AApilot2b
Topic Author

Tribute To The Original 340

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:37 am

So how many of you have had the opportunity to fly the "real 340?" To clarify... I am not talking bout the A340, that ungainly beast that, quite honestly, has never been a favorite of mine. No, I'm talkng about the little work horse from SAAB. Sure... many people probably discriminate against this plane and its props, but the fact remains, the S340 is an outstanding airplane. It has an incredible safety/ reliability record and has been the life saver to many communities around the world. Many places would not have profitable air serice if it werent for this little wonder from SAAB. I've had the chance to fly this plane many times, and quite honestly, I look forward to every trip. Sadly, they are getting old, and as of right now, it seems no one is making anything to address this market. It seems that when the real 340 goes... a lot of places risk losing their air service.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Simon Gregory - Jetwash Images

FlyHoss

RE: Tribute To The Original 340

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:58 am

I thought this would be a thread about the Convair 340! Now that would be a "Tribute to the original 340."

Quoting AApilot2b (Thread starter):
So how many of you have had the opportunity to fly the "real 340?"

That the Convair 340 came to my mind first, shows my age a bit, eh?
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

AirSpare

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:13 am

I just flew from Alexandria Minnesota to MSP on one, what a great flight!

There was a lot turbulance, so the pilot flew a low, slow and bumpy ride, what a great view outside, and watching the faces turn green inside. Luckily the flight ended and only one PAX was sick on the ramp. Another PAX was pointing out her farm, a trick inpoossible on jets.

This was my first and probably last flight on one, I'm glad it was a good one.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:16 am

You are absolutely correct! I forgot about the Convair's. Unfortunately, I never had the chanc to fly one of those. That was a great plane! If memory serves me right, many of the SAAB 340s from American Eagle were placed on routes that were once served by Convairs.

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:25 am

Airspare, I can relate to that experience... not the airsick part, most of my flights have been pretty smooth. However, like you said, a lot of them are operated at lower altitudes so you get a better view of the world below. This is one of those planes were you still get to experience aviating. I remember taking off out of DFW on one stormy evening and feeling the plane yaw as soon as we left the runway. She pitched around a bit and then settled in to a nice little climb... reminded me of flying Cessnas.

FlyHoss

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting AApilot2b (Reply 3):
You are absolutely correct! I forgot about the Convair's. Unfortunately, I never had the chanc to fly one of those. That was a great plane! If memory serves me right, many of the SAAB 340s from American Eagle were placed on routes that were once served by Convairs.

I never had the opportunity to ride a CV 340 either, unfortunately. But a freight operator that I used to frequently see had several (IIRC). A few years later, I had - and more importantly, took - the opportunity to ride a B707 before they disappeared from passenger service entirely, too (Ports of Call / DEN).
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

AApilot2b
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:35 am

Flyhoss, thats cool that you took that kind of opportunity. I wish I had done that with a few planes. The last time I flew a 727 was in 1999. At the time, I had no idea I was taking my last on one of histories greatest planes. I kind of wonder the same about the S340... I no longer gt the chances to fly on them like I use to.

Viscount724

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 1):
I thought this would be a thread about the Convair 340! Now that would be a "Tribute to the original 340."

Quoting AApilot2b (Thread starter):
So how many of you have had the opportunity to fly the "real 340?"

That the Convair 340 came to my mind first, shows my age a bit, eh?

I was also expecting that this was going to involve the Convair 340! And there was another 340 after the Convair but before the Saab -- the Cessna 340, in service 1971. Last of almost 1300 built in 1984.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jordan A. Duncan

It's the only 340 I haven't flown on, although the Convairs were after turboprop conversion to 580s. I've also flown on the Convair 640 which was the 340/440 with Rolls-Royce Darts instead of Allison 501s as on the 580. The Convairliner is one of the true classics of the propeller era. And just to give the real "original" 340 some recognition!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ted Miley

D328

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:06 pm

I love the Saab, and hope to be hired by Colgan to fly them as a FO...

vhqpa

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:10 pm

I've heard good things about the SF3 I'm going to fly on one when ZL start BNE later this year

J
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

ELTENELEVEN

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:09 am

Great aircraft flew them many times on NW Airlink between PIB and MEM, also back in the day (the 80's) when Air Midwest flew them between MCI and ICT.
You can never have enough hats, gloves, and 3 1/2 inch spiked heel stiletto pumps in various styles and colors

WestJetYQQ

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:13 am

They just put them in service on the west coast on Canada here. They'll be around for a good long while.  Wink

Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

pmurr

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 am

Great aircraft. Recently flew SAN-LAX. It was a beautiful day and a great flight.

ZL currently has 33 frames in service to good effect in Australia with more coming for use in their growing network.

EMA747

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 am

I flew one from Auckland to Napier. It was pretty bumpy, quite load and the pressurization wasn't like on the 744 I had just come into Auckland on but it was a good flight on the less. I quite liked the Saab 340 all in all.
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

aeroc

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:15 am

I sure do miss the SF3 here in ROC with MQ. I loved working them with Eagle when they were still on the East coast. I wish Eagle would bring them back to JFK and BOS, but we all know that will never happen. All the out of service A/C are in ABI now and are starting to be returned if airworthy. Maybe I can fly them one day with Eagle or Colgan. Best seat in the house was row 14 to yourself! Had that manytimes on the west coast! Long Live the SF3!

oakmad

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 am

I used to fly KD 340's between SYD and CBR almost weekly on the Capital Shuttle. Without a doubt the best airline service I've experienced, and when given the choice between the AN or KD flight I always chose the KD one. As a 6'2 guy I was cramped but always comfortable and the KD service was alway impeccable.

YZFOO7F

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:31 am

So with four different aircraft listed in this thread with 340 in its model name, what makes that number so popular?
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

jeffrito

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 am

A couple times I've been on 340's when the passengers were re-arranged to move some noticeably heavy passengers from the back to the front ...

On the bright side, they let them stay on the plane ... better than some regional jets I've been on!

HAL

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 pm

I have a very sweet spot in my heart for the SAAB 340. It was the aircraft I flew for my first airline job; Chautauqua Airlines (USAirways Express) from January through November 1999. I went through training at the FlightSafety facility in San Antonio Texas, then flew the plane while based in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. My routes were to/from PIT to places like Flint MI (FNT), Lansing MI (LAN), Williamsport PA (IPT), Hagerstown MD (HGR), Shenandoah Valley VA (SHD), Fort Wayne IN (FWA), and Champaign IL (CMI). They were all small towns that needed some airline service, but couldn't support much in the way of larger aircraft.

During training we learned all about the systems and structure of the SAAB, and I discovered it was built like a steel-girder bridge - strong! The main wing spars were impressively large, something that contributed to its great safety record. The pressurization system was one of the smoothest I've ever flown with - it never 'bumped' the pressure going up or down, and was smooth no matter how fast we climbed or descended. The cockpit was fairly modern with electronic displays for the primary instruments, although it was not a full glass cockpit. In that respect it was much like the 767 that I fly now.

Flying the SAAB was a real pleasure. It was the first large aircraft I'd ever flown - the largest before that was (oddly enough) the Cessna 340. But there was no problem with the transition. It flew smoothly and predictably, and within just a few hours in the simulator I felt very comfortable with it. That carried over to flying the actual plane too - it was a real joy to handle. The planes we flew for Chautauqua were fairly old as far as SAABs go. They were all 'A' models, including N340CA (serial #4), the first production aircraft, which was initially bought by Comair Airlines. Compared to later 'B' models they were a little underpowered. On hot midwest afternoons their climb rates weren't anything to write home about, but they got the job done. Like all turboprops though, they could come downhill at exceptional rates with those big flat props and the engines at idle. It was great for fitting into the traffic patterns at busier airports - keep the speed up until short final, then back to idle and it felt like we were suddenly dragging sandbags on the ground behind us. Landings were easy although with the stiff oleo-type landing gear, making glassy-smooth touchdowns was as much luck as it was skill. The autopilot worked quite well, although navigation in our planes was VOR only - no GPS at the time.

The only complaints I had were minor; we didn't have air conditioning or APU's on our planes, so an hour-long turn time in the summer sun meant it could hit 130 degrees in the cabin before we got the engines running. None of the cockpit windows opened either, so we couldn't get a cross-breeze going. But other than that, it was a great way to start a career. They were very reliable, easy to fly, and comfortable. Some passengers didn't like the vibration from the propellers, but without those props, many of those smaller cities wouldn't have any type of airline service at all.

All told, I am very happy I got to fly the SAAB. It is a pleasure to look back in my logbook and reminisce about many of the flights I made across the Great Lakes region in that plane.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Terry Shepherd
View Large View Medium

Photo © Terry Shepherd

View Large View Medium

Photo © Terry Shepherd
View Large View Medium

Photo © C.L. Weldy

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

brandonfs88

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:06 am

I was just on one coming back from DTW-MQT.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/brandonfs88/DSCI0039.jpg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos