Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Brymon
Topic Author

Ex BA Connect Fleet

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Does anyone have any info on the ex BA Connect fleet that was transferred to Flybe. How many have been retired, taken out of service and / or who are they operating for instead? Also how many aircraft remain in the BA Colours?

Thanks

Eurohub

RE: Ex BA Connect Fleet

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 am

Jethro's BE Fleet Page gives a good rundown of what has become of the various aircraft types transferred from BACon to Flybe following the latter's acquisition of the former. Check out http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/flybe.htm

BE received 1x 142, 1x 143, 4x Dash-8 300's and 28x ER4's; the only a/c that BE didn't receive were the 10x RJ100's that were transferred to BA's new CityFlyer operation out of LCY.
Refer to http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/ba_bae_rj100.htm

BE has stated that it wishes to divest itself of the ex-BA aircraft as soon as it is able (quote from BE's press release of 5th March 2007: "Flybe plans to retire the BA Connect fleet of 50 seat jet aircraft as soon as possible to drive maximum fleet efficiency. Flybe will have one of the youngest and most environmentally sensitive fleets in the world. In line with its environment policy Flybe will by then have reduced fuel consumption by over 50% per seat." http://www.flybe.com/news/0703/02.htm

The ageing Dash-8 300's have already been withdrawn and are stored at Exeter according to Jethro's.

Hope this helps,
Eurohub
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 1):
BE received 1x 142, 1x 143, 4x Dash-8 300's and 28x ER4's; the only a/c that BE didn't receive were the 10x RJ100's that were transferred to BA's new CityFlyer operation out of LCY.

What happened to the sole BAe 146-100 in BA's fleet, which was used on the LGW-IOM service? FlyBe took it over and it's still registered as being owned by them, but doesn't show up on the fleet listings? The remaining DHC8s are indeed all stored at EXT, it rumoured at one point that WOW would be taking more of them, but I really doubt that now.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

RAFVC10

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:51 am

According with Airliner World Magazine (July Issue), Eastern Airways is in the way to lease more Jetstream 41 from BAe after the return of the aircraft previously operated by BA Connect...

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

albird87

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 3):
According with Airliner World Magazine (July Issue), Eastern Airways is in the way to lease more Jetstream 41 from BAe after the return of the aircraft previously operated by BA Connect...

I dont think BACON had any Jetstreams but other BA afflitiates do (loganair springs to mind). I may be wrong but i thought it was just Dash 8s, ERJs and BAEs in the BACON fleet

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 4):
I dont think BACON had any Jetstreams but other BA afflitiates do (loganair springs to mind). I may be wrong but i thought it was just Dash 8s, ERJs and BAEs in the BACON fleet

It was indeed and apart from the Embrarers the fleet was pretty old. The Dashes are the original non Q technology variants and the 146s were ageing. Nevertheless, I'm sure they'll all find homes somewhere.

Dan Smile

JobsaGoodun

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 1):
BE received 1x 142, 1x 143, 4x Dash-8 300's and 28x ER4's;

BE actually received 1x141, 2x142 1x143, 6xQ300's and 28xER4.

If I am correct, the 141 operated on the BACon IOMLGW was moved to EXT between 28MAR and 31MAR. This aircraft was withdrawn immediately. The other 3 146's still operate. G-GNTZ, G-MANS and G-OINV although I would expect these to be scheduled out of the fleet along with the pre-deal Flybe 146's.
All Q300's are now out of service and I understand are stored at EXT. I understand that a couple have already found new owners and although I've no idea who is taking them. Likewise for the ER4's, a couple should start to leave the fleet shortly.

RAFVC10

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Albird87,

the J41 fleet was operated by its affiliate from Denmark Sun-Air until past year...

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

bmibaby737

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Flybe cannot afford to take any aircraft out of service as they're already short on planes. The whole Embraer 145 fleet will not be gone for a good few years yet.

bmi   

[Edited 2007-08-15 12:39:28]

Boeing77W

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
it rumoured at one point that WOW would be taking more of them, but I really doubt that now

What makes you doubt this? I can see where you're coming from...the "expansion" of WOW seems to have pretty much halted. My partner is an F/O for them and says that it's ridiculous, as the airline is run by accountants they'll never take a risk on new routes and aircraft. I would have thought that a number of 300s becoming available would be an excellent opportunity for them.

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Boeing77W (Reply 9):
What makes you doubt this? I can see where you're coming from...the "expansion" of WOW seems to have pretty much halted. My partner is an F/O for them and says that it's ridiculous, as the airline is run by accountants they'll never take a risk on new routes and aircraft. I would have thought that a number of 300s becoming available would be an excellent opportunity for them.

I'm not sure I understand your post, if Sutton Harbour Holdings are running them that rigidly by the accountants and not wanting to risk expansion (no bad thing - but I see your point) then why would they be interested in the available aircraft? The reason I doubt them getting more aircraft is that they have just shelved the NQY-CWL-MAN flights which will free up an aircraft should they want to increase operation, but, nevertheless, it would be good to see them continue expansion.

Dan Smile

JobsaGoodun

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 8):
Flybe cannot afford to take any aircraft out of service as they're already short on planes. The whole Embraer 145 fleet will not be gone for a good few years yet.

The 145's are already beginning to leave but with 28 to move out of the fleet this will only take place as new Q400's are delivered. Flybe will have a new aircraft (Q400/E195) arriving (on average) every 20 days for the next 2 years. The ER4's will all be gone by the end of 2009, however this is only as it was planned!

BMED

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:14 am

(loganair springs to mind

Loganair don't operate the jetstream.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

Brymon
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks for all info.

It would be interesting to see if the 141 ever finds a new home, and where the DH3's and ER4's go when they eventually find homes. I think Flybe's current issue is still finding enough pilots to keep there current fleet in the air. They have a lot of flying subchartered to other operators at the moment.

skidmarks

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
The Dashes are the original non Q technology variants

The Dashes were all Q311A's and were all between 9 and 12 years old. All had the NVS system fitted (not that it worked much of the time) and despite looking slightly shabby (no wash plan) were in good nick.

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 3):

Not from where I'm sitting, which is in the LMC/Ops office at Eastern. To my knowledge we are looking for more J-41's as and when they become viable and available. 2 more Saab 2000's join the fleet shortly (G-CERY/008 & G-CERZ/042). G-MAJW is still at PIK being readied for service which will be the last J-41 at the moment. If anything happens with the leases it will be Eastern renewing the leases on the aircraft we have.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Boeing77W

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 10):
I'm not sure I understand your post

Sorry I meant to say that I can see where you're coming from and I too doubt that WOW have any expansion plans due to the axing of several routes and the fact that expansion plans seem to be kept to a minimum. I was agreeing with you but wondered if you had any extra information to support your doubts.

vv701

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Brymon (Thread starter):
Also how many aircraft remain in the BA Colours?

A difficult question to answer without insider knowledge. However considering the mainstay of the fleet, the EMB145 and coming at the issue from the opposite direction, there are photos on a.net that show:

No 145s yet pictured in full Flybe livery including the light blue lower fuselage.

G-ERJA, 'JC, 'JD, JF, G-EMBS, 'BT, BU and 'BV all photographed painted white with 'flybe' tail/rear fuselage and forward fuselage titles:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sven Ole Niwek
View Large View Medium

Photo © Stewart Andrew

View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Willson - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stewart Andrew
View Large View Medium

Photo © Terry Wade

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bianca Renz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sascha Kamrau

G-EMBE and 'BM both pictured in Basic BA livery (white upper fuselage, engines and tail, dark blue lower fuselage) with 'flybe' titles on forward fuselage only:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Holger Frank
View Large View Medium

Photo © Felix Mayer727

G-ERJD, G-EMBG and 'BH pictured in Basic BA livery with 'flybe' titles on tail/rear fuselage and forward fuselage:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Nikel

G-ERJE pictured in Basic BA livery with no titles:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rotate

G-EMBC, 'BD, 'BI, 'BK, 'BL, 'BN, 'BO and 'BP have all been photographed since 1 April in full BA livery but have not subsequently been photographed in any alternative livery.

Note that some aircraft shown above with 'flybe' titles may also have been pictured since 1 April in an intermediate scheme such as Basic BA livery with no titles. As an example here is G-ERJD pictured in two versions on the hybrid Flybe/BA livery:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gordon Stretch
View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best

There are no pictures of G-ERJB, G-EMBF or 'BJ on a-net taken since 1 April.

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 7):
the J41 fleet was operated by its affiliate from Denmark Sun-Air until past year...

And I believe Sun-Air still have a J31 in service.

bmibaby737

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:01 am

See here for livery information:

http://www.jethros.i12.com/fleets/fleet_listings/flybe.htm

The only one which is incorrect is G-EMBD of which I've sent off a correction for.

bmi

PlymSpotter

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 14):
The Dashes were all Q311A's and were all between 9 and 12 years old. All had the NVS system fitted (not that it worked much of the time) and despite looking slightly shabby (no wash plan) were in good nick.

Thanks Andy, it doesn't show them as being the A versions on the fleet listing I have - were the ex BA aircraft which went to WOW the Qs too - it doesn't say this, but I'm just wondering?

Quoting Boeing77W (Reply 15):
Sorry I meant to say that I can see where you're coming from and I too doubt that WOW have any expansion plans due to the axing of several routes and the fact that expansion plans seem to be kept to a minimum. I was agreeing with you but wondered if you had any extra information to support your doubts.

Ah, I understand now fully  Smile

Dan Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos