Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Seafleet
Topic Author

Flooding At CLE

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:10 am

Checking airport status this morning whilst waiting for the wife to finish her makeup [sigh] I found the following

Due to EQUIPMENT, BAGGAGE ROOM IS FLOODED., there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Cleveland, OH (CLE).

I am thinking if water has got into the electrics I am glad I am not a ramp rat or baggage handler at CLE as its going to be a rough few days whilst things dry out.
to everyone at CLE keep taking the tablets.

Roger

N231YE

RE: Flooding At CLE

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 am

I tried going to Opshots...but the site is down for unknown reasons. I wonder what is happening down there, eh?

N766UA

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:20 am

I gotta say, today was a blast! Our ramp had about 2 feet in some areas. WN's cleaning tower blew over and floated away (they retrieved it later from B-4), our cones were floating around and the chocks were completely under water. I got a few pictures on my phone but it got wet and now I think it's fried. Great!

clewatcher

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 am

as seen on the news, there was flooding all over the Cleveland area
-Raymond

boeing743

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:11 am

So is CLE closed due to that problem or delayed on all of flights out and in CLE?? I am sure either pipes or something break that caused flood. I can't image some of bagges would be so soaked if they ever get wet. Is airlines going to give passengers some kind of money or voucher for damage??

redngold

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:17 am

CLE is fully open again. What happened was that we got up to 3.5 inches of rain in about an hour. This caused the storm sewers to back up, which meant not only was water not draining, it was actually backflowing into many low areas.

Our baggage claim area is partially underground so this caused flooding. The flooding made it unsafe to drive vehicles and the torrential downpours decreased visibility to a few hundred feet even for those driving on the surface.

We are much better now - only the rapid train is still affected. Passengers can use a shuttle bus to the Brookpark station.
Up, up and away!

bcoz

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 5):
Passengers can use a shuttle bus to the Brookpark station.

Where they can also stop at the local gentlemen clubs before they catch the train to Tower City.

(Sorry...couldn't resist! Go Tribe!)

bcoz

pitops

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:59 pm

I saw on Dopplar radar some rainfall estimates. Was around 5" near the city with over 6" over Lake Erie.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos