Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetBlueGuy2006
Topic Author

Working For Comair @ Capital City Airport

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:43 am

Hey Everyone:

I am currently looking for a job, and have thought about applying to work at Capital City Airport with Comair. I am a college sophomore, so I would think it would be a nice job, and with only a few flights a day, it would be fun. Also, it would be easy to work around my schedule.

Does anyone have any advice for me as a debate applying? Would it be hard to get a job there? What is it like working for a small operation at a smaller station.

Any Advice would be helpful.

JetBlueGuy2006
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

freshlove1

RE: Working For Comair @ Capital City Airport

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:07 am

Capital City ? Whats the 3 letter code? It really depends if your trying to schedule work around classes as flight schedule sdo change from time to time. I know that there are some managers who will do it and others who will not. I guess you would have to go for the interview and see if something could be worked out. Comair is not to bad. I have several firends who work for them and they say the job is only as good as the people you have working with you. From what I gather they have a good group that they work with becausel they like it. Good luck if you give it a try.

afrikaskyes

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:23 am

Unfortunately, students are not well admired where I work for the following reasons:

1. Class schedules become difficult for the manager to schedule around. Favortism always leans towards those attending school when schedules are required to change, no matter how much senoirity one might have.

2. Students tend to not have the flexibility that is required to work for an airline (especially working for Comair or ASA). Your peers will not appreciate your inability to stay late for delayed departures and arrivals.

3. (You seem to think there will be so few flights that there will be plenty of down time to do your homework.) Students utilize their time unwisely at work. More often, they spend their time doing homework and not concentrating on work repsonsibilities. Students tend to be so wrapped up in their homework, that they fail to realize when it is flight time.

4. Some either failed at higher eductation, or never made it to higher education. Therefore, your peers will resent your prescencse, knowing you're out the door as soon as you get your degree.

5. Students are never flexible enough to attend training. While others with families and other life responsibilities are forced to go to training, students get to hang back and not have to perform greater responsibilites because they lack the training they need to perform those responsibities.

I am sure I could go on and on, but you get the point. Do us a favor and stay away from what you think will be a "fun" summer job.

JetBlueGuy2006
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting Afrikaskyes (Reply 2):
2. Students tend to not have the flexibility that is required to work for an airline (especially working for Comair or ASA). Your peers will not appreciate your inability to stay late for delayed departures and arrivals

The way my schedule works out, I would be able to. My schedule is really concentrated so that wouldn't be a problem. My first class is at 9:00

3. (You seem to think there will be so few flights that there will be plenty of down time to do your homework.) Students utilize their time unwisely at work. More often, they spend their time doing homework and not concentrating on work repsonsibilities. Students tend to be so wrapped up in their homework, that they fail to realize when it is flight time.

I know that when I am at work, wherever that might be, my first responsibility. So I would only do homework if I was done with tasks that would be assigned to me.

I am sure I could go on and on, but you get the point. Do us a favor and stay away from what you think will be a "fun" summer job.

I only think it would be fun because I love aviation, and I wouldn't think of it as just a summer job, I would work there because it would help me pay my way through school.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

isitsafenow

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:52 am

Capital City in Lansing is LAN.
To help yourself adjust to a part time work sched vs your school classes, you need to know what time the planes come and go at LAN.
I was in a similar situation years ago at Pellston with North Central. As bad as I wanted to work and as bad as the station manager wanted me(I had airline experience over the other apps) it just didn't work out.
Hopefully you will fair better.
Good luck and follow your dream
safe.....also in Michigan
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

N822ME

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 3):
The way my schedule works out, I would be able to. My schedule is really concentrated so that wouldn't be a problem. My first class is at 9:00

Are you sure that the way the bids go it will work out? I mean, people frequently make the mistake of saying "Oh, there's the flight schedule" and think that shifts won't include down time in between or are as neatly contained as would seem logical.

bcoz

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:02 am

I remember the summer between my junior and senior years at the University of Missouri about seven years ago. I was spending the summer at home with my parents in South Carolina and applying for part-time jobs for the upcoming school year. Of course, I applied for jobs in the two industries for which I had the greatest passions...radio and commercial aviation. I applied for a board-op job at the news/talk radio station in town and I applied for a job working for Trans States at COU (at that time, it was still TW Express). I got a call from the radio station, and the rest was history. I loved every minute of my time at the radio station. I worked there for the next two years while I was a student (and never had any trouble from anyone in regards to my schedule as a student....manager or co-worker). Then, I worked there for about two years full time after I graduate.

Thing is, a month after I started my job at the radio station, I got a call from the manager out at COU for Trans States. They wanted to interview me, but I figured that with classes and the job at the radio station it would be too much.

That's always been one of my greatest regrets...that I didn't try to get into an industry that I love when I could.

As my dad has always said, "there's no harm in putting in an application!"

Don't let these other folks discourage you. I assume by Capital City you're probably talking about LAN. That's a college town and I'm confident (although not sure) that there is other college labor there at the airport...so I'm sure they are familiar with working with you if a schedule conflict comes up.

Do us a favor and stay away from what you think will be a "fun" summer job.

What he said is bull.

You are applying for a job in an industry that, by your presence here, you seem to enjoy! Best of luck!

bcoz

freshlove1

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:04 am

The LAN DL schedule is not that bad. Do they have split shifts there?

From CVG

11:50a and 9:58p arrivals

From ATL

5:25p arivals

To CVG

7a and 5:50p

To ATL

12:20p

afrikaskyes

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:12 am

I love aviation

Not after you work with: Pilot Shortages, ATC Flow Control, whiny medallion members, chronic delays and cancellations, MTC prone aircraft, pissed off disgruntled underpaid union regional airline pilots, and lazy coworkers. This a common and very typical day in the life of a customer service agent.

Work will no longer be 'fun' for you when you can no longer go home with a sense of pride and accomplishment. The future of Comair and ASA is dark, grey, and bleak. Working for a regional airline is like living through a global winter. The sun may never shine again.

Did I forget bitter Northwest Michigan winters?

bcoz

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting Afrikaskyes (Reply 8):
Not after you work with: Pilot Shortages, ATC Flow Control, whiny medallion members, chronic delays and cancellations, MTC prone aircraft, pissed off disgruntled underpaid union regional airline pilots, and lazy coworkers. This a common and very typical day in the life of a customer service agent.

Work will no longer be 'fun' for you when you can no longer go home with a sense of pride and accomplishment. The future of Comair and ASA is dark, grey, and bleak. Working for a regional airline is like living through a global winter. The sun may never shine again.

Well then... lets just ground the entire United States commercial aviation fleet!

Come on guys... the dude is looking for his first break into the business!

bcoz

[Edited 2007-07-15 03:21:16]

freshlove1

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 am

The future of Comair and ASA is dark, grey, and bleak.

That is true as I believe DL is still looking to dump Comair although they will not come out and admit it and apparently Skywest, who now owns ASA, does not treat the 2 companies equally. ASA is Skywest's red-head stepchild

JBo

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:43 pm

Class schedules become difficult for the manager to schedule around. Favortism always leans towards those attending school when schedules are required to change, no matter how much senoirity one might have.

Depends entirely on the manager and his or her style. My manager is more than willing and able to accomodate school schedules ... and I've always made sure to plan my classes to allow me to get enough work hours in at the times I'm able to.

Students utilize their time unwisely at work. More often, they spend their time doing homework and not concentrating on work repsonsibilities. Students tend to be so wrapped up in their homework, that they fail to realize when it is flight time.

redflag  Not true. I've spent many nights working on homework and keeping an eye on the clock to make sure what's going on. Usually if it's during the day and a bit busy, there isn't much opportunity to spend studying, anyway. It's the downtime after a flight til probably a couple hours before the next turn that you have the time to study/read/etc. Furthermore, it again depends on the type of station you work at and the company you work for as far as just how many "responsibilities" there are to be done between flights. Where I work, there's jack nothing to do between flights once all the paperwork is done.

Some either failed at higher eductation, or never made it to higher education. Therefore, your peers will resent your prescencse, knowing you're out the door as soon as you get your degree.

redflag  Not true, again. You certainly seem certain of yourself as being an authority to represent the majority of the airline workforce. Where I work, everyone is supportive of my pursuits in education, and I'm definitely not the only one there juggling work and college. Sure, we may be gone when that degree comes around, but people have come to accept that as a nature of this job field.

Students are never flexible enough to attend training. While others with families and other life responsibilities are forced to go to training, students get to hang back and not have to perform greater responsibilites because they lack the training they need to perform those responsibities.

redflag  Not true, again. I took a week off from my fall semester to go to initial training. My college instructors were more than accomodating for it. Subsequent training sessions I've gone to during spring and summer so not to interfere with school. It's worked out just fine.

Students tend to not have the flexibility that is required to work for an airline (especially working for Comair or ASA). Your peers will not appreciate your inability to stay late for delayed departures and arrivals.

redflag  I can't speak for Comair and ASA or other airports, but in most of the time I've been juggling work and school, I've wound up picking up additional shifts beyond those I was scheduled for during most of the semester because someone would quit or get fired, and no one else was available to cover certain hours, so I'd end up doing it. Sure, it may have meant hauling balls direct to the airport as soon as I get out of class, but in the end it worked. I also can't tell you how many late nights I've spent dealing with delays only to have to be back to school by 10 a.m.

Pilot Shortages, ATC Flow Control, whiny medallion members, chronic delays and cancellations, MTC prone aircraft, pissed off disgruntled underpaid union regional airline pilots, and lazy coworkers. This a common and very typical day in the life of a customer service agent.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt ... and going on three years later, still doing it.

Did I mention I work for Skyway?

Pfft. And I work in MKG, right on the lake. We have lake-effect snow to deal with.

-------------------

Jetblueguy, don't listen to Afrikaskyes. He seems nothing more than bitter and disgruntled.

The least you can do is give it a shot and talk to the manager for Comair at LAN. If he or she sounds accomodating to your needs, go for it. If anything, you might have to miss a few days of school for initial training ... but it should work out in the long run.

As far as managing your homework at work ... if you have enough downtime for it, it works great ... just make sure to work when you're needed to. Some managers aren't too keen on their employees spending their time studying, some, like mine, are really cool about it. I've had days where I was planning on getting through a project for school while at work, only to have operational chaos ensue and spend the entire day at the counter dealing with passengers or out on the ramp with airplanes. Needless to say, those were days spent staying up a little later once I got home.

It can definitely be a challenge at times, managing both school and work, especially with the demands that even a seemingly small and not-very-busy outstation can sometimes put on you. I spent one semester working 30+ hours a week on top of a 12+ credit-hour schedule at school, because we were shorthanded at work. It worked out in the end, but it was a bit stressful.

In October, I'll have three years in and overall I've enjoyed it.

Best of luck to you, both in studies and the job hunt!
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

DLOnur

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:28 pm

As someone who went to school (my MA) and worked at an airline, I say you go for it. Don't let your future dreams and goals withing aviation and the possibilities of a "bleak" future hinder you.

I worked for WestAir (UAX on the West Coast) from 1995-4/10/1998. I loved working for the regionals while going to school. I was at ACV. I worked the afternoon night shift which meant lots of late planes from SFO due to LAE generally due to FLOW in SFO. That said, I became the closing supervisor/RON supervisor up at ACV during those years. It was great. We knew all of the pilots, they were cool and the FA's were hot back in the day (gotta love night shift.... Wink.

Albeit, I didn't get out till about 2-3am nightly, but the OT was good, the people I worked with were cool and very laidback, and all of my classes were in the afternoon. I worked a full time shift or most of those years while getting my MA.

When SkyWest took over the UAX routes on April 10th, 1998, I became a OO employee for another year or so. I loved having Write-your-own priveleges on UAL during that time--got to fly some great planes and some great routes on UAL during those years--I was young and I loved every second of it. Lots of TDY during that time too, so I ended up all over the SkyWest systerm and was able to take advantage of my flight benefits--three days off to go to IST or LHR or IAD to visit friends and family was phenomenal.

I was so in love with the regionals that I took time off from school to devote myself to operations and to learning OO operations.

In any event, my time working for the regionals (went to QX for three years after OO) was a wonderful learning experience, considering ACV was a cross-utilized station and I learned every aspect of working a station--you name it, I did it: fueling EMB's (INOP gauge class was phenomenally interesting), checking people in, selling tickets, ramping, security, GSC, HAZMAT, Cargo acceptance, repositioning A/C--everything was very enjoyable...and how can I forget about the OO flight attendants (they must have men hiring over at OO inflight)....

That said, my dream was always to go to a major.....my life became so wrapped up with aviation that I eventually went and got my MS in human factors and am currently working on my PhD in aviation human factors--it can easily become a career that can hopefully make you happy and satisfied. I don't make much at DL (no one at DL makes that much really), but I enjoy every second of my work day because I am doing something that I really enjoy--not many people can say that....

Go for it dude....you're young and you've got nothing to lose. Live life and enjoy your adventures.

Best regards.
-onur
ABQ/IST
What you believe is what you see.

acidradio

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:56 pm

DLOnur - ahh ACV, one of my favorite airports ever to visit. I take it you went to Humboldt State? I sorta saw a girl who went there and visited regularly. I live in MSP. MSP-SFO-ACV (and everything inbetween) can be tough to get to. But I love Arcata very much. All that beer. And the takeoff over the ocean from ACV is so perfect, no number of photos will ever be able to show it off to people.

Regionals can be tough jobs but you learn a lot. Either you are a cross-utilized station or you get to eventually learn how it all works. My first job was on the ramp for XJ in MSP. Tough tough work but I learned a lot and got my foot in the door of the airline business. Just don't let the job interfere with your schoolwork. The minute it does that, get out. At the end of the day, you need a degree. The airline will still be there.

Planes break. Passengers freak out. Things happen. But in regionals, you will encounter mostly younger pilots who still remember working to the bone in college. While I have tremendous respect for the guys who drive larger planes where I work, many of them are about as old as my dad (late 50's). They are near retirement and their life priorities are different. We are all still a bunch of guys and can talk about the last copy of Maxim that came out, but the guys you are pushing back in the RJ or turboprop are closer to your age and may have more in common. You can impersonate Cartman, or Jim-Bob, or Beavis and Butthead or Junkyard Willie with them, but the older guys may not understand  Wink
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

DTWAGENT

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:27 pm

I say go for it. I either wanted to work for and airline or own a travel agency. Well, I kept on working for it and now I own my agency some 25 years later and love every minute of it. Don't Ever let anyone talk you out of your dreams like I did some 25 yrs ago. Go for it and have fun doing it.

National757

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 am

I say go for it! Don't let anything hold you back. I'm sure you are plenty qualified for a position at Comair and obtaining a position should be realistic as long as there are open positions and you present yourself in a professional manner at all times. Nothing like working in aviation!

Let me know how you do bro!

-Rich

afrikaskyes

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:44 am

The thing with you being a student and all? Well, they all say their job will come before school. As if that is the case. I've heard that maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 7 years and it never goes that way. You would be the first! (Yes, that is the managers fault.) Every other manager at that airport immediately rejects student resumes and applications. They are very forthcoming about this, too. (The TSA is another one). I think most airlines learned from hiring TSA, both active and inactive. That's besides the point.

What happens when you need to take a specific course or a lab and none are available outside of your work hours? Most airlines don't want to invest in the costs of having you trained, drug tested, and background checked, if this is a temporary or summer job. I don't know. Maybe it would work out for you. You just better be prepared for a lot of unforeseen IROPS and situations that would prevent you from attending your classes. Let me tell you this. The situation with Comair is going to get a lot worse. Finishing school is a given. Make that your priority.

He seems nothing more than bitter and disgruntled.

I was indeed bitter and disgruntled, but did the right thing and changed industries. Now when I hear an airliner, I can pause, look up, and admire this beautiful airship soaring above me. The extremely poor performance of Comair and ASA prevented me from feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Ironically, the interviewers who hired me arrived on an ASA flight that I happened to be working the day before. They were delayed nearly 10 hours and were plenty unhappy. At the interview they were clearly unrested and rather uninterested in the situation they were in. When learning I worked for ASA, the same airline that ruined their schedule, I thought I had no chance for the position available. Asked why I was wanting to leave the company, I looked them in the eyes and told them the hard work and pride I poured into my career was no longer rewarding. They saw conviction in my heart and in my eyes and they said "we can sit here and fully understand and feel your pain." I believe what they saw in front of them was a feeble rape victim of the regional airline industry. The sympathy paid off and they offered me a job!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos