scouseflyer

RE: 380 Wing Seized By Plane Stupid

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Look on the bright side this does mean that there is another A380 convoy on the way to TLS Big grin

scouseflyer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 pm

and as if by magic this (http://igg.syllab.com/igg-pratique-cal.php4?id_rubrique=18&id_article=350) appears on a convoy tracking website! Big grin

jimbo27L

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 pm

I think the unfortunate thing here is while the these idiots with nothing better to do go on their crusade to 'save the planet' with 'direct' action, and assuming that the third runway is approved and constructed at LHR, the big loser will be a whole community which will be displaced....

Unfortunately these are the people who need the positive publicity that groups like Plane Stupid and Climate Camp can never bring. Effectively these sensationalist 21st century hippies are stealing the thunder of the local residents who are trying to go about the business of keeping their homes and current quality of life in a legal and civil manner, and probably damaging the public support the locals would've enjoyed otherwise.

From a personal point of view, being told I cant take more than one flight a year because it will contribute to climate change...something which Ive yet to see any cold hard evidence for....sticks in my throat. I'm flying out of LGW on Saturday - let them try direct action there, and if it stops me getting away on my hols on time, you'll be seeing a whole different story on the news.

PS - sick of having posts deleted on this topic in various threads....those suggesting deletion are as bad as the over-emotional students standing around in fields telling me what I can and cant do...

gjsint172

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 36):

If Airbus rented an LCF the might be able to do that!
Alas the folks are really only engaging in civil disobedience. They have started a social protest that in the past has caused regulatory change. I don't agree with them but the A380 and B787 are both much more fuel efficeint than the B737-200 or A320. Their protests are the same as aggravation. They attempt to make regulatory change by their 'action' of taking an A380 wing. Fools nonetheless they will start the general public and politicians into thinking that there is more energy safe alternatives...... Try taking a train that uses even electricity across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. They are idiots but idiots we will have to listen too eventually.

GJS

GAIsweetGAI

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 26):
They're using their brains.

Are they now? If they did they would have done some research and found that aviation is responsible for less than (what was the number again? Big grin ) % of total greenhouse gas emissions, that the US and China are the ones to confront, and that global warming is inevitable. (I know, just spitting out what I've seen here, but still...)

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 56):
"It appears this one was beaten to death with landing gear strut from a NW DC-9"

rotfl 
And I like your idea about an anti-anti-aviation website.  Smile

As to how these morons move about:

And as to how to dispose of them:
-have a Concorde, a B-1 and other loud A/C do low passes
-do an on-site engine blade fail test (what's it called?) using an engine that will actually fail said test
 duck 

IMO the movie One Six Right (and perhaps similar movies I don't know about) should be a mandatory part of high school curriculum all around the world.
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

tdscanuck

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 16):
what a bunch of retreads.....

Retreads?

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 37):
Airbus should start flying the wings to Toulouse now, and blame it on Plane Stupid actions Smile

Quoting Farzan (Reply 57):
Maybe Airbus need to design a bigger Beluga. Could the Dreamlifter technically do the job?

I was just thinking that I'd love to see the plane that could haul an A380 wing! The Dreamlifter couldn't do it...the length might be OK but I think the chord at the root is bigger than the maximum 747LCF height.

Tom.

Glom

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 63):
The Dreamlifter couldn't do it...the length might be OK but I think the chord at the root is bigger than the maximum 747LCF height.

Could the An-225 do it?

ThePRGuy

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting Pmg1704 (Thread starter):
The A380 was singled out because any fuel-efficiency gains it offers will be wiped out by a surge in the number of people flying, protestors said.

rotfl 

These assholes need to get a calculator handy, total freaks.

Hideous hippies

Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

abba

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Wonder if these people if they were to join a protest rally overseas somewhere would travel by boat and train only?

Abba

tdscanuck

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 64):
Could the An-225 do it?

Sadly, no.

It's OK on payload (250000 kg) and length (70m) but the door is only 14.4 x 21.0 ft.

Tom.

art

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting Bingo (Reply 44):
Quoting Art (Reply 31):
Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 23):
Wouldn't their act be considered an act of terrorism under UK law?

No.

I dont know where you are getting your info from, but I believe you are wrong. If they had a public prosecutor who was worth his salary he could easily make terrorism charges stick.

Quoting Bingo (Reply 43):
Quoting Art (Reply 31):
Sorry to disappoint you, but obstructing the delivery of commercial goods is not an act of terrorism.

If obstructing international commerce to further a political/ideological point is not terrorism, then I dont know what is.

May I cite the start of the UK Terrorism Act 2000?

"1. - (1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where-

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.
(2) Action falls within this subsection if it-

(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public, or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system"

If you look at it, you will see that obstructing the passage of goods cannot in itself be an act of terrorism. The action needs to satisfy at least one of clauses in subsection (2) (a)-(e)

In any event, a law is only effective if a jury is prepared to convict. UK juries can and do refuse to convict where they find prosecutions political or draconian in nature (eg Clive Ponting). The members of a UK jury would consider blowing things up, killing people etc as acts of terrorism. Even if the acts of these protestors were offences under a differently worded Terrorism Act, the common sense of jurors (that's partly the idea behind having juries) would make it difficult to convict on a charge of terrorism IMO.

scouseflyer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 67):
Quoting Glom (Reply 64):
Could the An-225 do it?

Sadly, no.

It's OK on payload (250000 kg) and length (70m) but the door is only 14.4 x 21.0 ft.

Tom.

There was a plan initally to see if a modified A340 could carry one wing at a time balanced longditudianally along the fusealage but that came to nowt as it was too complex or the A340 couldn't take the strain.

What the should of really done is build all of the big bits in one place!

a3

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Use your brains guys...............

An open mind would immediately think that this group is funded by BOEING (under the table of course...)  Wow!  Wow!  Wow! and this seize is just one more trick to cause more DELAYS to the A380 program....

This way they will sell 747-8 to ALL Airbus clients !!!!

Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

Rgds
A3
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

Aither

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 62):
Are they now? If they did they would have done some research and found that aviation is responsible for less than (what was the number again? ) % of total greenhouse gas emissions, that the US and China are the ones to confront, and that global warming is inevitable. (I know, just spitting out what I've seen here, but still...)

That's less than 3%. Actually porks and cows emit more CO2...

Preventing people from flying because they generate pollution is as a solution as killing seropositives because they would make other people sick. This is just stupid, they should rather spend their time working in engineering schools to design cleaner engines.

[Edited 2007-08-14 13:26:37]
Never trust the obvious

helvknight

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting A3 (Reply 70):
Use your brains guys...............

An open mind would immediately think that this group is funded by BOEING (under the table of course...) Wow! Wow! Wow! and this seize is just one more trick to cause more DELAYS to the A380 program....

Or possibly it's Aminobwana putting his 'holiday' to good use Big grin
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

KaiGywer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 42):

Actually it's been happening pretty often of late on the forums, maybe there's "something on the wing"

It's all in how you use it. If you (accidentally or not) mark something anywhere on the page and hit "Quote Selected Text" it will credit it to whoever you click the button of. Like this example. I marked the thread starter, and then clicked your post. It will then look like this.

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 42):
Airbus Plane Wing Seized by U.K. Climate Protestors

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...ation

I can also do it the other way.

Quoting Pmg1704 (Thread starter):

Actually it's been happening pretty often of late on the forums, maybe there's "something on the wing"

This time I marked your post, but quoted the thread starter, making it look like he said it.

Make sense?  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Burkhard

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Gjsint172 (Reply 61):
Alas the folks are really only engaging in civil disobedience. They have started a social protest that in the past has caused regulatory change. I don't agree with them but the A380 and B787 are both much more fuel efficient than the B737-200 or A320. Their protests are the same as aggravation. They attempt to make regulatory change by their 'action' of taking an A380 wing. Fools nonetheless they will start the general public and politicians into thinking that there is more energy safe alternatives...... Try taking a train that uses even electricity across the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. They are idiots but idiots we will have to listen too eventually.

Completely agree! This is a form of peaceful protest. The maximal consequence it may have is an hour delay in one A380 delivery. Acceptable. Democracy has to warrant that such peaceful protest is possible - even if we do not share their sight.

Putting such protest into the same category as terrorism, sorry to have to say, is exactly the spirit that has nurished terrorism so well. Just call everybody whom you do not like a terrorist, and than complain the world is full of terrorist - do so for years and it will be!

Even piracy would only be applicable if the would try to sell the wing to Boeing, or use it itself. Calm down, that is freedom!

manu

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 28):
Those cute things' (cows) farts are quite bad for our planet!

Actually that is a myth. I was surprised to learn recently that most of the "greenhouse gas" is excreted from their mouths!

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 30):
What they should be doing is being positive

I completely agree. Maybe plant trees all around the airport, and in 50 years they'd have a physical obstruction to the runway. But would they get the press they are getting now? Marketing using actions seems to be a powerful thing. I wish we could solve all of the worlds' problems at once. What I would know is if there is really any positive results from this negative action?

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 32):
he A380 is the absolutely worst possible airliner to target for environmental protests. Concorde - yes; 742/DC-10/727 - maybe; 787/A380 - no.

I somehow doubt the protesters even know the difference. Accountants beat the environmentalists to decommissioning the concorde.

Quoting Azhobo (Reply 48):
I say load em in half empty Concordes and fly em to Guantonimo for a one day tour.

Azhobo, I might actually jump on that flight just for the chance to fly Concorde. Never got to! Would the one-day tour of Guantonimo be like Alcatraz? I escaped from that place, why not Cuba too!?

(Note: Escape from Alcatraz is a Triathlon I competed in)

LHRGregSE4

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Plane Stupid is Plain stupid.....they are a bunch of cappuccino sipping granola bar crunching communists who have nothing in life to show for or be proud of. They do this to make themselves feel better about themselves; they join these groups and that makes them feel that they've achieved something.

I think we should organise a protest against them.

Glom

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 74):
Calm down, that is freedom!

It is not freedom to invade someone's boat and obstruct them from carrying out the lawful carriage of someone's property. That is a crime.

What those hippies at LHR are doing is freedom. What this lot are doing is not.

mikefad

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Think of it as the beginnings of "The New Dark-Ages"...........................I'm not kidding.

How many times through the course of history has there been some who think that they alone hold they keys to the "knowledge" vault of mankind. How many Earth shattering breakthroughs would have been lost to the ages albeit for the efforts of open minded(and brave) people. In the face of great danger some have given their lives in pursuit of truth. Will we stand up when the stakes are raised?

These wackos are not to the point of doing actual harm to anyone , but does anybody really have much doubt that it is heading that way?

Then you have Al Gore and his ilk who have wrested the global warming debate away from scientists and are now using it as a vehicle for political power. Sick.

I think these people have actually found a cult-like or quasi-religious activity that has the approval(or at least a blind eye) of the mainstream society. Can you imagine the 'outrage' if a religious group, or excuse me , a western religious group attempted such shenanigans in the name of ANY cause?

It does not bode well for industrial nations or nations who want to industrialize.

Glom

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting Mikefad (Reply 78):
or nations who want to industrialize.

Bingo! The reason the bandwagon is growing is because of fear. Fear by those in Europe particularly about their increasing irrelevance in the face of the growth of China, India and the other rapidly developing economies. Europeans are terrified that they're already boned. Americans are beginning to get a little scared now.

ThrottleHold

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 pm

Quoting Gh123 (Reply 13):
Don't they have jobs to go to?!

Of course they don't....they're all free-loading, unwashed, communist goddamn hippies.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
These people really are utter arseholes. It's a shame we can't just shoot them, think of all that unnecessary Co2 they are breathing out... Yeah sure

Right on!

osiris30

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Glom: let's not going adding hyperbole in an effort to combat a bunch of fanatics. There's more than enough people doing that in the world today.

I doubt many of the protesters we're talking about here have thought much about the geo-political ramifications of their actions/cause. While an elite few at the top of the ladder may have other motives they are powerless without their pawns.

Their pawns generally think they are doing the right thing because they have been fed misinformation. It's really no different then every politician who runs around screaming 9-11 for votes and the sheeple who vote for them as a result.

Meanwhile back at the ranch as they say, we have folks talking about charging these hapless folks with piracy and the like, and, while they might well deserve it (or worse, admitedly I don't suffer fools well), that will hardly solve the issue.

The solution to this is to fire back with actual correct information that addresses their concerns, some of which are well intentioned, regardless of being well founded (this is not to say that a certain percentage of these folks aren't along for the sole purpose of rebelling, those individuals should be locked up, as their only reason for involvement is to be anti-establishment).

Finally, this isn't the first time Europe is on the verge of being superceded in terms of global economic relevance. The same thing happened in the latter half of the last century with America's rise to social and economic dominance. It has happened before, it will happen again. It is inevitable. The master becomes the puppet and the cycle continues. The smart adapt and prosper and the weak die out/disappear. It's simply economic and political Darwin'ism.

So rather than going off about why the leaders of these movements may or may not be involved, why not end run then and address the issues their foot soldiers think exist?

I for one am amazed at how little the aviation sector has done to disprove these idiots. It would be very very easy to do.

Ps: please forgive typos, etc. Posting this from my phone.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

ContnlEliteCMH

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 52):
Ha ha ha!!! Can you picture it? Plane bashers pitted against Anetters in the ultimate showdown! At the very least, our penchant for "proper action" would win the public over much faster than our ability to ID a silhouette of an aircraft!

I think you underestimate the tendency of "peaceful" groups toward mob violence. Our college campuses surely showed it in the 60's. I highly doubt that they would take being shot with water pistols as all fun and games. It's not in their nature.

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 63):
Retreads?

Yup. Same old, same old. The anti-war movement has morphed into the environmental movement. Same people, same ideology, same impotent tactics, different cloak.

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 62):
Are they now? If they did they would have done some research and found that aviation is responsible for less than (what was the number again? ) % of total greenhouse gas emissions, that the US and China are the ones to confront, and that global warming is inevitable. (I know, just spitting out what I've seen here, but still...)

You've totally missed my point, which I spelled out in the post to which you replied. YOU are judging THEIR rationality by YOUR set of assumptions. Ironically, you may not be the one using your head here. If you understand the set of morals and values by which they view the world, you understand that they are indeed acting rationally, i.e. using their brains.

Our disagreement isn't with their rationality because they're not irrational. Uninformed, perhaps. Clueless with regard to tactics, for sure. No, our disagreement is with their values and methods. In this case, it's even with their goal. "No war" is a laudable goal even if it defies the whole of human history. "No flights" is petty and is surely a smokescreen for some other agenda, which I for one doubt is environmentalism.

They don't NEED to know that aviation is an insignificant percentage of total greenhouse emissions. It's irrlevant to them because they have an agenda that is not really "no flights." Understand this and you'll see a rigid rationality to what they say and do.

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 74):
Even piracy would only be applicable if the would try to sell the wing to Boeing, or use it itself. Calm down, that is freedom!

You have a very, very bad definition of freedom. I'll bet if you talked to the crew of the barge, they would tell you the terror of having their barge hijacked and commandeered.

Tell you what. Tomorrow I'm coming to your house. I'm ramming down your door. I'm going to eat your food, sit on your couch, and watch your television. And when you object, I'm going to tell you to calm down. I'm only exercising my freedom!
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

Glom

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:47 pm

Well perhaps Osiris. An important thing to note is that according to the IPCC's own economic scenarios, the best future lies in the continues expansion of global interplay. This leads to faster economic growth across the board and with it population growth levels off before eventually the global population goes into decline as we enter the 22nd century. With that, emissions as a whole will come under control because while we may be more affluent, we will be smaller in number and of course technologically more efficient.

The scenarios which feature global segregation means that technological and economic progress is slower leading to population growth continuing unabated and so more pollution.

So compared to the latter scenario, the former produces a higher standard of living AND lower pollution.

This of course means that global interaction is to be encouraged and that means defending the freedom to travel. Travel is good and is to be encouraged both for humanity and for the long term environment, even if it seems counterintuitive in the short term. The luvvie throughline about localism, buying only local, holidaying only locally etc is encouraging segregation (in the name of avoiding pollution from travel) and hence gives us the second scenario.

You have to think of the big picture and the big picture is global.

dimoko

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 am

upon looking at their website i don't see them with much actual information.

it is all just propaganda as to how glorious their protests are.

they don't have any science, or aviation knowledge.

i expected to see some mention of the 787 or the A350 in terms of reduced emissions, but there are none.

all they seem to say is flying is bad and the rich people are the ones that fly.

i encourage them to come to the USA and check out some southwest flights if they want to see some rich folks flyin'!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

Seafleet

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am

AlanUK wrote
Freaks! Glad BAA got them out of Heathrow for this week's protests.

Well there are problems to come it seems as reported, the police are aware that some of the protestors have smuggled in "respectable" clothes to the camp, and that their plan is to mingle with genuine passengers in the terminals then cause havoc.
Sadly I will lay a small wager that LHR has at least one bomb scare before this is all finished even if its an empty cardboard box.
Now that is a serious offence under current counter terrorism laws so I hope they get caught and go to prison for a very long time.
Freedom of speech is dear to us all so let them protest at roadsides etc waving banners but when they start to threaten an already sensitive location then its time to get serious with these people.
It would seem to me a good time to bring in the troops as they do when a serious threat occurs at LHR and treat it as an exercise.

Roger

MD80Nut

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 am

We can expect more of this type of non-sense as the Great Man Made Global Warming Swindle marches on. Watch for more taxes on energy, more environmentalist "actions" and more idiots buying carbon offsets while the Goreacle and his ilk collect royalties from his "An Inconvenient Truth" fakumentary and carbon credit investments.

Meanwhile, idiot governments will tax energy and air travel to the point regular folks like us pay far more to fill our gas tanks and fly in commercial aircraft. Of course, Gore and the "do as we say, not as we do" crowd will continue to jet around the world in their private jets telling us what's good for us. This scam will cost us all in the end.   

Cheers, Ralph

[Edited 2007-08-14 18:23:28]
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

curticool

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Azhobo (Reply 40):
This really annoys me.

Why doesn't A.net schedule meets at the same time & place of these "Plane stupid" protests? All we'd need to do is take water pistols with us. If you're worried that you may be too old for a water pistol fight, just remember that this time you'd have an excuse!

laughing 
-Curticool
N102DA

GDB

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 am

'Sigh' They really don't like people having proper jobs do they?
Y'know, the ones who earn but also pay the taxes that supports the health and welfare that has benefited them from birth onwards.

FlyingPie946LJ

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:13 am

I don't quite get what these guys have to complain about, if planes weren't around, pollution would skyrocket. Imagine all the extra busses and cars that would be running to make up for no planes, as well as ships (which in reality are more efficient than planes, but when you add all the extra pax needing to use those ships to cross the oceans since there'll be no such thing as nonstop travel to landlocked cities, the ships required to haul that many pax for several days at a time would definitely outweigh the pollution caused by aircraft)

I say these guys need to do a bit more studying up..

jcf5002

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 47):
Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 18):
These people would have been much better off going and protesting at the Aston Martin factory though..

Over my dead body !!!!! box

I've got your back on that one bud!

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 48):
While I too would love a DB9, with its "I eat mortals for breakfast" grill, let's be honest, if you're all about being green, they aren't a very practical automobile Smile (I mean a 6.0L v12 that turns 450bhp and about the same torque, is not tree hugger certified, regardless of the fun factor

Define practical? I mean, the Lotus Elise is far less practical from an ergonomics point of view, but is a whole lot more eco-friendly.

That said, no one complained when Monet used OIL-based paints on his canvas... The Astons are just rolling works of art, therefore your argument is null...  Wink

These eco-mentalists need to think more with their brains along with their hearts if they want to get somewhere. They're just fighting with soul and misguided instinct. I say throw the book at the lot of them. If we took over a cargo airliner transporting something we didn't like, I'm sure we'd be treated rather harshly...

-Jeff
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos