Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

runga08
Topic Author

2 Helicopters Collide In Phoenix AZ

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:02 am

I'm trying to find out more info, but none of the local news websites have put anything out yet.

[Edited 2007-07-27 22:08:41]

AlexPorter

RE: 2 Helicopters Collide In Phoenix AZ

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:05 am

Here's some stuff:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0727coptercrash27-ON.html

Excerpt:
"The Arizona Republic
Jul. 27, 2007 01:00 PM

Two helicopters following a police car pursuit apparently collided over central-north Phoenix.

12 News is reporting that police scanner traffic indicated that the two copters are operated by Valley television news stations. It's undetermined how many people were on board the craft and whether there are any survivors."

Honestly those news helicopters are always all over the place in the Phoenix area. I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. At any rate, I hope everyone's okay!
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:06 am

They are speculating that it channel 5 and 15. Looks as though no one is alive. I watch these guys take off and land from my office window all day. RIP
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ThePRGuy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:06 am

Just seen this on Sky News, 2 choppers following a speeding car (getting the story in for the producers) have collided - survivors unlikely at this point.

Honestly - oh I don't know what to say.

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

andessmf

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:07 am

I am watching video right now on Fox News. Doesn't look too good.

Several of the reporters are almost in tears talking about this.

Just horrible.

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:12 am

Two television news helicopters covering a police pursuit crashed and burned in a central Phoenix park, killing at least two people. Watch for reports throughout the day. A KTVK T-V anchor tearfully told viewers that one of the helicopters was theirs, and that the pilot and photographer aboard were killed. KNXV-TV said the other helciopter was theirs.

http://www.azfamily.com/

Thats 3 and 15.

MMEPHX

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:13 am

Saw the crash from my office window. Awful.

ABC15 and Channel 3 News helicopters have been mentioned as involved. They were following a high speed pursuit in the area.

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 am

Some think Scott Bowerbank is dead, I hear. DO for Westcor helicopters. Its only word of mouth at the 'port though and not confirmed.

http://www.westcoraviation.net/about_us.htm

RIP if true.

[Edited 2007-07-27 22:30:31]

stlgph

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 am

Crazy.

I can hear the other station with a helicopter now...
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:25 am

A pilot and photographer in each chopper is being reported as killed on channel 3 here.

Sad day indeed. A sad loss in the rush to get "news" to the public.

[Edited 2007-07-27 22:26:57]
You can't cure stupid

stlgph

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 9):
A sad loss in the rush to get "news" to the public.

Don't start that.

redngold

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:35 am

Fox news has it. I heard it on the 1600 news report. Just a blurb at this time... But the pic doesn't show much left, not much promise for survivors...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291233,00.html
Up, up and away!

osiris30

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 10):
Don't start that.

Sorry man I gotta agree with him. RIP to those involved.. but at what point does getting the best footage of a car chase warrant 4 human lives? I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. The fact that it's sad doesn't make it less of a shame, and the fact it's a shame doesn't make it any less sad.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

azhobo

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:37 am

Sounds like 3 died from CH3 helicopter and 2 from Channel 5 helicopter.

HOBO

Tugger

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 9):
indeed. A sad loss in the rush to get "news" to the public.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 10):
Don't start that.

I agree, we are not blameless here, as WE are the consuming public that watches these things. And don't say that the majority here don't tune in to watch this crap. WE are the demographic that does! The news stations do this to get viewership so they can stay in business, if they don't then the other station does and gets the money. Its not a nice system but it works and is the way we do business here. I am not a fan of this crap but even I stick a few moments longer to watch "the chase" when it comes up on TV, all the while thinking to myself "This is stupid.... this is crazy that we call this news.... Oh! Holy crap! How close did that car come to the other one" I suspect that we have all done it.

RIP to the people on board, my thoughts and prayers to their families and friends.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

727LOVER

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 12):
but at what point does getting the best footage of a car chase warrant 4 human lives?

Off topic, I guess, but I'm curious. Could the person driving the car, thus starting all this, be charged for thse deaths?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

hamad

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:55 am

Guys, i live accross the street from there!!! traffic is terrible!!!
PHX - i miss spotting

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 15):
Off topic, I guess, but I'm curious. Could the person driving the car, thus starting all this, be charged for thse deaths?

If Arizona has a Felony Murder law, yes.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

WYG737LVR

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:01 am

but at what point does getting the best footage of a car chase warrant 4 human lives?

I agree it is a tragic and sad event, however WE, the general public, who love to watch these chases to the point that there are "Best Chases of..." videos on the market, are to blame. If we stop watching them, they stop reporting on them.

May the victims RIP and my thoughts and prayers to their families, friends and co-workers.

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 am

From Channel 3

http://www.azfamily.com/

Two television news helicopters covering a police pursuit crashed and burned in a central Phoenix park, killing KTVK pilot Scott Bowerbank and photographer Jim Cox.

khobar

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting WYG737LVR (Reply 18):
I agree it is a tragic and sad event, however WE, the general public, who love to watch these chases to the point that there are "Best Chases of..." videos on the market, are to blame. If we stop watching them, they stop reporting on them.

Is this why such shows are always at the top of the ratings slots? No, so the notion that we, the general public, are eager for this chase stuff doesn't hold. The problem is that the news companies are trying to think for the public, which is why I have long ago done what you suggest - stop watching them.

Latest report says they have not apprehended the suspect yet.

[Edited 2007-07-27 23:11:31]

Arrow

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:11 am

Sorry man I gotta agree with him. RIP to those involved.. but at what point does getting the best footage of a car chase warrant 4 human lives? I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

The answer of course is, it doesn't warrant 4 human lives. But let's try to keep in mind, particularly at this stage of this tragedy, that both these helicopters were flown by licenced professionals. I've been the reporter in the helicopter enough times to know that the reporter/camera person doesn't ever get away with telling the pilot how to fly the machine, or what risks to take to get the right shot -- that is always, 100% the pilot's call. Smart reporters don't even try to push it; and with the camera technology now available to news helicopters, you don't even have to be that close to get a good shot

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 17):
If Arizona has a Felony Murder law, yes.

I doubt it, and I hope not. Nothing compels a news helicopter(s) to chase the truck. It's not like a cop responding to a call for assistance, etc., and it's not like the truck directly caused the crash. If we're at the point where you can tie these kinds of events to the suspects in a crime, we're into police state territory.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Cactus739

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 am

www.azcentral.com has a picture up right now that shows them falling form the sky.

horrible tragedy.... but it could have been a lot worse. There are a lot of apartment complexes in the area as well as high rise buildings just south of that site....

may they rest in peace...my prayers for their family and the Phoenix news community...

Quoting HAMAD (Reply 16):
Guys, i live accross the street from there!!! traffic is terrible!!!

I can't imagine Central Ave being any worse than it is normally....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Coz

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:13 am

This occured within class B airspace, shouldn't these choppers have been assigned separate altitudes by PHX ATC?

itsnotfinals

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:20 am

All local stations have interupted programming to cover this story, it's truly a sad day in PHX.

The Channel 3 junior reporter is chocking back tears dong the live remote, this is so sad.

[Edited 2007-07-27 23:21:27]
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 21):
If we're at the point where you can tie these kinds of events to the suspects in a crime, we're into police state territory.

It was asked, I answered.

If you don't like that answer, don't move to Arizona.

Arizona Murder 1:

Quote:
The second definition of first degree murder is causing the death of another person while committing or attempting to commit another crime like sexual conduct with a minor, sexual assault, molestation of a child, various drug-related crimes, kidnapping, burglary, arson, robbery, escape from jail, child abuse, or unlawful flight from a pursuing law enforcement vehicle, or while fleeing from the scene where you committed any of these offenses.

I'd throw this one at the jury if I was prosecuting. Worst case scenarion, it doesn't stick. Best case scenario, five murder 1 convictions.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

chumley

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:31 am

Last minute of Channel 15/KNXV chopper video. Caution Graphic Video. View with Caution! http://www.breitbart.tv/html/3645.html

Could the person driving the car, thus starting all this, be charged for thse deaths?

Phoenix police spokesperson interviewed on Channel 12/KPNX (live video at http://www.azcentral.com ) said that the driver of the stolen vehicle could be charged in the crash -- IF prosecutors decide to do so.

Currently however, nearly two hours after the helicopter collision, the driver has not been apprehended.

md80fanatic

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:32 am

One of the helos was travelling no more than 10-15kts, and I imagine the other was going slow as well (since the
"car chase" had slowed to walking/running pace with all suspect vehicles stopped in the road and the suspects on foot). I'm sorry to say but the responsibility to maintain safe seperation falls on both the pilots....and amazingly both completely failed this day, at the same time.  Sad

itsnotfinals

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Coz (Reply 23):
This occured within class B airspace, shouldn't these choppers have been assigned separate altitudes by PHX ATC?

No, that is not the local tower agreement for helicopters in major cities, there are certain corridors that are permitted with certain reporting and other requirments agreed to with each Tower.

chumley

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:37 am

Here's another Graphic Video of the crash from another news helicopter.

http://wcbstv.com/video/[email protected]

phxplanes

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:39 am

Thats terrible I watch channel three all the time. RIP for both stations

DeC

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41 am

News Helicopter Live Reaction Seconds After Two Others Collide

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=3647
DEC

stlgph

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 14):

Well, there's two folds there ... there's one side that is going to blame this all on the news copters trying to be the best in the news business, which is horsewaller, and then there's the other side which is the basic errors or issues that any pilot faces every time they take to the skies, which is what this is.

From the video clips I've seen thus far on our news servers, it sounds like since space was tight, one copter decided to fly above another one. However, all the copters, and you can hear them, were in communication with one another. One copter told the other that they were going to fly above them ... and then it can be guessed that the one that was underneath, after acknowledging, disregarded, lifted up and then the two collided.

The Fox copter was also in the air. Look up the Fox Phoenix website and listen to the helicopter reporter's report if it is on there.

In the end, if there's anything to be glad about in this incident, be thankful they came down in a park and not anywhere else.

corey07850

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Coz (Reply 23):

No they were almost certainly told to simply maintain visual separation

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:46 am

Although I don't know him very well, I've worked with Scott in the past and he seemed to be a great guy. I also know some of the 5 guys. Its a real tight-knit group of people and I really feel their loss.

HPLASOps

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:52 am

There was a thread in non-av recently that dealt with a similar situation (a felon getting charged with murder without actually causing the murders):

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1673543/?searchid=1673543&s=Georgia+law#ID1673543

Shocking day in Arizona, that is for sure.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 21):
I doubt it, and I hope not. Nothing compels a news helicopter(s) to chase the truck. It's not like a cop responding to a call for assistance, etc., and it's not like the truck directly caused the crash. If we're at the point where you can tie these kinds of events to the suspects in a crime, we're into police state territory.

]

Agreed.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 25):
or unlawful flight from a pursuing law enforcement vehicle

Id bet this part refers to official Police vehicles only, not news helicopters or news vans. Last I checked in all 50 states the media does not fall in the category of law enforcement. As stated they put themselves in that position and unfortunately somebody goofed which resulted in the loss of life. Now change the scenario and you had a reporter standing on the sidewalk covering the pursuit and two police vehicles collide chasing the clown and one of the patrol vehicles carreens off the road and runs down the reporter killing him, then Id say the section applies.

Arrow

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 25):
If you don't like that answer, don't move to Arizona.

Just read the section you quoted. I stand corrected. I wasn't about to move to Arizona, beautiful place though it is. But that kind of legislation on the books would definitely keep me out. It's reasonable to prosecute for events that are direct consequences of a crime being committed, but that's over the top. These jerks in the truck did absolutely nothing to cause that crash.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

aminobwana

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:04 am

I ask: who gives the press the right to fly without any control copters in middle of a city, endangering the crews and more importantly, anyone on their way (persons, buildings, E-lines) , making noise, without any benefit for anybody except feeding the often sick curiosity of the public ??
Why small aircraft operations are strictly regulated, not so helicopters ??
Somebody mentioned lawsuits ?? How about suing the TV stations and the authorities which allowed them to do what they were doing ?? The dead of the crews is regrettable, but they knew the risks !!

aminobwana

DeC

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:05 am

http://www.kpho.com/news/13770683/detail.html

Plus, eyewitness accounts
DEC

stlgph

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting Aminobwana (Reply 38):

A 737 just flew over my dead and I'm standing downtown. Oh no, run..  Sad

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting 77411 (Reply 36):
Id bet this part refers to official Police vehicles only, not news helicopters or news vans.

The wording clearly does mean official vehicles.

But that doesn't matter.

The section is listing the crimes that are necessary for the charge to be found valid. The suspect was in fact fleeing from pursuing law enforcement vehicles. Ergo, the charge can be found valid.

The defenses best (and really only option) is to show that the defendant did not cause the deaths. To do so, he would have to show that a media response is not the expected norm for this time of situation. If he can get a jury to buy that, I'll but that lawyer on permanent retainer.

To make a simple diagram:

Prosecution case for guilt: Felony pursuits are newsworthy -> Media response is expected -> deaths occurred during media response.

Defense Strategy: The media response was not a predictable outcome of this sort of crime. Therefore, the deaths can not be attached to the crime.

If I was in this defendants shoes... I'd be looking for some plea agreements.

[Edited 2007-07-28 00:11:35]

AlexPorter

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 am

As far as criminal charges go... I would imagine that the felony murder law in Arizona for high speed chases is intended to prosecute fleeing drivers in situations where the actual police cars crash due to high speed in direct pursuit. I could see it extended to any police helicopters also, but that may be stretching it depending on the situation. However, I highly doubt it would be extended to news helicopters who don't watch out for each other. That's really quite circumstantial. This sort of thing could just as easily happen when covering rush hour traffic jams, which the news choppers also routinely do. If the prosecutors actually do charge the guy with these deaths, that's just frightening.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 42):
This sort of thing could just as easily happen when covering rush hour traffic jams, which the news

A traffic jam isn't a felony crime, so the common law variant of Felony Murder couldn't be charged.

A traffic jam also isn't on the list of crimes necessary to charge this crime in AZ.. so that's out too.

aminobwana

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 40):
A 737 just flew over my dead and I'm standing downtown. Oh no, run..

Is this a riddle ???

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 43):
This sort of thing could just as easily happen when covering rush hour traffic jams, which the news

Not the same. Of course, there should be rules even for such, but a traffic jam is a static event, where
competing reporters are not eager too outdo themselves and absolutely no need to fly dangerously low

Again: the TV stations which send reporters to such endeavours are the direct responsibles here, the authorities which tolerate such, the secondary ones.

aminobwana

doug_or

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:29 am

I ask: who gives the press the right to fly without any control copters in middle of a city, endangering the crews and more importantly, anyone on their way (persons, buildings, E-lines) , making noise, without any benefit for anybody except feeding the often sick curiosity of the public ?? Why small aircraft operations are strictly regulated, not so helicopters ??Somebody mentioned lawsuits ?? How about suing the TV stations and the authorities which allowed them to do what they were doing ??

If you have no idea what you are talking about you'd be much better served by keeping your mouth shut.

Of course helicopters are controled, the same as any oither small aircraft.

Anyway, you are right, I am sure we can sue ourselves to a risk free society.
When in doubt, one B pump off

itsnotfinals

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:36 am

I ask: who gives the press the right to fly without any control copters in middle of a city, endangering the crews and more importantly, anyone on their way (persons, buildings, E-lines) , making noise, without any benefit for anybody except feeding the often sick curiosity of the public ??
Why small aircraft operations are strictly regulated, not so helicopters ??

Read the threads above. All Helicoper traffic is closely controlled directly with PHX Tower, you are completely clueless saying this and also being disrespectful to the aviation professionals that lost their lives today in this tragic accident.

aminobwana

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:37 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 45):
If you have no idea what you are talking about you'd be much better served by keeping your mouth shut.

Of course helicopters are controled, the same as any oither small aircraft.

It would be better if you support your insolence with some facts !

If there are rules for helicopters, do such rules allow private entities to chase cars in middle of a city,
endangering anybody ??

And lawsuits are certainlly not the way to a perfrct society, but a sentence which put out of business a
irresponsible TV station would help !!

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 46):
Read the threads above. All Helicoper traffic is closely controlled directly with PHX Tower, you are completely clueless saying this and also being disrespectful to the aviation professionals that lost their lives today in this tragic accident.

Are you telling me seriously that the tower is able to survey two helicopter flying between buildings, chasing
a vehicle on the ground and much less to do anything for their safety ??

I will add that hoping that the pilots a good professionals is no substitute for an irresponsible behavior
of the TV stations allowing such.

As other posters aptly state, it is a miracle that such has not happened more often !

aminobwana

aminobwana

[Edited 2007-07-28 00:47:51]

OPNLguy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:38 am

I find it kind of amazing that something like this hasn't happened before now, given the growing number of media outlets with helicopters, and the close proximity they often find themselves operating within. I've seen more than one police helicopter pilot quoted as saying (in effect) that these sudden media sorties to cover breaking stories can be something of an aerial circus at times.

I see NTSB is going to investigate this accident, so maybe we'll eventually see some info on what might have caused it. Loss of situational awareness? Mechanical issue? Without a CVR or DFDR to work from, the NTSB will have their work cut-out for them.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Aminobwana (Reply 44):
...absolutely no need to fly dangerously low

If you watch the videos, altitude (or lack there of) was most certainly not an issue in this crash.

Quoting Aminobwana (Reply 44):
Again: the TV stations which send reporters to such endeavours are the direct responsibles here, the authorities which tolerate such, the secondary ones.

Attributing responsibility to these parties does not remove the criminal responsibility from the suspect.

Is ATC responsible for overseeing the safe operation of the helicopters: Arguable
Is the media company responsible for dispatching the helicopters to the pursuit: Yes
Were the pilots responsible for maintaining separation: Yes
Is the suspect responsible for any deaths that occur as a result of his crime: Yes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos