Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PC12Fan
Topic Author

Schematic Of Future STL Terminal?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 am

Not too long ago, someone posted a schematic of an airfield layout of STL which included a future terminal on the west side of the field, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Never been able to master the search. As you can tell, I wouldn't mind having a copy of that schematic - whoever your are!!!   

Thanks!

[Edited 2007-07-17 21:29:11]
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

BatonOps

RE: Schematic Of Suture STL Terminal?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:24 am

How about you correct your title from 'suture' to future???

PC12Fan
Topic Author

RE: Schematic Of Future STL Terminal?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting BatonOps (Reply 1):
How about you correct your title from 'suture' to future???

Oooo, that's gonna leave a mark!  blush 

LambertMan

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:59 am

Gavin has it, I'm sure he'll post it for you when he sees this.

ultrapig

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:24 am

No I think you had it right-It will be a suture because there is no new terminal in the future for STL

rdwelch

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 am

Wasn't the latest terminal for WN a couple of years ago?

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

boeing743

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:07 am

Yes, the STL build the terminal E for WN to use. They currently use 8 gates there. The STL are not going to making a new terminal since B are almost empty and D are not currently using by any airlines

moman

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Ultrapig (Reply 4):
No I think you had it right-It will be a suture because there is no new terminal in the future for STL

There is, but as of now it's just a pipe dream. There were long range plans for a new terminal to the northwest of the current terminal, but with all the changes to the departure lounges and parking garage, it's not going to happen for a long time.

I'll scan and upload the pics I took of the drawings last week.
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

PC12Fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:08 am

The one drawing I was referring to was to be between runway 12R/30L and 11/29. Basically, where the airfield maintenance facility currently is.

ExpressJet_ERJ

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Just because a terminal isnt used doesnt mean that they do not need a new one. The STL terminal is in aweful shape with the exception of the E. I agree that there will most likely not be a new one any time soon, but it is needed. Look up W1W on google, that was the original name of the runway expansion, maybe you can find an archive of the proposed terminal.
ETOPS...Engines Turn Or People Swim

BHMNONREV

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:26 pm

It has been posted here in the past by flyboy84, a 60-gate terminal which was designed for TWA back in the late-90's when all of the W-1W expansion was taking place. I will try to see if I can find it in the archives...

BHMNONREV

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Here's the file, although it loads a little slow. Compliments of Flyboy84

http://www.tisp.org/files/isbe2004/panel_2b/griggs.pdf

Although STL needs new facilities I'm not sure of the viability of this option...

PC12Fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 11):

Thanks guys. Just wish the map could be blown up better. I'll take what I can get!  present 

FlyBoy84

Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:53 am

I'M of the mind that SINCE we're STUCK with STL...the LEAST they could do is NOT ADD ON to, but REPLACE the CURRENT facilities.

If the city is so bent on keeping the historic terminal...at least STRIP OFF ALL THE CURRENT airsides (A-D) and replace them with a linear building. It would have fewer gates, but would be more in line with the level of service we have with the airlines today. I believe that SOMEONE did a VERY GOOD basic drawing that followed my thoughts EXACTLY (AS IF the person had READ MY MIND Wow!) And if AA would complain about having more of a shared facility, with ALL airlines basically in the same airside, then the city could say, "we'll build you something when you give us a level of service that JUSTIFIES it!"

If the need would arise, they could always build and additional airside according to the scheme in the PDF, on the west side of the airfield.

BHMNONREV

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting FlyBoy84 (Reply 13):
I believe that SOMEONE did a VERY GOOD basic drawing that followed my thoughts EXACTLY (AS IF the person had READ MY MIND )

I believe that was me sir...  Big grin

That was a rough sketch of something I had seen back in the 90's, but was never able to find it again on the internet anywhere. It was associated more along the lines of a what-if scenario, if TWA went belly up. It would have been constructed in phases, to allow for the gradual tear-down of the concourses with an initial 40-50 gates, expandable up to 100 if needed. Most of the existing landside would have remained, with airside seeing a complete revamp.

The illustrator had several other depictions as well, a 4 parallel runway operation at Lambert with two runways south of I-70, with two separate terminals, a north and a south. And an expanded plan for BLV if Lambert ever shut down. It would have included the same 4 parallels with an 80 gate midfield facility, something closely resembling PIT with the "X" shaped airside design...

PC12Fan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 14):
The illustrator had several other depictions as well, a 4 parallel runway operation at Lambert with two runways south of I-70, with two separate terminals, a north and a south. And an expanded plan for BLV if Lambert ever shut down. It would have included the same 4 parallels with an 80 gate midfield facility, something closely resembling PIT with the "X" shaped airside design...

Ooo, you don't happen to have those handy, would ya?

FlyBoy84

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 15):
Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 14):

Ooo, you don't happen to have those handy, would ya?

Yes, yes...I am WAITING WITH BATED BREATH for this   Funny, but I always saw BLV with more of the DEN or ATL style rather than the "X" since BLV would've been well suited to having take-offs and landings on separate sides of the field and all traffic moving in one direction between the 2-3 airsides.

More on topic , I remember that the old F-4 plan had an "X" shaped airside west of the current A Gates while the landside looked like ORD T-1B. the problem with it was that those buildings sat partially in the RPZ   What    planning THAT was!

[Edited 2007-07-19 16:20:42]

stlgph

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 11):

That would be the one that I have, yes.

However, it should be noted that this was the plan following the construction of the new runway. This plan is basically null and void, since TWA is gone.

Eventually the facilities will date themselves down and will need to be replaced. As I've mentioned before, it would make the most sense to tear down the D Concourse, and continue what they started with the East Terminal and head northwest with it.

Of course, with the main terminal for New York La Guardia still operating today, this is a loonnnnnnnnnnnng time away.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos