joeljack
Topic Author

United Upgrage Question-need Help

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:43 am

I recently purchased 2 economy tickets from DSM to LHR and planned to upgrade to business class using 30k miles each. I called to do this and they told me that my fare class was not upgradeable (booked in S class). I explained that I flew OMA-LHR-DUS just 6 months ago and was booked in S class and was able to upgrade that one 3 days before my flight doing it the same way. Anyhow, why was I able to do this then and not now when that flight was half the cost of this one?

I am flying with a friend that has never flown before and I thought it would be really cool for his first ever flight to be business class.

On the day of my flight, if there are seats still available, will they let me use miles to upgrade? Does it help that I'm Premier? I wish I would have known this before I bought the tickets because I would have purchase them in the required H or higher class.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

UAL4ever

RE: United Upgrage Question-need Help

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 am

I am a premeier executive and I fly the ORD-FRA-ORD route at least four or five times a year. In my experience with mileage upgrades they have always required an H class fare to upgrade. Maybe the last time you got lucky and slipped a fast one by UA as they do sometimes miss things when it comes to upgrades. Good luck.

Brick

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:12 am

Refer to this link: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1150,00.html

Traveling outside of Region 1, an H fare is required. If you are traveling within Region 1, "select" fares qualify (including the S fare).

Gotta read the fine print carefully unfortunately...
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

joeljack
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 2):
Refer to this link: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1150,00.html

Traveling outside of Region 1, an H fare is required. If you are traveling within Region 1, "select" fares qualify (including the S fare).

Gotta read the fine print carefully unfortunately...

I know I know...I made a mistake. I just didn't know about if at the airport and there are still seats available, will the agent let you do it?

deltairlines

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 3):
I know I know...I made a mistake. I just didn't know about if at the airport and there are still seats available, will the agent let you do it?

Probably not - in general, they'll upsell you to Economy Plus, but not as much to Business (although it might be possible).

What you could do is upgrade the fare to an H fare...this would be relatively expensive though; it would essentially double the ticket price.

joeljack
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 4):
Probably not - in general, they'll upsell you to Economy Plus, but not as much to Business (although it might be possible).

As a premier, I already get economy plus for free.

I checked on changing the tickets to an H fare and I was quoted around 4400.00 total for two tickets for the up charge. As this is a personal trip, I can't justify that, not to mention that this is in addition to shelling out 120k miles for the round trip upgrades.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos