Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Farzan
Topic Author

SQ Service = Crew First, Then PAX

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Let me just say first of all, SQ is my preferred airline.

However, I had a strange experience on my flight CPH-SIN in J-class this Saturday. In spite of a full flight the seat next to me was empty except for during dinner service. A gentleman (not in uniform) came and sat down. It later turned up that he was one of the first officers onboard. He as well as I ordered steak for dinner and he was promptly served. I was informed that my dinner option was not available?

I did not protest but might have looked a little bit disappointed because later the purser came to my seat and offered me 50 SGD as compensation.

I told him that I did not ask for any compensation but I was wondering whether it is the policy of SQ that crew service has priority over paying pax. He said yes it is in fact the policy and he mentioned something about pilot's union.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Fly2CHC

RE: SQ Service = Crew First, Then PAX

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:25 pm

That's disgusting. Crew, and airline employees traveling on duty or rebated travel, usually get served after fare paying passengers.

Transpac787

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Fly2CHC (Reply 1):
That's disgusting. Crew, and airline employees traveling on duty or rebated travel, usually get served after fare paying passengers.

If he was one of the relief pilots for the flight, the pilot contract at SQ may stipulate that they get first choice of meals.

You would be correct thought, that at most airlines all nonrev passengers are given choice of meals last. But, again, if he was on duty, he may be first priority. If that is the case, it is hardly "disgusting".

ACFA

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:30 pm

So? If the crew had served the F/O in the cockpit, you wouldn't have known that an additional steak was available. Its very difficult to get all the passengers their first choice of meals, I think many people understand that. Is it just the perception that concerns you?

I agree that employees on personal travel should be served after paying customers, if at all. However operating crew should have priority, since they need to be healthy and comfortable to operate the flight. Can you imagine if you were the pilot and the only choices that were left were ones you couldn't eat? It happened to me once on a Delhi flight, only vegitarian options were left. Needless to say I did not eat for the 8 hour flight to Zurich. If the pilots managed to get the stipulation for meal options in their union contract, good for them I say. It surprises me since I never believed Singapore or Hong Kong unions actually have any power.

n710ps

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting Fly2CHC (Reply 1):

Get over yourself. Union agreements and comapny policy regulate it. On long haul flights it is policy to bump or downgrade passengers for crew rest purposes on most carriers as well . We are humans as well.  Wink Non rev on the other hand is a diffrent story. Take what you can get but on duty and I assume he was either the releif F/O or the assinged F/O on his rest period the treatment is the same as a revenue pax because they are flight crew. bottom line. If it is a meal flight the flight deck crew gets prioroty over everyone on board and that is always how it will be.

N1120A

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):

I agree that employees on personal travel should be served after paying customers, if at all.

I disagree. Non rev travel is part of their employment with the airline. In lieu of extra pay, benefits or whatever, they get to travel for free or cheap. They should be treated equally.

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):
However operating crew should have priority, since they need to be healthy and comfortable to operate the flight.

Well then, perhaps they shouldn't have let him have the steak  Wink

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):
It happened to me once on a Delhi flight, only vegitarian options were left. Needless to say I did not eat for the 8 hour flight to Zurich.

What is wrong with a vegetarian meal?

Transpac787

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 4):
If it is a meal flight the flight deck crew gets prioroty over everyone on board and that is always how it will be.

And, the way it SHOULD be!!

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):
I agree that employees on personal travel should be served after paying customers, if at all.

"If at all"....That's going a bit far, don't you think?? What end purpose would that serve?? An example, to the rest of the passengers, maybe?? "We do have excellent service. We only serve you, and not our employees."  Yeah sure

But, you are correct.....employees on personal travel are served after the paying passengers.

Norcal773

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:07 pm

I think whether he was on duty or not, it should be first come first served. If he ordered he steak before you, fair enough but if not, the something is wrong with the picture. Who cares though, 50 SGD is 3 beers in Singapore but a whole 72 pack in the US.  biggrin 

I did sit next to a relief pilot on SQ 16 a few months ago and he was more into the IFE than I was..lol. Seemed to be enjoying himself and we chatted for a while.

kanebear

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 pm

IMO flight deck should get priority. My life is in their hands, I want them *happy*.

AA7295

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 8):
IMO flight deck should get priority. My life is in their hands, I want them *happy*.

You're so right... haha

changyou

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Only on duty flight crew will be serve whenever they wanted and whatever we have on board. Choices of maincourses will be set aside for them before taking orders from passengers. The gentlement seated next to you was indeed a flight officer on duty on your flight. non-rev employees will not get such treatments. They are equally treated like rev passengers.

Ansett767

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm

Each flight crew has to eat a different meal to the others in the cockpit in case of poisoning, food poisoning etc.

And so maybe it was the only meal left after the other crew had requested theirs.

This is fair enough. however if he wasn't actually flying then its not on!

Norcal773

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 11):
Each flight crew has to eat a different meal to the others in the cockpit in case of poisoning, food poisoning etc.

Really??

Fly2CHC

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):
Its very difficult to get all the passengers their first choice of meals

If I am a revenue passenger in J, this is something which I expect I am paying for.

May be I overreacted with the term 'disgusting', but imagine how this is perceived to the potentially very high value/loyal customers sitting around him.

HowSwedeitis

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):

Maybe too much paprika Alireza? LOL...  Silly  Wink

I have never heard of such a thing. Makes sense though...

Farzan, did he offer to cut you off a piece?  Wink

SingaporeBoy

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Thats what you expect...but wont get all the time.All airlines cannot cater 100% choices of all meals due to space constraints in the ovens and of course wastage.Even in First Class.Imagine if there were 30 business class paxs with 3 choices they would have to cater 90meals so that all 30 paxs can have their choice?Not feasible....and imagine the wastage.The seat next to you was blocked off for the pilots crew rest...so they have the choice of either sleeping in the bunk or taking the seat.You are actually very lucky that the purser gave you the voucher because you werent entitled to it just because you didnt get your choice of meals.It was just a goodwill gesture.Pilots get first choice of meals when they eat business class...and yes all have to take different meals in case of food poisoning.If they wanted First Class..then they would have to wait till the First Class paxs have their choice.

Ansett767

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 14):
I have never heard of such a thing. Makes sense though...

Im not sure on every airline but on a few SQ SA etc.... they do....

Any pilots on here can confirm from other airlines? or cabin crew who can?

Farzan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi howsvedeitis

No he did not offer me a piece of the steak. He was not very talkative at all.

Wonder if he was the guy involved in the "wingclipping" at Changi the night before. (only joking)

tdscanuck

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Farzan (Thread starter):
I told him that I did not ask for any compensation but I was wondering whether it is the policy of SQ that crew service has priority over paying pax. He said yes it is in fact the policy and he mentioned something about pilot's union.

Good service companies (and passenger airlines are partly service companies) realize that you have to treat your employees at least as well as your paying customers or your service will rapidly suffer and you won't have any paying customers.

Tom.

GneissGuy

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:50 pm

Hmm.......i'd take the S$50 anytime!

otnysaslhr

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Most airlines I know of provide different main course (e.g. meat/fish) for active crew to avoid the possibility of both pilots being disabled due to sickness

N747PE

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:05 pm

I worked for two airlines in the mid 80's and both had a policy that cockpit crews were not allowed to eat the same meals due to possible food poisoning. I always felt sorry for the poor FE because on more than one flight, I had to make sandwiches from the emergency rations so we could remain in compliance with the no duplication rule

AUA747

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 pm

I disagree. Non rev travel is part of their employment with the airline. In lieu of extra pay, benefits or whatever, they get to travel for free or cheap. They should be treated equally.

Non-rev travel is a perk, if you want to be treated equally, pay for your travel. All non revs know before hand that they are last in line for meal option and also last in line to get a seat. Most of the time, non-rev do get extra perks onboard, this was my case with CO. If bizz is full I still get the bizz meal (eventhough it might not be my first choice, but it is still better then the coach meal if there is any) or free alcohol drinks

FLYGUY767

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:22 pm

There have been some obnoxious posts on Airliners.net, but this one has got to take the cake. In essence you are saying that the airline should offer the same meal options and service at the expense of the airline to a non-reving airline employee? Why dont you just close of Business Class and turn it into an employee lounge while you are at it? If my this mentality alone the US airlines would be stark raving bankrupt all over again. The cost of a premium meal service, combined with premium amenities on a long-haul international service such as JFK-NRT does not mitigate the non-reving airline employee being offered the meal before anyone else. In fact as by proper airline measures all non-reving airline employees are to receive meals and board the aircraft last.

Airlines are not in business to cart employees around on non-reving trips. They are in business to make money. They are not going to make money if they are offering a meal choice to a non-reving employee over the paid Business Class traveller. I dont want to be rude, but I have noticed that this tone of "We are Flight Attendants, we are here only for your safety, dont expect us to stow your cabin baggage even if you are struggling, dont ever interrupt us if we are gossiping among ourselves, we deserve management pay, we deserve to be served first" is persistent among a number of US based Airliners.net members that are Flight Attendants. Why is that? Where is it written that they are anymore important that a fare paying Business Class or Economy Class passenger in their time off?

Remember non-reving is a privilege, not a perk..

-JD

PhilSquares

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 23):

What a laugh! This has nothing to do with the topic, but yes it's been a common theme among posters. For the record, the GENTLEMAN IN QUESTION WAS PART OF THE CREW, HE WAS NOT A NON-REV! What part of that statement don't people understand.

I'm sorry if people object to what/when/how/why this person was served first but he is on duty. SQ blocks a seat for the crew (one on this flight) in J class. If you don't like it, tough luck. This person was most likely off duty first and was on his way to the bunk after his meal. I suppose it would have been ok to have him sleep first then have a meal? Get a life!

I have to laugh the way some people complain here.

Quoting Farzan (Thread starter):
I was informed that my dinner option was not available?

Is there a point here? Did you want steak? Or did you want some other entree and you just thought you'd throw that in? Sorry but as an operating crew, I don't eat leftovers. NOT what I get paid for. If I'm non-rev, then anything is fine with me, but on the job...sorry!!!!

OHLHD

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 16):

I am not a pilot nor a F/A but work on ground and can confirm that pilots never get the same ( especially on longer flights) to avoid the possibility of food poisoning.

Quoting OtnySASLHR (Reply 20):
(e.g. meat/fish)

AFAIK fish is hardly served due to the danger of a fish poisoning.

Quoting AUA747 (Reply 22):
All non revs know before hand that they are last in line for meal option and also last in line to get a seat.

Not 100% correct. Most of the time the crew does not care if I am a staff or not. I get what I want despite telling them on longhaul flights that I am travelling Stand-By. As for the seat OK I had/have to wait sometimes.  Smile

Transpac787

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 23):

PhilSquares was pretty much right on the money with his "what a laugh" comment.

Maybe you forget, that it is the airline who PREFERS to give away this benefit. It is not a "privilege" as you say, and N1120A was right on in his explanation about how nonrev travel is a perk, in lieu of additional pay and benefits.

And, you know full well it was not his intention to insinuate that First Class should just be turned into an "employee lounge"......that was one of the greatest stretches of someone's words I've seen in a LONG time. His actual point was, if there are seats available, they should be given to the employees on the standby list, and those employees given seats should be treated equally as the other passengers. He was not trying to suggest that employees are given seats first, followed by people who actually brought tickets...a point in which you launched into your entire tirade about.

All the while...everyone seems to forget, what is the harm in greasing the wheels a little?!?! With many airline employees so unhappy with wage and benefit cuts, what harm comes from letting them ride in First/Business when they vacation?? You have got to make them happy where you can...

GBan

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Reply 16):

I'm neither pilot nor cabin crew, but it's the same for Lufthansa.

pilotaydin

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 am

at my airline they look after us too, what's the big deal? we spend 12-14 hours in that plane about 21 days a month, so what if we get a lil service first....

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 26):
And, you know full well it was not his intention to insinuate that First Class should just be turned into an "employee lounge"......that was one of the greatest stretches of someone's words I've seen in a LONG time.

For having joined Airliners in July of this year... You sure seem to have reinvented the term "Long Time"

His actual point was, if there are seats available, they should be given to the employees on the standby list, and those employees given seats should be treated equally as the other passengers.

Even if it proves to be a financial loss to the airlines?

It is not a "privilege" as you say, and N1120A was right on in his explanation about how nonrev travel is a perk, in lieu of additional pay and benefits.

It is a "privilege" as it can be taken away at anytime..

All the while...everyone seems to forget, what is the harm in greasing the wheels a little?!?!

Sorry please explain.. "greasing the wheels "

With many airline employees so unhappy with wage and benefit cuts, what harm comes from letting them ride in First/Business when they vacation??

The harm is that in the eyes of the fare paying passenger this practice is merit less. In the United States, more so than any other country the domestic First Class products have become so diluted as indeed the Flight Attendant(non-reving), goes to the Gate Agent(a friend), who upgrades the Flight Attendant and then when the 100k Flyer approaches the Gate Agent they are denied the upgrade as the Gate Agent has given the seat away to a non-rev airline employee. Airlines are not in business to be carting employees around for free on their days off, they are in business to make money. That is why more and more airlines are making it harder and harder to non-rev.

This method has been seen time and time again. When I was employed by American Airlines it got so bad we were told that if we offer any sort of preferential treatment to non-reving passengers over fare paying passengers the airline would have grounds for our termination. I cant tell you how many times since I have left being a Flight Attendant I have witnessed non-reving airline employees and on duty Flight Attendants chatting the whole flight away.

On a recent flight from JFK-SFO on United Airlines Premium Service I saw a fellow passenger who was a non-reving commuter chat the whole flight away and gossiping about United Airlines internal issues. There was an elderly Australian couple in back of me who had to keep ringing their Flight Attendant call button to get a glass of water, finally I got out of my seat and went over to the Flight Attendant and asked her if she heard the Flight Attendant call button. She looked at me and said "Yeah, I will get it. All the while the on duty Flight Attendant was sitting in the vacant First Class seat next to her. Is that professional? Is that the way that passengers should be treated?

I have seen cases like this time and time again in the United States. I know we have an extremely casual culture, but when it comes to premium product, try to be professional. I know it would seem such a stretch of the imagination to think that they should do the job they are paid are paid to do..

You have got to make them happy where you can...

Their happiness and appeasing comes after you have offered all possible upgrades and service to Elite, and fare paying passengers..

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 24):
What a laugh! This has nothing to do with the topic

It has everything to do with a reply to the topic.. Please take a moment to review..

Again I insist that treating the "non-rev" employee equally to a full fare paying First or Business Class traveller should come only after every other passenger has been served, and every possible upgrade has been given out to Elite or full fare paying passengers first. Airline employees need to take a backseat unless their contract as in the case of Singapore Airlines has proved otherwise. However seeing a cremwmember scarf a meal down their throat at 35,000 feet in full view of passengers is no worse than seeing a Flight Attendant smoke in uniform.

-JD

ikramerica

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:38 am

I can see this being for pilots only. It makes sense there, to maximize rest.

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 29):
In the United States, more so than any other country the domestic First Class products have become so diluted as indeed the Flight Attendant(non-reving), goes to the Gate Agent(a friend), who upgrades the Flight Attendant and then when the 100k Flyer approaches the Gate Agent they are denied the upgrade as the Gate Agent has given the seat away to a non-rev airline employee.

I saw this the other day on US. They have 2 simultaneous flights to LAX from PHX, one is an RJ and one is mainline. Well, the RJ was cancelled due to low loads, and the F/A from that flight was heading back to LAX (since she wasn't working the flight anymore). So they put her on our flight. No problem there.

But they put her in F, and then denied upgrade to someone waiting to be cleared. If that's the airline policy, it's a bad one

On a side note, she was very cute with nice legs, and these two guys next to me in the terminal, a guy in his 20s and someone who looked like his dad or grandfather (they looked and acted related) were smitten. The older guy kept telling the younger guy to go talk to her, to "do something about it" etc, but the kid was too nervous. It was pretty funny.

rlorenzo24

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:57 am

As the gentleman in question seemed to not appear to have a uniform, he was in fact a cockpit crew member taking his break at the same time the passenger next to him was being served. The situation was odd because the passenger had asked for what the cockpit member was getting and should have been explained by the flight crew that this was a cockpit member on his break etc and that his meal was seperate from what the passengers get. Passengers don't understand that there is no space on an a/c for 100% allotment of every choice. This is why airlines go to the trouble of printing an apology on the menu stating WE APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE IF YOUR FIRST CHOICE IS NOT AVAILABLE. This is not a restaurant after all. If meat is vitally important to him, he should bring it with him next time. A probable option would have been for the crew to have had the crew member eat his meal in the galley, then sit down

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Rlorenzo24 (Reply 31):
A probable option would have been for the crew to have had the crew member eat his meal in the galley, then sit down

Now there is common sense...  bigthumbsup 

-JD

9VSIO

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 24):
This has nothing to do with the topic

It has everything to do with a reply to the topic.. Please take a moment to review..

Err, I have to agree with Phil here. The topic is about FLIGHT CREW, not cabin crew. not non-revving airline employees, although I don't blame you for going off track, I think someone did that a few posts ago.

Quoting ACFA (Reply 3):
It surprises me since I never believed Singapore or Hong Kong unions actually have any power.

ALPA-S has given a few headaches before :P If I remember, one of the recent issues was moving the crew rest from First to Raffles and the ex-Prime Minister of Singapore had to step in a few times to help sort things out!

Plus, Phil actually works there, so I would take his word over the others.

I hope Farzan had a good flight overall though.

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 33):
Err, I have to agree with Phil here. The topic is about FLIGHT CREW, not cabin crew. not non-revving airline employees, although I don't blame you for going off track, I think someone did that a few posts ago

Sorry I got off track with the below listed comment by N1120A

I am going to refrain from detracting anymore from the topic.. In reference to the Flight Crew if he was in uniform he should have refrained from using a passenger seat to dine in. If he was not in uniform the passengers would have not known otherwise and their would not be such a problem to deal with. The Flight Attendant should have better explained the reason the Flight Crewmember was served his meal before the passenger.

-JD

SingaporeBoy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 am

In a perfect world....you would get everything you wanted and everything goes the way you want it to go.But this is the real world.....people working for airlines get a few perks,businessmen on business paid by their company get to fly Business Class and First Class...and get to keep the miles....
And besides....arent we all human?Shouldnt we all be treated equally rather than bitching about who gets what or who didnt...?If you really wanted the steak so badly....and knew they were serving it...you could have always asked the FA to reserve one for you before she took the orders.Similarly....if you wanted a particular seat or be upgraded then go to the airport early or tell them while you are making the reservation and ask for it and tell them you are a gazillion miler and tell them you hold a super duper platinum frequent flier card.

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting SingaporeBoy (Reply 35):
Shouldnt we all be treated equally rather than bitching about who gets what or who didnt...?If you really wanted the steak so badly....and knew they were serving it...you could have always asked the FA to reserve one for you before she took the orders.Similarly....if you wanted a particular seat or be upgraded then go to the airport early or tell them while you are making the reservation and ask for it and tell them you are a gazillion miler and tell them you hold a super duper platinum frequent flier card

The whole probelm could have been resolved if the Flight Attendant would have taken the time to explain the reason the Flight Deck Member was served first.

-JD

Bofredrik

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 am

I think that every passenger should
have the same service in the class
they travel in. Despite if they are
paying passengers, crew or staff
on vacation etc. But i have own
experience that airline staff could
demand MORE despite that they
travel almost for nothing. And that
is a attitude problem more than
anything else.

SingaporeBoy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:50 am

Didnt he?....didnt he answer the question and say that it was the policy and it had to do with their union contract...?Isnt that reason enough?

flight7e7

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 am

This is a turn of events, from my recent experience..... recently flew SQ-J LAX/TPE (new seats-ok but not as comfortable as I would have thought-bench is short, no support for calves)...in any case, on duty crew member sat right across the aisle.....I heard the conversation (and the flight was no where near full as is usually the case)...between him and the lead F/A-purser, saying that LAX only boarded x number of meals-and said they could offer him econ meals...but would have to service the pax first. I am PPS on SQ, but did not give it a second thought from a service standpoint. Good heavens, SQ is like an airborne gourmet restaurant. There is more excellent quality food on board than can possibly be consumed even during the longest haul (EWR-SIN).

Therefore, in summary, the guy next to me might very well be the one getting our backsides safely to wherever these lofty machines might be traveling to, I say let 'em eat steak! Besides, with all that SQ offers in mains and snacks.... and the fact that it is a slow burn when sitting so long, the lighter fare, IMHO, tends to be more appetizing albeit healthier.

Cheers to SQ for always doing the fine job that they do....in a not so perfect world of airline service, they are as close to perfect as is humanly possible.

Cheers!

SingaporeBoy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:39 am

Flight 7E7...in actual fact...that too is policy.On SQ long haul flights where there are double crewing for the technical crew...meaning 4 of them....if there is only 3 choices of main course in the Business Class....one of the technical crew will have to take an economy class meal if he wanted to eat first.However if any of the other tech crew opt for a First Class meal (which he would have to wait for)..then he is entitled to have a Business Class meal.Very likely that crew member was a junior one as most of the time the choice would go down the rank....

sw733

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 am

And so maybe it was the only meal left after the other crew had requested theirs.

That's exaclty what I thought when I read this.

tockeyhockey

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:09 am

a lot of companies have a "customers first" mentality. and there's some reason for them to think that this is the best way to go about things. but the reality is that if you have an "employees first" mentality, they will in turn treat the customers very well.

after all, bad customer service usually comes from people who feel under-appreciated or taken advantage of in the work place.

i'm all for treating employees well, since i believe that happy employees will treat me well in return.

N702ML

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:29 am

In the past (pre 9-11 days), I was a flight attendant for one of the US legacy carriers.

I recall SPECIFICALLY being told in initial flight attendant training that as non-revs we were NOT to ask: "Is there enough of a certain meal?" or What do you have the most of?"

Meal orders in first and business classes were taken from front to back (or back to front) depending on flight number and we were told, as nonrevs, to order WHAT we wanted when it was our turn to order without worrying about the quantity of meals available.

I guess the reasoning was, they would rather have a high-yield revenue customer go without their first choice of meals than be tipped off to the fact that the person next to them was flying for free by asking questions or making comments about the number of meals/meal choices available.

I am not saying this policy was right OR wrong....just reporting on what the policy was.

n710ps

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 34):
I am going to refrain from detracting anymore from the topic.. In reference to the Flight Crew if he was in uniform he should have refrained from using a passenger seat to dine in

Look slick, you seem to go after the flight crew in every thread on this site like you have it out for airline pilots and other airline employees. If you do have a vendetta, take it elsewhere. As a crew member from the flight deck on long haul it is imperative that they have some comforts on board. Just because you got a raw deal at AA or were a F/A or whatever it was does not mean the rest of the airline world needs to hear it from you. This F/O had every right to do what he did and that is t hat. I can imagine if you were on the flight. What would you be the vigilanty of the flight. Get up and tell the F/O no you cannot have this or sit there, it is not fiar and give the steak ot the fare paying pax or something.  laughing   laughing   laughing  I could almost see it now. You did not have many freinds in your time with the airlines I take it. Anyway, back to the busines at hand. Lets resume the bickering of anet as usual. I just felt the urge to clear some things up that irked me. Now it is time to head to an airport and actually go to work.

Ciao!!

Transpac787

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:35 am

For having joined Airliners in July of this year... You sure seem to have reinvented the term "Long Time"

You're absolutely right....twisting of someone's words is something that only happens on a.net, therefore I have incredibly limited experience with it, and I submit to your infinite wisdom.....

Even if it proves to be a financial loss to the airlines?

How do you think it would translate to a loss?? Other than Delta, all legacy airlines charge nonrevs the taxes and fees for international segments. In addition to this, there is also a base cost, that goes directly to the airline.

It is a "privilege" as it can be taken away at anytime..

Not without good reason. Do you think there is some corporate guy staring at a computer screen full of employees names, and says "Hmm, I think I'll cut John Smith's flight benefits today....."
The only time flight benefits will ever be suspended or revoked is if the employee committed some sort of infraction with the nonrev travel agreement.

Sorry please explain.. "greasing the wheels "

Making good with your employees.......

The harm is that in the eyes of the fare paying passenger this practice is merit less. In the United States, more so than any other country the domestic First Class products have become so diluted as indeed the Flight Attendant(non-reving), goes to the Gate Agent(a friend), who upgrades the Flight Attendant and then when the 100k Flyer approaches the Gate Agent they are denied the upgrade as the Gate Agent has given the seat away to a non-rev airline employee.

So, you feel rare and random cases like this are enough to completely disallow all nonrev travel??

This does happen, I've personally seen it while nonrevving. However, this is not the way the system is supposed to work, and is not the way the system works 99% of the time. As a nonrev, if you list for first class, you typically aren't given a seat until final boarding. This way, all frequent fliers and other revenue pax are given all the opportunities to request and get upgrades. If they do not, these seats are finally given away to the nonrevs. How is that so wrong??

Their happiness and appeasing comes after you have offered all possible upgrades and service to Elite, and fare paying passengers..

Exactly as it is done on a daily basis, on every flight.

Edit: Grammar

[Edited 2007-08-06 21:36:37]

rlorenzo24

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 42):

If only airline companies, with the exception of Southwest, thought like you, there would be no such thing as "labor tensions" or pilots calling in sick forcing the cancellation of 700 flights (like NWA). The motto is, treat your employees like crap and they will be more productive. It's the Crandall way of doing business. Has it worked so far? I don't think so. Does anyone?

SWISSER

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 am

Just a stupid question, but wasn't his steak part of HIS crewmeal?

sv2008

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:29 am

I'd like to know this!!!!

I always fly economy and as a vegetarian I have to pre order with the airline before flight. All the times I've flown I've always got my meal first before everyone else, and it has been much nicer than the regular meat meals my family got! Pretty good for a no cost extra!

Business class is probably different, but some people automatically think that if it's vegetarian it's going to be bad?!! Vegetarian food can be really nice even for non-vegetarians (and it doesn't hurt to try it!).

rlorenzo24

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 47):

Yes, and because the passenger ordered one too, he felt that the FO should have given his to him.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos