fllcontinental
Topic Author

Rude AA Employees

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 pm

I just recently got back from my vacation to PUJ and while departing from MIA I encountered some very rude employees. When I first entered MIA I went to the check-in desk where an extremely rude lady checked me in and as I left called me a waste of her valuable time behind my back. I mean really, it's her job! Then while boarding the plane they called up all elite members and passengers flying in business class I went onto the plane with that group (I am AAdvantage Platinum) and they had a 5 minute dispute about whether or not I was allowed to board! Then while on the plane I asked if I could have some water to take some pills with and the flight attendant flat out said no saying it was a "safety hazard." Was I unlucky or is this common?

SkyexRamper

RE: Rude AA Employees

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting Fllcontinental (Thread starter):
said no saying it was a "safety hazard." Was I unlucky or is this common?

It's more like, doesn't want to have to throw away anything while she isn't getting paid.

You defiantly should have gotten names and written AA about this.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

AY104

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:48 pm

There is a reason for everything. While the lady who checked you in should not have acted as she did under any circumstance, there must have been something that you said, or your demeanor, that perpetuated such behavior and comment. Quite possibly you were very misunderstood. As far as the scene at the gate, I don't understand why you would not be allowed to preboard given your status. Even if someone had tried to board with the incorrect status, I can't imagine making such an issue of it. People neither pay attention these days to any kind of announcement, nor have respect for any kind of attempt at organized boarding. Asking for a glass of water is not an unreasonable request, regardless of the reason. It sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees, victimizing passengers with confrontational behavior.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Longhornmaniac

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:55 pm

Sounds really unlucky to me. I will admit, however, that check-in agents at MIA for AA haven't come across as particularly friendly to me, in a couple of occasions. Maybe we got the same person!  Wink But as far as boarding with Platinum, I do it with my dad all the time, and have NEVER had an issue such as you described. I fly probably 15-20 segments a year, almost all with AA, and haven't ever had such a problem. Sorry about your bad experience, man, it can ruin an otherwise pleasant trip. Hope you'll stick it out with AA, because I've never had a problem with them. I find a little smile and "please" and "thank you" go an incredible way in getting good customer service. People on a.net sometimes complain about not being treated with respect, or as a person....it goes both ways. I cannot even begin to tell you some of the hell I've seen CSAs and FAs go through with passengers. People often treat them without the slightest respect. Showing you will helps a lot!

BTW, I am an NO way accusing you of not being polite or respectful, just my  twocents  worth.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Longhornmaniac

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 pm

By the way, welcome to a.net Fllcontinental!  Smile

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

AA737-823

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting AY104 (Reply 2):
there must have been something that you said, or your demeanor, that perpetuated such behavior and comment

My thoughts exactly.
Don't get me wrong, I don't care for AA or the MIA experience.
But I doubt a check in agent would just randomly, out of the blue, blurt out that you were a waste of her time. Even if she had Tourette's Syndrome, that'd be an awfully odd combo of words to exclaim.

Your username is Fllcontinental? Good- stick with CO from now on! I think they're a much nicer carrier. Granted, you'da had to change planes in EWR, but hey... more miles.

AY104

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:38 pm

This is additional to the comments I posted in reply 2. I read your profile after I posted the comments.
I can relate to your frustration even more. When I was a lot younger - between 19 and 25 - I lived and worked over in Europe. I was fortunate at the time to be able to travel back and forth to Canada on a couple of occasions on an F ticket. On those trips - a couple of times - I noticed the attitude of the staff towards me, although not rude, was a bit offhand. Regardless of how pleasant I was, there was a resentment present in the body language, likely towards my age and the fact that I was traveling in a premium cabin. It is unfortunate indeed, that many people cannot stand the fact that anyone else should have any kind of advantage that they do not. I kind of think that you may have been victim of unfair stereotyping because of your age. Just because you are young does not mean that you should not be entitled to have elite frequent flyer status and be eligible to travel in a premium cabin. I also hope that you will not take my comments in Reply 2 as accusing you of being in any way impolite or disrespectful. I am trying to understand the reason behind the employee's behavior, while not excusing her in any way.
I really hope that your future trips will be a lot more pleasant.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

flybyguy

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

I just recently got back from my vacation to PUJ and while departing from MIA I encountered some very rude employees. When I first entered MIA I went to the check-in desk where an extremely rude lady checked me in and as I left called me a waste of her valuable time behind my back. I mean really, it's her job! Then while boarding the plane they called up all elite members and passengers flying in business class I went onto the plane with that group (I am AAdvantage Platinum) and they had a 5 minute dispute about whether or not I was allowed to board! Then while on the plane I asked if I could have some water to take some pills with and the flight attendant flat out said no saying it was a "safety hazard." Was I unlucky or is this common?

AA definitely has some issues on their Latin American and Caribbean runs. But by and by, despite the trashy attitudes and filthy planes, they are the best way to get to those regions. I don't think AA does very well at listening to its customers, otherwise they would be Continental. I say just grow a thicker skin and accept AA's MIA as a fact of life... just like US customers dread PHL.

[Edited 2007-07-16 06:40:14]
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

ikramerica

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm

For everyone blaming him, it's really more likely he's just enjoying the "Miami Airport Experience."

That entire place is corrupt, and I've never had plenty of bad experiences there, mostly AA but that's because they run so many flights.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

iairallie

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Then while on the plane I asked if I could have some water to take some pills with and the flight attendant flat out said no saying it was a "safety hazard."

Was it after the safety demo? Once the safety demo is done and surface movement has begun FAA regulations only allow FA's to be out of their seats for to perform safety related functions. It a rule many crewmembers ignore so maybe you got one of the FA's that knows and follows all the safety regulations.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

September11

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:36 pm

It's common, but, not only on AA -- therefore, just don't let it stop you from flying AA
Airliners.net of the Future

EDICHC

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 pm

I have only made one round trip with AA. LGW-DFW-MSY and return. On each trip I saw both sides of AA. Outbound courteous and efficient, smooth connection in DFW...no problem. On boarding at LGW the Captain of our flight was called from the flight deck to the gate for some matter and was returning to the a/c as we were walking along the airbridge, I said to my wife half-joking "hey make way this is the most important guy on our flight". To which the Capt paused for a moment turned and said with a big smile"No Sir you folks are!". A small but very much appreciated gesture.

But the return was a nightmare not only were we (unnecessarily in my opinion, but that's a long and complicated tale) heavily delayed out of MSY but the AA staff at the gate in MSY seemed to think it was somehow amusing that we would be stranded for the night at DFW due to our missed connection. I guess you cannot blame a whole organisation for the actions of a few individuals. I guess it is tough on the likes of that Capt who obviously cared about standards of customer service that he is let down by others in the same company.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

bullpitt

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi

Without wanting to be rude there are a few points I hope you can clear up for us.

You say you are a

(I am AAdvantage Platinum)

if that is so it means you fly with them regularly (Or can you become a platinum on AA without flying)? If this is so then frankly you should know weather this is the norm or not?

I have not flown them so I can't judge but I find it hard to believe that an employee of AA would treat a platinum card holder in such a way.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

BOAC911

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Most of them are frustrated with their jobs, and don't really care. I have seen them chewing gum several times. On July 9, 2007 in LAS, we were twice ordered to get our boarding passes at the kiosks. We had questions though and wanted to ask them the ticket agent before checking in. I check in, then waited for my luggage tags, and then asked the questions. Very rudely the agent responded that I could have done that at the machine as well...go back to the machine....My father is AAdvanage gold, and I am a million miler platinum, and had paid $750 each for our tickets DFW-LAS v.v..

Continental has more of our business from now on.

sevenair

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:01 pm

unfortunately this is not AA or MIA specific. The airline industry is full of nasty pieces of work. How they get front line roles I will never know. Whereas I agree safety can never be compromised, there is a diplomatic and customer friendly way of putting things. NCL ground staff are awful - you ask a simple question, you get a snotty response. I asked an FA on Monarch a question about a landing card, and I got a snappy 'it's on the screen' and he pointed to the screens - which did not answer my question! Bottom line is, airline staff seem to get away with it and it is not right. I remember the good old days - I miss them Sad

airways45

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 10):
It's common, but, not only on AA

checkmark 

Exactly. It's not specific to airlines, it's common in most, if not all service industries.

However, there are many people with 'issues' that they bring to work (and sometimes work is THE issue to them).

We all have bad days, we all have good days (hopefully). Travel is sometimes (if not mostly) a stressful experience. As passengers we probably notice good things (and bad things) more than we would from a shop assistant during our regular life.

Airlines could do a lot better translating their expectations to front-line employees. Things like 'no chewing gum', no having one agent at the podium dealing with 100 passengers in a line and having 3 or 4 other agents talking to each other about the 'weather or other' are simple things to get right.

I've viewed a lot of 'in-experience' from front-line staff who often seek assistance from more experienced colleagues.

I was once checked in for an international business class flight from LHR on United by a temporary intern who was on his first day. He checked me in as another passenger and issued a boarding card to me that wasn't me... Point is that they shouldn't have put him in the situation in the first place, and, certainly not to premium passengers.

Bottom line - professionalism is very important. However, as someone said above, many are unhappy in their posts (especially in the USA where they feel like they have all been screwed over the last few years).

However, the 'who cares, I don't give a sh*t attitude is quite common' in all walks of life. Its up to the airlines to challenge it. Those that try - such as Southwest, Virgin etc are famous for it.

Airways45

adicool

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm sorry, I haven ready everything here, but I might just say that when I flew JFK-SFO with AA I was heavily disappointed with their service. The assumed biggest airline in the world couldn't live up to the expectations I had (and god, they were not that high!). We had a three hour delay in JFK (no one told us why), than we had a gate change, meaning going through all the security controls again and then, on board, I was denied some salt and pepper for my tomato juice bc "you already got some with your [10$] salad, didn't you" - I was like: WTF?
The service was just dreadful and I felt like being on board of a LLC. I will definitely never fly with them again, for sure...

fllcontinental
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 12):
You say you are a

(I am AAdvantage Platinum)

if that is so it means you fly with them regularly (Or can you become a platinum on AA without flying)? If this is so then frankly you should know weather this is the norm or not?

I have not flown them so I can't judge but I find it hard to believe that an employee of AA would treat a platinum card holder in such a way.

I actually do fly regularly (that's how I achieved platinum but mostly from my previous home LAX. So I was wondering if it was bad luck or the MIA AA norm, it also may have been based on my age.

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 9):
Was it after the safety demo? Once the safety demo is done and surface movement has begun FAA regulations only allow FA's to be out of their seats for to perform safety related functions. It a rule many crewmembers ignore so maybe you got one of the FA's that knows and follows all the safety regulations.

I actually asked before the cabin door closed!

jetjeanes

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Ont is just as bad. I told a freind of mine before he hit the ticket counter that they dont care.and they will be rude. He is from another country and tried to be pleasant and it was like i dont have time for you.. I quit flying AA quite a while ago and wont be anytime ever again unless im airlifted out of somewhere.
i can see for 80 miles

zrs70

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55 pm

and they had a 5 minute dispute

Five minutes is a really long time for this kind of dispute. Was it truly a long. dragged out battle, or was it a brief (while annoying) interlude that lasted 10 seconds?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

malaysia

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:03 pm

I have been through MIA on AA before, but from my experience IAD was very rude to me, but places like LAX, NRT, DFW, DCA, ORD, KIX, LAS were okay.

MIA is corrupt yes, terrible layout, but I didnt have issues when connecting in MIA for the Caribbean. One thing I noticed more was some of the female gate agents were younger and prettier (latina) than other stations.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

fllcontinental
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 19):
Was it truly a long. dragged out battle, or was it a brief (while annoying) interlude that lasted 10 seconds?

Yes, in fact it was a long time! They started arguing, the gate agent told them to let me threw but instead it turned into a heated battle that ended with them calling their supervisor and letting me threw it did last 5 minutes though.

nycaviator

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:17 pm

I have also had some bad experiences with AA personnel. Not only in MIA but everywhere.
I had tons of problems at BOS. At one point the AA gate agents gave me a hard time boarding because I had a briefcase sized carry on. What a crazy experience.
Flying is like having eyes on the top of the world.

QantasHeavy

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 pm

AA has plenty of friendly people. That being said I think I have only encountered one that works at MIA. The employees there in general seem mean. That being said, the passengers they deal with are amongst the rudest, most arrogant I have ever seen so I think they get jaded. Just my opinion.

Arcrftlvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting AY104 (Reply 2):
there must have been something that you said, or your demeanor, that perpetuated such behavior and comment.

This is a bit presumptious. Any number of times, I have encountered extremely rude CSAs without provoking them. In fact, their demeanor immediately put me on the defense, thus an argument ensued. Why is it so hard to believe that a CSA was rude?

I'm a 1K with United and as stated above, I have encountered plenty of rude UA employees. So, again, why is it so hard to believe that an employee would be rude? My encounters have mostly occurred at the C/S desk at ORD when trying to rebook after a cancelled flight. On the other hand, the G/As and F/As have all been pretty nice.

tommy767

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:46 am

I'm gold on AA and I can safely say that if you had to classify 'the most rude' employees in the system I would hands down say MIA. It's such a clusterfuck of an operation that it's no wonder that some staff are disgruntled while on the job. Last may I saw MIA shut down because of a Tornado Watch. We diverted MSY-MIA to RSW and the outbound to EWR was cancelled. After arriving in MIA late that night, I've never seen such a madhouse. Flights were cancelled and leaving hours behind schedule and people WERE screaming at each other. Passengers to passengers alike. It was almost as bad as CO when EWR gets shut down or has heavy delays.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ikramerica

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Adicool (Reply 16):
I was denied some salt and pepper for my tomato juice bc "you already got some with your [10$] salad, didn't you" - I was like: WTF?

sorry, man, but they didn't have it to give to you. it comes pre-packed in BOB meals or F meals. They don't have extra. And I've never seen that request in my life for someone ordering tomato juice. Thus it was a special request.

I'm not saying your service wasn't bad, but not getting your special request when it's impossible for them to grant it is not a sign of bad service. it's just live and learn.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

JRDC930

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 am

This is common, while i would not classify myself as an FF on AA (heaven forbid) on the rare occasions there was no other choice, i have flown AA, and rude employees is just part of their business model, something to be expected. FA's are normally very rude, but i have had great ones on occasion, ground staff i have found to always be rude in my own personal experiences. In a way i can understand their rudeness...to a point, working for a horribly and ineptly lead airline with no value of employee moral can cause people to get grumpy, as well as some not so cooperative passengers. However way to many of AA's employees take out their frustration and misery on ALL passengers, even ones who arent asses. They have a job their paid for, they should at least try to do it with a smile, especially when it is a job in a SERVICE industry.

Just My two Cents.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

FURUREFA

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 27):
working for a horribly and ineptly lead airline

I think that's [b] very [/subjective]. While I believe management has made some dumb desicions, I believe all in all they are a good team. AA management has done a very good job brining AA through "recovery", now only time will tell what is in store for American.

Matt

mirrodie

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:11 am

Was I unlucky or is this common?

I think you were simply unlucky. I wish I had a nickel for every thread that began with "Rude 'insert your most hated carrier here' employee"

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 5):
But I doubt a check in agent would just randomly, out of the blue, blurt out that you were a waste of her time. Even if she had Tourette's Syndrome, that'd be an awfully odd combo of words to exclaim.

Tourette's sounds like a reasonable explanation. Otherwise I think it was misheard completely.

BTW how did you acquire such status at such a young age? Did I read that correctly that you are Plt and you were trated in such a horrible manner?! And how did you time the 5 minute exchange? Seems like a bit of an exaggeration. A 5 minute conversation on whether or not you board first would have delayed the aircraft's departure. Are you sure its not more like...30 seconds? Perhaps you meant 5 x 6 seconds instead of 5 whole minutes?

that when I flew JFK-SFO with AA I was heavily disappointed with their service

I just flew their JFK-SFO as well, a great experience on the 763 with the new seats.

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 27):
and rude employees is just part of their business model, something to be expected.

Clearly the most ridiculous statement here.

I'm not here to defend AA employees. Having said that, on the rare occasion that one of them is having a bad day, I call them on it. I have no problems getting their name and telling them what they did wrong. Flying AA for 30 years I expect a minimal amount of service but also respect for another human.

That said, I also just flew American, Alaska Airlines and Jetblue for the first time this month. And you know what? Aside from their uniforms, all the employees from the mentioned airlines are alike in every single way.

Face the facts. Coach and business travel in the US is nothing more than a commodity now. Those that think one airline is superior to another , in the USA, are clearly mislead.

[Edited 2007-07-16 19:45:55]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

N62NA

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 am

MIA is my home airport and I go through there quite often (I am Platinum on AA and average one roundtrip every 3 or 4 weeks).

I truly don't understand all these negative comments about AA in general and AA at MIA in particular. I've never had a bad experience with the people working at MIA --- or any of the AA flight attendants.

If you smile, say "good morning / afternoon / evening" or just a simple "hi" as you board the plane, I have found that often the flight attendants remember you and you get a little extra attention - even in coach. Not that I'm saying that you should have to do this to be treated decently, but try it out on your next flight and see if the experience is a bit better.

luvfa

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:09 am

Even during taxi out I get someone some water if requested! I might not be able to do it that very moment, (if during the safety demo), but once I finish the demo, (provided we aren't immediately cleard for departure), I will get them water. When I was doing re-current training at a previous airline the instructor told us that water can be considered a low-level act of 1st Aid, therefore exempt from Safety Realated Duties Rule during Taxi!

SPREE34

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 7):
I don't think AA does very well at listening to its customers,

You are correct. I just experienced this last month. MIA to EIS

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 7):
I say just grow a thicker skin and accept AA's MIA as a fact of life.

"F"em. Don't fly AA. If they don't want to clean up their MIA ops, or the airline in general, let the bottom line begin reflecting that.

Quoting BOAC911 (Reply 13):
On July 9, 2007 in LAS, we were twice ordered to get our boarding passes at the kiosks. We had questions though and wanted to ask them the ticket agent before checking in. I check in, then waited for my luggage tags, and then asked the questions. Very rudely the agent responded that I could have done that at the machine as well...go back to the machine..

I experienced the same thing at MIA and DFW.

Continental has more of our business from now on.

I have chosen this option, as well as Frontier on my westbound trips.

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 18):
I quit flying AA quite a while ago

Read above re CO and F9. I had already given AA a second chance.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

miaami

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:26 am

Most of the time its usually a misunderstanding but if you have an issue with and employee please get their name and write to AA. If its a crew member make sure to get the flight number and date correct so that they can research the flight. There are a few people that I wonder why they work in the customer service field but there is nothing I can do unless the customer writes to AA with specific info.

Skyguy

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:50 am

Unfortunately, here in the United States this kind of "service" and attitude from employees of all sorts working in the airline industry is all too common. The main, and probably only, reason is that airlines can barely afford to pay the kind of wages and compensation it takes to hire the calibre of people needed to service customers well (to a standard comparable to the best of the rest of the World's airlines) and ensure the smooth operation of the day-to-day business of the airlines.
In a full service economy with full employment (like the US arguably currently enjoys) people who ordinarily would have a tough time getting a decent job of any sort end up working in the airlines. For the money that the airlines pay to staff, it's not surprising: pay peanuts and you will get monkeys. Typically, the people that get hired are poorly trained, have a casual attitude, have mediocre or the bare minimal education required for the job, have little understanding or concept of the nuances of customer service and how they are perceived by the paying passengers, have low morale and believe that the airline and it's customers owe them a favor and a living (with the labor unions backing them). The kind of folks who should be working in the airlines, who would understand what needs to be done and how to do it right, have moved on to other industries where their skills and professionalism is better rewarded. At the rate that this industry is (and has been) going, it could be joked that the illegal immigrants who work for below minimum wages will end up working at the airports for the airlines one day.

Until the airline industry realizes that they are sabotaging themselves by not investing in the right calibre of people by making wise hiring choices and paying better salaries, then us, the flying public, are doomed to recant endless stories of inept employees, rudeness of biblical proportions and sheer dissatisfaction at the hands of the airline staff. Point to note to this end is that we are so used to the diabolical behaviour of these airline staff that one almost kind of expects it and is not surprising, we ARE surprised however when things go unusually right and the staff is extraordinarily polite and competent. Generally however, I have found the staff at the Admiral's lounges to be bay and large the most competent and professional to be seen and experienced in AA's network of ground staff. Writing and complaining to the airline will change little and has minimal impact, no one at the airline has the time to research the thousands upon thousands of written complaints except the 'loudest and more unusual' ones, and like the mafia they are all in cahoots with each other and pulling up one employee for bad behaviour only means readying for a fight for with the labor unions.

As for AA, their MIA hub is notorious for the poor quality of employees generally working there, I have witnessed far worse things than that with passengers and staff, with staff humiliating unsophisticated passengers or those who do not fly frequently. LGA & JFK are not far behind as is DCA. I fly in and out of DCA a lot with AA Eagle, there is one gate agent there (name is "Ed" or something) who is psychotic, I have never in over 25 years of flying seen someone behave so rudely with passenger, he is dismissive, arrogant, and a liar to boot. I have had minimal interaction with him over the last 6 months but have seen his indifference to customers, whether senior citizens or young teenagers is shocking. Sadly, no one in AA's management knows about this, or possibly can do anything about it, but yet he continues to take AA's name down the drain.

[Edited 2007-07-16 22:03:20]
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

SkyexRamper

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Skyguy (Reply 34):
Unfortunately, here in the United States this kind of "service" and attitude from employees of all sorts working in the airline industry is all too common. The main, and probably only, reason is that airlines can barely afford to pay the kind of wages and compensation it takes to hire the calibre of people needed to service customers well (to a standard comparable to the best of the rest of the World's airlines) and ensure the smooth operation of the day-to-day business of the airlines.

The few of us who try to care about the passengers and service, regardless of the company, are few and far between. Good people are very hard to find.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

AIR757200

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 am

Then while boarding the plane they called up all elite members and passengers flying in business class I went onto the plane with that group (I am AAdvantage Platinum) and they had a 5 minute dispute about whether or not I was allowed to board!

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding? Are you completely sure they were boarding both business class and elites together? Usually, only business class customers are invited to pre-board, then AAdvantage Elites (EP, PL) in main cabin will board afterwards. You didn't mention what cabin you were seated in.

If main, did your boarding pass say "AAdvantage Platinum" on it? If it didn't, did you offer to provide proof? I don't know why they wouldn't let you board if you were seated in Business Class?

omoo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:35 am

I just recently got back from my vacation to PUJ and while departing from MIA I encountered some very rude employees. When I first entered MIA I went to the check-in desk where an extremely rude lady checked me in and as I left called me a waste of her valuable time behind my back.

I second that, i was in MIA last week and had to endure the sheer incompetence shown by some AA employees,
Fly Air Popobawa

JRDC930

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 29):
Clearly the most ridiculous statement here.

So i over reacted a little, people get the picture, its not just AA its all U.S. carriers,simply examine their cut cost cut service ideas implemented by management, poor service is so widespread in the industry you could almost call it a norm. Ridiculous comment? Maybe, true?Maybe not, but it sure looks like it.

That said, I also just flew American, Alaska Airlines and Jetblue for the first time this month. And you know what? Aside from their uniforms, all the employees from the mentioned airlines are alike in every single way.

Face the facts. Coach and business travel in the US is nothing more than a commodity now. Those that think one airline is superior to another , in the USA, are clearly mislead.

Sadly,I agree ...  Sad for the most part.Some airlines distinguish themselves more than others, but i guess whether one gets good service or bad,is subjective to each individuals preferences... general consensus i.e. consumer reports and surveys, which would seem to suggest however that some airlines seem to excel in service at compared to a certain 3 legacy carriers. Poor service is the price we pay in the U.S.to fly affordable, and while i enjoy service, some times financial circumstances means ill have to fly the cheapest airline available. Flying has been made available to the masses and rightfully so, unfortunately the once fun experience of flying in the U.S. has become miserable. I personally can only enjoy international flights, those are the only flights with vestiges of a time not too long ago where you weren't yelled at and kicked off an airplane by rude FA's for a bit of crying of a baby. so............. Yeah times have changed and most airlines in the U.S. are the same... lousy.

My four cents  Smile
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

ghillier

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:05 am

I am a Lifetime Platinum AAdvantage Member and I have sadly seen the decline of AA in many places in the past few years. Check out my MIA-EZE Horrible Flight Crew posting for further discussion of this. I can say that my experiences with Miami-based employees at the Ticket Counter, Gate, and Admiral's Club has been overwhelmingly negative. The only other Airport that I have had similar experiences with AA Employees is LAX. I usually encounter pleasant AA Employees at DFW and even JFK, and those at my home airports of Tulsa and Portland are great.

jetdeltamsy

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 am

they had a 5 minute dispute about whether or not I was allowed to board!

Drama. Drama. Drama. Your status is printed on your boarding pass (when issued by AA). If it failed to print, there may have been a question, but I find it very unlikely it took 5 minutes to resolve.

while on the plane I asked if I could have some water to take some pills with and the flight attendant flat out said no

Everyone needs "to take some medicine" when service is not being offered. it's a line heard every flight, every day. the wait didn't kill you. On time departures are paramount. If waiting the 20-30 minutes for the aircraft to reach a smooth, level altitude would cause you harm, you are too delicate to be traveling by air.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

AA767400

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:23 am

I was denied some salt and pepper for my tomato juice bc "you already got some with your [10$] salad, didn't you" - I was like: WTF?

You have to ask for bloody mary mix, or "spicey tomato juice". This request I get a lot from Europeans, and then I introduce to them bloody mary mix and they are happy campers. "Do you have pepper?" "No, even better!"

I think you were simply unlucky. I wish I had a nickel for every thread that began with "Rude 'insert your most hated carrier here' employee"

You got that right! Seems like there are a lot of these going around these days.

Those that think one airline is superior to another , in the USA, are clearly mislead.

My god, it's like we were separated at birth. Mislead is damn right.

Quoting Luvfa (Reply 31):
Even during taxi out I get someone some water if requested! I might not be able to do it that very moment, (if during the safety demo), but once I finish the demo, (provided we aren't immediately cleard for departure), I will get them water. When I was doing re-current training at a previous airline the instructor told us that water can be considered a low-level act of 1st Aid, therefore exempt from Safety Realated Duties Rule during Taxi!

But for the rest of the working Flight Attendants in America they "try" to go by the rules and have never heard such comments from an instructor. In the end, it is just easier to give them the glass of water I find. Keeps the campers happy, at least until the next interaction. Lol.
"The low fares airline."

S12PPL

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 am

I get the feeling you aren't giving us the entire story. I have never seen an employee of ANY company, airline or otherwise, just blurt out that a customer was a waste of their valuable time.

Perhaps there was more to that exchange than you are letting on?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

rbirtel

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:39 am

I also had a very bad experience with AA employees... Flying from LAX to MIA and the result was: I lost my flight. AA did not pay nothing. I wrote on AA home page but until now I did not receive any answer.

fllcontinental
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 40):
Everyone needs "to take some medicine" when service is not being offered

I'm sorry if you are spoiled enough to have to request water when there is no service, but I do know that there was no service at that time and I DO have medicine I need to take at certain times and it must be done on the hour. You know some people don't have perfect health like you!

rwylie77

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:12 am

I have just had a terrible experience with AA. I have AAdvantage Gold status and have just flown STL - LHR via ORD. The FA on our Chicago to London leg was juat dreadful - she made us feel as though we were just in her way all through the flight. On a number of occasions I was made to feel like a school boy being told off by a teacher - the tone and language was just dreadful. On BA and Virgin, even in economy they make you feel like a 1st class passenger - on AA you feel as though you are in their way and preventing them from getting their job done. I have 3 more trans-Atlantic flights with them booked for the next 4 months - after that, I will be spending my $20,000 per year I am currently spending on moving my family and I around elsewhere. Thats a lot of money over the next 10+ years, when they could have provided me something costing the airline NOTHING. A smile and politeness.

bhmbaglock

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:23 am

Was I unlucky or is this common?

If you're really Platinum, you should be qualified to answer this question on your own.

Personally, I've had great experiences on AA for the most part. Last week I had nothing but good service in BHM, DFW, and DEN as well as in the air. Several employees actually went above and beyond what would reasonably be expected particularly the CSR in DEN on my return.
Where are all of my respected members going?

jetdeltamsy

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting Fllcontinental (Reply 44):
but I do know that there was no service at that time and I DO have medicine I need to take at certain times and it must be done on the hour. You know some people don't have perfect health like you!

So be an adult, take responsiblity for yourself and get some water, either in a cup or a bottle, before you board the aircraft.

The airline is in business to transport you, not to make sure you take your medicine on time. That's entirely your problem and you are responsible to work out the details.

Ugh. Whiners everywhere.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

mirrodie

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 30):
MIA is my home airport and I go through there quite often (I am Platinum on AA and average one roundtrip every 3 or 4 weeks).

I truly don't understand all these negative comments about AA in general and AA at MIA in particular. I've never had a bad experience with the people working at MIA --- or any of the AA flight attendants.

Me neither. PLus there are 2 distinct ridiculous accusations here: one is that AA employees stink and 2. is that employees at MIA stink. Both are simply BS arguements, especially #2. If AA employees at MIA stink, ALL ARILINES AT MIA will stink all the same! You are pooling form the same working population.

Nonetheless, it's all BS posting.

Quoting N62NA (Reply 30):
f you smile, say "good morning / afternoon / evening" or just a simple "hi" as you board the plane, I have found that often the flight attendants remember you and you get a little extra attention

Exactly. To take that a step further, if you carry that out in all aspects of life, you'll be surprised how smooth life goes.

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 38):
where you weren't yelled at and kicked off an airplane by rude FA's for a bit of crying of a baby.

Yeah that was crazy, huh? What airline was that? I was just listening to a radio show about that. That FA ought to be brought up on charges.

Quoting Skyguy (Reply 34):
As for AA, their MIA hub is notorious for the poor quality of employees generally working there

As I said, then all airline employees at MIA must be of poor quality, according to the posts above. Sheer nonsense.

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 41):
Those that think one airline is superior to another , in the USA, are clearly mislead.

My god, it's like we were separated at birth. Mislead is damn right.

Sorry, I meant to say misled. You get my point though. Love flying internationally, loathe domestic US transport.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 42):
Perhaps there was more to that exchange than you are letting on?

Bet you there is but instead of addressing your question, the OP is still whining about water.

Quoting Rwylie77 (Reply 45):
On a number of occasions I was made to feel like a school boy being told off by a teacher - the tone and language was just dreadful

Quoting Rwylie77 (Reply 45):
I have 3 more trans-Atlantic flights with them booked for the next 4 months

Rwylie77, I apologize but I am not attacking you. If what you said was true, where was your backbone? Why didn't you simply stand up and tell the FA you weren't about to stand for her shit? Tell you her demand a basic amount of respect out of the business you provide which in turn puts food on her plate and pays her rent.

I'll tell you, I haven't had an episode yet but I guarantee you that if some FA even gives the slightest tinge of attitude my way, my response is "Who do you think you are talking to? I am giving you business and I expect some courtesy and a basic amount of respect from you." It's simple, makes the point and is not a threat, so some FA can't play that card.

It's your money, get what you deserve. That's not putting the flight crew in danger. Standing up to an FA about something as basic as manners is your right as a consumer.

You know what the problem is? Since 9-11, we've turned to lemmings here. Travel stinks and we put up with the nonsense. Landing a plane because of a screaming toddler? C'mon now. Some serious events will soon take place and consumers will rise up. And to bitch and whine that its AA or DL or name your hated airway is just ridiculous.

I predicted this ages ago, but one of these days when those planes are stranded on the tarmac for ridiculous hours, I am awaiting the news report that says someone went apeshit, opened the door and ran out across the tarmac in complete desperation.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

cygnuschicago

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 am

Most of them are frustrated with their jobs, and don't really care.

This is one of the reasons we need to start letting airlines fail in this country. Granted, AA has not yet been through banckruptcy court, but many competitors have, and the attitude of their attitude is still just as much of an embarrassment as before. Unionization has ruined the airline industry in this country. All banckrutpcy court does is help the union survive, and upset the employees more.

In my opinion, if we limited the repeated trips to banckruptcy, the successors of UA, NW, US, DL would all largely be rid of the unions and unsustainable pension costs. They'd able to get back to what they're supposed to be doing - which is transporting people in a timely manner, as opposed to what they're doing now, which is making union bosses rich.
If you cannot do the math, your opinion means squat!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos