aerarann

RE: Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 am

RE: EI DUB-LGW

I presume FR are already planning an attack on EI, probably in the form of increased capacity DUB-LGW or may target EI's LHR schedule from ORK & SNN by launching new services to LGW/LTN/STN.

Easyjet didnt get away with their stunt, and i doubt MOL and FR will let EI get away with this stunt.

FR will not just lie down .... Time will tell !!!

ALSO.....

Good New RE advert .... Very Appropriate

Big version: Width: 255 Height: 377 File size: 283kb
RE SUMMER SALE

[Edited 2007-07-12 22:16:27]

widebody

RE: Cleared And Rolling, Irish Aviation Thread 31/07

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:27 am

MOL runs a business, and a huge factor for his profitability is the efficiency of the airports through which they pass. He's dead right to be taking on the DAA if he has concerns, given his business is the biggest user of the airport. ORK is a fine airport, but 180 million to build it?! That's a monumental rip off by any standards.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 99):
There was no mention of that. Does GSM have to compensate the PAX by law under EU rules or does that only to PAX originating in Europe?

From my understanding it applies to any carrier operating to and from an EU state regardless of nationality of airline.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air_po...assenger_rights/information_en.htm

Prime Time RTE1 now guys !!! All about the delays in Dublin

[Edited 2007-07-12 22:42:19]

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 100):
Good New RE advert .... Very Appropriate

Well done RE. Certainly is effective.

On the helicopter crash in Co. Clare, apparently one person wall killed & the pilot escaped without serious injury.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0712/clare.html
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

jwmd123

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 am

Guys

Was looking on EI.com about booking DXB for next May 08 however, booking system says flights stop on 28/03/2008.

Is it that they have not loaded in a new schedule of is it what we fear and they are pulling the route??????

[Edited 2007-07-12 22:51:13]

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 104):
booking system says flights stop on 28/03/2008.

Is it that they have not loaded in a new schedule of is it what we fear and they are pulling the route??????

Well schedules go from end October to end March (Wintertime) and End March to end October ( Summer time) as you probably know but who knows for sure . It may be that they just are not loaded in but its a bit weird as in my system we have EI flights loaded for everywhere else up to May 2008.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 104):
Was looking on EI.com about booking DXB for next May 08 however, booking system says flights stop on 28/03/2008.

Doesn't look good does it does it. I tried selecting other routes at random & all of them seem to be bookable after 28th of May. It looks to me that it is a bit of both. I'd say they are going to watch & see how it pans out competing with EY offering DUB-AUH with only 45 min connections onto Dubai. I reckon they are not taking bookings after 28th of May in case they loose customers to EY & they decide to pull the route in favour of more US destinations.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:15 am

Very interesting piece on PrimeTime. It was about Air Passengers rights and airlines trying to get out of paying it as alot of passengers do not know what they are entitled to when they have delayed or cancelled flights. I knew about the DBC , have actually taken it myself sometimes. I always include a copy of the APR leaflet in all tickets I issue. This really needs to be enforced.

pelican22

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:31 am

Booked a few of the FR 1c flights, great ! ,but a few days before the sale I booked flights to LTN for a friend of mine ,when it came to paying I noticed that FR has increased their CC charge by € 0.50c per sector to € 3.00 ,so if the are carrying around 30 Million pax p a ,that amounts to nice little earner , maybe about an extra € 12-15 million

bx737

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:31 am

I have been in contact with a relative from Hamilton who will be flying with GSM between Hamilton and Dub and he told me that word is out in Hamilton that GSM are a shambles with lengthy delays, lots of tech problems including two returns with the same aircraft in a two week period, the locals in Hamilton are not holding much hope for them.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 109):
I have been in contact with a relative from Hamilton who will be flying with GSM between Hamilton and Dub and he told me that word is out in Hamilton that GSM are a shambles with lengthy delays, lots of tech problems including two returns with the same aircraft in a two week period, the locals in Hamilton are not holding much hope for them.

I think alot of people arnt holding up too much hope. I would not fly them even if it was free. A collegue of mine actually went on a trip to Canada with them and said they were just ok. She did say that the crew were very nice though. I havnt been selling them even though im bombarded with emails nearly everyday telling me how they have slashed prices.

shamrock350

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:59 am

Great to see EI back at LGW! I missed being able to use it because no matter how much I love LHR as my "home" airport, it's terrible during the summer especially with all the security issues.

LGW is on the EI route map and looks more like STN but I have an old Cara magazine somewhere and they did the same, put LGW above LHR for some reason.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 am

Anyone else have problem posting on here for the last hour??? I saw breaking news on the BBC that there is an ''on going incident'' at BHX but no further info .

shamrock350

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 112):
Anyone else have problem posting on here for the last hour???

I had trouble, i'm glad we have the save feature now. I noticed nobody had posted on anything for the past hour so I assume it was site wide problem.

I saw breaking news on the BBC that there is an ''on going incident'' at BHX but no further info .

Just saw your thread and turned BBC 24 on, they were talking about the Queen throwing a strop again so still waiting to find out what happened.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 113):
Just saw your thread and turned BBC 24 on, they were talking about the Queen throwing a strop again so still waiting to find out what happened.

Yeah they mentioned it twice and said they would keep updated but its kinda gone quiet now. BBC said that BHX airport were refusing to say anything and that the police were in charge. Very mysterious. Only thing is if police have asked BBC for a news blackout for a few hours. Maybe someone will know something and post in my thread.

The RE summer sale is a bit of a con . I cant find any flights for Eur29 each way incl taxes!!!

EI564

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Widebody (Reply 101):
MOL runs a business, and a huge factor for his profitability is the efficiency of the airports through which they pass. He's dead right to be taking on the DAA if he has concerns, given his business is the biggest user of the airport. ORK is a fine airport, but 180 million to build it?! That's a monumental rip off by any standards.

I agree that MOL can only look after his company's interests but doesn't it seem that he takes offense at a huge amount of stuff? I really do wonder does he actually think he can win all these cases or is he just doing it to cause hassle for people.

€180m is certainly a lot of money but you can't do anything cheaply in Ireland anymore. If Cork had been happy with a big shed, then there would have been no problem but instead a proper facility was required (and I can't argue with that either). And in the newspapers it said that that €180m covered a new car park/roads etc. It was a bigger project than just a terminal building. But it seems to be in Ryanair's interest to deride it. And people believe them.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 106):
Doesn't look good does it does it. I tried selecting other routes at random & all of them seem to be bookable after 28th of May. It looks to me that it is a bit of both. I'd say they are going to watch & see how it pans out competing with EY offering DUB-AUH with only 45 min connections onto Dubai. I reckon they are not taking bookings after 28th of May in case they loose customers to EY & they decide to pull the route in favour of more US destinations.

If EI were to pull out, I would expect EK, finally, to move in; it would probably make more sense for EI to use acft to increase US services; if they had that acft (4 flights a week) and the aircraft currently doing the second ORD, that's 11 extra weekly services; enough for a new daily route and to add frequencies to some of the newly introduced routes, such as IAD and SFO.

The worrying thing is, what does this say about EI's eastbound strategy; it seems that the Asian routes like BKK and others, are just referred to, but are actually being moved further and further out. I realise that there is a question of finite resources and how best to use them, but really, if EK moves in on the DUB-DXB route, that would make it a lot more difficult for EI to open up new long haul routes eastbound. And if EK doesn't move in, maybe QR would open a DUB route.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 103):
On the helicopter crash in Co. Clare, apparently one person wall killed & the pilot escaped without serious injury.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0712/cla....html

More on this from Irish Times; it was an Aerospatiale 350, the Squirrel/Ecureil ... which makes it EI-IHL. Built in 1987 and with IH since 2004.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 109):

No surprises there. They have only been serving Ireland since May & already they have completely lost the confidence of the public. Surely there are charter airlines that would be willing to operate some of their flights while they are waiting on the delivery of their new L/H aircraft. They would probably loose their profit margin in doing so but after watching last night's Prime Time episode about the EU regs & how airlines are obliged to compensate passengers for long delays, it must be costing them a fortune paying out compensation to stranded passengers not to mention the longer term damage the current situation is doing to their reputation. There will probably be a surge in compensation claims made by the NOC passengers because you can be sure that some of them saw last night's program. Even Aeroflot were more reliable operating out of SNN during the 1980's & early 1990's than GSM are now & people would put up with more abuse back then than they would now. For all the slagging that FR gets on this Thread, at least they get you there & on time.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Anyone else have problem posting on here for the last hour??? I saw breaking news on the BBC that there is an ''on going incident'' at BHX but no further info .

Yes. I had trouble poting last night.

lmml 14/32

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 pm

What's the word about an FR base in MLA?

n272wa

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 114):
The RE summer sale is a bit of a con . I cant find any flights for Eur29 each way incl taxes!!!

No hassle for me, I have booked flights to and from Carrickfinn for 25 Euro including tax, so RE definitely do what they say!
There are also dates to Kerry and Sligo for the same fare, inclusive of tax.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 116):
If EI were to pull out, I would expect EK, finally, to move in

Do you still think EK would be interested now EY are on the route?? I wonder if we can sustain two Middle East carriers from Dublin. Also I dont think EK would get the same support from the trade. EY seems to have captured the hearts and minds of people. Mind you saying that I had a mate in yesterday looking for flights and he said ''what about that new airline Emirates via Abu....thingy '' LOL......

Quoting N272WA (Reply 121):
I have booked flights to and from Carrickfinn for 25 Euro including tax

Nothing to Cork  Angry ( For the dates I wanted and I was flexible 3 days either side).

n272wa

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 122):
he said ''what about that new airline Emirates via Abu....thingy ''

Ha ha - brilliant! Love it  Smile

On a similar note, a mate of mine went to Australia last year with GF via Bahrain.
Trying to get as much info out of her as possible, she was adamant that she flew direct from Dublin to BALI (Not Bahrain)...
I just nodded in agreement - A-ha.... I see.... Bali.... how interesting.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting LMML 14/32 (Reply 120):
What's the word about an FR base in MLA?

Didnt hear anything at all but then again it will probably be more of a news story in Malta than here so you will see it first.

Quoting N272WA (Reply 123):
I just nodded in agreement - A-ha.... I see.... Bali.... how interesting.

Yes its amazing the things I hear. Nothing surprises me anymore. Like the two old ladies who were in with me and I asked them if they had their own travel insurance. ''yes we have the HIV multi trip'' (VHI ) lol.....I had to bite my lip and try not to burst out laughing. Or the woman going to DXB ''I dont have to wear those sheet yokes do i??'' Classic just classic. Then there was the guy who wanted to do a trip a day trip to the holyland from Lanzarote !! I think he got it confused with Lemesos(Limassol). You couldnt write them if you tried  Big grin

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm

Airline may stop winter NY service

By Stephen Rogers
THE airline that left 500 passengers stranded in three airports on both sides of the Atlantic for five days, after lightning struck one of its aircraft, may stop flights to New York during the winter.

Flyglobespan met with officials from Knock Airport yesterday to discuss what had happened to the flights on June 28 to cause such havoc.

It also discussed the future of flights between the US and Knock after Liverpool Airport, where the flights through Knock originate from, said it was no longer going to offer flights during the winter.

Afterwards neither side would say whether flights would be continued after October 31.
Tom Dalrymple, of Flyglobespan, said the problems started when the flight from JFK to Knock could not take off because of a warning light on the engine management system. That had been caused by the plane being struck by lightning when on the ground in New York.

He said the airline could have sent a rescue aircraft from Britain, but crew rest time meant that it would not have taken off any earlier than the scheduled repaired aircraft.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Do you still think EK would be interested now EY are on the route?? I wonder if we can sustain two Middle East carriers from Dublin. Also I dont think EK would get the same support from the trade

I agree that it's doubtful that DUB can support two ME airlines, BUT we're not just talking about the ME. For a start, much as I admire and respect EY and am glad to see them fly to DUB, Dubai will always trump AUH and as far as connections are concerned, EK beats EY hands down in terms of the number of cities it can feed to/from. I think that if EK came in, EY would probably stay, but ultimately, EK would win. Maybe EK have other destinations they want to serve, BUT on the other hand, they know they had their chance before and blew it; if they don't come in, maybe QR will instead and they are snapping much closer to EK's heels than EY.

I would regret seeing EI leaving DXB, because - as I mentioned above - once EK/QR get a foothold on flights to Asia (albeit via DXB), it will make things a lot harder for EI, if/when they decide to do so. But, as investors will point out, the US is where EI will get the biggest bang for its buck.

Also, I was wondering, if EK or QR came in, might they be able to fly DUB- US destinations; it occurred to me that a DXB-DUB-MIA route (for example) might be workable. Alternatively, since cargo traffic to DXB was/is quite healthy, maybe EK's cargo subsidiary might consider a route as well as/instead of the pax operation. We certainly need a healthy injection of freight traffic in DUB.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 126):
Also, I was wondering, if EK or QR came in, might they be able to fly DUB- US destinations; it occurred to me that a DXB-DUB-MIA route (for example) might be workable

Yes I wonder why no one has done it before. Apart from the half hearted SU/PK/RJ flights that came into SNN. If EK did do DXB-DUB-MIA some carriers may feel the pinch who already to the DUB to USA routes.

COEI2007

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:15 am

Well, hopefully EI isnt pulling off DXB.

DXB isnt bookable after March 31, but either is MCO. I dont think they're planning on pulling off MCO before they've even started. Perhaps another a/c will be arriving with another route or two to follow, and they're waiting to see how they can fit in MCO and DXB to the schedule? Who knows?

All I want is that damn EK alliance to be up and running, so EI has some hope of fighting EY!

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:42 am

God the weather is really taking its toll . I have people wanting to just pay anything and get to the sun for a few weeks. Theres hardly anything left at a decent price and one guy booked to fly from Cork even though he lives up North!!! Its a depressing summer here in ireland.

tonymctigue

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:09 am

Do you still think EK would be interested now EY are on the route?? I wonder if we can sustain two Middle East carriers from Dublin. Also I dont think EK would get the same support from the trade. EY seems to have captured the hearts and minds of people.

EY have certainly captured the public's interest. We have heard more adertising for EY's AUH than we've heard about EI's three new US destinations.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 125):
He said the airline could have sent a rescue aircraft from Britain, but crew rest time meant that it would not have taken off any earlier than the scheduled repaired aircraft.

I see GSM are making excuses again. First it was the terrorist attacks. Now it's crew rest times. What's next, the Devil told us us do it or someting ridiculous like that.

BrianDromey

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:55 am

Also I dont think EK would get the same support from the trade. EY seems to have captured the hearts and minds of people. Mind you saying that I had a mate in yesterday looking for flights and he said ''what about that new airline Emirates via Abu....thingy '' LOL......

I think there is a very god reaseon why this is the case. GF left the trade up the creek without a paddle, all they offered was a refund, they refused to reprotect people on other service. EY came in, offered good fares and good service. A travel agent in Cork today said "they really saved our bacon". EY even pushed the launch forward, IIRC???

Brian.

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 130):
I see GSM are making excuses again. First it was the terrorist attacks. Now it's crew rest times. What's next, the Devil told us us do it or someting ridiculous like that.

LOL.....but seriously I have very seldom felt that I couldnt sell a product but GSM just worries me .

COEI2007

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 132):
Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 130):

LOL.....but seriously I have very seldom felt that I couldnt sell a product but GSM just worries me .

I'd like to try GSM! Maybe i'll take GSM to YHM, then use WestJet to fly to MCO!!! Could be a fun way of travelling to Florida, rather than taking my normal route via EWR with CO, or using EI!!! I think it would make one heck of a TR!

tonymctigue

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 133):
I'd like to try GSM! Maybe i'll take GSM to YHM, then use WestJet to fly to MCO!!! Could be a fun way of travelling to Florida, rather than taking my normal route via EWR with CO, or using EI!!! I think it would make one heck of a TR!

Sure one of us regulars on the Irish Thread is bound to chance GSM sometime & whoever it is we would all greatly appreciate a TR so we can all get a good first hand account of what they are like rather than relying on second hand information from the media.

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 133):
I'd like to try GSM! Maybe i'll take GSM to YHM,

Just make sure your not rostered to do any flights for at least a week after your due to get back  Big grin

f1eddie

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 am

Has anyone seen the arabian nights advert EY is doing in conjunction with the Irish times. You win a 5 star holiday with them apparently.Must check it out on the web. Also has anyone noticed all the DAA adverts all over the Dublin busses? Nothing new to add anyway. Just came in on what looks like a crapfilm called no where to land. So far a bomb has been planted on a 747... OHH cant wait for the rest of it...
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

al2637

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 128):
All I want is that damn EK alliance to be up and running, so EI has some hope of fighting EY!

If you were in charge of EK, why with you codeshare or interline with EI?

Also, with the amount of money EY are spending on the DUB route, you'd have to wonder what their ROI is (with v cheap fares too it seems).

MYT321

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:50 am

First post in the Irish thread, but big FR fan. Did LBA-DUB and back in a day last month...total cost for myself and Mrs MYT321 4p (four english pence). And it was my birthday, what more can a av.nut wish for ? Got EI-DCF both ways, full going out, about 75% return, no complaints at all. Tons of pics but not A.net quality.
"The A380 is coming to MAN"

BestWestern

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:08 pm

ORK is a fine airport, but %u20AC180 million to build it?! That's a monumental rip off by any standards.

And you know how much it costs to build an international airport? Just look at the depth of information on the aviation regulator website on capex and landing fees. They dont just make these figures up. At €3,500 a sqm, DUB isnt being planned as a Taj Mahal, but an IATA C standard airport. We should be complaining that IATA C isnt good enough quality. I dont want a barna building as our capital city airport.

Quoting EI564 (Reply 115):
But it seems to be in Ryanair's interest to deride it. And people believe them.

Perhaps a case of the boy who cried wolf.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 125):

Lame Lame excuse - what about the crew that were already in JFK? Why couldnt they operate the flight back... Perhaps because GSM have a mixed fleet with no commonality?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 127):
Apart from the half hearted SU

SU had a huge SNN operation at one stage.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 136):
no where to land

Was it filmed at DUB ...LOL....  duck 

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 139):

Yes from memory A310 SNN - MIA B767 SNN-ORD B767 SNN-IAD IL96 SNN-HAV and cant remember A/C type but SNN-MEX !!! I flew on a A310 SNN to SVO then onwards to DEL years back. They had J class fares for IEP 700!!!! Was brilliant trip.

widebody

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:04 pm

ORK is a fine airport, but %u20AC180 million to build it?! That's a monumental rip off by any standards.

And you know how much it costs to build an international airport? Just look at the depth of information on the aviation regulator website on capex and landing fees. They dont just make these figures up. At ?3,500 a sqm, DUB isnt being planned as a Taj Mahal, but an IATA C standard airport. We should be complaining that IATA C isnt good enough quality. I dont want a barna building as our capital city airport.

Of course I don't, but basic project comparisons all lead to the same conclusion. Apart from the examples MOL has quoted, pick any other airport project. Toulouse for example - Hall D, 85m euros for a terminal capable of handling 8.5m passengers with 40,000 sqm of space. Cork - 180m euros for a terminal capable handling 3m passengers (up to 5m at a push) with 28,000 sqm of space. Toulouse Hall D will be able to handle twice the volume for the prices above. Granted Cork got a carpark, but Toulouse is currently building a 4200-space carpark for an additional 40m euros, Cork's can take 600, so the carpark cost wasn't that substantial.

I've travelled through the new Cork airport well over 100 times since it has opened, however as far as I'm personally concerned, the same level of efficiency, passenger throughput AND comfort could have been achieved for 30-50% of the cost. You could bleat on about labour costs, material cost etc, but that's why we sub-contract. The amount of wasted space in the new terminal is ridiculous.

shamrock350

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:45 pm

I cant wait to see EI in LGW again, it looks like it will be the start of a new fares war between EI and FR. There is a lot of fighting talk coming from both airlines especially Aer Lingus who usually stay quiet. After the EC decision Ryanair predicted the demise of Aer Lingus but Aer Lingus said they were ready for whatever competition Ryanair might bring. Ryanair declined to comment on the new Aer Lingus route but did say, "All I can tell you is that we don't benchmark ourselves against high-cost usually late airlines"

Quoting MYT321 (Reply 138):
First post in the Irish thread, but big FR fan.

Not many FR fans around here but welcome to airliners.net and the Irish threads   

Just to add, FR increase DUB services at BHX. FR Increases At BHX (by Revo Jul 14 2007 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2007-07-14 13:47:24]

OA260

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting MYT321 (Reply 138):
First post in the Irish thread, but big FR fan. Did LBA-DUB and back in a day last month...total cost for myself and Mrs MYT321 4p

Welcome to the Irish Zone ....glad you enjoyed your flights , for 4 Pence you couldnt go wrong. You should do a TR , the pics dont have to be professional as long as they are half decent.

Cheers

OA260

tonymctigue

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 140):

Yes from memory A310 SNN - MIA B767 SNN-ORD B767 SNN-IAD IL96 SNN-HAV and cant remember A/C type but SNN-MEX !!! I flew on a A310 SNN to SVO then onwards to DEL years back. They had J class fares for IEP 700!!!! Was brilliant trip.

God SU really did have a huge operation at SNN. They were the biggest operator at SNN one time. I always remember seeing loads of SU planes parked at SNN when I was a child whenever we were going to BOS and what a selection of planes they had. A aviation enthuisasts dream. SU even were the first ever sponsor of the Clare Hurling Team! I would love to get my hands on one of those jersy's.

EI564

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Widebody (Reply 141):
Granted Cork got a carpark, but Toulouse is currently building a 4200-space carpark for an additional 40m euros, Cork's can take 600, so the carpark cost wasn't that substantial.

But wasn't the Cork car park a multi-story short term car park, while I presume the Toulouse one was a typical surface car park? They are radically different structures if so and you can't compare them.

I've a strange feeling I read that the actual terminal in Cork cost €100m, with the other €80m been used for other work they did as part of the upgrade. But could be wrong.

And also, Toulouse probably doesn't need a good airport as much as Cork did. It'll have its rail links as a good alternative to flying. Cork doesn't.

widebody

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting EI564 (Reply 145):
But wasn't the Cork car park a multi-story short term car park, while I presume the Toulouse one was a typical surface car park? They are radically different structures if so and you can't compare them.

No, the new Toulouse car park is also multi-storey. Keep in mind I'm only using Toulouse as an example.

Quoting EI564 (Reply 145):
And also, Toulouse probably doesn't need a good airport as much as Cork did. It'll have its rail links as a good alternative to flying. Cork doesn't.

Regardless of other transport links, it all comes down does to passenger traffic through the airport. Good rail links or not only increase or decrease the traffic. Airports are built for a purpose, and Cork was built to handle 3m passengers. While Cork is a fine looking airport, the final cost was bordering on the ridiculous.

COEI2007

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 137):
If you were in charge of EK, why with you codeshare or interline with EI?

So that EK can have passengers fed to their DXB hub, and onwards to Australia etc, without having to take the risk of starting up their own DXB-DUB. Also, EK may be interested in feeding pax DXB-DUB-US.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 147):
So that EK can have passengers fed to their DXB hub, and onwards to Australia etc, without having to take the risk of starting up their own DXB-DUB. Also, EK may be interested in feeding pax DXB-DUB-US.

EI has been on that route for a while and seems, based on the lack of marketing, to be doing as little as possible. You've seen how much EY does on the marketing front - much more, as far as I can see, than EI has ever done. We know that there is a considerable market for Ireland/Asia routes and that market has to be developed and grown. If I were EK, I would say that EI is a weak link and the only way we're going to get a foothold in that market is to send our own aircraft in and market aggressively.

As for the US, I think EK has the aircraft it needs to do that without EI's help; it has the 777LR and will soon operate to IAH and it already flies a few times a day to JFK. LAX is regularly discussed. I am disappointed that DXB has been a less than stellar success for EI, because DM has regularly spoken about developing a hub at DUB for Asia/ME to US flights. I don't know where it's falling down, but I've always suspected that the airline's plan has been to operate its own long haul flights to Asia (which seems to be slipping further and further down the priority list) and a crucial part of that was keeping EK out. The irony of its failure to work with EK and develop an effective hub at DXB is that EK is likely to come to DUB and do the job properly. And if EK doesn't, QR will.

PenPusher

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 140):

Lads !

Do you not remember further back all those IL-62's and IL-86's that Aeroflot operated through Shannon! And every now and then IL-76's.....

PP