to be anything that exceptional, except giving extra and URGENTLY needed space to DUB, and hopfully will be more pleasant than T1.

Again, I would agree with Toulouse here. Although the basics you have listed Rineanna are spot on, I don't think it is fair to consider lounges etc. as perks. Although these may not be required for leisure travellers, as a regular business traveller I would class them as an essential item. If I am travelling to the States, the Middle East, Australia... I will want the comfort of a lounge to relax before the trip, catch up on emails and get some work done. Handhelds are good but no match for a laptop. When I am on personal travel, I also use lounges as it makes things a lot easier. The current facilities at Dublin are really not up to standard, so I am really looking forward to the new terminal!

I just took a quick look at the fares available and it's is possible to get out on the inaugural and back on the lunchtime flight for less than €100. I am considering doing some spotting as an excuse to take the flights. Does anyone know if the roof terrace viewing area is still open or is it even worth going to Gatwick anymore?
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

COEI2007

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 46):
was wondering, as I mentioned in a previous post, what would happen next year if EI doesn't - as now seems likely - introduce any new l/h aircraft, but then it occurred to me that the second ORD flight, originating in SNN, may be axed, which would create capacity for a new route like MIA.

The 124/125 will be the only ORD flight for this winter season. I dont think they'll drop the SNN-DUB leg of the flight as apparently EI carries a lot of cargo on ORD-SNN!

Kinda surprised at that! Didnt see LGW coming! I have personally found that LGW can be very expensive to fly to/from with FR, so this is good news!

dstc47

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:13 pm

EIDAA
Roof terrace @ LGW long closed, AFAIK

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 77):
EIDAA

Shame it used to be good in the summer sitting there and watching all the charters.

Danny

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 pm

"250,000 FREE SEAT SALE ACROSS EUROPE TO CELEBRATE

ZILCH, NADA, ZIP, F**K ALL!!!"

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=jul&story=pax-en-110707

Is this new low for FR? F**ck all?

EIDAA

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 77):
EIDAA

Quoting OA260 (Reply 78):
Shame it used to be good in the summer sitting there and watching all the charters.

Thanks for that - it's a real shame, that was a great place to spend a few hours! Are there any other areas around the airport to do some spotting (that don't require a hire car)? If not I might just go visit my parents in Murcia for the long weekend instead!! Wonder what FR fares are like...
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

ei 168

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Did anyone see this http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0711/airlines.html

Will this effect aer lingus baggage charges or have I read it wrong?

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Ei 168 (Reply 81):

I think that when EI or FR advertise the €9.99 etc... it will have to be including all taxes and charges or am I wrong??? So you could start seeing posters with LAX for €335.98 oneway based on X class fares for example.

smokeyrosco

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:56 pm

No it won't, it will effect all compulsory taxes and charges, baggage is now an optional extra.
John Hancock

Toulouse

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 73):
Yes, there was some conctertation, but there always is whenever you change anything EI simply did the math, and realised there wasn't the demand there to support this, so they did away with it.

I can assure you there was more than "some consternation" from within the business world, and it was so much focused on EI but was more an argument "Aer Lingus dominate, now they're doing away with business class, thus we have very limited business class options from DUB"... and this was a very serious complaint brought forward by many foreign, especially, European companies with bases in Dublin. This simply shows that there is indeed a.) a need for quality business class services into/out of DUB and b) an increases in this service as OA260 and some others have agreed with.

And by the way AI2637, while many of us dislike FR, I don't think any of us would like to see FR dissappear, I certainly wouldn't, it serves a very important market (a market which it has also created itself) and this needs to be serviced, now what I would like is to see MOL learn to shut his mouth, stop sueing everyone left right and centre, stop his tasteless advertising and drop his apparent campaign to badmouth all other airlines that compete with him.
Long live Aer Lingus!

ei 168

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 83):
No it won't, it will effect all compulsory taxes and charges, baggage is now an optional extra.

cheers, I wasnt sure.

smokeyrosco

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 84):
and this was a very serious complaint brought forward by many foreign, especially, European companies with bases in Dublin.

This is probably why DUB now gets a decent share of Business Jets (mostly chartered)
John Hancock

dstc47

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Story in the Examiner today with photos concerning an effort to base a new helicopter air ambulance at ORK.
Aircraft being demonstrated seems to be a UK reg Bond E135.

Media report makes it sound as if it is all almost agreed, but the money raising plans seem very, very optimistic to me, relying on EU, State and voluntary funding. Idea is that there would be more of them later in the west, perhaps Knock.

n272wa

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 pm

One week following the crash of the Cessna in Galway, tragedy strikes irish skies once more.

www.breakingnews.ie
One person seriously injured in Clare helicopter crash
12/07/2007 - 13:52:57

At least one person has been seriously injured in a helicopter crash in Co Clare this afternoon.

The helicopter went down just before 1pm while inspecting power lines in the Ballynacally area.

Two people were on board, at least one of whom has suffered serious injuries.

BestWestern

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 am

It will affect Ryanair, as you have to opt out of the zero bags - priority checkin malarkie and insurance.

In future, anything that you have to opt out of must be included in the headline price.

Quoting Danny (Reply 79):
ZILCH, NADA, ZIP

Every FR flight in the timeframe from SNN to MAD is available for ZILCH, NADA, ZIP....

Must be because there are f**k all passengers wanting to fly to Shannon from Madrid.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:09 am

Good to hear EI going back to LGW; certainly didn't see that coming; is this the first time they have gone into a market head to head with FR; certainly first time I can remember in a long time. I can see FR going out of its way to make life unpleasant for them.

One thing I did notice was that among the LGW flight numbers were EI 244/245 - currently used for DUB-JER-DUB. Hope that's not a hint for next year - of course they can always find a different number! Our service is only seasonal anyway, but would love to see someone fly JER-DUB over the Winter. Blue Islands is said to be looking at DUB, but not sure I fancy a Jetstream 32 in bad winter weather!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:19 am

Irish Helicopters has confirmed that the heli belonged to it.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/104-01.html

IH has one Squirrel and two BO.105s.

BestWestern

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:23 am

FR have just lost their court case in France regarding employment of french staff in france under irish law..

Oh, and what a surpise - they intend to object to the european union - those anti ryanair people.

“We are going to take further legal action against the decision of the Conseil d’Etat on the basis that it failed to refer the case to the European Court and is counter to European law. We have not been complying with it and we have told the French authorities that we think it is unlawful.

Just how many court cases do FR have ongoing at the moment?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

EISHN

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 am

It's great to see EI going back to LGW. Godd for conections, and O&D, and will now give them somewhere between 15-17 flights a day to London (between 11-13 flights a day to LHR depending on the season, and four to LGW).
I presume they'll be using the A320 for the flights? Prehaps they should use the A321 from time to time just to keep cheap seats in the maket against FR.

Does anyone know if EI-LAX/EWR have the crew rests installed or whether they will install them?
If there are no plans, then I presume they'll be keeping them off the LAX and SFO routes, as DUO and DAA both have the crew rests, because of the length of the flight. In that case, they'll probally be kept mostly to MCO, DXB, and maybe just float in and around the network.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 92):
FR have just lost their court case in France regarding employment of french staff in france under irish law..

Oh, and what a surpise - they intend to object to the european union - those anti ryanair people.

Haha .... youd think they would give up after loosing . Does anyone know how many court cases they have taken and how many have they lost ???

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 79):
Is this new low for FR? F**ck all?

I saw this on the FR website at work during lunchtime & was dying to post a smart comment about it but A.net is still firewalled at work. I really do believe that this is as low as FR have gone to date but I wouldn't dare say that it would be impossible for them to go any lower. It's like watching Southpark. You see an episode that is far more disgusting & inappropriate than any episode you've seen previously & say to yourself "This is as low as they can get" but you can be certain that in a couple of weeks time you will find another episode that steeps even lower.

Great to see EI initialising the competition with FR on the DUB-LGW route. Normally EI starts the route & FR immediately start the same route in order to compete with EI. Great to see EI showing some initiative.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:29 am

Just saw this on RTE.ie

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0712/globespan.html

GSM have issued an apology to the stranded NOC passengers.

smokeyrosco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 96):

Looks like they realised that they must do damage control if they want to keep the route going.

One EI to LGW, I wonder if thats a sign of a future reduction to LHR (from DUB at least)?
John Hancock

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 96):

What about issuing EUR 100 a day to each passenger for each day delayed and a full refund of the ticket they paid!!!! People lost wages due to the mess they caused.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 98):
What about issuing EUR 100 a day to each passenger for each day delayed and a full refund of the ticket they paid!!!! People lost wages due to the mess they caused.

There was no mention of that. Does GSM have to compensate the PAX by law under EU rules or does that only to PAX originating in Europe?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos