Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N1120A

RE: Mesa Air Pilot Steals Pax IPod At Security!

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 12):

But when you admit guilt when found... you pass up all rights. You will still get your day in court, but theres no way you plead "NOT GUILTY".

Wrong

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 13):
'Due process' means he keeps his rights to explain to a judge in a court of law, and while waiting, sit in a cell for up to 3 days.

1) The County of Riverside standard is no more than 48 hours. 2) You can sit in jail for up to 60 days on a felony and 45 days on a misdemeanor in Louisiana without the DA even accepting the charges if you can't make bail.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 18):

People are arrested every minute for misdemeanour charges. Tickets are usually for infractions, not misdemeanours, as in traffic violations.

Actually, tickets are often given for misdemeanors and serve as the court summons

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 43):
I'd call that proven guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law. That last part is the most important

Quoting Analog (Reply 22):

And, as I said earlier, it seems that stealing an iPod could be a felony in Florida.

Depends on how much it is worth. If it is my older 20gb model, no. If it is a brand new one, maybe. The magic number is a value of $300 or more.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bond007

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 50):
Actually, tickets are often given for misdemeanors and serve as the court summons

Yes, sure. Just trying to clear up the comments that misdemeanours get nothing but a ticket... which simply isn't true. People are locked up for misdemeanours, and some are just given tickets. Infractions almost always just a ticket.

Depends on how much it is worth. If it is my older 20gb model, no. If it is a brand new one, maybe. The magic number is a value of $300 or more.

Right, but again, felony or not, he could (or should) have been handcuffed and taken to jail IMO.

Quoting Salukipilot (Reply 47):
Had the kid been paid what he should have for flying 50 greedy people around he wouldnt have had the heed to steal an Ipod.

Please, where the heck are we going on this? We can't blame society, so we blame his employer?? What a ridiculous statement. The guy committed a crime ... period. May I suggest if he thinks his job is paying bad, and it's driving him to crime ... he gets another damn job. In fact, I bet he wishes he got a new job last week, coz his days are numbered at Mesa, and probably any other airline.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

DeltaGuy

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 16):
Is the pay at Mesa that bad?

Yes. Many of their pilots could qualify for food stamps. Morale low, leadership stinks, I'm sure this guy is on the edge of the line with this company....

Funny it happened in Jacksonville too. A few of their "police" are real idiots so I'm sure a few of them had a field day with this one.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Skydogs

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:36 pm

KaiGywer

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 18):

Do you really think if you went into Best Buy, stole an IPOD, ran out of the door, got caught by a police officer ... they'd write you a ticket and send you on your way?

Most likely.

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 34):
You certainly seem to be defending the fact this guy committed a crime. Misdemeanor or not, it's STILL a crime. I certainly hope the police follow through with this and the iPod owner files charges. Just because the guy is a pilot does give him the right to be above the law.

I agree with Royal here. The guy isn't above the law, but he doesn't need to go to jail.

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 34):
Don't let your moderator status go to your head there Click.

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 15):
AIRLINERS.NET CREW
PHOTO SCREENER

I think you missed something here..

The magic number is a value of $300 or more.

Depending on the state of course. Here in Minnesota, it is $251 or higher.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 51):

Right, but again, felony or not, he could (or should) have been handcuffed and taken to jail IMO.

Jails are overcrowded, police understaffed. Taking somebody to jail for a simple theft is a waste of resources. Write a ticket, and if he doesn't appear in court on his assigned date, issue a warrant for him.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

SkyyMaster

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 54):
I agree with Royal here. The guy isn't above the law, but he doesn't need to go to jail.

The pilot should have been ticketed, or treated like any other person in accordance with Florida law. If it had been a pax, do you think the cops would have just shrugged and said "ok, your flight is late, go ahead and board". Not at all likely. It doesn't really matter what the guy gets paid by Mesa. The bottom line is he is dishonest. If he would steal an iPod from security, what's to say he would not skirt in-flight operating procedures to suit his whims at the time? As another poster said, he was probably rattled after the cops asked him to deboard the plane and was caught with stolen goods. That, IMO, is a safety issue. I also believe in due process, and I am a self professed die hard bleeding heart liberal. It still does not negate the fact the pilot committed a crime, and it should be pursued. It's that simple. Defend this slimeball all you want, it still does not make it right.

bond007

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 55):
If it had been a pax, do you think the cops would have just shrugged and said "ok, your flight is late, go ahead and board". Not at all likely.

Correct, my point exactly.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

clickhappy

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:38 am

The pilot should have been ticketed, or treated like any other person in accordance with Florida law

Do we know if he was, or wasn't ticketed? He absoultely should have been treated like anyone else.

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 46):
YOUR belongings, is a one-of-a-kind Andrew Klein AeroClassics 1:400 model

Hahahahaha that is some funny 5H17! Nice one Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

KaiGywer

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:54 am

The pilot should have been ticketed, or treated like any other person in accordance with Florida law

Agreed

Defend this slimeball all you want, it still does not make it right.

I'm not defending him at all, just saying that jail is not appropriate for a minor theft. He should have gotten a ticket though, but it said the victim didn't want to file charges, so that's probably why.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

access-air

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 31):
TSA with iPod stories.

Almost had a Nano yoinked a few summers ago at LAX.

I had the Nano in a clear case and they 'had' to run it through their machine no less than 4 times!

I put my shoes back on and some TSA nublet told me to have a nice day as I was standing their waiting...

I then raised my voice and asked for the iPod back. He laughed quietly and said sorry, after retrieving it from behind their screening desk.

I didn't bother to file a complaint.

Why the heck not???????????????? I would have and I would have stayed until I had satisfaction from the Screener In Charge or the manager had repirmanded the screener...No Excuse... You let him get away with it and he probably did it to someone else that day.....

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 44):
On a side note, and I DO NOT CONDONE WHAT HE DID WHAT-SO-EVER, if Mesa paid their pilots an above poverty salary he may have been able to just buy one! I am surprised they let him fly, but if they didn't that would be punishing the other passengers as well.

Oh puhleeeez........I make less than a Mesa Pilot but that doesnt give me justification to go around stealing other people's property...Just because you are barely scraping by doesnt entitle you to take possesion of anything you find that you want, especially when you have the balls to steal it right from under the person's nose.....

Where are the morals that are supposedly instilled in all of us as children by our parents????

Good Gravy.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

bcoz

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:11 am

What's the line from Airport '77 when Don Gallagher (Jack Lemmon) says, "I'm a pilot! The symbol of strength and security!"

This guy....not so much...

Regardless of what law enforcement did, I still maintain (see my question related to this earlier) that somebody from the company should have stepped in and pulled that guy off the plane. Even if it took a call to the chief pilot or the CEO. Re-accomodating the passengers makes more customer service sense to me than sending out an aircraft with a guy at the controls who just admitted to stealing (felonious or otherwise).

bcoz

remcor

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 15):
Quoting Analog (Reply 10):
That isn't true. For a misdemeanor they write you a ticket and you go to court. If it is a felony you would be arrested and have to go before a judge, who would most likely release you without bail. They guy stole an iPod, he didn't murder someone or get caught with a bunch of drugs.

That's not quite correct. The Supreme Court ruled a few years ago that police even have the right to jail you for a non-jailable offense. A policeman in Texas put a mother in jail for driving her young child without a car-seat, even though the punishment for this offense does not include jail. For some stupid reason the Supreme Court upheld the police officer's decision.

What I don't like about this is that it's so arbitrary. The police officer in this case let this pilot go free, while another police officer, in theory, could haul your ass to jail for spitting on the street.

positiverate

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 44):
On a side note, and I DO NOT CONDONE WHAT HE DID WHAT-SO-EVER, if Mesa paid their pilots an above poverty salary he may have been able to just buy one! I am surprised they let him fly, but if they didn't that would be punishing the other passengers as well.

So if he walked up to a passenger, and committed a bodily offense that was a misdemeanor (i.e. slapped him/her), should he still have been allowed to fly so as not to "punish the other passengers as well?"

You may not condone it...but you're making excuses for it.

N1120A

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:02 am

Here is a question. Has this guy ever done this before?

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 51):

Right, but again, felony or not, he could (or should) have been handcuffed and taken to jail

That was a discretionary action by the police officers.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 54):

Depending on the state of course.

We were talking about Florida, not Minnesota.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

georgebush

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 62):
So if he walked up to a passenger, and committed a bodily offense that was a misdemeanor (i.e. slapped him/her), should he still have been allowed to fly so as not to "punish the other passengers as well?"

This is a completely different senario. If he had commited assault (a felony) then by all means cuff him and stuff him, and I would be sure the passengers would be in understanding with that situation. But because he stole an ipod which was completely wrong, and he should be punished for, thats not quite serious enough to cancel a flight over. Law enforcement made the right desicion. I'm sure that prick got what was coming to him after he landed that plane.
Al Gore invented global warming.

SkyyMaster

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 63):
Here is a question. Has this guy ever done this before?

Irrelevant. Theft is theft is theft. He got preferential treatment because he was an airline pilot. He was caught red handed with a lame excuse about TSA regulations. He just wanted a free iPod. As I said before, had this been a passenger, it would have been ugly.

positiverate

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 64):
This is a completely different senario. If he had commited assault (a felony) then by all means cuff him and stuff him, and I would be sure the passengers would be in understanding with that situation.

No, it isn't a "completely different scenario". Assault is typically treated as a misdemeanor and not as a felony. Check any state statute.

Again, there is no good reason this guy should have been allowed to fly (especially since he shows such poor judgement outside the cockpit, I wonder what he is like inside the cockpit), and no reason to continue to make excuses for him.

jhooper

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 65):
He was caught red handed with a lame excuse about TSA regulations.

Doesn't the idiot know you're on cadid camera just about anywhere in an airport, and definitely at the checkpoint? If not, I don't think I want to be riding behind the guy on a jet.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

georgebush

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 66):
No, it isn't a "completely different scenario". Assault is typically treated as a misdemeanor and not as a felony. Check any state statute.

Again, there is no good reason this guy should have been allowed to fly (especially since he shows such poor judgement outside the cockpit, I wonder what he is like inside the cockpit), and no reason to continue to make excuses for him.

Don't care.

Stealing an ipod is not as bad as attacking someone. He was still allowed to fly the plane so that the other passengers wouldnt have to suffer for his lack of judgement. What if you were sitting on that flight and the announcement was made that the flight was cancelled due to a flight crewmember stealing an ipod? I dont care what state you live in or what your statutes say, bottom line the authorities made the right desicion by allowing him to serve his customers.
Al Gore invented global warming.

We're Nuts

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 16):
Is the pay at Mesa that bad?

FO's start at $18 something an hour.
Dear moderators: No.