DIA
Topic Author

DIA Runway-Rubber-Remover Killed This Morning...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:54 pm

Shame...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...cle/0,1299,DRMN_15_5660943,00.html

Worker was killed by the big brush machine that removes the stubborn rubber off the runways...
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

smokeyrosco

RE: DIA Runway-Rubber-Remover Killed This Morning...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:56 pm

What do these machines look like?
John Hancock

DIA
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 1):
What do these machines look like?

There is a photo at the link supplied. I can see two of these machines in the photo (w/ an F9 a/c t/o).
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

kc135topboom

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:40 am

Removing rubber is routine runway maintenance, but it is very noisy. There are several contractors who use different equipment.

SBN580

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 am

Two incidents in one week at DIA? Time for some major safety training review! When I worked at Edwards AFB, you took nothing for granted in crossing or working on or near runways, active or inactive. Especially in O dark thirty time you want to take special precaution. Shuttle landings at night could be the most hazardous. With all the support vehicle movement after a night landing, you could not bet that you would be seen by their headlights, even in our white coveralls. We would tape a glow stick on each arm and each leg for increased visibility. DIA certainly is not the place where you can do a total safety stand down, but everyone, including short-term contractors should know proper safety procedures, or your first mistake could very well be your last.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

XT6Wagon

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 4):
Two incidents in one week at DIA? Time for some major safety training review! When I worked at Edwards AFB, you took nothing for granted in crossing or working on or near runways, active or inactive. Especially in O dark thirty time you want to take special precaution. Shuttle landings at night could be the most hazardous. With all the support vehicle movement after a night landing, you could not bet that you would be seen by their headlights, even in our white coveralls. We would tape a glow stick on each arm and each leg for increased visibility. DIA certainly is not the place where you can do a total safety stand down, but everyone, including short-term contractors should know proper safety procedures, or your first mistake could very well be your last.

It amazes me how many people think just because there are rules/regulations/laws that say they have the right of way, go ahead and pick fights with bigger things. AKA pedestrians Vs equipment, Bicycles Vs cars, Cars Vs Semi's, etc.

In the real world its upto you to make sure you are safe, and to avoid getting runover by bigger things. All the right of way in the world is meaningless when its parked on your head.

So yes, it sounds like they need a safety review, both the standard OSHA style rules lawyer training, and the even more critical "old timer" yelling at people to stop being stupid in the break room.

airforceone

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:03 pm

I thought they used a brush wit steel bristles. I believe thats what YVR and YYZ uses.
I never even had the thought that water would be used.

AirForceOne

qblue

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:58 pm

YVR uses exactly the same method as DIA. They have the hyro-blaster like the one from rampart first followed by a regular street sweeper to pickup the water and rubber. Then a final sweep with the high speed sweeper like the one in the accident. They do rubber removal once or twice a year depending on rubber buildup. Sad to hear a mistake cost someone not coming home.

B52overSMF

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Sadly, this reminds me of the time I was in San Francisco and across the street from where a guy got ran over by a similar sweeping machine on the street. VERY messy and just bad news all around. I wonder how this guy missed the machine?
Conquerer of air molecules.

SASDC8

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 5):
In the real world its upto you to make sure you are safe, and to avoid getting runover by bigger things. All the right of way in the world is meaningless when its parked on your head

You are so right. I would think that even in the dark/at dusk one should be able to see the big yellow machine comeing towards you on the runway...
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

oly720man

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting B52overSMF (Reply 8):
I wonder how this guy missed the machine?

Ear defenders/PSE, distracted, familiarity.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

SBN580

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 5):
In the real world its upto you to make sure you are safe, and to avoid getting runover by bigger things. All the right of way in the world is meaningless when its parked on your head.

Hmm, I am not sure exactly where you are coming from on this. If you mean the individual has a responsibility, and not to have their hand held by regulation and government, then yes, I understand. Not having been there when it happened, I cannot know the exact causes. Yes, the individual should have been aware or become aware of the hazards. It is their responsibility. Having a little common sense can be half the issue. I mean we had one guy who was so clueless, he put a child in a live F-18 ejection seat. Fortunatley, it was without incident. However, in this case, if an investigation finds that the contractor or DIA was deficient in making him aware of hazards, or not making sure he was following good procedure, then they need to double their efforts in the future. That is all I am saying.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos