lincoln
Topic Author

NW (New) FA Uniforms?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:43 pm

As part of a project in the office I've been doing a fair amount of CLE-DTW-PLN-DTW-CLE; most of the time the CLE-DTW/DTW-CLE has been on a DC-9.

Earlier this week I was on a 319...not only did the crew seem more polished as far as PA announcments went but I noticed they looked really sharp -- well fitting business suit-like with red accents; the purser (or whatever NW calls them) was wearing an entirely red...eh, whatever it's called. Really looked crisp and professional

The flight back (on a DC-9) by contrast, the uniforms seemed to be illfitting, poorly mantained, and old (And the way I remember the FAs looking from my other flights).

So...is NW rolling out new uniforms for their FAs? Or are different uniforms used depending on fleet type?

Lincoln
(And I finally passed through DTW without hearing a NW CSR insult/belittle a passenger. Good job NW!)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

LH417AF025

RE: NW (New) FA Uniforms?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39 pm

im pretty sure that most airlines dont change uniforms based on aircraft type. The only time i have heard anything like that was with concorde. correct me if im wrong.

FWAERJ

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:41 am

Yes, NW is planning on rolling out new FA uniforms soon (rumor has it that the famous designer Jean-Paul Gaultier may have designed them). They might have been testing them on your flight in the A319, for all I know. It's not uncommon for airlines to do pre-launch testing like that, mainly to gauge FA and passenger feedback, and for "real-world" testing. The full launch of the new uniforms will be in February 2008, shortly before the 787 Dreamliner enters service with NW.

But, for now, NW's uniforms are the old, worn-out 1998 ones that the FAs joke about as being "designed by Wal-Mart" (and I hate them, too). Even the 1992 "made by Walt Disney Imagineering" (no joke!) ones looked much better, despite them being of the same design.

[Edited 2007-07-13 17:48:13]

[Edited 2007-07-13 17:50:36]
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

lincoln
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 2):
But, for now, NW's uniforms are the old, worn-out 1998 ones that the FAs joke about as being "designed by Wal-Mart"

No kidding, I've seen stuff from Wal-Mart that looks better!

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 2):
Yes, NW is planning on rolling out new FA uniforms soon (rumor has it that the famous designer Jean-Paul Gaultier may have designed them). They might have been testing them on your flight in the A319, for all I know.

If that's the case, sweet. They really did look fairly nice and stylish while staying in the "professional" category...
Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

NWADTWFA

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:35 am

New uniforms are coming for all flight attendants and CSA/QSA. The date that we will be in the new unifrom is some time around October 2008 (subject to change).

There will be a test phase for the uniforms that has not been set in stone.

The new uniforms will be unveiled sometime this fall.

Cheers,

NWADTWFA

NWBOS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:01 am

We've been told by VP's in a station visit that the CSA uniform will include a periwinkle shirt (yes, periwinkle), and charcoal grey suit. Apparently they will be field testing the uniform for wearability and durability starting this fall in select locations. I know for a fact that the golf shirts will be going away. Even though I actually agree that they are unprofessional, I hope that they are replaced by a similarly comfortable type of option (as opposed the female "priest-collar" shirts) such as an oxford shirt which could be worn unbuttoned.

RandyWaldron

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting NWBOS (Reply 5):
periwinkle shirt (yes, periwinkle), and charcoal grey suit.

Knowing Northwest, they're probably the Delta leftovers from last year when they switched it up.

The Flight Attendant uniform certainly deserves a makeover. When I was a Northwest Airlines Flight Attendant, the Disney-made uniforms and serving garments were the best. In fact, the double breasted jacket was killer - unfortunately, cheap management decisions made the quality of the uniforms decline. For what it's worth, those trousers were horrible to wear on a hot day in Minneapolis.
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

HnlBoi

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting NWBOS (Reply 5):

I have to agree with you about the polo shirts, and how unprofessional it can be. That also goes for the short pants. However we are very fortunate that being in the HNL station we have a somehwat special uniform, in which the ladies, and men can wear 2 different style Hawaiian Print Aloha Shirts. These tops can be worn with the short blue pants, or blk long pants. Pretty much everyone wears the Aloha/Hawaiian print shirt. And a handful wear the acutal 1 piece suits. Some of the HNL agents wear the white polo shirt either with the blk long pants or blue short pants. However though white tennis shoes can only be worn with the blue short pants, and not the black long pants.

boeing743

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 am

I has been notice that a lot of airlines has been upgrade the uniforms. It is about time that all of them upgrade clothes to make it more of modern than past style. I heard that DL style is very good and very well like by crews. I am wonder if WN will upgrade their uniforms or keep the same one they has it for long time?

tsaord

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:08 am

Delta just set off a trend lol J/K

But I seriously hope every F/A uniform will NOT have red in them. Can we get something different?? Instead of the blue or red? Other colors can be used and still be professional.

But Delta's are top notch.

But the problem is like I see at ORD, some F/A do not care how they leave their house. People make the clothes look good.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

nwa757boy

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:17 am

As posted earlier the new uniforms will be coming out around the same time the 787 enters service with NW. Rumor is it will be a charcoal gray as a main color. Also, they will be able to be washed in a washing machine and not required to be dry cleaned.

Maybe the crew on your Airbus trip were all new hires, with fresh new uniforms

lincoln
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 9):
But I seriously hope every F/A uniform will NOT have red in them. Can we get something different?? Instead of the blue or red? Other colors can be used and still be professional.

Ther were two uniforms being worn by the FAs on my flight --

The purser/lead/ISM/whatever NW calls them was wearing an entirely red "robe"
The other FAs were wearing something (I think jackets) with lapels; behind the lapels there were red accents.

Knowing next to nothing about clothing, unfourtinately, that's just about the best description you'll get out of me-- I wish I had taken a picture.

And Red is NW's _only_ color, after all...  Smile

Quoting NWA757boy (Reply 10):
Also, they will be able to be washed in a washing machine and not required to be dry cleaned.

These certainly didn't look washing-machine friendly.

Quoting NWA757boy (Reply 10):
Maybe the crew on your Airbus trip were all new hires, with fresh new uniforms

This is possible especially since what I saw doesn't jive with the descriptions of the new uniform posted here; they seemed far more confident than other NW flights where I've had a bunch of new hires -- and none of them looked particularly young (for reference it was NW 1745 on 10JUL07)

September11

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:27 am

Pictures, pictures, pictures anyone?

Everytime I think of red uniforms, it's Northwest. Easy to spot them wandering inside airports.
Airliners.net of the Future

Alitalia744

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:30 am

is this what you saw?

(taken from uniformfreak.com)

Some see lines, others see between the lines.

lincoln
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 13):
is this what you saw?

Very similar, yes.

I take it that these are not new but instead simply the first time I've seen them in good condition?  embarrassed  I am embarrassed.

Though that leads to the question if this is the current uniform, then what have I seen the FAs wearing on every other nw flight?

Looking at uniformfreak.com, though, (cool site--never heard of it before) the purser was not wearing the red uniform pictured as the "current" uniform.

Lincoln

RandyWaldron

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 14):
Though that leads to the question if this is the current uniform, then what have I seen the FAs wearing on every other nw flight?

Something they weren't supposed to. I was a Flight Attendant Manager in Detroit for a while - those gals wore whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. To be quite honest, although I did a hell of a job, I had more to worry about than if Sally B. and Jaine K. from Minnetonka wore their uniforms the right way, although the old Pan Am regime would have you chase down Flight Attendants and make them clean up their act. Northwest has always had an issue with uniforms, period. They want you to look and act proefssional, but then they treat you like a dog, work you like a slave, can't supply uniform pieces and still expect you to look like a god or goddess at the end of a 20-hour duty day.

I say "Bravo" to the new uniforms, but like I said, they're probably Delta's old stock or used ones Delta collected from their Flight Attendant group. A leopard never changes its spots, you know - you can dress it up and paint it a different color, but Northwest will always be exactly what it is: Northwest.
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos