Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA777
Topic Author

AP Article On Russian Flight Safety...

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:10 am

MOSCOW - The storm was too massive to fly around, but rather than turn back, Captain Ivan Korogodin decided to risk flying over the towering clouds.
ADVERTISEMENT

As the Tupolev-154 approached its maximum operating altitude of 39,400 feet it stalled, went into an uncontrollable spin and slammed into the ground, killing all 170 on board.

The Aug. 22 crash last year of Pulkovo Airlines flight 612 from the Black Sea resort of Anapa to St. Petersburg was officially blamed on pilot error. But safety advocates see it as symptomatic of a much deeper problem with Russian aviation: A burgeoning fleet of small, low-budget airlines, under-trained pilots, weak government regulation and a cost-cutting mentality in which pilots who abort flights and landings are sometimes fined.

Russia and the other former Soviet republics had the world's worst air traffic safety record last year, with an accident rate 13 times the world average, according to the International Air Transport Association.

The associated press released an interesting, and somewhat eye-opening and scary look into the world of Russian Aviation. Personally, I'd love to fly on all of these Tuploev and Antonov jets-- if the accident records were better....It seems that the problems in the Aviation industry in Russia are multi-faceted and would be difficult to change....But to me, with a record like that, some sort of action needs to be taken.

Check out the rest of the article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070729/...;_ylt=AhgRj6i49n2W.D7vqGKC2.5bbBAF

-AA777

flyorski

RE: AP Article On Russian Flight Safety...

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting AA777 (Thread starter):
But to me, with a record like that, some sort of action needs to be taken.

I definitely agree. And not just Russia, there are lots of countries that need to start taking air safety seriously.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

awthompson

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:54 am

I am flying Aeroflot return from London Heathrow to Hong Kong via Moscow in October, I am wondering what it will be like? I was persuaded to choose this option as a result of the great prices being advertised by SU on LHR-HKG and also to try something different. According to my booking, I can expect A321 and 763, no Russian types.  Sad

I considered that the safety risk would be worth taking, however now that I read the above, well ............!

Really, I am sure it will be just fine.

AA777
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting Awthompson (Reply 2):
I was persuaded to choose this option as a result of the great prices being advertised by SU on LHR-HKG and also to try something different. According to my booking, I can expect A321 and 763, no Russian types

Does the British gov't even allow them to operate such types (Russian Airliners) to the UK anymore? I have seen many TU aircraft at LHR, but not in the recent past....?

-AA777

sevenair

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:57 pm

SU have not had a crash in many years, so I would not worry. Consdering how massive they are and the fact that they have not had a major accident in so long, id feel safe on them.

awthompson

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting AA777 (Reply 3):
Does the British gov't even allow them to operate such types (Russian Airliners) to the UK anymore? I have seen many TU aircraft at LHR, but not in the recent past....?

I don't know the exact details but that is probably the case, - noise likely being the main reason. I haven't seen any either for a long time.

Quoting AA777 (Reply 3):
SU have not had a crash in many years, so I would not worry. Considering how massive they are and the fact that they have not had a major accident in so long, id feel safe on them.

It is showing A321 LHR-SVO and B763 SVO-HKG. I have not flown ever on a Russian type so I will not complain if a 767 goes u/s and they draft in an Il-96 or something like that.  Wink

A342

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting AA777 (Reply 3):
Does the British gov't even allow them to operate such types (Russian Airliners) to the UK anymore?

Why not? If they fulfill noise and safety regulations, they're allowed to operate in the UK. See the An-124 (yes, I know it's Ukrainian...).
Exceptions confirm the rule.

afay1

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:40 pm

Airlines operating Russian or Ukrainian origin aircraft that meet noise regulations (usually Tu-154M and IL-96) are more than welcome to operate them into the UK...

Aviastar

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 am

A burgeoning fleet of small, low-budget airlines

Today there are far less airlines in CIS than in the beginning of the nineties. Many disappeared or were banned from flying by the authorities (AJT, Eurasia, East Line etc.) and the current trend is merging.

I'd love to fly on all of these Tuploev and Antonov jets-- if the accident records were better....

The problem is NOT Tu or Il or Yak: "low-budget airlines, under-trained pilots, weak government regulation and a cost-cutting mentality in which pilots who abort flights and landings are sometimes fined". This concerns all planes flying in CIS. The 4 last crashes in Russia (involving passenger planes) are the Pulkovo Tu-154, the Sibir A-310, the Armavia A-320 and the UT Air Tu-134...
2 Tupolev and 2 Airbus. In each case the major cause of the accident was, I believe, under-trained pilots. I remember hearing on Russian TV Pervy Kanal the chairman of UT Air saying that the cause of the Tu3 accident was fog... (Since when Tupolev can't land in foggy weather?)

Quoting Awthompson (Reply 5):
Quoting AA777 (Reply 3):

I don't know the exact details but that is probably the case, - noise likely being the main reason. I haven't seen any either for a long time.

Planes who are not Stage 3 can't fly in Europe anymore (since 2003 I think): Il-86, Tu-154B, Tu-134.

I considered that the safety risk would be worth taking, however now that I read the above, well ............!

Remember that Aeroflot had to fulfill many requirements to become a member of Sky Team.

awthompson

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Aviastar (Reply 8):

Remember that Aeroflot had to fulfill many requirements to become a member of Sky Team.

I hope I didn't sound like I was belittling CIS aviation in any way with what I said. I have very high respect for CIS airlines and aircraft. As I said above, I would be more than happy if a last minute glitch results in one of my booked SU 767 flights changing to IL-96-300 or something like that  Wink I would love the experience.

Anyhow I am very much looking forward to fly on Aeroflot for the first time and I chose them over a large choice of other airlines, and I have to say that the price was very good into the bargain.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos