Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Airlines Sue FBI And CIA For 9/11

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 am

Source: By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer 20 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Airlines and aviation-related companies sued the CIA and the FBI on Tuesday, asking a federal court to let them interview investigators who can tell whether the aviation industry was to blame for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks or whether it had acted reasonably.

The separate lawsuits in U.S. District Court in Manhattan asked a judge to order the government to let the aviation companies gather the information as part of their defense against lawsuits brought by victims or families of victims of the 2001 attacks.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070807/ap_on_bi_ge/sept11_...

[Edited 2007-08-08 02:00:50]
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

commavia

RE: Airlines Sue FBI And CIA For 9/11

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 am

Interesting.

So, if I'm reading correctly, the airlines aren't seeking compensatory damages, but instead the equal opportunity (with the government) to interview key players and clear their name, so that they can be freed from liability in the 42 pending cases where victims' families sued the airlines directly blaming them for 9/11.

Got to love the legal system.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:52 am

I know this will make me very, very unpopular fast but on A.net but with all due respect to the victims of that horrible day, I don't see how the airlines are liable for the 9/11 at all. I just don't. I think the blame as to begin with the federal government starting with the POTUS and the FBI/CIA. I, too, want to know what really happened and how the CIA 'chose to ignore the signals' that their own agents were trying to tell Washington D.C. that an attack is imment. I would love to see what was on that infamous document entitled "Phoenix Memo".
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

khobar

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 2):
I know this will make me very, very unpopular fast but on A.net but with all due respect to the victims of that horrible day, I don't see how the airlines are liable for the 9/11 at all. I just don't. I think the blame as to begin with the federal government starting with the POTUS and the FBI/CIA. I, too, want to know what really happened and how the CIA 'chose to ignore the signals' that their own agents were trying to tell Washington D.C. that an attack is imment. I would love to see what was on that infamous document entitled "Phoenix Memo".

Well, I agree with you that the airlines were not responsible, but the Phoenix memo is consistent with what the FBI believed might have been in the works, not at all what actually occurred. Please note:

"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX gives reason to believe that a coordinated effort is underway to establish a cadre of individuals who will one day be working in the civil aviation community around the world. These individuals will be in a position in the future to conduct terror activity against civil aviation targets."

AA7295

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 1):
so that they can be freed from liability in the 42 pending cases where victims' families sued the airlines directly blaming them for 9/11.

I wish it was possible for the judge to just throw the case out the window. How could the airlines possibly be at fault. I know we've heard the cockpit doors not being secure enough, but to expect airlines to predict an attack of the magnitude of 9/11 is just madness. I completely feel for the victims of 9/11 but I cannot understand how they can hold the airlines liable.

My two cents.

Regards,
AA7295

ontime

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:17 pm

I agree with the above posts that to claim the airlines are liable is ridiculous. But what's even more puzzling is that these lawsuits apparently name Continental and Delta, among other US airlines. United and American I can understand, but on what theory did these other airlines even get named in the suits by the families of someone killed on 9/11? I guess (thanks to the lawyers) there is no end to the search for a deep pocket.

oly720man

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 pm

I would love to see what was on that infamous document entitled "Phoenix Memo".

you mean the blacked out bits?

For those, like me, who've never seen it - the censored version.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/911/phoenix-memo/01.htm

Can't see why the airlines should be held responsible. But, gotta sue somebody.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

bennett123

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 pm

I think that much of the "problem" is that most hijackings pre 9/11 were either "take me to Cuba", demands for money, demands for publicity or demands for release of "comrades". Hijackings where the objective was the death of those hijacked or those on the ground were comparitively rare.

David

flybyguy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 7):
I think that much of the "problem" is that most hijackings pre 9/11 were either "take me to Cuba", demands for money, demands for publicity or demands for release of "comrades". Hijackings where the objective was the death of those hijacked or those on the ground were comparitively rare.

This is precisely correct. Airline policy before 9-11 and I believe government aviation policy was to comply with hijacker commands to ensure the safety of passengers. Before 9-11 box-cutters and such were permitted on flights. I don't see how anyone can be blamed for 9-11 other than Osama Bin Laden himself. Sadly enough if Hollywood couldn't have contemplated 9-11 with its endless deluge of half backed plots, not even our government would have been able to contemplate such a diabolical and innovative plot of death and destruction. We all have to accept that 9-11 given the attitudes about terror beforehand was unavoidable. With all due respect to victims' families, politicians, airlines and anyone else playing the blame game... I think that it really serves no purpose other than to unearth bad feelings that were long since buried.

[Edited 2007-08-08 12:45:17]
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 8):
Before 9-11 box-cutters and such were permitted on flights. I don't see how anyone can be blamed for 9-11 other than Osama Bin Laden himself. Sadly enough if Hollywood couldn't have contemplated 9-11 with its endless deluge of half backed plots, not even our government would have been able to contemplate such a diabolical and innovative plot of death and destruction

And what about the August 6th 2001 Prez Daily briefing...ignored.....And lets not forget those ATC tapes.....cut up and destroyed that had the interviews/debriefs with those controllers who had the aircraft on their screens as well as ATC to air dialog.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

jm017

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm

I know this will make me very, very unpopular fast but on A.net but with all due respect to the victims of that horrible day, I don't see how the airlines are liable for the 9/11 at all. I just don't. I think the blame as to begin with the federal government starting with the POTUS and the FBI/CIA.

I would agree. I don't see how the airlines can be liable for what happened. And it's crazy to include CO and DL.

I, too, want to know what really happened and how the CIA 'chose to ignore the signals' that their own agents were trying to tell Washington D.C. that an attack is imminent. I would love to see what was on that infamous document entitled "Phoenix Memo".

To paraphrase the Borg: Want is irrelevant. The ultrasecretive Bush Administration will never allow the un-redacted memo to be released.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos