Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tonymctigue

RE: Climbing Northbound From 36: More Irish Aviation!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:42 am

Apparently the government has ruled out using their stake to overturn the decision. The odd thing was, it was actually Mary Hanafin who made the announcement & not Noel Dempsy. Why would the Minister for Education make an announcement relating to a problem that clearly lies with the Department of Transport unless of course Noel Dempsy is away on holidays or something like that? I can't imagine why any government minister who's department has nothing to do with the current situation would volunteer to get involved with this mess.

These last few weeks are really turning out to be up there with the worst weeks in recent EI history. This whole pilots situation doesn't seem like it will be going away any time soon either & lets not forget that there is still 5 months before the BFS-LHR flights start so potentially 5 more months of fighting can take place. EI have certainly dug a mighty impressive hole & it looks like they haven't put down the shovel yet.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

EI787

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:28 am

Nice bit of goodwill by RE:

Quote:
Aer Arann offers free flight changes to Aer Lingus passengers
16/08/2007 - 18:27:54

Aer Arann has said it will change the booking of any customer who is connecting to an Aer Lingus flight during next week's expected disruptions to the Aer Lingus schedule free of charge.

Aer Lingus pilots are due to strike next Tuesday and Wednesday to protest the airline's plans to hire new pilots in Belfast on different terms and conditions.

The strike will affect 50,000 passengers and will ground hundreds of flights.

Aer Arann customers who have flight reservations for Tuesday and Wednesday have been advised to call Aer Arann reservations on 0818 210 210.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhcwmhidsnsn/

COEI2007

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 99):
Interesting new development:

EI has made a change to the ORK and BFS flights to LHR.

ORK now reverts to the old timetable (a/c overnights @ ORK). Still served by an A321 (although row 30-36 are blocked out).
BFS recieves the old SNN timings. (a/c overnights @LHR), still served by A320.

Could this mean that EI, if forced to, may reinstate SNN-LHR at the expense of BFS. Perhaps BFS will take slots from DUB instead? I do believe that BFS will get a LHR service.

Maybe somethink like this?

LHR-SNN-LHR-BFS-LHR-BFS-LHR-SNN-LHR.

The 07:50 from DUB might move to BFS, with the earlier 06:40 becomming a A332?

Maybe a late night slot could be procured from somewhere? Otherwise the late evening service EI wants at BFS will not be possible unless a DUB flight is sacrificed.

Brian.

I'm very curious about this! A330 coming in from JFK/BOS could operate a LHR service, but this would not be the ideal solution. Ground time in LHR would be greatly increased, with a much longer turnaround for an A330 than a 320 which usually operates the EI152 to LHR at 6.40. The 7.50 slot could be moved to BFS, but somehow I dont think DUB would be too happy!

Either way, I'm growing tired of hearing about this! Also, I'm dying to see what happens with the pilots strike, and if I will be working on Tuesday/Wednesday!

COEI2007

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:39 am

Interesting new development:

EI has made a change to the ORK and BFS flights to LHR.

ORK now reverts to the old timetable (a/c overnights @ ORK). Still served by an A321 (although row 30-36 are blocked out).
BFS recieves the old SNN timings. (a/c overnights @LHR), still served by A320.

Could this mean that EI, if forced to, may reinstate SNN-LHR at the expense of BFS. Perhaps BFS will take slots from DUB instead? I do believe that BFS will get a LHR service.

Maybe somethink like this?

LHR-SNN-LHR-BFS-LHR-BFS-LHR-SNN-LHR.

The 07:50 from DUB might move to BFS, with the earlier 06:40 becomming a A332?

Maybe a late night slot could be procured from somewhere? Otherwise the late evening service EI wants at BFS will not be possible unless a DUB flight is sacrificed.

Brian.

I'm very curious about this! An A330 coming in from JFK/BOS could operate a LHR service, but this would not be the ideal solution. Ground time in LHR would be greatly increased, with a much longer turnaround for an A330 than a 320 which usually operates the EI152 to LHR at 6.40. I'm sure a lot of a.net-ers would be very happy to have an A330 going to LHR! Plus, a lot of business pax would like to have a premier seat to Heathrow! Imagine you got DUO or DUZ!!!!!!

The 7.50 slot could be moved to BFS, but somehow I dont think DUB would be too happy!

Either way, I'm growing tired of hearing about this! Also, I'm dying to see what happens with the pilots strike, and if I will be working on Tuesday/Wednesday!

EISHN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 102):
I'm very curious about this! A330 coming in from JFK/BOS could operate a LHR service, but this would not be the ideal solution. Ground time in LHR would be greatly increased, with a much longer turnaround for an A330 than a 320 which usually operates the EI152 to LHR at 6.40. The 7.50 slot could be moved to BFS, but somehow I dont think DUB would be too happy!

Ei should be able to do this. The Malage flight is operated by the aircraft doing the 104. SO you could just put an A333 on one of the LHR flights. As for time on the ground. At DUb just remove everything in terms of head rest covers, blankets, pillows, headphones etc. At Lhr then all you have to do is a quick clean up of the aircraft. I don't think it would be too hard to do in an hour. Get the staff to help out as well like on FR. They can go around before landing with rubbish bags to collect rubbish, to save time on the ground.

Still served by an A321 (although row 30-36 are blocked out).

Why's this?

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 104):
Why's this?

Probably a weight/balance issue; if they believe they won't have enough pax to fill the flight, the C of G has to be kept within certain limits and this is probably the way they achieve this? Just a guess!

I don't think the announcement by Hanafin that the govt won't intervene is going to end things; really, the most likely response is that the SNN-LHR lobbyists will take the view that there's not enough voltage running through the electrodes. The (political) pain level needs to be turned up a few notches! Hanafin is, after all a Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) TD, so she's unlikely to feel too much for the needs of the west (as they would perceive it).

It still leaves a problem for the govt; are they going to abstain and if not (i.e. they vote with EI), how do they reconcile that with the minister's stance and more particularly, how are they going to convince their own TDs - who will be in the firing line - that this is the correct stance?

Can FR win the EI EGM vote without the govt's support?

tonymctigue

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 105):
Can FR win the EI EGM vote without the govt's support?

If the government do no use their vote, all FR need is 37.5% of which they already have 25% & if the ESOT & the pilots group combine their respective stakes there should be enough to win the vote. However, if the government use their vote against FR (thereby committing political suicide in the West) then I doubt that FR will be able to gain enough support to overturn the decision.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

tonymctigue

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:14 am

Just saw tonights Prime Time. There was a report about the SNN-LHR issue & interviews with Dermont Mannion & Tony Killeen. Tony Killeen handled himself pretty well & really is the voice of reason on behalf of the West. Dermot Mannion was so so. He asked several times if he would have a problem with the government voting aginst the decision should they choose to do so but did not give any sort of an acceptable answer.

I wish some other carrier would come out & announce that they intend to start SNN-LHR flights in Janurary or at least to some other major European hub & then everybody will be happy. SNN will have its hub airport link, EI will get its BFS base including 4xDaily's to LHR, the EI board will be saved the humiliation of trying to defend & possiblly having to overturn its decision at an EGM, MOL will not be seen as the golden boy who saved SNN & the local politicans along with the government will get off the hook without having to make a decision between the future of EI & the future of the Western seaboard. This way, we can all stop talking about this annoying issue & get along with our lives.

Danny

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:38 am

Get the staff to help out as well like on FR.

Not possible. SIPTU will call for strike.

aerarann

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 am

I saw on the news that there was 303 passengers on the EI 330 @ AGP. Excellent Load

OA260

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 107):
Just saw tonights Prime Time. There was a report about the SNN-LHR issue & interviews with Dermont Mannion & Tony Killeen. Tony Killeen handled himself pretty well & really is the voice of reason on behalf of the West. Dermot Mannion was so so. He asked several times if he would have a problem with the government voting aginst the decision should they choose to do so but did not give any sort of an acceptable answer.

Yes I saw it also . Quite good. Will be interesting next week anyway.

Quoting AerArann (Reply 109):
I saw on the news that there was 303 passengers on the EI 330 @ AGP. Excellent Load

Yeah just shame about what they had to go through .

iRISH251

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 am

I don't think the announcement by Hanafin that the govt won't intervene is going to end things; really, the most likely response is that the SNN-LHR lobbyists will take the view that there's not enough voltage running through the electrodes. The (political) pain level needs to be turned up a few notches! Hanafin is, after all a Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) TD, so she's unlikely to feel too much for the needs of the west (as they would perceive it).

But Hanafin, in saying this, is not speaking just for herself. She will have been briefed as to what the Government line is before articulating it. If you are familiar with her record, she is invariably "on message" and never does a solo run so I would say you can take her statement as a fairly firm indication as to how Bertie wants to play this, for now at any rate.

You are right, most Ministers are on holiday at the moment but there are always a couple who agree to be on duty during August; as Education Minister, Hanafin is around because of the exam results and related issues. It is Willie O'Dea in particular who risks ending up offside on this one, as he will not enjoy a lot of support among the Cabinet for his Limerick/Clare-centric view of the issue.

EI787

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Kaitak From Ireland, joined exactly 8 years ago today! , 5310 posts, RR: 8

Just saw it now...Happy A.net Birthday Kaitak!!! Here's to another 8 (at the very least)!!  birthday   champagne   present  Big grin

EISHN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:28 am

Happy A.net birthday Kaitak!

And many more!!!

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks very much folks; can it really be eight years! Wow! I can still remember my first post - it was about Japanese domestic 747s!

Anyway, I didn't see Prime Time last night (not being in the country!), but apparently a tape was played wherein DM said that the 25% govt shareholding could be used to stop decisions being made of which the govt didn't improve (specifically re Heathrow); DM was poor in answering that (he couldn't really), but of course, the real damage is probably political.

If Bertie wants to play it "hands off", I think the pain level is going to have to be turned up in the SNN region; it may result in FF TDs having to resign their whips and threaten the govt; the FF/Green/PD majority is not large; between Clare, Tipp and Limerick, there are at least six FF TDs (considerably more, I'm sure) who could jump ship and make life very interesting, politically.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:02 pm

The Irish Times is reporting that FR has increased its EI shareholding to 28%; now this is getting very interesting! That's pretty much the same size as the govt's holding. Add the ESOT and a few others and it's pretty darn close to overturning it. So, not only can he overturn it (if that's how it turns out), FR can print an add in the paper saying:

"Ryanair gives SNN back its Heathrow link ... no thanks to Bertie!"

If someone had told me eight years ago ... "your havin' a laugh, mate!" ...

tonymctigue

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 112):
Kaitak From Ireland, joined exactly 8 years ago today! , 5310 posts, RR: 8

Happy A.net birthday Kaitak & also many thanks for entertaining us all so much by organising the Irish threads. They just keep on getting more & more interesting don't they.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 115):
The Irish Times is reporting that FR has increased its EI shareholding to 28%; now this is getting very interesting! That's pretty much the same size as the govt's holding. Add the ESOT and a few others and it's pretty darn close to overturning it. So, not only can he overturn it (if that's how it turns out), FR can print an add in the paper saying:

"Ryanair gives SNN back its Heathrow link ... no thanks to Bertie!"

Very interesting developement. This puts me wondering, if retail investors think there is a threat of the decision being overturned, would they sell their shares & up & run even before the EGM. This could also be a diabolical scheme cooked up by MOL to get rid of some of the smaller shareholders such that he can buy up their stock & indrease his percentage of the company. Whatever his motivation is, I refuse to believe he suddenly started caring about someone other than himself & is only doing this for the benefit of the region.

aer lingus

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 pm

Just saw this on this morning's Metro paper. Ryanair is giving out free flights to students who failed their A-Level exams. Students will present their failed result sheet and will get free flights for 2 people.

Whats up with FR this time?

bigthumbsup 
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

jwmd123

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Aer lingus (Reply 117):
Just saw this on this morning's Metro paper. Ryanair is giving out free flights to students who failed their A-Level exams. Students will present their failed result sheet and will get free flights for 2 people.

Whats up with FR this time?

Anything and I mean anything for a bit of publicity

al2637

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 pm

Yes, FR now own 28% of Aer Lingus, more than the governments 25% and the ESOTs 12.6%. I believe it would now require the goernment to back the BFS move for it to go ahead! (assuming ESOT side with SNN).

i.e. FR + ESOT = 40.6%, and if the government don't vote, that equals 54.1% of votes.

COEI2007

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting AerArann (Reply 109):

Its always like that! Its mad how many people go to AGP!

Ei should be able to do this. The Malage flight is operated by the aircraft doing the 104. SO you could just put an A333 on one of the LHR flights. As for time on the ground. At DUb just remove everything in terms of head rest covers, blankets, pillows, headphones etc. At Lhr then all you have to do is a quick clean up of the aircraft. I don't think it would be too hard to do in an hour. Get the staff to help out as well like on FR. They can go around before landing with rubbish bags to collect rubbish, to save time on the ground.

The 104 gets in at 05.10, so a 6.40 departure would be tight enough. They would have to allow an hour and a half on the ground in LHR. We would clear in the rubbish before landing anyway, so the a/c wouldnt be that dirty, but the whole process of up to 300 pax disembarking would take a long time. Even with a 321, when its full, it takes a good while to board and disembark. An hour would be really pushing it!

Also, I saw FR are dropping SNN-MAD! I wonder if this is just for the winter? The south and west will be left with no MAD service. Pity EI is dropping MAD for the winter!

[Edited 2007-08-17 11:15:24]

Danny

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 121):
Also, I saw FR are dropping SNN-MAD!

And where are unions, politicians and business to whine about it?

EISHN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:01 pm

From The Irish Times

The planned strike by nearly 500 pilots at Aer Lingus is set to go ahead next week after attempts to convene talks to resolve the dispute ended unsuccessfully last night.

In a separate development the Government has reiterated its determination not to intervene in the ongoing row over the termination of the Aer Lingus service from Shannon to Heathrow despite demands for action by Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea and Fianna Fáil politicians in the midwest.

In a statement on behalf of the Government, Minister for Education Mary Hanafin said that, as a listed plc, Aer Lingus had to take its own decisions: "It is inappropriate for the Government to intervene in the decision-making of a private company. To do so would ultimately be damaging to the company and its customers."

But she said that the Government was disappointed at the Aer Lingus decision.

Fine Gael maintained that the Government was in complete disarray while the Labour Party accused Mr O'Dea of trying to rewrite history on the privatisation of Aer Lingus.

Pilots at the airline plan to strike next Tuesday and Wednesday over the terms and conditions being offered to staff at the new Belfast base.

Aer Lingus last night rejected a proposal by the Impact trade union to lift the strike threat if the company shelved its recruitment campaign for pilots in Belfast and entered into talks at the Labour Relations Commission (LRC). Aer Lingus chief executive Dermot Mannion said that the company could not agree, for commercial and other reasons, to the "stringent preconditions" set by the union for talks.

Sources said there was no immediate indication that the Labour Court or the LRC would try to bring the parties together, but this remained a possibility over the weekend.

In a new development, Ryanair is believed to have spent €37.6 million yesterday on increasing its stake in Aer Lingus from 25.2 per cent to 28 per cent. It is understood that the budget airline bought 16 million shares at €2.35 each from an unnamed seller.

© 2007 The Irish Times

And from breakingnews.ie

Shannon pull-out will go ahead: Mannion
17/08/2007 - 11:01:30

Aer Lingus chief executive Dermot Mannion today insisted the controversial Shannon pull-out would go ahead as he prepared to meet politicians and business leaders opposed to the plan.

However, he insisted the airline remains committed to Shannon despite the decision to axe its Heathrow route.

Mr Mannion was speaking as he arrived in Shannon this morning for talks with local politicians and business groups opposed to the decision.

His first meeting is with Defence Minister Willie O'Dea and Junior Minister Tony Killeen, who have broken ranks with the Government by calling for the move to be reversed.

Speaking ahead of the talks, Mr Mannion said: "Aer Lingus has a significant ongoing contribution to make to Shannon.

"We're here to engage with all the stakeholders in the Shannon area today and make sure they understand the extent of Aer Lingus's ongoing commitment to Shannon Airport and the Shannon region.

Advertisment
"This has been a very, very difficult process for us. That's exactly why we're here - to explain the rationale for the decision and to move forward in a very positive way."

With a day of tough talks lined up, speculation was mounting the airline was planning to bid for new Heathrow slots for the Mid-West when existing deals at the London airport expire.

On his way into the Park Inn Hotel at Shannon Airport, Mr Mannion warned the Shannon cutbacks were going ahead.

Later Mr Mannion is to meet representatives of Clare County Council, lobbyists from the Irish Business and Employers Confederation (IBEC) and the Shannon Airport Authority.

Leading businessmen from the Mid-West have also been given time with the Aer Lingus chief along with the Atlantic Connectivity Alliance (ACA), a coalition of tourism and industry chiefs and concerned locals.

Mayor of Clare Patricia McCarthy said representatives will be driving home the economic impact that a partial pull-out of the airline from Shannon will have on the wider region.

“If this goes through Shannon will be the only part of Ireland that does not have a direct link to London Heathrow and that is not going to happen,” the Mayor insisted.

rineanna

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 122):
And where are unions, politicians and business to whine about it?

I think you could work out why dropping 3xDaily hub connection to LHR would cause greater unrest than a 3xweekly FR route to MAD. Of course the dropping of any route will be a blow to the airport (As i'm sure MAD was), but the dropping of the route is being compensated by the launch of the 8 new routes so there should be little, if any, drop in PAX numbers. Then again, any future network changes at SNN are probably going to be met with this type of attitude. The interest groups made a balls of the whole situation and how they went about it; they did themselves or SNN no favours. But the basic premise of their arguments is justified; there wouldn't be such uproar if this wasn't as crucial to the business community as it is. What I love to read on the papers and elsewhere, are rants from people from outside the region who think they know more about the effects of this move on the businesses in the region than the business figures themselves. As I said before, the hoteliers and others are not putting these multi-million developments on hold (as we've been hearing about e.g Dromoland) for the craic of it, or for the sake of kicking up a fuss and frustrating EI. I think they just might know a tad more about the effects of this to their companies' viability, and ultimately to employment in mid-west.

Danny

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 124):
I think you could work out why dropping 3xDaily hub connection to LHR would cause greater unrest than a 3xweekly FR route to MAD.

How many other links to Madrid does Shannon have? And how many other links to London?

This is about something completely different. Not the first time FR axes SNN and everybody is happy because they know MOL pisses at them anyway. But when it comes to EI everyone feels they should tell EI what to do and where to fly.

Politicians, MOL and employees as main shareholders, I feel sory for DM.  banghead 

EISHN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:36 pm

Apparently EI have gotten rid of their fast pass bag drop desks at LHR. So if you use online check in or the fast pass machines, you still have to check in as normal. There's only four check desks, so it takes forever.
I'm quite suprissed at this move by EI. Sureley they could have kept at least one fast pass bag drop desk?

smokeyrosco

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Anyone check out the poll on the RTE news site "should the government intervene in the EI Row"

[Edited 2007-08-17 14:51:20]
John Hancock

EIDAA

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 127):
Anyone check out the poll on the RTE news site "should the government intervene in the EI Row"

Yes, interesting to see the current status - 43% No, 12% Yes, As a Last Resort and 45% Yes, Right Now.

Also interesting to read the comments from the RTE interview with David Learmont from Flight International - saying how he can't understand the reaction to the EI decision. He said that Shannon is already linked to the other two London hubs and does not need the LHR link. He highlighted that the rest of the world is shunning Heathrow because it is 'congested and unreliable' in favour of interchanges at Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.

Quoting Danny (Reply 125):
Politicians, MOL and employees as main shareholders, I feel sory for DM.  banghead 

Me too. I would absolutely hate that job, way more grief than it is worth. If this continues he might just be better off leaving with a "Well, I tried... good luck to the lot of ye!"
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

OA260

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 114):
Anyway, I didn't see Prime Time last night (not being in the country!), but apparently a tape was played wherein DM said that the 25% govt shareholding could be used to stop decisions being made of which the govt didn't improve (specifically re Heathrow); DM was poor in answering that (he couldn't really), but of course, the real damage is probably political.

Haha yes I saw this bit and was amused by it. Never say anything thats recorded LOL....

----------------------------------

Passengers face chaos after pilots threaten further strikes - Now, the pilots' trade union, Impact, has warned that further strike action at the airline will come "sooner rather than later" unless the company reconsiders its position in the dispute.

---------------------------------

Ryanair eyes more bases in Spain - Ryanair sees room to open two more bases in Spain by around 2010 and will double passengers there, the airline said yesterday, a week after announcing its presence in the country would double to four hubs

Businesses play down impact of Aer Lingus pull-out from Shannon – (Editorial) THREE-quarters of businesses in the mid-west say the ending of the Aer Lingus Shannon-Heathrow flights will have little or no impact on employment or investment levels at their companies. The surprise finding is contained in a report commissioned by employers group Ibec, which includes responses from 200 local companies who employ almost 50,000. Just 25pc of those firms said the ending of the Shannon-Heathrow route would have a "very negative impact" on the number of jobs in their company, while 32pc said it would have a "slight negative impact" and 43pc said there would be no impact at all.

Airline abandons plan for early Heathrow flight to Cork - AER LINGUS will now not introduce an early morning flight from Heathrow to Cork after it rowed back on plans to move its most attractive landing slots to Belfast.

---------------------------------

€29,000 fine for Ryanair over slot breaches - Ryanair has been fined £20,000 (€29,561) for repeatedly and intentionally operating flights at times significantly different from its allocated slots at Stansted Airport.

--------------------------------

Aer Lingus urged to press ahead in Belfast

Gerry Moriarty, Northern Editor

North-South relations would be politically damaged if the Government intervened to persuade Aer Lingus to reverse its decision to establish its first base outside the Republic at Belfast International Airport, DUP MP Jeffrey Donaldson claimed yesterday.

Senior Northern Ireland politicians urged Aer Lingus to press ahead with its new operation at Belfast International Airport. Ulster Unionist MEP Jim Nicholson said the Northern Executive may have to intervene to ensure the move.

The DUP, Sinn Féin, the Ulster Unionist Party and the SDLP made clear yesterday that the opening of Aer Lingus routes from the airport, commonly known as Aldergrove, was a crucial economic development for Northern Ireland.

The strongest comments came from Lagan Valley MP Mr Donaldson who played a pivotal role in persuading Aer Lingus to open its first base outside the Republic at Aldergrove.

"If the Irish Government were to intervene politically to seek to overturn what was purely a commercial decision, it would have very serious implications for the prospects of future North-South co-operation," he said.

"It would be seen as a body blow to the prospects for bringing economic prosperity to Northern Ireland. I think it would seriously damage North-South co-operation at all levels and undoubtedly undermine what has been the growing co-operation between Belfast and Dublin."

Mr Donaldson also told The Irish Times about his involvement in bringing Aer Lingus to Northern Ireland, opening up flights to Heathrow and seven other European destinations. Aer Lingus had concerns about the political climate in the North, he said. "We were able to reassure them that - in the context of what was a purely commercial decision - that they would be welcome in Northern Ireland and that we would accommodate them in making the move to Belfast International Airport."

Ulster Unionist MEP Jim Nicholson warned that the Northern Ireland Executive may have to consider intervening in the controversy "to ensure that the Aer Lingus decision to base its new UK hub at Belfast goes ahead as planned".

"The First Minister and the Executive will have to consider intervening to ensure that the Aer Lingus plans go ahead. It is a situation which nobody wants to see happen but ultimately may be required if the plans are in danger. Quite clearly, those involved must get a grip on the situation very quickly. The reaction of many in the Republic of Ireland has left a bitter taste in the mouth. North-South economic co-operation cannot always benefit one side more than the other.

"After years of missing out on so much, Northern Ireland deserves to see economic investment of the type Aer Lingus has committed to, which after all was made on a sound, pragmatic economic basis."

Mitchel McLaughlin, Sinn Féin MLA for South Antrim, where the airport is based, said he believed a compromise could be reached that would benefit Shannon and Belfast. What was required was balanced regional development on the island of Ireland where the development of Belfast International Airport "should not have and did not have to be at the expense of Shannon".

"What all this highlights is the pressing need for a joined-up approach to the economy and specifically to economic development," said Mr McLaughlin.

SDLP MP Dr Alasdair McDonnell said the issue of Aer Lingus moving to Belfast "need not be a zero-sum game between Aldergrove and Shannon". He was conscious of the sensitivities and the sense of loss of the people of Shannon but said the decision should not be altered by Government intervention.

EISHN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:25 pm

UNCLE SEAMUS WANTS YOU!!!!

http://www.shannonactiongroup.info/

Big version: Width: 838 Height: 1175 File size: 486kb

OA260

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 130):
UNCLE SEAMUS WANTS YOU!!!!

http://www.shannonactiongroup.info/

LOL...thats better than the EI ads !!! Get out your sandals EISHN!!! We want a TR LOL....

OA260

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:02 am

How come EI 152 will be definatley flying on strike day 21st August DUB-LHR and the call center said that it will be EI crew and A/C???

I had clients on the EI 154 which is definately cancelled and they put them on the 152

[Edited 2007-08-17 17:04:51]

EISHN

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 131):
Get out your sandals EISHN!!! We want a TR LOL....

I might go down there and see what's up. I'll bring a camera if I do.
BTW, it's hardly sandle weather down here OA260!!

rineanna

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 132):
How come EI 152 will be definatley flying on strike day 21st August DUB-LHR and the call center said that it will be EI crew and A/C???

Is it only the pilots that are going on strike, or is it the cabin crew aswell? If it is the case of the former, would they be able to source pilots from other airlines, such as ACMI airlines or the sort. I'm not sure how these things work, but maybe if the likes of the charter airlines had spare capacity (in terms of flight crew, which is unlikely at this time of the holiday season) they could set up some sort of arrangement.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 129):
those involved must get a grip on the situation very quickly.

........or else, what??? I do agree that the lobby groups need to stop acting like children and engage in something which resembles adult-like negotiations, but I can't say that this imbecile's rhetoric is really aiding the situation.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 129):
The reaction of many in the Republic of Ireland has left a bitter taste in the mouth.

Tut, tut. Slap across the wrist for upsetting Mr. Nicholson.

OA260

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 133):
BTW, it's hardly sandle weather down here OA260!!

That doesnt seem to stop the Irish LOL...they just wear socks with them  flamed 

jwmd123

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:38 am

What do you know, decision was due YESTERDAY on the new runway and still nothing.

Still showing up on an board pleanala website. Also the date has been revised for T2 to 23/08. Maybe another busy week in Irish aviation next week

Come on planning guys, put us all out of our misery!!!!!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/217429.htm

OA260

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 136):
What do you know, decision was due YESTERDAY on the new runway and still nothing.

Still showing up on an board pleanala website. Also the date has been revised for T2 to 23/08. Maybe another busy week in Irish aviation next week

Come on planning guys, put us all out of our misery!!!!!

Do they not have to stick to dates in this country??? Its so off putting all the delays. What a shambles. Maybe they are putting it off due to the current EI problems and SNN or am I being paranoid!!

bx737

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 134):
Is it only the pilots that are going on strike, or is it the cabin crew aswell?

No it is just the pilots.

aerarann

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:12 am

Heres the EI strike schedule

Quote:
The following limited schedules will operate:

Departures on Tuesday 21st and Wednesday 22nd August
Departure time Arrival time
EI152 Dublin-London-Heathrow 06:40 08:05
EI153 London-Heathrow-Dublin 09:05 10:20
EI162 Dublin-London-Heathrow 11:20 12:35
EI163 London-Heathrow-Dublin 13:25 14:40 *21st Only
EI164 Dublin-London-Heathrow 12:10 13:25
EI165 London-Heathrow-Dublin 14:25 15:40 *22nd Only
EI167 London-Heathrow-Dublin 15:50 17:05
EI174 Dublin-London-Heathrow 15:45 17:05 *21st Only
EI176 Dublin-London-Heathrow 17:00 18:15 *22nd Only
EI177 London-Heathrow-Dublin 19:10 20:25
EI175 London-Heathrow-Dublin 18:10 19:25
EI182 Dublin-London-Heathrow 19:00 20:15
EI183 London-Heathrow-Dublin 21:10 22:20
EI194 Dublin-London-Heathrow 21:15 22:25 *22nd Only

Tuesday 21st and Wednesday 22nd August
EI715 London-Heathrow-Cork 14:15 15:30
EI722 Cork-London Heathrow 16:15 17:30
EI723 London-Heathrow-Cork 18:25 19:40
EI724 Cork-London Heathrow 20:20 21:35

Tuesday 21st August
EI376 Shannon-London Heathrow 12:55 14:15
EI381 London Heathrow - Shannon 15:10 16:30

Wednesday 22nd August
EI382 Shannon-London Heathrow 17:15 18:35
EI383 London Heathrow - Shannon 19:25 20:45

EI214 Dublin-Manchester 12:00 12:50
EI215 Manchester-Dublin 13:20 14:15
EI208 Dublin-Manchester 14:55 15:45
EI209 Manchester-Dublin 16:30 17:20
EI216 Dublin-Manchester 19:00 19:50

EI602 Dublin-Amsterdam 06:10 08:45
EI603 Amsterdam-Dublin 09:40 10:15
EI604 Dublin-Amsterdam 09:40 12:15 *21st Only
EI605 Amsterdam-Dublin 13:10 13:45 *21st Only
EI606 Dublin-Amsterdam 11:20 13:55 *22nd Only
EI607 Amsterdam-Dublin 14:40 15:15 *22nd Only
EI608 Dublin-Amsterdam 14:15 16:50 *21st Only
EI609 Amsterdam-Dublin 17:45 18:20 *21st Only

EI584 Dublin-Malaga 11:00 14:30 *21st Only
EI585 Malaga-Dublin 08:00 10:00 *21st Only
EI586 Dublin-Malaga 15:30 19:25 *21st Only
EI587 Malaga-Dublin 20:20 22:20 *21st Only
EI584 Dublin-Malaga 07:50 11:45 *22nd Only
EI585 Malaga-Dublin 13:00 15:00 *22nd Only
EI588 Malaga-Dublin 18:15 22:05 *22nd Only
EI589 Malaga-Dublin 23:00 00:55 *22nd Only

EI498 Dublin-Faro 16:30 19:10
EI499 Faro-Dublin 19:50 22:40

EI436 Dublin-Milan (Malpensa) 16:45 20:30 *21st Only
EI437 Milan (Malpensa)-Dublin 21:20 22:50 *21st Only

EI698 Dublin-Dusseldorf 17:20 20:10 *21st Only

iRISH251

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 128):
Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 127):

Yes, interesting to see the current status - 43% No, 12% Yes, As a Last Resort and 45% Yes, Right Now.

These polls are meaningless and have no credibility as the "voters" are a self-selecting group.

BTW, if that is a full list of the EI services to operate during the strike, it's interesting to see that there are no transatlantic flights included.

BrianDromey

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:50 am

Probably a weight/balance issue; if they believe they won't have enough pax to fill the flight, the C of G has to be kept within certain limits and this is probably the way they achieve this? Just a guess!

My guess would be so that they can change to an A320, if needs be.

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 140):
BTW, if that is a full list of the EI services to operate during the strike, it's interesting to see that there are no transatlantic flights included.

No T/A flights are to operate on teh 21 & 22nd, nor will any eastbound service operate on the 23rd. According to aerlingus.com's US homepage.

Brian.

OA260

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:58 am

Yep all TA's cancelled::

DUB JFK 1030 1300 EI 105 JX DX YX BX HX KX MX VX NX LX#33X
DUB JFK 1700 1930 EI 109 JX DX YX BX HX KX MX VX NX LX#330

DUB ORD 1150 1400 EI 123 JX DX YX BX HX KX MX VX NX LX#332

DUB LAX 1115 1420 EI 145 JX DX YX BX HX KX MX VX NX LX#33D

widebody

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:16 am

If this strike goes ahead, I think it'll change the face of Aer Lingus. MOL didn't pick up up an extra few percent of Aer Lingus over the last few days by accident. Shareholders stood up against MOL expecting something in return. This reef of bad publicity was not what was expected. Coupled with the fact that its very likely DM will go, there'll be a flood of shares.....into MOL's hands. The pilots have picked up shovels to help dig their own graves. They've got everyones attention, they should suspend the strike pending management talks and see how it goes. If nothing fruitful in the next few weeks, then they can go at it again.

EISHN

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:59 am

Well seeing as most people think that DM will be gone by the end of the year, who do you think might replace him?
Does anyone think it might be done internally like WW. If it is done, I'd say it'll be Enda Corneille. That's if he doesn't leave as well.
Is there anyone in the Irish business world who might be a likely successor? And what if a woman was to take control? EI has never had a woman at it's helms, so it would be interesting if it turned out any different to how it would turn out.
Just a thought.

aerarann

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 am

Was in work today and got stung rapid by my manager with all the RE load factors for July up on the screen. As im still in the Bank, it didn't go down to well.

I'll try post them tomorrow if i can ... all quite good, especially ORK-EDI,BRS and JER from what i remember.

rineanna

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 145):
Was in work today and got stung rapid by my manager with all the RE load factors for July up on the screen. As im still in the Bank, it didn't go down to well.

Nasty! What did he/she say to you?

AirNZ

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 81):
BFS was essentially left with LCC's to the other UK airports and nothing more.

Quoting N272WA (Reply 81):
In the case of Belfast, BMI then stepped in and albeit from BHD, relinked Belfast to LHR again.

This is totally wrong, so am curious where you're getting it. BMI always flew BFS-LHR in direct competition with BA and, indeed, operated dual flights from both BFS and BHD for a period before relocating totally to BHD.
Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

Could this mean that EI, if forced to, may reinstate SNN-LHR at the expense of BFS.

Without a frequent (at least 3x daily and pref more) service BFS-LHR I really don't see the point in EI then setting up a BFS base. What benefit would it have if no LHR?
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:39 pm

FR looking to increase EI stake to 29.99%!

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...p-stake-in-aer-lingus-1061672.html

Now already the biggest single s/h in EI. Waiting until the price is right. "Michael O'Leary, come on down"!

Also, EI is apparently to wet-lease FR aircraft to operate services next Tues and Wed. That'll go down well with IALPA! Aren't FR pilots IALPA members too?

dstc47

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:36 pm

I saw suggestions elsewhere that SNN may sell off land to finance the airport in its new partly "stand alone" mode.

I believe ORK has already decided to do land sales but does anybody know what land SNN is considering for disposal? Given this countries track record on silly decisions re land in key locations being sold off cheaply and then found to be needed for developments that could be predicted, we should keep an eye on this.

As for alternative aircraft to operate EI TA services next week, I guess Air Plus Comet and North American must have no spare capacity.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos