jtl11968
Topic Author

DL To EDI

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:57 am

I read a thread in June about Delta's bid for Asia and saw a poster mention ATL-EDI was cancelled. I have not been able to find if this is true. My partner lives in NCL so I flew it five times since they began in 2006 and it was full every time. I know that doesnt mean they're making money but it looked to be a success. Anyone know what the plan is for Delta and EDI or anywhere else in the UK besides London and Manchester? Newcaslte is getting EK with direct service to DXB in September.

Alitalia744

RE: DL To EDI

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 am

ATL-EDI is being cxld and replaced by JFK-EDI
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:59 am

The route was never a good performer. Yields were very weak. ATL-EDI service ends at the end of October, and JFK-EDI service, with a 757, starts next spring.
a.

CVG777

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:01 am

Starting some time this fall, EDI will be suspended until next spring. Then, Delta will return to EDI from JFK with the 757, freeing up the 767 for other routes.

jtl11968
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:06 am

So now they will go up against CO from EWR? How about another city without US service so they can create their own market. LOL - I wouldn't make a good airline exec, I guess.

ScottishLaddie

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:08 am

Highly seasonal demand on this route. Works in the summer and makes money, flights are busy (and you get the odd occasion like EDI-ATL today when it was actually oversold), also carrys a large amount of cargo.
In the winter well, that's what killed the route some days it was only carring 50 pax most of which were in the back. Shame to see it go although I am reliably informed that DL are looking at the viability of operating summer only.

gkirk

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
The route was never a good performer. Yields were very weak. ATL-EDI service ends at the end of October, and JFK-EDI service, with a 757, starts next spring.

Don't let ScottishLaddie hear that  Wink

Quoting Jtl11968 (Thread starter):
Newcaslte is getting EK with direct service to DXB in September.

A large number of flights NCL-DXB are already full or close to being full. It seems that this will be a successful route for EK  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Damian

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
Don't let ScottishLaddie hear that

Evidently there was no viable alternative for a year-round service to Atlanta within 200 miles of EDI  Wink

JFK-EDI should be a better year-round prospect for DL, and as Scottish Laddie says there's always the possibility of EDI-ATL returning on a summer-only basis, where it has in fact been doing a lot better than many other established Scottish transatlantic services.

gkirk

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting Damian (Reply 7):
where it has in fact been doing a lot better than many other established Scottish transatlantic services.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
The route was never a good performer.

scratchchin 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Humberside

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
Quoting Jtl11968 (Thread starter):
Newcaslte is getting EK with direct service to DXB in September.

A large number of flights NCL-DXB are already full or close to being full. It seems that this will be a successful route for EK

Ive seen TV adverts specifically for this route, which is unusual. Hope it does work out for NCL, and that might encourage the US airlines to look at NCL again
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

shuggie

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 am

DL is tapping in to the NYC - EDI route that CO is doing well with, I just hope that there is enough business to sustain both flights and that DL's switching doesn't end up splitting the market with the result of us losing both routes. I understand why JFK-EDI seems like a good idea to DL but surely there could be more money to be made by picking a new destination, I assume that the USA does have more than two cities?  stirthepot 

Humberside

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Shuggie (Reply 10):
DL is tapping in to the NYC - EDI route that CO is doing well with, I just hope that there is enough business to sustain both flights and that DL's switching doesn't end up splitting the market with the result of us losing both routes.

I doubt CO would leave - reduce from double daily to once daily in the summer maybe, but to go altogether would be very unlikely IMO

Quoting Shuggie (Reply 10):
I understand why JFK-EDI seems like a good idea to DL but surely there could be more money to be made by picking a new destination, I assume that the USA does have more than two cities?

Yes, but none that DL could make work

I can understand concerns over DL going onto JFK and competing with CO, instead of complmenting as they do at the moment. Lets just hope it works and EDI can keep 2, year round, transatlantic carriers, and that DL dont go the same way as AA at GLA
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

nighthawk

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 11):
I can understand concerns over DL going onto JFK and competing with CO, instead of complmenting as they do at the moment. Lets just hope it works and EDI can keep 2, year round, transatlantic carriers, and that DL dont go the same way as AA at GLA

To be honest I dont think the DL flights will have too much of an effect on CO. The EDI-USA market is predominantly inbound american tourists. Many americans have a favourite carrier, and tend to fly with that carrier and its partners to reach their destination rather than fly the most direct route. At present Delta customers will be routing either ATL-EDI direct or through LGW / Paris / Amsterdam and up to EDI with a partner.

With the addition of the JFK flights, delta passengers from the existing ATL sevrice will now route through JFK, and those previously using another european hub may be tempted onto the service. The JFK flight will more or less replace the existing ATL service, and will have little to no effect on the CO flights.

ScottishLaddie

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 12):
To be honest I dont think the DL flights will have too much of an effect on CO. The EDI-USA market is predominantly inbound american tourists. Many americans have a favourite carrier, and tend to fly with that carrier and its partners to reach their destination rather than fly the most direct route. At present Delta customers will be routing either ATL-EDI direct or through LGW / Paris / Amsterdam and up to EDI with a partner.

With the addition of the JFK flights, delta passengers from the existing ATL sevrice will now route through JFK, and those previously using another european hub may be tempted onto the service. The JFK flight will more or less replace the existing ATL service, and will have little to no effect on the CO flights.

You're right, and I'm sure CO would agree with you. On Sunday's 2nd flight there was only 15 British pax on it out of a total of 162. Incidentally, CO now have EWR on sale 2x daily next summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos