Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pitops
Topic Author

I Am Now A WN Employee

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:25 pm

I got the call today offering me the job I interviewed for in June. I officially start on August 20th. I can't wait!! I have to fly to Chicago on the 17th to fill out the last paperwork and get my employee badge. WOOHOO!!!
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

co777er

RE: I Am Now A WN Employee

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 pm

Congrats! Many people dream of that call!

roseflyer

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Congratulations. What type of job did you get?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

pitops
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):
Congratulations. What type of job did you get?

Customer Service

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Congrats! If you ever get down to HDQ, look me up...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mjlhou

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Welcome to WN! You're in for a great career! Good luck and hope you have many years with us!

MJLHOU
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

pitops
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):

I will be coming down in the middle of September for training for 2 weeks. No exact date yet though.

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 6):
I will be coming down in the middle of September for training for 2 weeks. No exact date yet though.

I'm on M-F the weeks of 9/10 and 9/17, and the first half of the week starting 9/24, 1400-2200 usually...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

atrude777

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Congrats man!

It truly is a great company.

I am a CSA for them in STL for a bit longer.

Then I am pursuing another position with them in Dallas.

I enjoyed the time as a CSA but it was very very hard and challenging at times for me, on top of being hearing impaired as well.

If you have any questions about training or whatnot please PM, ask me, or e-mail me whatever you want.

Dallas for training was truly and absolutely fun, I had a lot of fun there and made some great friends.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

pitops
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 8):
Dallas for training was truly and absolutely fun, I had a lot of fun there and made some great friends.

I heard it was a blast. I can't wait. And I'm always up for a challenge! I'm just glad I'm getting away from retail and getting into the aerospace world.

pitops
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
I'm on M-F the weeks of 9/10 and 9/17, and the first half of the week starting 9/24, 1400-2200 usually...

What do you do down there?

luvfa

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Welcome to the Southwest family!

LAXspotter

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 pm

Congratulations dude, I cant wait till i can say that, ive applied for WN as well

What were some of the questions they asked? What are some points you mentioned that they found to be interesting?

Thanks.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

n710ps

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Congrats man. I am on and off with a WN F/A right now and she says it is a fantastic outfit to work for.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

pitops
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 12):
Congratulations dude, I cant wait till i can say that, ive applied for WN as well

What were some of the questions they asked? What are some points you mentioned that they found to be interesting?

Thanks.

Hey bro. Hows LA? They ask you the basic interview questions. Like the ones where they put you in a certain situation and see how you would react or they ask about certain situation you HAVE been in and how you handled it. Main thing is to be positive. Try to keep the negativity out of the interview. Be happy and cheerful. Joke around some too. They are very friendly in the offices. That relaxed me quite a bit. Show how interested you are in aviation and the airline itself. Go in with some knowledge of the company too. Take some pics of some WN planes you've taken. I'm sure you've gotten some great ones at In & Out.

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 10):
What do you do down there?

It's in the profile..  Wink

N200WN

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Congratulations Luke and welcome to the family. I bet you can't wait for a day off to go flying wherever you want just because you can.

boeing743

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:51 am

Congratulation on your new job. I know you would be so happy about it. Enjoy work for WN the LVU airlines. I even enjoyed Airlines on Bravo. I wish you all the best at your new job.

atrude777

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting N200WN (Reply 16):
Congratulations Luke and welcome to the family. I bet you can't wait for a day off to go flying wherever you want just because you can.

God knows I flew everywhere on my two days off every week!!  Silly

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

N702ML

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

Hey guy...

Congrats! Welcome to the Southwest family! You going to be working in PIT?
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

r311music

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:15 am

Nice another WN employee on A.net. welcome aboard bro.
confusing use of time

pitops
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting N702ML (Reply 19):
Congrats! Welcome to the Southwest family! You going to be working in PIT?

Yeah I will be in PIT.

chris133

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 6):
Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):

Well stop by on your tour and say hey.

pitops
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting Chris133 (Reply 22):
Well stop by on your tour and say hey.

Where do you work at at DAL?

Silver1SWA

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting N200WN (Reply 16):
I bet you can't wait for a day off to go flying wherever you want just because you can.

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 18):
God knows I flew everywhere on my two days off every week!!

Yeah, now you get to look forward to being able to do things like, oh I dunno something like what I did this past week...

...wanting to meet up with friends visiting Vegas for 4 days, but you only have 3 of the days off. What happens when you have a shift to work right in the middle of those 4 days? You fly out the first night, fly back the next morning because you have work later that night cuz you couldn't get rid of the shift...work that shift, and fly back to Vegas the next morning and stay for the remaining two days. Of course in my case, SAN-LAS isn't a difficult trip to nonrev...  

The things you'll learn to do, all cuz you can...

But I wouldn't recommend doing it quite like that until you are off probation.  

Haha, welcome to the family!

[Edited 2007-08-08 08:46:12]

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Congrats.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

rsbj

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Congratulations! I'm a commuter out of PIT, and in case you don't know what that means yet...well you will soon! See you at the Gate with John, Kevin, Mark, and the rest of the gang!
Rick
I fly really fast and take a lot of chances.

wjcandee

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Let me just say that a thread like this shows more than anything I have seen all year why WN is renowned as such a great company to work for. Not only were folks congratulating this person, they were inviting him to PM them, visit them, etc. What an upbeat, happy bunch of folks!

I was amused that PITops didn't know who OPNLguy was, but it's probably just because OPNLguy and I seem to be interested in a lot of the same topics and so I see him all over this site. OTOH, with a RR of 65+, it probably would have been useful to look at his profile or a couple of his posts just to see who it was that was inviting me to visit... Doing so: (1) demonstrates respect for the person and (2) demonstrates an ability to figure stuff out for yourself rather than relying on others to tell you, which is more important than you may think.

As to advice to LAXSpotter, "be yourself" and "be positive" is good advice for any interview, but I would add the following as general interview/training period advice at any airline or well-managed company: (1) Treat everyone you encounter with respect, from the moment you leave your home on interview day (and during training) until you return to your home. It will put you in the right frame of mind for when you enounter a personality test that you don't see coming, such as where a van driver or receptionist does something to you (intentionally or unintentionally) and reports your reaction to HR. There are urban legends (at least some of which may be true) about WN and other companies who determine not to hire someone based upon how they treat support personnel on interview day or during training. (2) A relaxed, friendly atmosphere is one that is intentionally conducive to you revealing something about yourself or your background that you might not have said if you had given it some thought. Revealing the many sides of yourself in an interview is fine, and helps round out folks's view of you, but recognize, at least, that talking about how hammered you got at that party on the beach last weekend (or something similar) might be something that isn't the best thing to volunteer, regardless of what other people seem to be talking about. (This is along the lines of folks putting stuff up on their Facebook or Myspace page that gives employers pause, like pictures that a potential bank teller's friends took of him blowing chunks in the restroom at Atlantic City with the caption "John nurses his loss of the rent money at the tables by downing half a bottle of Tequila after doing Jello shots off the hooker's butt. Note his fabulous new Bong on the floor next to him!") You get the idea.

Hope this helps.

OPNLguy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 27):
I was amused that PITops didn't know who OPNLguy was, but it's probably just because OPNLguy and I seem to be interested in a lot of the same topics and so I see him all over this site. OTOH, with a RR of 65+, it probably would have been useful to look at his profile or a couple of his posts just to see who it was that was inviting me to visit... Doing so: (1) demonstrates respect for the person and (2) demonstrates an ability to figure stuff out for yourself rather than relying on others to tell you, which is more important than you may think.

That's OK---stuff happens, and why I put the little smiley in my message to him.

I'm really happy for him, since getting hired here has become so much more competitive over the years than when I was (twice). I trust his career here will be a long one, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it.