reins485
Topic Author

TSA: Getting Smarter

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:21 am

We know that they have stopped taking lighters and now they are looking for odd things that might be out of place.

"Airport security officers around the nation have been alerted by federal officials to look out for terrorists practicing to carry explosive components onto aircraft, based on four curious seizures at airports since last September....The seizures at airports in San Diego, Milwaukee, Houston and Baltimore included 'wires, switches, pipes or tubes, cell phone components and dense clay-like substances,' including block cheese, the bulletin said. 'The unusual nature and increase in number of these improvised items raise concern.'"

They have started to notice things that don't add up and make sense and trying to think ahead instead of just reacting after something has happened. This is a step in the right direction.  checkmark 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/...;_ylt=AtwTHeCg5igC_YVmifEjoQCs0NUE

I did a search for the topic and nothing came, if so feel free to delete.

bigjku

RE: TSA: Getting Smarter

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am

That is all well and good but the simplest most effective step will probably not be taken until something very bad happens again.

DL777LAX

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting Reins485 (Thread starter):

Thats the headline of the century. Who would have thought?

Maybe one day, Aviation safety will actually be legit, instead of reacting, we might actually be *gasps* proactive.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

AirSpare

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:42 am

Some years ago a large shipment of cocaine was found inside of imported 55 drums of waste. The inspector thought that was out of place to import low value waste and made the discovery.

So fast forward about 19 years...Now the TSA has just figured this out, you mean they'll have to think about security instead mind numbing blindy confiscate lighters and water for 8 hours?

including block cheese

Ah, yea, duh, ummm, good move, was it French or English cheese? Part of the Willing or Unwilling cheese? Was it With Us or Against Us cheese? Fight the Cheese Over There so We Don't Have to Fight the Cheese Over Here.

With respect to the TSA people that really do make a difference, to bad the group of 12 f'ing off make you look bad and are security risks by their very nature. I think that the TSA realizes this and seems to put the more competent and seriouys people checking luggage.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

MDorBust

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:50 am

That's not much of an accomplishment.

...including block cheese

Oh wait, nevermind. They aren't getting smarter.

Yes, the cheese terrorists...
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

freshlove1

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting BigJKU (Reply 1):
That is all well and good but the simplest most effective step will probably not be taken until something very bad happens again.

Unfortunately you may be right. Then the TSA will just issue another bulletin stating what is not allowed in checked luggage or carry on bags. The TSA is nothing more then the same people who were working the checkpoints before 9/11. Now its the same people in a different uniform and the security is still the same.

bigjku

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting Freshlove1 (Reply 5):
Unfortunately you may be right. Then the TSA will just issue another bulletin stating what is not allowed in checked luggage or carry on bags. The TSA is nothing more then the same people who were working the checkpoints before 9/11. Now its the same people in a different uniform and the security is still the same.

However unpopular it might be effective security necessitates one of two things. Either you need an unlimited budget and huge manpower or you have to engage in some sort of profiling to make sure you check the vast majority, if not all, of those who are statistically most likely to pose a threat.

We could very simply build a profile of who the most probably airline hijacker, or suicide bomber would be. We simply choose not to do so for reasons of political correctness.

futurecaptain

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 2):

Thats the headline of the century. Who would have thought?

In tomorrow's news...

The TSA has put a retirement plan into effect for the short busses which take their employees to and from work. Makers of short busses, Short Busses Inc., stock dropped 45% on the news that the TSA was now too smart to ride the short bus to work.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:11 pm

I keep trotting this link out. The description of airport security in Kuwait is very instructive: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=2459.

Here's the conclusion:
How long did this take? Not much longer than it takes to read about it. How good was it? I've never felt safer in an airport, and this was technically a war zone. How expensive was it? Not very, and certainly cheaper than replacing the World Trade Center.

Would this have stopped the attack? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Would it stop many other incidents? Yes. Does it intrude on American privacy? Not much.

It is efficient, it is polite, it is secure. For those reasons, the FAA obviously won't embrace it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

XT6Wagon

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:16 pm

CHEESE, THE TERROR WEAPON OF THE NEXT CENTURY

Queue crying mom with toddler.... "This man... he brought... *snifffffff* cheese on the flight... I was so afraid... what if the man *gushing tears* sniff sniff... sorry what if he wouldn't share? What if he ate *sob* the WHOLE BLOCK. Thank the lord that air marshal was on board. (looks up with glistening tears, and a demure smile slight blush). That hansom man saved us all

Start patiotic music as it rolls into a piece on how the TSA and Homeland security are saving the world from terrorists and the liberals that support them.

georgiaame

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:25 pm

If cheese is banned, only terrorists will have cheese.

TSA is worthless, totally worthless. You don't have to carry cheese, cell phone batteries, wire onto an aircraft. Simply read today's headlines in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, re airport crowds on Wednesdays. You want to shut down worldwide air traffic? All you need to do is something very naughty at both ends of the Atlanta checkin, long, long before you get to security, or better yet, if you want to improve your killing odds, inside the mob waiting (im)patiently to get into security.

If I, a loyal, frequent cheese carrying American citizen, can figure this out, God help us all.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

zvezda

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:30 pm

I'll believe the TSA are getting smarter when they stop putting each other through the x-ray machines at night after the airports close.

You can't professionalize unless you privatize.

md80fanatic

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm

The TSA is worthless not just because they are inept, but because preventing terrorism is completely impossible.

These days a person can fashion explosives to look exactly like anything at all....a suitcase....a laptop....toilet paper....dentures....etc. The days are OVER where a terrorist needs to pack explosives -into- these items....now they can simply carry the items on themselves....or stick them in someone else's baggage without their knowledge.

There is no expert in the world good enough to detect everything...and the determined terrorist WILL always be one step ahead of those commissioned to stop him/her...it's the nature of the world. For goodness sake.....no TSA and no security at all would be just as effective as what we have now, so why not disband this merry troupe immediately and get aviation back to where it should be?

DAYflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:00 pm

An oxymoron if ever there was one. I dont think these guys could stop girlscouts trying to smuggle cookies on a 1900D.
One Nation Under God

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 pm

I personally have gone through the security detectors with a lighter every time. I put it in my back pocket and walk on through. Works everytime..mostly plastic little metal..undetectable.

ikramerica

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:22 pm

They are still wasting their budget, however. At TPA, where they have the nice new bomb sniffer human scanner machines, they are not turned on half the time. And then passing through on Saturday, I saw them sticking a 6 year old blond girl through it. Not only is it obviously wasteful, the kid was wearing 6 year old clothes, and couldn't hide ANYTHING in them. Just not enough room. Were they afraid this little girl had ingested explosives?

They have started to notice things that don't add up and make sense and trying to think ahead instead of just reacting after something has happened.

There are so many verified dry runs, it's not funny.

Anyone who puts "clay" inside something that isn't supposed to have clay in it should be charged with conspiracy. It is, in fact, against the law to try to test security measures via "dry run" methodology.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 19):
Wasn't it the French who helped us to win the Revolutionary war against Britain? Frankly, we had little hope of doing it on our own. Remember, history did not begin in 1991.

They also gave us the statue of liberty including the huge plaque telling the "tired, poor, huddled masses" around the world to come here. That was never our policy before then, but now people treat it like it's in the constitution.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ANother

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:58 pm

Unconfirmed sources say "British Suspects Detained in "Cheese Bomb" Training Run"

Boeing7E7

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:15 am

Shocking no????

Report of terrorist 'dry run' at Lindbergh a false alarm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070725-1207-bn25false.html

trekster

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 4):

There called Al Edam, or Al Gauda  Smile

There was a great cartoon strip in the metro the other day (there doing alot of aviation related recently)
It was someone at a security checkpoint with there purse out and its contents emptied.
One the back is a list of banned articles, everything from toothpaste to Eye liner and make up remover.

she says "What type of terrorist are you trying to stop"

Smile
Where does the time go???

kmh1956

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 18):
There called Al Edam, or Al Gauda

Edam Hussein and Osama bin Gouda??
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

SNCNtry32

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
They are still wasting their budget, however. At TPA, where they have the nice new bomb sniffer human scanner machines, they are not turned on half the time. And then passing through on Saturday, I saw them sticking a 6 year old blond girl through it. Not only is it obviously wasteful, the kid was wearing 6 year old clothes, and couldn't hide ANYTHING in them. Just not enough room. Were they afraid this little girl had ingested explosives?

Yes. Trust nobody. What is happening in the middle east? Suicide bombers, by whom? Little kids. I know this is the US and not the middle east, but trust nobody. Never look twice at someone and say 'Oh, them?! Never!'.
Long Live Memphis!

visityyj

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:10 am

Verified by whom ? I'll only believe the FBI, not the DHS/TSA self-fulfilling "prophets".

ANother

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 21):
Verified by whom ? I'll only believe the FBI, not the DHS/TSA self-fulfilling "prophets".

Follow this link from reply 17 - SAN airport seems to disagree with the TSA claims of what happened there.

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 17):
Shocking no????

Report of terrorist 'dry run' at Lindbergh a false alarm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m....html

yfbflyer

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 am

Anyone who puts "clay" inside something that isn't supposed to have clay in it should be charged with conspiracy. It is, in fact, against the law to try to test security measures via "dry run" methodology.

CNN had a follow up on this story at the top of their situation room tonight. There were 4 incidents all that were later found to be benign. The "clay" was simply an old style cold pack for an old lady with a back problem. Still she was detained for a few hours and asked " do you know Osama bin Laden?"

N231YE

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 4):

They do exist...when they cut it on airplanes  wink 

Lame joke over

Unfortunately, I somewhat blame the poor technology used by the TSA, and of course, paranoia.

n53614

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:34 am

TSA getting smarter? Yeah right...start screening the cargo instead of making me throw out my Mocha.
B722 B732 B733 B734 B735 B73G B738 B739 B742 B752 B763 B772 A319 A320 A332 CRJ2 DHC8 DH8D E135 E140 E145 MD83

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos