UAL777UK
Topic Author

AZ: Looks Like Liquidation Is Going To Happen

Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm

THe Italian Government has confirmed what most people already think is the most viable option that that the Airline be liquidated.

A very sad affair but without a savour in sight it looks like game over. Hopefully a new Alitalia will rise from the ashes and prosper in the future.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1184840548.html

IAD380

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 pm

What a pity! Another legacy carrier with a proud history is about to liquidate. It reminds me of PA. If this actually happens, what airline is likely to replace AZ as the primary international carrier for Italy?

Revelation

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 pm

There's too many good markets there for it to not get reborn after the liquidation. Let's just hope the government doesn't get involved in the reborn venture!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):
Let's just hope the government doesn't get involved in the reborn venture!

Amen to that!

TSS

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm

What aircraft do AZ have and which airlines could get or would want them?

Are any ex-AZ birds likely to come to the US?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

bastew

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 3):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):
Let's just hope the government doesn't get involved in the reborn venture!

Amen to that!

I hope so too. But Alitalia is such a political issue in Italy. Any popularity the government loses due to the liquidation of Alitalia they will want to regain with the birth of a new one.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 pm

We've heard this song and dance before. I'll believe it when I read the headstone.

Quoting IAD380 (Reply 1):
Another legacy carrier with a proud history is about to liquidate

Proud? More like "embarassing".

"Making Alitalia attractive to an investor seems more difficult than we thought."
Here's a thought...drop the bloody restrictions that make selling AZ impossible!
E pur si muove -Galileo

macc

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
rop the bloody restrictions that make selling AZ impossible!

and that will be the next step. before they reall liquidate, they will lower their restrictions, and you will see that SU, AF, LH and many others willl be back into the bidding game again.

by the way, there is another thread about this already going on....
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

Burkhard

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 4):
What aircraft do AZ have and which airlines could get or would want them?

Are any ex-AZ birds likely to come to the US?

Still quite some MD80. If they come to the US, maybe to Mojave? ( Bad yoke, I agree )

Airbus 319,320,321 will find costumors, same for the Embraer 170 and the 777s.

Some 767, MD11 cargo only (not sure if all are converted).

cloudyapple

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 pm

Nobody Wants Alitalia (by F.pier Jul 17 2007 in Civil Aviation)
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

adicool

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:24 pm

I don't really think that LH, SU and AF/KL (though with them, you never know...i.d. IB) are interested anymore in taking over AZ, the airlines just doesn't seem to be profitable anymore respectivly it would take huge amounts in order to renew the fleet and the whole company spirte...

kl911

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:49 pm

Perfect! Just way to late. This whole story has cost the average tax payer way too much money.

Let AP run the domestic schedules and for International routes you can always transfer at the hubs of one of the alliances

KL911

Vasu

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting KL911 (Reply 11):

Can't imagine the latter happening in the long run... maybe for the time being, but I do think Italy will need a long-haul airline.

Maybe Air Italy? They've just started playing with scheduled flights... and their name sounds quite good as a flag carrier! Only a thought...

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:53 am

Bring on Air One to pick up the pieces. They appear to be getting some long haul aircraft, maybe as a result of pulling out of the purchase. They see AZ going under and will maybe cherry pick the assets, and enter big time into the long haul game........then we could see them in the *A......perfect....well...if only life were that simple..we'll see!

dl767captain

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:57 am

What was so bad/wrong with Alitalia?

OOer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:59 am

Any chance DL could pick up some 767s or 777?

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:00 am

Can't the Pope buy it off?  laughing 

I am sure the Vatican must have some sort of financial organizations. They own so much real estate all over the world so can't they buy an airline?

He would then have his own airline and at the same time do a good deed by saving Alitalia.  idea 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FLYGUY767

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 13):
Bring on Air One to pick up the pieces. They appear to be getting some long haul aircraft, maybe as a result of pulling out of the purchase. They see AZ going under and will maybe cherry pick the assets, and enter big time into the long haul game........then we could see them in the *A......perfect....well...if only life were that simple..we'll see!

Problem is that the assets of Alitalia are very few and inbetween.

The only slots of value at Alitalia are the following:

13 Slots at Heathrow
10 Slots at Narita

The only routes of value at Alitalia are the following:

Buenos Aires
Miami
Newark
New York
Sao Paulo
Shanghai
Tokyo

The equipment of value at Alitalia are the following:

B777-200
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for United, Delta, or Continental

B767-300
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for United, Delta, or American

A321
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for Air France, Lufthansa, or Iberia

A320
How many are leased?

A319
How many are leased?

MD-11CF
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for Lufthansa Cargo, UPS, or FedEx

MD-80
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for ?

ERJ
How many are leased?

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 am

They go from Milano to Osaka KIX too, don't they?  Embarrassment

FLYGUY767

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 16):
Can't the Pope buy it off?

I think even the Pope has flown on other airlines in recent years. If I am correct he used TWA in the late 1990's? Also notice that the Pope has been using an Alitalia 767-300 lately, and an Alitalia A319 lately vs the usual Alitalia 747(in years past), and 777.

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:30 am

The former Pope flew on Concorde a couple of times. He even had one AF Concorde chartered on his visits to the islands of the Indian Ocean. The current Pope might have accompanied him on these filghts, I am not sure.

I will have to see if I can find the pictures.

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 19):

I think even the Pope has flown on other airlines in recent years.

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:31 am

This is as much the Unions' fault as it is the Government's.

Also - not wishing to appear a little sticky, but can we stop sizing up AZ's assets while they are still alive please? Show some respect.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:34 am

I hope they will come to a solution so LH can save Alitalia, maybe the same kind of deal they made with defunct SwissAir.

aerohottie

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 14):
What was so bad/wrong with Alitalia?

What was right/good with Alitalia?
What?

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 22):
I hope they will come to a solution so LH can save Alitalia, maybe the same kind of deal they made with defunct SwissAir.

There are some monopoly concerns here, but I think LH would be most likely of the European majors likely to bid to actually make a bid fly.

The issue is that the company is vastly over-employed and bureaucratic, and attempts to reduce costs by workforce cuts and also cuts of unprofitable routes have been met with cripplingly expensive industrial action.

In theory, the AZ business plan is a very good one - Three big self-supporting hubs (LIN, MXP, and FCO) and a Skyteam-backed European network, a very large and impressive cargo network, and some genuine cashcow routes ex Italian cities to East Coast US. A fleet that includes modern Airbus narrowbodies and 777 widebodies, and a decent premium class offering.

The problem is, with the constant industrial action, unbelievable bureaucracy, and poor staff morale, it cannot compete and is haemorraging cash because it cannot or will not adapt.

Anyone coming in to re-organise the company will almost certainly let the whole thing die and liquidate with court rulings stating that it has no obligations to anyone associated with the old AZ, and then rebuilding it using a fraction of the staff and routes. Return the costly leases and re-negotiate them. Implement radical new airport/airline/union interface relations, and rebuild slowly. Improve the premium class offerings so as to be in line with those offered by other SkyTeam carriers, and allign AZ Cargo with a larger alliance such as WOW so that the bellyhold capability of the AZ fleet can be utilised more effiiciently.

Sounds easy, but I dont envy whoever takes them on - the Unions will make it tremendously hard.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

WA707atMSP

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 19):
I think even the Pope has flown on other airlines in recent years. If I am correct he used TWA in the late 1990's? Also notice that the Pope has been using an Alitalia 767-300 lately, and an Alitalia A319 lately vs the usual Alitalia 747(in years past), and 777.

Traditionally, the Pope takes Alitalia from Italy to whichever country he is visiting, and returns to Italy on an airline from the country he's visited. That way, both Alitalia and an airline from his destination can have the honor of saying they flew the Pope.

All of the Pope's trips from the US to Italy were on TWA, except for one trip in the mid 1990s when he took AA.

In the early 1980s, when Pope John Paul II made the first visit by a Pope to England in hundreds of years, he flew home on British Caledonian, not BA.

Viscount724

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 22):
I hope they will come to a solution so LH can save Alitalia, maybe the same kind of deal they made with defunct Swissair.

LH had no involvement when Swiss was created to replace the bankrupt Swissair. LX was built on the foundation of Swissair's former regional subsidiary, Crossair, and source of the LX code. LH's involvement in LX is more recent.

When Sabena finally went under, their replacement SN Brussels (now Brussels Airlines) was built on the base of their former regional subsidiary, Delta Air Transport, that operated many shorthaul SN routes in SN livery.

In any case, if AZ does shut down, it will be sad to see yet another carrier with a long and proud history disappear.

LTU932

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 17):
B777-200
How many are leased?

Remove UA and DL off the list. Those T7s are GE90 powered, which leaves only CO as a possible candidate for acquiring them (at least in the US).

B767-300
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for United, Delta, or American

Remove UA from that list because AFAIK AZ operates CF6-80 powered 767s.

MD-11CF
How many are leased?
-Potential future use for Lufthansa Cargo, UPS, or FedEx

Those are combis with rear side cargo doors that received full freighter conversion. And I believe AZ's full PAX MD-11s were converted to the same specifications of the freighter converted combis. The rear side cargo door will make them hard to sell, so I don't see any future for them. The owner of the MD-11Cs tried to sell them to LCAG, but LH refused to buy them because of the rear side cargo door and the asociated loading problems because of the MD-11 being very tailheavy as it is, though I believe LCAG does have one or two AZ MD-11 PAX in service (converted to standard freighter configuration, with the front side cargo door). I also have my doubts about FX and 5X being possible candidates for acquiring those MD-11Cs.

MD-80
How many are leased?

JK could take up a few of them, but I reckon most of them will end up in storage.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

copaair737

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 am

I hope they don't liquidate...I do think someone will come in and purchase them.
LH or AF I'm guessing.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

adicool

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:37 am

I don't really think LH will take them. I mean, LH have so much going right now with the possible take over of IB by AF/KL which they will try to prevent no matter what and maybe the take over of BD later this year. I don't know if LH are actually interested in AZ, especially since they have already some agreements with AP. I see LH rather pushing AP, making it a *A-member than buying AZ. LH are really concerned about their Latin American market and they try to fix this problem by buying into IB. Italy is pretty well covered and besides this, most of the routes AZ have, LH also serve, so there is no real interest for them there (my two cents of course). Does anyone know if a lot of Italian pax use LH and hence FRA and MUC as a gate away to the USA for example?

I think AZ will become of what's left over after IB have been sold so some airline. As sad as it sounds but AZ is, compared to IB and BD, the least attractive airline right now and it will require quit some energy and money above all to make it into a profitable company (especially the renewal of the fleet).

LHRBlueSkies

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:43 am

AZ - ruined by inept management and unions refusing to accept the reality of the situation.

They will be 'shut down' and rebirthed phoenix-style (Hey, new name - Italian Phoenix?!) as the Eu won't allow som many job losses, although I am sure some blood will flow.

As for service...or Servizi...ha! Unreliable, poor customer service, AZ are the FIAT of aviation! Don't want to see them go under, but they need a kick up the culo like AF got, and TP...and SR (LX)....
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

Comeflywithme

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 30):
AZ - ruined by inept management and unions refusing to accept the reality of the situation.

Couldn't agree more.

Best thing is to liquidate and start again. Employing new staff and management with the right attitude under profit making terms and conditions.

LHRBlueSkies

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Comeflywithme (Reply 31):
Best thing is to liquidate and start again. Employing new staff and management with the right attitude under profit making terms and conditions.

That's a good start!

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 13):
Bring on Air One to pick up the pieces.

Exactly!

If the unions are able to see the wood for the trees, then let Air One take over, and let's see how good the combined company becomes, once the waste has been cut from the bones. Air One do intra-european, and Alitalia feed from their revised and rejuvinated long-haul routes.

Ain't gonna happen tho...the government will bail them out (subject to EU rules) and they will keep lurching from crisis to strike to crisis! Molto bene!
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:36 am

I like "kick up the culo".  laughing 
This is exactly what they need.

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 30):
they need a kick up the culo

adicool

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):
they need a kick up the culo

pero a la bestia...

silentbob

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 16):
I am sure the Vatican must have some sort of financial organizations. They own so much real estate all over the world so can't they buy an airline?

According to various reports, organized crime in Italy managed to gain control of the Vatican finances and drained the vast majority of the catholic church's cash reserves. Yes, they still own the property all over the world but mortgaging it on a large scale would attract a lot of scrutiny.

HT

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 27):
Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 17):B777-200
How many are leased?
Remove UA and DL off the list. Those T7s are GE90 powered, which leaves only CO as a possible candidate for acquiring them (at least in the US).

www.planespotters.net list 4 of AZ's B777-243ER with Irish reg', the other 6 with Italian reg. The Irish one should be leased without no doubt, no clue on the Italy-registered ones.

B763's ER, with different customer codes. 7 are registered in Ireland, 6 in Italy
MD11F: 5 listed, all on Irish register.
A321-112: 23 - all Italy
A320:-214: 11- all Italy
A319-112: 12 - all Italy
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

LTU932

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting HT (Reply 36):
MD11F: 5 listed, all on Irish register.

Not long ago, those MD-11s were still in the Italian Registar. They were re-registed fairly recently.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:19 am

This is very bad news... How come the E.U. allows all this to happen? Can't they have this under control?

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 35):
According to various reports, organized crime in Italy managed to gain control of the Vatican finances and drained the vast majority of the catholic church's cash reserves.

Would probably be better for Alitalia to fall into foreign hands.

galapagapop

RE: AZ: Looks Like Liquidation Is Going To Happen

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 am

how old is the oldest MD80 A/C in the AZ fleet?

rtfm

RE: AZ: Looks LIke Liquidation Is Going To Happen

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
How come the E.U. allows all this to happen? Can't they have this under control?

The EU 'allows this to happen'..? What would you suggest they should have done? Give AZ more (of your) taxpayer's money?

Time to let the sick dog die.... Along with many other commentators on this subject, I have no personal animosity towards AZ staff but this is a bad airline with a poor history of financial management and with a terrible history of industrial relations that has been artificially sustained for too long. The world has moved on... the industry has moved on.... enough already....

HT

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 39):
how old is the oldest MD80 A/C in the AZ fleet?

MD82 I-DAWA l/n 1126 completed on 19-OCT-1983
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

curlyheadboy

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:49 am

Ehi guys, I red the international news about this issue, but it seems they didn't get it straight. The fact is AZ is not yet going to be liquidated, the government has yet to decide whether or not to chenge the selling options. To make it as short as possible: there are some possible customers for the company, but all of them (rightfully) refused the proposed deal which doesn't allow a radical restructuring plan. So there are 2 otions left:

1) the government concedes a fair deal to possible customers and let them proceed to major job cuts, and get the unions seriously pissed, facing rallies, strikes and so on.

2) The government liquidates AZ and story over, everybody lose his job and they face whatever consequences may come out.

In both cases its a pain in the a$$ for the government that is struggling to keep all the parties toghether, especially the extreme-left side of their coalition that pushes for no job cuts.
However, if AZ will be sold the most likely customer would be AP, together with some banks, if AZ will be liquidated, the valuable aircraft (a32x series, EMBs, an 777s) will be sold and the leased ones will be returned to the leasing companies.
As for the market, other Italian airlines, that haven't been able to compete with AZ fairly, due to the neverending govenment loans, will fill the gap. AirOne, Meridiana, Volare group (althou they went bankrupt non so long ago).
The only valuable asset left of AZ, its brand, could likely be resuscitated.
Anyway, as an Italian taxpayer and airline customer, I can't wait to see that taxpayermoney-sucking monster that AZ is, being wiped off the face of the airline industry. Sorry for you AZ lovers all over the world, but you guys don't pay for it, while I do.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

Airbus340

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:04 am

So you people that think Alitalia will fall (after reading http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1184840548.html ) when do you think it will happen? I have a flight reserved to fly to Toronto from BCN the end of August and coming back by mid-September. If Alitalia "sinks" before I go (or after I leave)what options would I have? Thanks

zvezda

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:04 am

I flew AZ today for the third time this month. The food is good, but the choices are few. The service is mediocre. The equipment is mediocre. The main problems are:
1) the rapacious unions, and
2) government interference, primarily in requiring that FCO be a major hub in addition to MXP.

AZ are losing 2M euro per day. Concentrating hub operations out of MXP might limit the losses to 1M euro per day, but that is a political no-no.

Short of making strikes illegal, liquidation is the best option.

worldtraveler

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:07 am

curly,
I hate to burst your bubble but AZ is toast. They are too far gone for any investor to be able to revive without government support which is illegal and which would not be given if the money had to be viewed as investment. AZ has been on death's doorstep for years; to think it can be turned around at this point is dreamy.

DL has at least 6 777LRs on order and they are powered by GE engines. I wouldn't rule out that DL could be interested in them. The marke for longrange widebody aircraft is very strong though so nothing is certain.

curlyheadboy

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 45):
curly,
I hate to burst your bubble but AZ is toast. They are too far gone for any investor to be able to revive without government support which is illegal and which would not be given if the money had to be viewed as investment. AZ has been on death's doorstep for years; to think it can be turned around at this point is dreamy.

Not bursting my bubble mate, couldn't agree more, yet the government still has the options to let an investor to rip the company apart and statt it back from the beginning, I know how trhings are going in Italy and this could happen. Though, my best wish is that AZ gets shut and those who have the ability and the money to run the airline business in Italy take over. They couldn't since now, simply because the game was unfair, AZ could afford whatever they wanted, there was always a government loan for them regardless they were profitable or not. This has got to stop and it must be now. I sincerely hope that this tragic-comic ordeal is over for good.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

zvezda

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am

Does anyone have a sense of how soon liquidation might occur?

Zone1

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:48 am

Remove UA and DL off the list. Those T7s are GE90 powered,

DL still might consider picking them up since they will be getting GE90 powered 777LRs starting in February. They might really consider them as interim lift for ATL-PVG before the new 777s come on board.
/// U N I T E D

tsaord

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:09 am

I have a question.

How can a countries primary carrier just stop operations? What about all the travelers? How long could it take for another carrier to start up?
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos