bastew
Topic Author

BA: OAG & Skytrax Airline Of The Year.....

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:05 am

.......but why don't they like to advertise the fact????

This year BA has been announced both OAG and SKYTRAX airline of the year. Although always a little sceptical of the SKYTRAX method, the OAG award is voted by frequent flyers so has some credence. All in all, a great achievemant for BA.

Anyway, winning the awards is old news. Everyone will have a different view on whether BA deserves these accolades or not, given their recent 'issues' (baggage delays, heathrow et al). I myself see the failings most trips i work and was a little suprised myself at the awards.

One thing I find unusual though is that BA just doesnt seem to want to advertise these wins. In fact so do many other BA staff who write in letters to BA news asking WHY BA isn't proud of their achievements? While other airlines seem to shout their '5 star rating' or winning 'airline of the year - as voted by residents of outer mongolia' BA doesn't want to even whisper it. Other airlines take out billboards, incorporate their awards into their advertising etc etc but not BA.....it's almost as if they don't want anyone to know!

Question is......given their operational difficulties of late are they right to be quiet or should they be standing tall and accepting the praise? Would it be good or bad for business?

comorin

RE: BA: OAG & Skytrax Airline Of The Year.....

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:12 am

Stiff Upper Lip. Only commoners like SRB toot their own horn. BA being Airline of the Year is not news, it's expected. But you're right, a lttle nod of the head or a wave to the great unwashed might cheer 'em up...

Sorry, I got caught up watching "The Queen' last night  Smile

AIR MALTA

Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:59 am

I have the feeling that BA is not a good at advertsing. I live in Austria and there's no BA advertisement whatsoever. People in the company never fly BA. They think it is very expensive (which is not alway true). All we hear about here are LX,KL,LH and off course OS and the other low cost airlines. A bit of advertisement would help.

On Sunday, I was reading a local newspaper where they compared flight ticket prices to London end of August. Of all airlines serving Vienna, BA was the cheapest but al lot of people would go and book Lauda/Air Berlin or Austrian with the lowest level of service and higher fares.

Quoting BAStew (Thread starter):
.......but why don't they like to advertise the fact????

And yes, I really do not know what they don't advertise that. They used to do it before.
And BAStew, I find BA cabin crews among the best. They're cheerful and full of life. So well done!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Baexecutive

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 2):
I have the feeling that BA is not a good at advertsing

BA is the most high profile international airline that there is, you obviously haven't seen the 5 storey high adverts draped on the side of buildings in New York, the model Concorde at Heathrow or to a lesser extent the new Cash Machine adverts here in the UK. To say that they are not good at advertising is rubbish.

AIR MALTA

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 3):
To say that they are not good at advertising is rubbish.

It isn't rubbish... If you do not live in New York or London, you don't see BA advvertisement that much. And the last time I have checked BA does not only fly between the UK and New York. So i can also say it is rubbish...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

gemini573

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:05 pm

Actually, I've seen quite a bit of BA advertisment out of HKG. They touted their new club world seats (as they were one of the few destinations at the time that got them) and their 3x daily flights ex HKG.

[Edited 2007-07-25 09:06:39]

jimbo27L

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:10 pm

BA is the most high profile international airline that there is, you obviously haven't seen the 5 storey high adverts draped on the side of buildings in New York, the model Concorde at Heathrow or to a lesser extent the new Cash Machine adverts here in the UK. To say that they are not good at advertising is rubbish.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 4):
It isn't rubbish... If you do not live in New York or London, you don't see BA advvertisement that much. And the last time I have checked BA does not only fly between the UK and New York. So i can also say it is rubbish...

Quoting Gemini573 (Reply 5):
Actually, I've seen quite a bit of BA advertisment out of HKG. They touted their new club world seats (as they were one of the few destinations at the time that got them) and their 3x daily flights ex HKG.

BA advertise selectively and astutley. No suprise to see them have a strong brand presence in NY and HK, after all thats where they can get the largest return from their marketing budget by targeting high yield customers.

They have a great advertisement in Bank underground station pushing the new Club class.

Incidentally, spotted a BA advertisement banner on a.net this morning - they reckon if you roll your clothes as soon as they come out the dryer it prevents creasing!

So there you go, not only do they offer a crack service, they educate too - wish they'd told me that sooner! Who do I write to to complain?!! Big grin

Bongodog1964

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:14 pm

I take it these awards are voted for by people who travel with hand luggage only

CO787EWR

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 7):

Yea isn't LHR notorious for losing baggage?

But is that the airport's or airline's fault

[Edited 2007-07-25 12:32:43]

Skidmarque

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:04 pm

the model Concorde at Heathrow

For the record, the model Concorde is no longer at Heathrow
DUCK !

Bongodog1964

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting CO787EWR (Reply 8):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 7):

Yea isn't LHR notorious for losing baggage?

But is that the airport's or airline's fault

On many occasions initially so. BA's normal policy of sending lost baggage by lorry to Milan for onward distribution doesn't help the situation though. Surely its not beyond their ability to sort lost bags close to LHR.

Sketty222

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 pm

the model Concorde at Heathrow

The model of Concorde was taken away a couple of months ago

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

nzrich

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Can i ask where you found the results as i was looking at its website and all it says is results to be announced later this week for skytrax ?
"Pride of the pacific"

MadameConcorde

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 pm

G-CONC (the Concorde statue that was at the Heathrow roundabout) is now in good hands at the Brooklands museum. She is being restored by a team of dedicated volunteers. I hope they will leave her in her original aspect.

I have no idea where they are going to put her.

I just hope she will not be put up on stilts like F-BVFF at CDG and the Concorde that was sold by AF to the Sinsheim Museum for a symbolic Euro (or was it a French Franc) sorry I do not have her reg in mind at this moment.

The new terminal at Changi Airport would be a fabulous place for her to be... or maybe they can send G-BOAB if Heathrow and BA want to get rid of her.

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 11):
The model of Concorde was taken away a couple of months ago
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Baexecutive

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 4):

Yes it is rubbish, just because the airline doesn't advertise its service at your particular airport or in your country doesn't make it rubbish at advertising, its only suggestive that it doesn't need or want to promote its service perhaps due to good load factors etc.

[email protected]

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Well, I can't say that B.A. - a so-called full-frills airline - is extraordinary; indeed, on my recent flight they were standard and not that memorable. That was pretty much what I got on the previous flight with them. Nevertheless, they're all right. Overall, I'd give them 6/10.

[Edited 2007-07-25 14:22:50]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos