Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johnclipper
Topic Author

"Country Of Residence" For Buying Tickets Overseas

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:43 am

Is there any legal issues or can you be denied a flight if you book and airline ticket from another country to a third country when you are not a resident of that country? For example, buying an LH ticket from Frankfurt to Sydney. LH Website asks "My Country". If I put in U.S., the price is higher than if I put in "Germany". If I buy the ticket with My Country "Germany" but with a U.S. passport, will I get in trouble?

SilentObserver

RE: "Country Of Residence" For Buying Tickets Overseas

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:52 am

i had this come up traveling on SAS from Denmark to Sweden, the ticket was like $800 if i purchased it with my country as US, if I said Danish, the price dropped to $150...i was able to buy the ticket with a US credit card, but i need to use a danish address (i had one i could use at the time)... the flight did not require a passport however and was an e-ticket... i was honestly surprised it let me buy the ticket, the credit card and address did not match...not sure how your exact situation would work, it does amaze me that the EU or US would allow the airlines to charge different amounts like this...

ikramerica

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting SilentObserver (Reply 1):
not sure how your exact situation would work, it does amaze me that the EU or US would allow the airlines to charge different amounts like this...

It happens on the same route with opposite points of origin, like FRA-EWR-FRA being cheaper than EWR-FRA-EWR, but it is just ridiculous that they would charge different people different prices for the same route based on nationality.

This is a matter for the WTO. Should not be allowed.

Halophila

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Same thing goes for NZ domestic flights if booked on a US credit card. In short, i don't think its a problem provided you have an address to use in the foreign country. Unlike in the US, many foreign airline websites don't have the software or capability to check credit card billing address against numbers, like they do in the US (this is why in the US you find it difficult to pay with a foreign credit card). So you just enter your US card no/exp date and CCV2 code, and then use a foreign address.

Lufthansa747

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:58 pm

Nobody cares what credit card/passport/address you use in case of e-tickets. Paper tickets would obviously pose a problem with delivery...

amirs

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:14 pm

So what is cheaper?
Booking as a national of the national airline?

Lufthansa747

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Amirs (Reply 5):
So what is cheaper?
Booking as a national of the national airline?

Some fares are restricted to the local market, thus using another country of residence bumps it up to full fare.

LH also has ticket service charges on some markets, none on others...  Wink

par13del

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Politics is still the name of the game, regardless of how important business ventures think they are.
Its the main reason for all these trade treaties et. al. Phone calls from the US to the Caribbean have one rate and the return over the same network has a much higher rate, and yes labour cost in the US is higher so logic dictates that the US rate should be higher, its not.

Different address on credit cards as in billing and shipping is now a huge issue, most business places now require you to register the seperate address (shipping) with your bank.
As for the fare differential, I think American should have a pretty good handle on the reason why, in the US you have Federal laws regulating intersate commerce, but locals laws are put in place to raise taxes on products being purchased by out of state residents using various legal precidents etc., Europe is probably no different, hence the nationality question, and this was being done in some quarters prior to 9/11.
A logical approach would be to just travel and buy a ticket localy, however, if your connection is the same day, the walk up fares are killers, make you love WN though, you can budget those.

Leskova

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
It happens on the same route with opposite points of origin, like FRA-EWR-FRA being cheaper than EWR-FRA-EWR, but it is just ridiculous that they would charge different people different prices for the same route based on nationality.

FRA-EWR is rarely cheaper than EWR-FRA: LH flights from Germany are usually between 10 and 20 percent more expensive than they are from other countries; I've regularly seen flights including 1-3 hour intra-European feeders to LH longhauls being offered at the same or lower price than the nonstop fare starting here in FRA.

In the end, it has nothing to do with your nationality - but your place of residence, which is a difference in itself: but in general, the fares that LH (or any other airline) charges don't depend on your nationality, but on the fare levels offered in the respective market. If the fares in a given market are more expensive than, for example, in Germany, they'll be charging a higher fare for flights originating there (something that a German national would also have to pay if purchasing the flight in that "other" direction).

And, just to be fair, fares in Germany have dropped a lot over the past couple of years - but so has availability: a lot of airlines actively reduce availability of their flights for fares purchased ex Germany. The result: shortly before 2006's holiday season, at the same time when, during the previous 5-10 years it was still easily possible to get decent fares to the US, there was barely a seat available for below €1000.

If you looked up the same flight with a feeder ex ZRH, VIE, PAR, PRG or WAW, the fares availabilities were suddenly no problem for the same flights, and fares were well below €1000, in some cases even below €500.

ORDagent

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am

If you're savvy you can save a lot of money particularly in J class fares. Often times I will split a clients tickets into multiple one way tickets. It isn't just the local pricing that helps but also the relative strength of the USD as all tickets are priced in the local currency of the point of origin on the ticket. This is a standard practice of virtually any travel agent worth their salt.

LAXintl

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):

What are you kidding?

Regional pricing is normal for just about all products. Each market has its own unique pricing and competitive pressures.
Even within the US you can see the same item priced different from city to city, whether we are talking about a bar of soap or a car.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this in my opinion. I actually think its quite good and shows how market dynamics work and manages to keep product producers/sellers on their toes to move their goods.

ANother

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:10 pm

European Regulation prohibits different pricing for the identical product purchased IN THE EU based on place of actual purchase by the consumer. This regulation does not apply to purchases in the US of fares from an EU country - although other legislation may.

This doesn't mean that similar products must be the same price - a FRA-LON flight being a similar but different product than LON-FRA. But if two consumers, one in FRA and one in LON, want to buy the same FRA-LON ticket the fare must be the same for both.

L410Turbolet

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 4):
Nobody cares what credit card/passport/address you use in case of e-tickets.

UA apparently does care as I found out during my saga with TED: Flying United's TED - What To Expect? (by L410Turbolet Jul 25 2007 in Aviation Polls & Prefs)

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 10):
Even within the US you can see the same item priced different from city to city, whether we are talking about a bar of soap or a car.

Bar of soap will be most likely priced differently in different places but for everyone. With plane tickets we are talking about a product being priced differently for different people.

chase

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 pm

Is LH supported by German taxes at all? In which case they may just be saying that if you live in FRA, you've already paid those taxes and thus a portion of your ticket price, but if you live in the US, you haven't? Kind of like, if you want your kid to go to public school in your town, that's free, but if you want him/her to go to public school in the next town over, you have to pay. Admission gate at the Taj Mahal charges non-Indians about 10x what Indians are charged, FWIW.

Leskova

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 13):
Is LH supported by German taxes at all?

Not really.... they're a privately held company, and one earning quite a healthy amount of money - they're paying taxes, not getting them...  Wink

Quoting Chase (Reply 13):
In which case they may just be saying that if you live in FRA, you've already paid those taxes and thus a portion of your ticket price, but if you live in the US, you haven't?

Actually, as I mentioned above, LH fares are frequently more expensive in Germany than they are outside of Germany, so I'd say no, that's not the answer here...  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos