IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sad Day For Houston Air Traffic...AX Retires

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:07 am

In Honor of AX's Last ATC Day.  Sad

For those of you who fly in the Houston Terminal Airspace a true ICON has retired. Yes, after 23 years at IAH, Tower and TRACON, "AX" has retired. August 3, 2007, his last transmission, last day on the job...doesn't the date of August 3rd ring a bell, the day we both got hired.

AX, he has his own waypoint now on the RIICE/AGGEE arrivals to IAH, a true legend as we call him, those who loved him and his work. My pleasure was to be able to work on his crew for a very long time.....man did we move the tin back then in the day.

AX, the originator of BTA's locally loved by the crew, both ours and BTA's for the most part (hated during phraseology training) "JETLINCOLN", no not Jetlink, JETLINCOLN! Now there are only 2 of us left that say that from time to time. Colgan to AX was "COLDONE"....perfect for the kid from Porter, TX, call himself a "Porter EEKAN", drank the National Beer of Porter.....BUSCH LITE! What a guy.

So many stories from the years, waaaaaay too many to list on here.....from days in the tower when pilot's would hear on the radio when he worked local and a squeeze play was on, "COA111 taxi fast, I'll clear ya later" to the famous TRACON line for the slam dunk "SWA23 get dirty" to the often used and never forgotten GLAND Arrival FM1960 transition to at the time 14R.....total professional and fun happy go luck guy.

We did the days of Metro to the STOL, the Eastern Airlines midnight cargo flights, calling MD-80's high tech Bubba Jets (Texas Internationals term for DC9's in the day), B733 when they first came out calling them Super Hoovers, to the "Pencil Jet" term that has stuck nation wide for the E135/E145's............. we had a blast in the tower and graded landings, didn't matter what day, you bounced you got 2 or 3 scores with the total score for that landing above 6....then the pilot who asked for a little lower one day, AX lowers his voice 2 octaves and says, "how's this".......to descent at co-pilots discretion.......the reply often was how did you know he/she was flying? AX says, them video screens aren't for your viewing only, to the songs to our pal Dan, the pilot......."Oh Danny Boy" we'd at times sing as he flew into or out of IAH, and yes, he was one of the inventors of the Houston TRACON departure program of "NO SPEED LIMIT", in other words haul ass......EHA Mode he called, Extreme Haul Ass, those of you who fly know of it, 7 years of fun and expeditious movement of traffic until our employer caved and it all ended after Super Bowl 2004 in Houston! The stories go on and on and on.

Those who remember these and many others, please honor AX and raise a can of Busch Lite tonight in honor of our "LEGEND". We love you AX and we are gonna miss your noises in the building, your humor and love of life everywhere you go.......Enjoy the dragsters and much more......see ya on the lake and the inner tubes!

Love ya pal, from all of us, pilots who had the sincere pleasure of talking with you to all those who had the pleasure of working in the same room right next to ya to those who have only read of or heard ya on United CH9.........we love ya man!

He doesn't want a party to celebrate his almost 30 years of service but to those who know him/us (you know who you are) drop me an instant message and we will find a time to surprise him with a drop into Porter Party one day and enjoy some real quality time with my PAL.

CEEEEEEEE YA.

P.S. For those of you still asking for Dick.........as AX would tell ya on frequency change, "say hi to my good buddy DICK". Folks, DICK has left the building!
 wave   trophy   highfive   bigthumbsup   champagne 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

sccutler

RE: Sad Day For Houston Air Traffic...AX Retires

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:59 am

IAHFLYR, is he, by chance, the "big dog" who stepped in and released me from my air tour from hell back in Dec 05? Low voice, extreme negotiation, considerable cajoling, got $1.50 out of a buck's worth of airspace?

In any event, sounds like we'll miss 'im. Consider the glass raised, to a pro.

Hear-hear!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 1):
is he, by chance, the "big dog" who stepped in and released me from my air tour from hell back in Dec 05? Low voice, extreme negotiation, considerable cajoling, got $1.50 out of a buck's worth of airspace?

No sir.....he would have gotten $3 out of the buck's worth!  Smile No, it wasn't him but he is responsible for the training of who did get you to HOU!  Smile See, I remember that day.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

mdodd

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:39 pm

He sounds amazing, do you have any archives from like LiveATC.net? Would love to hear some audio.

ANCFlyer

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:56 pm

The guy sounds like a hoot . . . .

Had a UA pilot drive me back to ANC in April . . .

Similar exchanges - and I surmise - relationship with ATC in ORD . . . .

I had an opportunity to speak with him as we were delayed ORD-ANC a bit (forward non-closing cargo door). He sat with F pax and chatted . . . very personable. And damned funny.

Me thinks those folk are few and far vetween these days . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Mdodd (Reply 3):
He sounds amazing, do you have any archives from like LiveATC.net?

I'd bet someplace someone does, haha I've heard the actual tapes way to many times when we were both in the "chapel" for some things said on the radio!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
Me thinks those folk are few and far vetween these days . . .

Oh for sure, way to far between.

FlyHoss

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:26 am

IAHFLYER, Thanks for posting this. I didn't know his name (or yours) but I always recognized the voice and knew that a senior and very experienced Controller was behind it. And that is a very good thing. I often work periods - like holidays - that seem to staffed by junior folks (not just around IAH/HOU) and the difference is noticable.

"JetLincoln" was one of my favorite "ATC-isms" and AX's talent will be missed.

I fear that a period of transition is ahead, where a very experienced cadre will be forced to retire, replaced with relatively new Controllers that just don't have the experience, and therefore insight, of your class. Is there not much "middle ground" in the ranks?
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

5mileBob

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:54 am

Best of luck in retirement, AX, from the frozen north.
Still looks like a Ramp Rat

christiaan

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:02 am

As a relative ATC newbie ,working at Chicago Center I see these things all the time...great controllers retiring way to soon and the system loosing great skill in the process...
Good Luck on your retirement AX..I only have 17 years to go myself  Smile

Cheers,
CP
Chicago Center...
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright 1932

CalCaptRet

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:15 am

Enjoy your retirement AX. I've had the pleasure of working with you many times. From a retired Continental Captain, I'm hoisting a Busch lite right now, IN YOUR HONOR!

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 6):
"JetLincoln" was one of my favorite "ATC-isms" and AX's talent will be missed.

Yeah, I may get in lots of trouble for it but "Jetlincoln" will live as long as I am around the joint! I promise I'll quite in a few more years too.

Quoting CalCaptRet (Reply 9):
From a retired Continental Captain, I'm hoisting a Busch lite right now, IN YOUR HONOR!

Awesome.....thanks for your memories.....I've got tons of them and I love hearing what folks say that I know who fly for CO and WN in the local area.

Quoting Christiaan (Reply 8):
I only have 17 years to go myself

Enjoy it for sure......great career only hope it is as wonderful to you as it was for AX and even me.

SkyexRamper

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Well I've got a can of Miller Lite up for him!
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

OldProfessor

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:14 pm

From a former JetLincoln, thanks for safely weaving us all through the airspace and around those nasty Houston storms. You will be missed AX!

To IAHFLYR - thanks for the history lesson, I'm glad we still have you to keep em' moving!

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting OldProfessor (Reply 12):
thanks for the history lesson

You bet and thanks for playing along on Jetlincoln or as AX would at times say if I could get him to play along (yeah right, encourage him) "Jetchevy" or in honor of his first race car....."Jetnova"!  Smile

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Just thought of another AX' ism......when he'd talk to a helicopter he would interject the rotor blade sound into his voice sounding exactly like a copter sounds, had us all crying in the control room or tower, but the pilots without fail would only reply with an open mic and you could hear the laughing in the background. Just another case of AX being AX.

YZFOO7F

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:30 pm

Reading the stories of AX reminds me of the movie Pushing Tin. Maybe the screen writers studied him while putting the characters together?
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting YZFOO7F (Reply 15):
Maybe the screen writers studied him while putting the characters together?

Smile If they had the movie would have been much better and much closer to what actually goes on.

kanebear

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:39 am

A great way to properly immortalize 'im would be to collect all the anecdotes you can and put up a webpage with stories, audio clips, etc. Doesn't have to be pretty to get the job done! Hell, you can put a can of Busch up for the background! Make sure he stays busy and doesn't get rusty. Retiring does BAD things to people.

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 17):
Retiring does BAD things to people

Not this guy, he has way too many things to keep him going on the right side of things.

One more AXism.....working an arrival sector, told quite a few to cancel the speed contraint at the cornerpost....later gives a crossing altitude as they turn downwind, all is well until this one arrival is observed traversing the ground at 39 kts....with about 14 aircraft on frequency AX transmits in a whisper...."hey XXX4567 you really need to be at 250 KIAS below 10,000' MSL but don't worry about it, nobody will hear this". Can't tell ya how many great comments that brought.

Enjoy the retirement pal, you earned it.  Smile

xjet

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 am

Man......I just got finished with a trip and saw this. So depressing for those of us who used to enjoy having him control us, but what a great new beginning for AX! The guy is a legend. I am happy to have been clearance to "get dirty" for 27 after a long red-eye from MMLO! And I will never forget him taking the time in an extremely bad Wx day in IAH to tell me and my FO the story of the aforementioned "Hooter's Transition" for 14R. Hell, I don't even remember 14R!

Congrats on a successful career AX! You will be missed!

modesto2

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:41 pm

I always wondered about this guy... It's sad to see him leave, but as IAHFLYR has detailed, the legend will continue! Good luck AX  Smile

IAHFLYR, who's the happy guy that works IAH tower, ground and clearance? Hearing his voice upon check-in with tower always brought a smile to my face. And how have things been at the IAH TRACON lately? All the best from LAX...

[email protected]

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:49 pm

I'll never forget the day I checked in with appoach and said I "uniform." He asked "how's that uniform...smelly yet?" I replied, "same shirt for four days, still good." Without a beat, he clears us down and for the approach to 27. Gotta love the days of the Beech 1900 from HOU to IAH. And how about, "call Yao Ming on 124.7." He means call center, since Yao is the center for Houtson. Only the locals would understand. Of course i asked about Dick as well.

lincoln

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Thread starter):
For those of you who fly in the Houston Terminal Airspace a true ICON has retired. Yes, after 23 years at IAH, Tower and TRACON, "AX" has retired. August 3, 2007, his last transmission, last day on the job...doesn't the date of August 3rd ring a bell, the day we both got hired

Wow... I don't know how I missed this for half a week...didn't realize I had the pleasure of watching one of a legend's last days.

Anyway... 23 years is quite an accomplishment!

Lincoln
(in no way related to the aforementioned JetLincoln)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting [email protected]IAH (Reply 21):
I'll never forget the day I checked in with appoach and said I "uniform." He asked "how's that uniform...smelly yet?" I replied, "same shirt for four days, still good." Without a beat, he clears us down and for the approach to 27. Gotta love the days of the Beech 1900 from HOU to IAH. And how about, "call Yao Ming on 124.7." He means call center, since Yao is the center for Houtson. Only the locals would understand. Of course i asked about Dick as well.

Darn, I forgot about Yao Ming........he didn't even like basketball either! Yeah, he had a way with things for sure. Thanks for the replies, this will be printed for "Dick" as will all of them.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 22):
didn't realize I had the pleasure of watching one of a legend's last days.

Yes sir, you witnessed first hand my friend, even though you didn't know it, nor did I at the time that he was going to pull the plug!  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos