scotron11
Topic Author

BAA: Should It Be Broken Up?

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 pm

BAA is to be probed by the UK Competition Commission on the way it runs their 7 UK airports.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/09082007/214...break-commission-investigates.html

Hopefully they do make them divest. They've had too much dominance for too long.

ANother

RE: BAA: Should It Be Broken Up?

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:21 pm

In a word? Yes!

filler

swiftski

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Yes and no.

For me, rather just improve it. Improvements will be slow, i.e. not noticable week on week, but with a long term goal of reducing the problems.

Breaking BAA up is only going to do the same thing; someone will take it over, and be forced to do the above anyway. If BAA keep their airports, they can use the smaller ones to trial ideas for the larger ones too.

moo

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:32 pm

I don't think they should be broken up, that would be government interference in private matters.

Algoz

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Yes - for too many years, this monopoly has demonstrated scant regard for its customers. The situation is now appalling, and I speak as one who works there.

scotron11
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:39 pm

To have three major airports serving such a vast area all under the control of one company smacks of monopolization, to me. Coupled with the tightened security and the recent baggage fiasco at LHR, as a major operator they should have been better organized.

FLVILLA

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:56 pm

I agree that BAA is a pi$$ poor organisation when it comes to actually running most of it's airports, but would forcibly breaking it up (and lets be honest here even though they mention BAA's non-London airports they're really only focusing on the London ones) make any difference ?

Perhaps in the long term you might see better staffing and allocation of funds if seperate companies run different airports/terminals, but as BAA have stated its the capacity problems which have led to such a degradation of the service they provide. Which is for the most part true, you can split up LHR's terminals as much as you like. Still not going solve the problem of having 20 million more pax passing through its doors than what it was designed for. If anything the investigation should be a wake up call to the government to pull its finger out and have a serious look at the huge capacity problems London airports and the transport infrastructure as a whole is suffering from.

I'm just afraid that as usual it's going to be too little too late. Another railways fiasco of poor planning, why does no-one plan for tomorrow these days is beyond me.
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

jimbo27L

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 3):
I don't think they should be broken up, that would be government interference in private matters.

Normally I would agree, however BAA's (South East) 'monopoly' has wider economic and social impacts for the majority of the UK population, and for this reason a thorough investigation and report is justified.

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 6):
I'm just afraid that as usual it's going to be too little too late. Another railways fiasco of poor planning, why does no-one plan for tomorrow these days is beyond me

Just what I wanted to say! Is it me, or is everyone else becoming apathetic with things like this in the UK??

B7X7

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:56 pm

One point the investigation will look at is about Airport planning. They are going to see if this should be changed, because planning takes so long look at Terminal 5, it took so long to sort out, they needed that Terminal 5 years ago. The third runway is essential.

I think BAA should sell LGW, the keep pumping money into LHR and STN, but they have not invested that much into LGW, when I worked there. The Sout terminal was falling apart. Give it to a company that will invest into it, i know they can not build a new runway till 2019, but they can invest in terminal upgrades.

BAA want to keep STN, because its been there baby, and they are investing heavily into it, and of course they want to keep LHR, hopefully by 2012 once T5, TE, are built, T3 & T4 are renovated, the airport should work, but then they need to keep investing into the new runway and T6, because if they dont they will never get out of the mess they are in now.

UAL777UK

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Yes, they need to lose the monopoly on London airports and LGW should be sold to not only allow that to hopefuly flourish under new ownership, but also hopefully it will get BAA focused on its No 1 Airport, LHR and plough the investment into it that it sorely needs!!

RussianJet

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Yes, they should be forced to sell off all their airports except SOU.  Smile

Seriously though, I think the bottom line is that essential elements of the country's infrastructure should not be in private hands at all. All of our major airports should be forcibly nationalised and run for the good of the country and her citizens.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Vasu

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 9):
LGW should be sold to not only allow that to hopefuly flourish under new ownership, but also hopefully it will get BAA focused on its No 1 Airport, LHR and plough the investment into it that it sorely needs!!

Agreed wholeheartedly! In terms on London, anyway, BAA should just focus on LHR. LGW needs to be the FOCUS of its owners... for too long it has been overshadowed by LHR.

scouseflyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 6):
I'm just afraid that as usual it's going to be too little too late. Another railways fiasco of poor planning, why does no-one plan for tomorrow these days is beyond me.

Politicians daren't think past 4 years terms and guessing that the massive debt that will of been taken on to finance the purchase of BAA will cripple them for years unless they sell off one of airports - LGW would make everyone happy and raise a bit of cash.

FLVILLA

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 12):
Politicians daren't think past 4 years terms

Quite right unfortunately ! The crux of many governments it seems, none of them dare propose such extensive spending projects under their watch. It's all the same as military procurements and just look at those, how many X number of years do they have to draw them out for and delay them for.

If only some rogue government came into power, raised taxes but actually spent the money on huge infrastructure projects this country desperately needs. In 10-20 years time, things could be so much different. A nice dream  Sad
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos