Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtwclipper
Topic Author

DTW North Terminal Video

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:59 pm

Here is a little video from the official site on construnction progress.

http://www.metroairport.com/project/NTRVideo1.wmv

Virtual tour:

http://www.metroairport.com/project/NTRVT1.wmv
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

tjwgrr

RE: DTW North Terminal Video

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Good stuff - thanks! DTW will become an even better airport in 2008.

"Not your Father's Airport Anymore" - how true.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

DTWAGENT

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 pm

I love it. Great Stuff. Can't wait until they are done and finaly this airport will be a good one again....

Chuck

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Did you notice that the gates are marked "D1, D2" etc., as if an extension of the NW Worldgateway.

If the two buildings are not going to be connected, and I have heard of no plans to do so, why would they continue this and not just label the gates 1, 2, 3 etc.?

iflyswa

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
Did you notice that the gates are marked "D1, D2" etc., as if an extension of the NW Worldgateway.

Actually, aren't there A, B, and C concourses in the Smith Terminal in use today? NWs gates in the Davey terminal used to be on the C, D, E, F, and G concourses, (C concourse was originally part of the Davey terminal) so maybe the designation as concourse D is not an extension of the World Gateway, but instead picks up where Smith leaves off (yes, I know Smith will be demolished eventually, thank God).

In either case, it'll probably remain "D concourse" because it will eliminate confusion for pax needing to transfer between terminals.

On another topic, what are the plans for the Berry terminal after the opening of the North Terminal redevelopment?

iflyswa

[Edited 2007-07-27 19:00:01]
Opinions expressed by "iflyswa" are not those of Southwest Airlines Officers, Directors, or Employees.

gregarious119

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:01 am

Kinda interesting how many NWA flights they showed in the video, yet NWA birds will probably never grace the presence of that building. Only one picture of a WN bird....which will be one of the operators of the new facility, right?

isitsafenow

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Iflyswa (Reply 4):
On another topic, what are the plans for the Berry terminal after the opening of the North Terminal redevelopment?

Bulldoze it and convert the area to addional airfreight.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

isitsafenow

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:59 am

Kinda looks like the NW building of today but only one side of the new concourse will have gates.
The check in area and baggage claim looked familiar to us Michigan folks.
safe  airplane 

LHboyatDTW

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:58 am

looks nice so far. I'm heading to DTW tomorrow to pick up relatives flying in from CLT so I'll try to spot out anything interesting (sorry no pics, I'd rather not risk it).

I'm wondering about the customs/immigration area. They didn't show it on the virtual tour and seeing that BA, LH, and RJ are going to use it, it makes me wonder.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 8):
I'm wondering about the customs/immigration area. They didn't show it on the virtual tour and seeing that BA, LH, and RJ are going to use it, it makes me wonder.

Makes you wonder what?

Are you thinking LH, RJ, and BA are gonna try and stay in the NW Worldgateway?

Isn't going to happen. They will move they day the North Terminal opens.

LHboyatDTW

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 9):
Are you thinking LH, RJ, and BA are gonna try and stay in the NW Worldgateway?

Isn't going to happen. They will move they day the North Terminal opens.

I recognize that, but I just didn't see any reference to the customs facilities so I wonder where they would place it to accommodate LH, RJ, and BA. I'm guessing it will be similar to the McNamara in that you'd go down an elevator/escalator into the facility and then come out into the baggage claim area.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

tjwgrr

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 10):
I recognize that, but I just didn't see any reference to the customs facilities so I wonder where they would place it to accommodate LH, RJ, and BA. I'm guessing it will be similar to the McNamara in that you'd go down an elevator/escalator into the facility and then come out into the baggage claim area.

From what I understand and the project site map indicates, the south end of the new North Terminal will have gates with customs for arriving international flights- some of which will also accommodate wide-body aircraft.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

AIR757200

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
why would they continue this and not just label the gates 1, 2, 3 etc.?

The airport provided our operations office with a blueprint and the most up-to-date gate assignments and they are numbered 1, 2, 3. I should have some time Monday to write down who has picked which gates.

Spirit had first choice, followed by Southwest, then AA had third choice, I'm not sure who had the remaining slots for choices afterwards.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 12):
Spirit had first choice

Do you know how many of the 26 they picked up?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

NASCARAirforce

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Iflyswa (Reply 4):

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 6):
Bulldoze it and convert the area to addional airfreight.

You are thinking the Smith Terminal. That was one of the possibilities once they knocked down the Smith Terminal. There really isn't a whole lot of room to start putting in air freight areas where the Berry is. The Berry will definitely be bulldozed, but more likely the area will be used in case the north terminal has to be expanded northward, or else if Northwest needs to expand their 747 hangar or something.

AIR757200

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 pm

NK: 8
WN: 3
AA: 2
UA: 2

I'll double check NK's numbers next week. Rent per square foot is very expensive, compared to the current terminal. From my understanding, AA right now pays about $19/sq.ft., the new terminal will be about $72/sq.ft. That's one of the main reasons why AA and likely WN, UA have selected so few gates.

AIR757200

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 14):
Bulldoze it and convert the area to addional airfreight

For now, once it's all cleared, we'll probably see a lot of planes parked there for overnight to open up gate space for remaining RON flights.

Right now, AA has five RON arrivals (+1 AE) with three gates (B7, B8, B11)--- ***B12 is in-op and may not be repaired, however, it will be used for RON parking for the time being.

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 12):
The airport provided our operations office with a blueprint and the most up-to-date gate assignments and they are numbered 1, 2, 3.

Thanks.

I was just wondering why the "virtual tour" video had them labeled otherwise. Just artistic license I guess.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 15):
NK: 8
WN: 3
AA: 2
UA: 2

I'll double check NK's numbers next week.

Thanks for the info. How many does WN currently have?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

AAflyguy

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:37 am

Actually, there will likely be about a 7-month gap between the opening of the North Terminal and the move by BA, LH, & RJ. This has always been the case, because the widebody international gates are on the side of the terminal which backs up to the existing Smithe Terminal Concourse C. The concourse will need to come down quickly, but there will be a fair amount of work left with ramp construction & loading bridge installation afterwards.

There are going to be five (5) Common Use gates, meaning they're controlled by the airport. They include the International gates, for obvious reasons. I believe FL is going to take two gates, US is taking two, and F9 is likely to have its own gate also, because they're operating 4x daily to DEN right now and they qualify to become a Signatory Carrier. Once Signatory, they can select a gate. Also, those Common Use gates are going to get lots of use, both by the Signatory's as well as all of the charter carriers currently operating from the Berry Terminal.

AAflyguy

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting AAflyguy (Reply 19):
Actually, there will likely be about a 7-month gap between the opening of the North Terminal and the move by BA, LH, & RJ. This has always been the case, because the widebody international gates are on the side of the terminal which backs up to the existing Smithe Terminal Concourse C. The concourse will need to come down quickly, but there will be a fair amount of work left with ramp construction & loading bridge installation afterwards.

Remember how long it was for BA, LH and RJ to move to the Midfield Terminal?

The Midfield Terminal opened in Feb 02 - LH I believe moved in Aug 02, BA not until 03 and RJ some time after that.

isitsafenow

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 14):
You are thinking the Smith Terminal.rnThat was one of the possibilities once they knocked down the SmithrnTerminal.

Yes...thanks for the correction. The Smith terminal is to be bulldozed for air freight expansion. Thats the current home
for Spirit, Southwest, US Airways, UA, AA and a couple of others.
safe

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos