panam330
Topic Author

CO: Easiest Int'l Routes To Non-Rev On In Fall 07?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:12 am

What are the easiest international routes to travel space-available on CO? I'm trying to find out where I can go in the Fall, but don't want to purchase a ticket and have my traveling companion not be able to go due to no seats available. So what routes are easy to get on? IAH-CDG? EWR-TXL? Where are the resident CO experts on this subject? Any input is greatly appreciated!  Smile

ikramerica

RE: CO: Easiest Int'l Routes To Non-Rev On In Fall 07?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:28 am

One way to figure it out is to check available award seats. I find award seats easier to get going into FRA or BRU than anywhere else, and now with BRU being a 777, should be even easier.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

copter808

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:32 am

I kind of plan things the other way around. First, I decide what destinations I would like to go to, then I decide how (if) to get there!

Be sure to check available seats BOTH ways--the return availability being the most important! You can't get into trouble if you can't get there, but you sure can if you get there and can't get home! Seat availability changes frequently so you should have more than 1 or 2 possible destinations in mind, making the final decision the day before and morning of your departure.

I usually head toward Asia in the fall, but that's just my choice.

You also need to be aware of interline agreements that will permit your traveling companion to ride.

Where will you be leaving from?

panam330
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Copter808 (Reply 2):
I kind of plan things the other way around. First, I decide what destinations I would like to go to, then I decide how (if) to get there!

Well, I look at it in a different way. If I want to go to FCO but can only get to DUB, I'll do it, and buy a cheap ticket from DUB-FCO.

Quoting Copter808 (Reply 2):
Where will you be leaving from?

MCO/DAB/JAX. Any of the 3 will work, and I'd prefer to go to FCO, CDG or TXL. I am open to almost any other destination in Europe or the Caribbean.

rdwootty

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:56 am

I think you would be suprised at the EWR-BRS loads.........The other thing is that there are many flights from UK to EWR . BRS/GLA/MAN/EDI/LGW AND SOON LHR, there is of course BFS and DUB

ScottishLaddie

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:29 am

Maybe look at destinations with multiple flights a day which would give you the best chance of getting there on your chosen date. Depending on what month you're looking at going at there will be places in Europe that still have more than one flight a day when demand is starting to ease off a bit which will make it a bit easier.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 5):
Maybe look at destinations with multiple flights a day which would give you the best chance of getting there on your chosen date.

If you want to go to Europe, it should be easy enough, as long as you don't care which city you arrive in!

I'd just suggest going to EWR and seeing what you can get the day you want to go. My guess is you'll get into either BRU or FRA pretty easily, and possibly CDG depending on the day of the week.

On the return, plan to leave from Paris. 3 flights a day to EWR and 1 to IAH, should almost always be a seat. And if there isn't, you can just go back and stay in Paris for one more night, and try again. In the fall, can't imagine there wouldn't a seat on 8 flights in two days out of CDG.

rwsea

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
One way to figure it out is to check available award seats. I find award seats easier to get going into FRA or BRU than anywhere else, and now with BRU being a 777, should be even easier.

Those seem like a good bet, given that they have larger aircraft, and aren't really tourist destinations (as compared with LON, CDG, FCO, etc.).

dutchjet

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):

As for BRU, it goes out rather filled most of the time, especially once the summer is over and business travel demand increases. Even with the 777, loads are high; many CO employees based in BRU take the train to non-rev out of CDG where there are more options. As for reward seats, EWR-BRU is one of the toughest routes around on CO, I think that poster is very lucky; I as a Platinum Elite (and with the help of some friends) book reward/upgrade travel in bizfirst months in advance on BRU-EWR or its impossible to get.

Some suggestions:

Fly on a Tuesday or a Wednesday on the both the outbound and inbound transatlantic segments....there is a big difference as to availability based on days of the week; certain days lots of Europeans fly to the US and on other days there is a larger number of North Americans flying to Europe.

Houston-Paris is the route that CO insiders (based in Europe) use to get to the US during non-holiday periods, big airplane (777) that on midweek flights usually has seats available. MCO-IAH-CDG may be your best bet....MCO-IAH has lots of seats and demand to/from Florida drops during the hurricane season.

dutchjet

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
I'd just suggest going to EWR and seeing what you can get the day you want to go. My guess is you'll get into either BRU or FRA pretty easily, and possibly CDG depending on the day of the week.

I fly with CO on the BRU-EWR-BRU route one or two times per month, and the info concerning BRU is simply not correct, sorry Ikramerica, but the load factors on CO's BRU-EWR flight are quite high in all classes, and in September, after the holidays, biz traffic will increase. CO has contracts with quite a few mulitnational companies that use the BRU-EWR flight heavily.

As mentioned above, even CO employees that work in BRU dont use this flight for fear of getting left behind.

optionscle

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:46 am

For God's sake DON'T try to get on IAH-CDG!!!! I've been trying to do it for months and just haven't seen a single flight that looked good. If you're based in Houston like me, Amsterdam is usually a good option. LGW is generally open, though not always up front. LGW is nice, also, because you have CLE and EWR as backups to get home. In my experience, BRU is very hit-or-miss. I've seen it go out with 30 seats open up front, and I've seen it go out completely full in both classes. Same goes for FRA.

My advice would be to go where there are lots of options - LGW, AMS and CDG come to mind because there are at least 4 daily flights to each city and they are within train distance to other CO destinations if you get stuck. Watch out for any airport in the UK, though, as they've just upped their departure taxes. You'll be paying £40 to depart in coach or a whopping £80 for BusinessFirst. It can really increase the price of your trip.

goboeing

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting OptionsCLE (Reply 10):
For God's sake DON'T try to get on IAH-CDG!!!! I've been trying to do it for months and just haven't seen a single flight that looked good.

I know of a guy who commutes to IAH from CDG and he never has any problems and that is with the restriction of cabin seat only for international.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
As for BRU, it goes out rather filled most of the time, especially once the summer is over and business travel demand increases. Even with the 777, loads are high; many CO employees based in BRU take the train to non-rev out of CDG where there are more options. As for reward seats, EWR-BRU is one of the toughest routes around on CO, I think that poster is very lucky; I as a Platinum Elite (and with the help of some friends) book reward/upgrade travel in bizfirst months in advance on BRU-EWR or its impossible to get.

I booked BF upgrade travel to BRU 10 days in advance this May, and it and FRA were the only ones that were available. Two summers ago, BRU and FRA were the only ones I could get to the EU on as well, using BF award seats.

Getting home was a different story, as I had options out of various cities, and I came home fram HAM.

Currently, there are Standard Economy awards available nearly every day in September and October on the BRU route. 54 days in those two months. BF is mostly booked due to business travel picking up, as you say, but not Y.

In August, there are still BF and Y seats available most days. BRU is the most wide open flight in terms of rewards for these three months. FRA is filling up, CDG despite 3 flights a day has few available reward seats in September, etc.

Of course this does not necessarily translate to non-rev availability for Y the day of travel, but it seems the 777 to BRU just doesn't fill up as quickly as the other planes...

For God's sake DON'T try to get on IAH-CDG!!!!

Can't get an award seat, either.

dutchjet

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 12):

Interesting how experiences can vary.

For God's sake DON'T try to get on IAH-CDG!!!!

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 11):
I know of a guy who commutes to IAH from CDG and he never has any problems and that is with the restriction of cabin seat only for international.

Same comment.

-------

The group comparing notes here really do know what they are talking about, and we have all had different experiences with the exact same flights and destinations.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 am

Fall is the easiest time to non-rev. Anywhere. Mid to late Sept. and October as people are off holidays and kids are in school. It is when we go on hols too.
You can't cure stupid

pacallen

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 14):

Fall is the easiest time to non-rev. Anywhere. Mid to late Sept. and October as people are off holidays and kids are in school. It is when we go on hols too.

Mid January through early March is good too. After spring break/easter cools down, bookings arent bad until summer hits.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Pacallen (Reply 15):
Mid January through early March is good too. After spring break/easter cools down

That, too. Big grin
You can't cure stupid

justlump

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:34 am

Without a doubt, the two easiest non-rev trips over the pond are CO4 and CO34, the two daily frequencies between IAH and LGW. Seats start opening up after October and if you can wait until Jan-Feb, you almost have your pick of seats.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos