Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcoz
Topic Author

US Standby Policies

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:21 am

I'm confirmed on US from CHS to ORD tomorrow afternoon but was thinking of trying to get out earlier. While I've traveled standby on UA and NW recently, I was wondering what US's policies are regarding standby and same-day confirmed. Do they charge a fee for traveling positive-space standby? What about same-day confirmed?

bcoz

HPAEAA

RE: US Standby Policies

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting ,reply=:
We allow you to 'move up' to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). You can only make day-of-departure changes at the airport (and not by calling Reservations).

If there is an open seat available on any earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $25 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $100 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is not an open seat on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Please note: Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...eds/ticketingpolicies/default.aspx

Not sure I understand it completely, perhaps one of the US ATO folks can help with this...!
1.4mm and counting...

Flighty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:42 am

It sounds like they are happy to let you do it for $25 confirmed space. If there is no room, you can still attempt to wait for a seat, and if one pops up you will get it for free.

TWA757

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 pm

I mostly fly AA (which, in my experience, allows you to standby and get a seat on an earlier flight, for free, even if it's not full), so the first time I tried to standby on US (it was the Shuttle, actually) I was a little surprised. I was used to free standby unless I wanted to confirm a seat on the earlier flight. The way AA does it seems a little friendlier to the average (and non-elite) traveler.

ILOVEA340

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:41 am

As the US Airways reservation system does not easily allow a stay to be listed if sellable seats remain, the only set program in the Move-Up fee. This is $25 to move to an earlier flight with a confirmed seat on that flight.

The only time you can try standby is if the flight is booked all the way to its authorization. Considering how well US oversells it's flights it is unlikely to get on one of these as a standby pax.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos