ltbewr
Topic Author

Breastfeeding In Flight

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:33 pm

What are the policies of airlines in the USA, the rest of the world as to brestfeeding a child in flight? I know that in the USA, there is generally a very negative attitude as to 'public' breasfeeding, but they may have to allow it on a flight to prevent lawsuits.

CV990

RE: Breastfeeding In Flight

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi!

That's a very interesting point and I can share my experience. In October 2006 I had a trip to California with my wife and younger daughter ( she was 23 month old ) flying LIS/AMS/IAD/LAX/FAT with TP/UA and Skywest. We are portuguese and in Portugal breastfeeding was not and it's never a problem, but we know that when you fly to USA that might cause a problem, so we tried to avoid any shocking experience to other passengers....my wife always used a cloth dipper to cover her breast and our daughter face, so everything went very smooth and we didn't have a problem. I think the wisest thing to do is, if we are traveling to a place that this can be a issue please try to avoid it.....I know that in Portugal it's not a big deal at all but if we know in another that can be an issue we need to be wise.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

falcon7x

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:48 pm

I have no issues with a women breast feeding on a passenger flight or anywhere as long as the women is having respect for others and not ''exposing'' herself inappropriatley.Its a part of human life and anyone who has a problem with it makes me shake my head.

28thguy

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Use a blanket and try to get a window seat (further from view). You will be fine.

Bramble

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting Falcon7x (Reply 2):
I have no issues with a women breast feeding on a passenger flight or anywhere as long as the women is having respect for others and not ''exposing'' herself inappropriatley.Its a part of human life and anyone who has a problem with it makes me shake my head.

My attitude to people who try to complain about a natural practise are to tell them that they don't have to look. And then offer to move them to a very bad seat. Most women who breastfeed on my flights are self-conscious enough without some idiot complaining.

FoxBravo

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:16 am

Anyone who complains about discreet breastfeeding in flight should be reminded that the alternative is usually a screaming hungry baby! I'll take the breastfeeding, thank you very much.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

InnocuousFox

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting CV990 (Reply 1):
had a trip to California with my wife and younger daughter ( she was 23 month old )

Your wife was breast-feeding a 23-month old?  Wow! Weeks maybe?
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

FlySSC

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Thread starter):
I know that in the USA, there is generally a very negative attitude as to 'public' breasfeeding,

Why ? this is ridiculous !  wideeyed 

There is nothing more natural on earth than a mother breastfeeding her child !
This has never been a problem anywhere in France, on AF or in any other mean of transport including public buses or trains and I am sure it is the same elsewhere in Europe.

As a F/A, I can see that happening quite often on AF and I never had to face any problem/complain from other passengers... Actually, most of the people around find that so cute and adorable !

philhyde

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:59 am

My wife breastfed both of our children (now 3 and 7), which included many flights (US airlines) when they were infants. We had no problems and didn't experience any negative attitude.

Breastfeeding children on board a flight is a good thing because it is soothing/comforting to the child (and mother) and helps them cope with the flight physically (equalizing) and emotionally.
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

L410Turbolet

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:11 am

a) anyone seeing something even remotely sexual or erotic about breastfeeding should immediately seek psychiatric counselling

b) If seeing woman's breasts while she's feeding a baby offends you, most likely you're staring too much in the first place. Don't stare - simple as that!

Someone83

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 9):
I know that in the USA, there is generally a very negative attitude as to 'public' breasfeeding,

Why ? this is ridiculous !

Remember, you're talking about a country which got traumatized after somebody showed a boob on national TV a few years ago
 sarcastic 

ScarletHarlot

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 7):
Your wife was breast-feeding a 23-month old?

It is generally recommended in the US to breastfeed up until one year. Many kids in the US are breastfed well after that. In many countries children are breastfed until they are two or three.
But that was when I ruled the world

gregarious119

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting 28thguy (Reply 3):
Use a blanket and try to get a window seat (further from view). You will be fine.

That about sums it up. Many times, if the mom is using a blanket, you won't often even notice anything happening. I think it's fair decency to cover up, but other than that, its for the good of the passengers and the baby to have that child get fed.

ChinaClipper40

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:15 am

Don't worry about it. My son is now 28 years old. When he was an infant and a toddler, my wife breast-fed him whenever he wanted the food and emotional comfort of the breast. Including aboard commercial airliners all over North America. And I'm talking back in the 1970s, when American society was even more up-tight about breast-feeding in public than it is now. Just do it with common sense - use a small towel to make sure that you're not exposing too much female flesh for the damned fool prudes that society seems filled with.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it's correct to say that the courts in the U.S. have consistently held that breast-feeding is a legally protected natural behavior that may be done anywhere in public provided a common-sense degree of discretion is used.

ChinaClipper40

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:50 am

I do not mind it. Its a natural thing and people have to understand that.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:02 am

On CO you can breast feed your child. The only stigma for that is held by the people who have the problem with it.

I have seen breast feeding countless times. I have no problem with it and have yet to encounter a problem with others with it in 20+ years of flying.

My one story of note is years ago working a flight to DEN on the A300, we had a woman whose child was wanting to be feed. He kept asking (yes, asking) for food and wanting to be fed. He had a tantrum until the mother lifted her shirt, got her breast out and starting feeding him. Standing up, the child was. He was 5.

To each his own, I guess.
You can't cure stupid

jwenting

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting Falcon7x (Reply 2):
I have no issues with a women breast feeding on a passenger flight or anywhere as long as the women is having respect for others and not ''exposing'' herself inappropriatley

Which begs the question to define "inappropriate exposure"..
Depending on that definition it may be "inappropriate" for the woman to show even her face (see Iran), let alone a breast.

There is nothing more natural on earth than a mother breastfeeding her child !

True. But many societies consider a woman having an exposed breast (except maybe to her husband) as somehow obscene.
I wish I were flying

LV

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:46 am

This brings up another question.
My sister in law doesn't like to breast feed in public, so a lot of times she will pump into bottles in advance. So when my brother and her fly, is the TSA going to take away the breast milk? What's the procedure for that since it is a liquid over three ounces?

mirrodie

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 6):
Anyone who complains about discreet breastfeeding in flight should be reminded that the alternative is usually a screaming hungry baby! I'll take the breastfeeding, thank you very much.

Well our son is now 5 and a half months old. Breastfeeding was just great for him and us. Much less nonesense to pack and it helped with this ears during changes in altitude. And no one seemed to complain.

His first flight was on AA 2 months ago. It was pretty funny, my wife and I held him off the boob until we turned onto the runway. As soon as the engines spooled up, we put him on the boob. And tte surrounding passengers were happier with a quieter baby.

Funny was how my wife fed him, in the window seat, with a small blanket covering him and keeping it discreet. Yet she whipped it out on South Beach and felt more relaxed about it there.

Our second flight with him was 2 days ago, on Friday the 13th, flew B6 up to BOS. He cried a bit during taxi but again, once we turned onto 13R and the engines spooled up, we put him on the boob and we was quiet the entire trip.

Finally,

I know that in the USA, there is generally a very negative attitude as to 'public' breasfeeding, but they may have to allow it on a flight to prevent lawsuits.

I don't thinl there is a very negative attitude. I think what we have heard were of isolated incidents. But having been a parent now and on the other end of things, I don't really see a negative attitude against us and breastfeeding.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

FoxBravo

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 19):

That seems like a very good plan. I have seen other passengers breastfeed right at takeoff, and it does seem to work wonders in terms of keeping the baby quiet and happy as the pressure changes. My wife is expecting our first child any day now, and when it comes time for her first flight, I'm sure we will do the same! Glad to hear you haven't seen any negative attitude.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

brons2

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):
Standing up, the child was. He was 5.

maybe he was just taller than normal?

I used to have this problem a lot when I was little, people would ask my mom why i was acting weird and mom would reply "because he's TWO!"

I'm now 6'7".
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

XJetflyer

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:21 am

I have posted on here before about screaming kids. I HATE IT!

I did have one experience with a very attractive mother who was sitting next to me. She asked me if I had a problem with it and I explained no. I know once the baby gets what he or she wants they are usually happy until they take a crap! LOL!

Besides i'm a man. What if I see a boob, i'm going to sue??? Give me a break. It's a natural frigging thing!

SPREE34

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 10):
a) anyone seeing something even remotely sexual or erotic about breastfeeding should immediately seek psychiatric counselling

b) If seeing woman's breasts while she's feeding a baby offends you, most likely you're staring too much in the first place. Don't stare - simple as that!

Best reply!

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 11):
Remember, you're talking about a country which got traumatized after somebody showed a boob on national TV a few years ago

Well, some were. We (USA) do seem either stuck in perpetual pubescent Xanadu, or in constant Victorian/Christian objection to everything nude.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

bond007

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 17):
But many societies consider a woman having an exposed breast (except maybe to her husband) as somehow obscene.

Well, I hear all the "natural act" folks here, but the reality of the matter is, if a woman got her breast out on an aircraft without a baby, and with no intent of breastfeeding anyone, it would be no doubt called 'obscene'
... not that it would worry me .. well, depending on the woman  Wink

It's not quite as simple as saying you really dont care, and we shouldn't be looking ... but in some states you can't even go to a strip club and see nipples without paper things covering them up (so I'm told!!). You also can't have breasts showing on the magazine shelf ... it's not dependent on whether you stare, or think it's OK.

I happen to think it's quite OK to do it, as long as it's somewhat discrete. In fact 2 weeks ago I was in the aisle seat, and the woman in the window seat was breastfeeding. I didn't know until she asked a question and I looked her way.

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 8):
This has never been a problem anywhere in France,

Many things have never been a problem in France, but have everywhere else !

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

CV990

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am

Hi!

23 weeks old??? Noop, our daughter was 23 months old, and she's now 30 months old and guess what...she's still breastfeeding her once a while, and I really don't see why that surprise!!!  cheerful 
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

57AZ

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:31 am

Anyone who complains about discreet breastfeeding in flight should be reminded that the alternative is usually a screaming hungry baby!

Either that or having a lav rendered out of service for an undetermined amount of time. Back when railroads were the primary mode of travel, passenger cars often had a lounge at each end of the car co-located with the toilets-one for men and one for women. If a passenger desired to breastfeed in private, she could do so in the comfort and privacy of the women's lounge. If a man wanted a smoke, he had to do so in the men's lounge if the carrier's rules permitted. Many railroads prohibited smoking anywhere other than the designated smoking car-if the train carried one.

Myself, I have no problem with breastfeeding in public.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Maersk737

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:41 am

Breastfeeding is very natural....How can anyone see a problem with that?

Should a younger woman accidentally show her breast in public, it's ok in my opinion  Wink

Cheers

Peter
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

greg3322

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 26):
Either that or having a lav rendered out of service for an undetermined amount of time.

I don't know anyone that eats in a lav or bathroom. I don't think a baby should either!

Both of my daughters were breastfed on many flights throught the US and Canada. Never had a problem.

As others have pointed out, breastfeeding is a protected act in the US. Anyone trying to stop you is asking for a lot of trouble.

Greg

iclcy

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:49 am

Well this is my experience:

I travel with my best friend who's a lady with her young kid, she breast feeds him wherever we go - its only a small person sucking on a boob of which we have seen plenty.

My partner(male) head falls on my shoulder when he's asleep on a VS flight, the f/a's looked at me as if we were at it like baboons.

I really don't see the big deal, its a child sucking on a boob, theres nothing sexual/gross/inaprioprate about it.

I wonder if those that complain, had a 'save my tit's' mum & not been breast fed.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 21):
maybe he was just taller than normal?

He said he was 5. His words. That and his Mom confimed it.
You can't cure stupid

fsnuffer

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:49 am

I think the opening post was very generalizing and not accurate. There are a minority of people in the US who probably get offended at the drop a hat at everything that think breastfeeding in public is inappropriate and are vocal about it. Many different cultures have many different preferences and sensitivities. I think in the US, a little modesty is appreciated but not required. When a woman is breastfeeding around me I make an effort to look everywhere else but around the lady. Not because I am offended but because I don’t want people to think I am a peeping tom

vv701

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Bramble (Reply 5):
My attitude to people who try to complain about a natural practise are to tell them that they don't have to look.

There are numerous 'natural practises' that many would find offensive in public places. For example you cannot feed a baby before first conceiving and then giving birth. Yet there are few societies that would condone either conceptrion or (except in emergencies) giving birth in public.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 17):
Which begs the question to define "inappropriate exposure"..
Depending on that definition it may be "inappropriate" for the woman to show even her face (see Iran), let alone a breast.

checkmark 
Respect for the beliefs of others is the cornerstone of a civilised society.

LimaNiner

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 am

Exactly! We travelled from SFO to LHR with our 5-month-old a couple of years ago, and all it took was a little planning: keep him as amused as possible at the airport, board last to minimize the time on-board, and as soon as the plane's engines spool up, insert mom's nipple into baby's mouth. Baby eats, equalizes the pressure, and as the plane levels off, baby falls asleep content. Made the 11-hour flight a pure joy. The captain even came down to see this "miracle baby" (we were sitting up front on VS) that was charming FAs and pax alike...

I know that in the USA, there is generally a very negative attitude as to 'public' breasfeeding

You're generalizing just a tad, don't you think? There are civilized parts of the USA, you know... Does every European smoke? Is every Scandinavian an alcoholic? ...  stirthepot 

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting XJETFlyer (Reply 22):
I know once the baby gets what he or she wants they are usually happy until they take a crap!

I love having a baby next to me because you can fart as much as you want and everyone just thinks it's the baby. I once sat next to an extremely attractive young mother and her baby after having some kind of big antisocial meal before boarding, and she kept checking the diaper and shaking her head.

Quoting CV990 (Reply 1):
We are portuguese and in Portugal breastfeeding was not and it's never a problem

Oddly the people in the US who gave my wife problems with breastfeeding were not the fundamentalist puritans one would expect, but rather Catholic latinos, and yet I would totally believe it would be no problem if we were actually in Portugal or Spain or France or Mexico or Brasil or anywhere else.
7 hours aint long-haul

nzrich

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:01 am

From a New Zealand perspective i dont see a problem with breastfeeding at all .. After all it is 100% natural ..
"Pride of the pacific"

workflyer

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 32):
Respect for the beliefs of others is the cornerstone of a civilised society

If someones belief is that it is correct to breastfeed in public, then they are respecting their own beliefs are they not. I do not see the problem. My kids were both breastfed by my wife in public. It was that or have two hungry infants who were grisly and hungry.

As someone earlier said, if you see something sexual or otherwise about a breast being exposed and used for feeding then I too would suggest you seek phychiatric help and soon.

As for the suggetion that they be fed in a public toilet, I suggest to those that say that that they go and eat their lunch while sitting on the bowl in a public convenience and see how well they like it.

justplanenutz

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting Fsnuffer (Reply 31):
There are a minority of people in the US who probably get offended at the drop a hat at everything that think breastfeeding in public is inappropriate and are vocal about it.

I agree and I would further add that there are only a small minority of mothers who make no effort at modesty when breastfeeding in public.

Any stories you hear about intolerance of breastfeeding in the US are between those two small groups and are simply not representative of attitudes or experiences here. Yes we are a little more prudish than other places, but breastfeeding is breastfeeding.

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting LV (Reply 18):
is the TSA going to take away the breast milk? What's the procedure for that since it is a liquid over three ounces?

Please inform the the TSA what its for and due a demo with your child so the TSA knows its not dangerous. Hope this helps.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Falzone

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 am

It is 100% legal to breastfeed in public in all 50 states and many states (29 or so) have their own additional laws providing further protection. For instance, Minnesota, where I live, requires employers to provide a room at the workplace for breastfeeding (one that isn't a bathroom). No one can legally force you to stop breastfeeding anywhere in the U.S.

This country can be so uptight sometimes it's ridiculous.

fllcontinental

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:42 am

Hey, hold up! Wow don't you stop dissing americans. The only reason we were offended was because it was done purposely. Had it been an accident there wouldn't have been as much of a shock, so grow up!

N723GW

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:46 am

I've seen it before, it was on a Chicago Express flight from MDW-GRR. The woman had a blanket over the baby, I had no problem with it, and it seemed like no other passengers even noticed.
The dude abides

Acey

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting Fllcontinental (Reply 40):
Wow don't you stop dissing americans. The only reason we were offended was because it was done purposely. Had it been an accident there wouldn't have been as much of a shock, so grow up!

I don't see it as "dissing Americans". Purposely or not, it's comical how the simple exposure of human anatomy caused such an uproar.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

bps3458

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:56 am

We travelled from BNE to MIA with our 8 week old son in December 06 and we encountered no problems on any flight (QF and UA) while my wife was breastfeeding our son during take-off, while in flight and during landing. As many said, majority of passengers actually appreciate a breastfeeding mother as this usually keeps infants nice and calm during the flight especially during take-off and landing.

We did experience a few very unfriendly and hostile views while my wife was breastfeeding in Miami. Mind you, she is very discrete and always covers her exposed breast with a thin sheet but this was apparently not sufficient for many locals in Miami. Was very surprised that we could not find a nice and clean parent room in the Dolphin Mall for her to breastfeed.

Cheers,

Peter

Jerald01

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:42 pm

My wife and I stopped and talked with a young mother at church today. My wife was admiring the little blanket that covered the woman's infant as she lay in her baby carrier. Of specific interest was a long, narrow strap that had been sewn onto one end of it (one end attached at each corner of the blanket). She asked the young mother what the strap was for and was told that the mother put the strap over her head when breast-feeding the child and let the blanket hang down in front of her, thereby completely covering the child and the upper portion of the mothers chest. This insures that a discreet breast feeding occurs and, according to the mother, nobody even notices what is going on the whole time the child is nursing.

Seems like a very simple solution to a very simple problem.
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

InnocuousFox

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Maersk737 (Reply 27):
Breastfeeding is very natural....How can anyone see a problem with that?

So is taking a crap. Unfortunately, some drunk dude tried that on the service cart on a plane a while back. Didn't go over real well, IIRC.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Halophila

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:15 pm

you're talking about a country which got traumatized after somebody showed a boob on national TV a few years ago

With all respect, it wasn't the whole country - by a long way!! However the media in the US is controlled by people with certain beliefs, hence it may appear to the rest of the world that we are all like that.

I see no problem whatsoever with breastfeeding in public, be it aircraft, public bus, public park etc. Nobody complains when very very overweight guys at the pool parade around in tiny speedos and have exposed breasts often larger than women!
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

brons2

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm

you're talking about a country which got traumatized after somebody showed a boob on national TV a few years ago

that was the best part of the Super Bowl half time show, by far!

Trauma, no way!
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

maverick747

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 47):
Trauma, no way!

You wouldn't think that by the hysteria created over that  duck 

Maersk737

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Halophila (Reply 46):
I see no problem whatsoever with breastfeeding in public, be it aircraft, public bus, public park etc. Nobody complains when very very overweight guys at the pool parade around in tiny speedos and have exposed breasts often larger than women!

He He.

Exactly, and that's not natural  

Cheers

Peter

[Edited 2007-07-16 07:39:39]
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

CrossChecked

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I do sometims think that, for the sake of avoiding any embarassment or upset, women should revert to the bottle when on a plane. It's only a few feeds, afterall.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos