Anetter123
Topic Author

South Terminal/Concourse J - MIA - Opening Aug. 29

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 am

She is finally here!
After almost a decade of construction, MIA will soon have a new sector to its terminal and a new concourse.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/070816/story6.shtml

Week of August 16, 2007

Future arrives Aug. 29 for MIA with terminal opening

Miami International Airport's $1.1 billion 1.7 million-square-foot South Terminal should be open by Aug. 29, officials say. The terminal, 10 years in the making, will contain Concourses H and J, three security checkpoints, 19 airlines, 150 ticket counters, 30 gates, 61 food and retail outlets and decor by local artists.

The terminal's greatest feature will be its accommodation of international flights, said Max Fajardo, deputy director of operations and maintenance for the Miami-Dade Aviation Department. All gates on Concourse J will be international, and only a few gates on Concourse H will remain domestic, he said.

A new federal inspection service area will be able to process 2,000 international passengers an hour, and a corridor ties Concourse J to Concourse H, which means international passengers can catch connecting flights without re-entering a security checkpoint, Mr. Fajardo said.

The terminal "has all of the latest technology in it, but what makes it unique in terms of facilities is its sheer size," Mr. Fajardo said. "It's our model for future terminals. It has higher ceilings, higher quality concessions and more room for passengers, all of the amenities one could want."

The baggage facility, which will allow all baggage to be processed by the Transportation Security Administration behind the ticket counter, will benefit both the passenger and airline, he said.

"As a passenger, you don't have anything to do with it after you drop it off," Mr. Fajardo said. "It allows for faster processing of the baggage, and if there is a problem, it's identified quicker."

Having three entry checkpoints will also allow for speedy traveling, he said.

The terminal, when fully operational, will handle 25% of Miami International Airport's total traffic. Airport spokesman Greg Chin said the airport processed 32.5 million passengers last year.

The terminal's 1,000-foot connection corridor will include such retail shops as Sunglass Hut, Palm One, Taxco Sterling, Perry Ellis, Hugo Boss, Cubavera, 10 Minute Manicure, Brookstone and Navarro Discount Pharmacy.

Food sellers will include Famiglia Pizzeria, Island Chicken-N-Grill, McDonald's, Gilbert's News Café and Sweet Factory, according to Mr. Chin. All vendors will not be open when the terminal opens later this month. They will be "built out as more of the 19 airlines are introduced," Mr. Chin said.

Additionally, the terminal will contain a new cruise and tour bus station.

Concourse J will also include a gate that can accommodate the new Airbus A380, a double-deck, 525-passenger airliner manufactured by the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company. The A380's full economy-class design can accommodate up to 853 passengers.

Mr. Fajardo said it would take approximately 18 months to modify the gate to accommodate the A380, so the airport needs a "two-year head start" and a commitment from an airline before proceeding. Both Air France and Lufthansa have expressed interest in flying the A380 into Miami International.

Lufthansa spokeswoman Jennifer Urbaniak said the airline is considering Miami among other possibilities. "Miami is certainly one possibility," she said. "Other cities we are studying include New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, DC.Ý We'll take delivery of our first A380 in 2009 but are yet to decide where this first plane will operate to. Key hubs in North America and Asia are the priorities."
Air France did not respond to inquiries.

LVTMB

RE: South Terminal/Concourse J - MIA - Opening Aug. 29

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 am

Will all international carriers move to concourse J? Or will BA, LA/4M and VS stay at concourse A?. I was thinking that if so, we spotters might see a shift in runway preference when MIA operating towards the east. 9 or 12 rather than the 8s.

MB

Anetter123
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting LVTMB (Reply 1):
Will all international carriers move to concourse J? Or will BA, LA/4M and VS stay at concourse A?. I was thinking that if so, we spotters might see a shift in runway preference when MIA operating towards the east. 9 or 12 rather than the 8s.

Well, concourse A is closing down so they can speed up the completion of the North Terminal. So airlines such as LAN, (and possibly TAM, not sure) for instance are moving to Concourse J. Here are the ones I'm pretty sure will move over to J.

United, USAirways, Continental, Delta, LAN, Lufthansa, SWISS, Alitalia, Air France, Air Canada, Virgin Atlantic, Avianca and I believe TAM

The ones I'm uncertain about whether they will be at F/G or H/J are

Caribbean Airlines, COPA, EL AL, Bahamasair, Air Jamaica, Mexicana, Aeromexico, TACA, LTU, Martinair, Aeropostal, Cayman Airways, Eurofly, Santa Barbara Airlines, Aerolineas Argentinas, Avior, Airtran, Sun Country.

Northwest will indeed stay at G, per MAH4564 that mentioned this in another post related to this topic.

ontime

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 am

I don't understand the reference to international passengers being able to catch domestic flights without reclearing security. I thought once you had access to your luggage (which you would need at Customs) then you had access to items which might not be permitted as carry-on and so reclearing security was required. Am I wrong?

phatfarmlines

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:31 pm

Quoting Ontime (Reply 3):
I don't understand the reference to international passengers being able to catch domestic flights without reclearing security. I thought once you had access to your luggage (which you would need at Customs) then you had access to items which might not be permitted as carry-on and so reclearing security was required. Am I wrong?

Totally agree here. I'm sure the deputy director of ops and maintenance would not be misunderstood, so I think he meant that pax would not have to exit the concourse in order to reclear security, but rather, go to the security screening after the FIS if you are on a connecting flight in H/J.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting Anetter123 (Reply 2):
Here are the ones I'm pretty sure will move over to J.

United, USAirways, Continental, Delta,

I haven't heard that DL would move from H to J although I wouldn't mind it.

greggarious

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Bam! MIA-IAD on 28 August with United Express! I'm thrilled about checking out Terminal J early on, especially since it's an unforseen perk of flying United for once instead of AA. Trip report to follow for sure...  goodvibes 

Quoting LVTMB (Reply 1):
9 or 12 rather than the 8s.

Wouldn't that be nice? Particularly 12 if that were the case!

DB777

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Delta is not moving to J - where do people dream this stuff up? If you don't know for sure don't write it. I'm not sure this is still true but I thought Continental was moving to H from G, occupying gates vacated by US. That could have been changed since I got the information a while back.

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

DB777

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 6):
Bam! MIA-IAD on 28 August with United Express!

Sounds like you'll be checking out old Concourse F if you're flying on the 28th. J opens on the 29th.

Don

zippyjet

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting Anetter123 (Thread starter):
The terminal, 10 years in the making, will contain Concourses H and J, three security checkpoints, 19 airlines, 150 ticket counters, 30 gates, 61 food and retail outlets and decor by local artists.

Exactly a year ago I deplaned from a US flight from CLT in H concourse. H is currently the province of DL, US, CO to name a few domestic carriers. I also thought the new J concourse was for Star Alliance carriers. And, the ticketing and security areas for H concourse date back to the early 60s when it opened several years after the main 1959 terminal. H was totally redone in the 90s. So, if H and J will be mainly international flights, where will US and DL go for their domestic flights?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

greggarious

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting DB777 (Reply 8):
if you're flying on the 28th. J opens on the 29th.

Bloody hell... I didn't catch that. Pity...

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 9):
H is currently the province of DL, US, CO to name a few domestic carriers

CO is still relegated to the ancient concourse G. They have never been on H but I hear that they and NW may join DL on H once US leaves.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 5):
Quoting Anetter123 (Reply 2):
Here are the ones I'm pretty sure will move over to J.

United, USAirways, Continental, Delta,

I haven't heard that DL would move from H to J although I wouldn't mind it.

Delta (and most of SkyTeam) is staying at Concourse H. Delta is building a new Crown Room Club there that opens in December. They are putting a lot of money into it, and it is supposed to be very, very nice.
a.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
Delta is building a new Crown Room Club there that opens in December.

I visited DL's CRC in MIA last week and it is a tad tired and outdated. I heard about the new CRC but I can't figure out where it will be as I didn't see any "pardon our dust" construction signs. Any ideas? Possibly on the upper level with great views?

DB777

RE: South Terminal/Concourse J - MIA - Opening Aug

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:03 am

Folks should understand that not everything happens at the same time if the South Terminal opens on the 29th or shortly thereafter. The new Delta ticket counter is supposed to open in the South Terminal on the 29th at the time of this writing. Other airlines will open ticket counters in the South Terminal shortly thereafter.

However, airline aircraft moves to gates on H and J are scheduled and staggered over time between the first part of September and the end of October.

When most of the moves are done by the end of October, you'll see CO, AM, AF, CM, AZ and AF on Concourse H in addition to DL. NW and FL will be lonely on Concourse G with AC and CO moving off?

By the end of October, on Concourse J you'll see UA, US, AC, BW, LA, LP, TA, AV, JJ, AR, LY, LT, LR, LH, LX and maybe one or two others.

Don

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:10 am

I cant wait to see the lower roadway in MIA when they open the terminal. It is absolute choas now, wait until an A380 comes to town along with a few other flights.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting DB777 (Reply 14):

By the end of October, on Concourse J you'll see UA, US, AC, BW, LA, LP, TA, AV, JJ, AR, LY, LT, LR, LH, LX and maybe one or two others.

4M and XL will be at J, too.

NW and FL will be lonely on Concourse G

Why is NW not moving to H with the rest of SkyTeam? I find it odd. Also, where is Alaska Airlines going to be? I heard they are going to go to D.
a.

SilentObserver

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:30 am

on UA sept 17-20th ORD-MIA-ORD any idea on if they will have moved?

DB777

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 16):
Why is NW not moving to H with the rest of SkyTeam? I find it odd.

I agree but I suppose they felt the benefits weren't there compared to the costs involved with the move.

4M and XL will be at J, too.

Correct, I was in a rush to get to a doc appointment and overlooked those in my haste.

where is Alaska Airlines going to be? I heard they are going to go to D.

That could be, I don't know for sure right now.

Quoting SilentObserver (Reply 17):
on UA sept 17-20th ORD-MIA-ORD any idea on if they will have moved?

They should be on J a few days before your arrival at MIA.

Don

MAH4546

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting DB777 (Reply 18):
Why is NW not moving to H with the rest of SkyTeam? I find it odd.

I agree but I suppose they felt the benefits weren't there compared to the costs involved with the move.

I'm willing to bet they will be at H by spring.

Quoting DB777 (Reply 18):
where is Alaska Airlines going to be? I heard they are going to go to D.

That could be, I don't know for sure right now.

It would be the most logical move, considering they only have one daily flight and a strong partnership with American.
a.

DB777

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
I'm willing to bet they will be at H by spring.

You're on if you're talking spring of 2008 and not 2010. How about a case of Heineken for the wager if I win and the equivalent booze price-wise if you win?

Don

zippyjet

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 pm

NW and FL will be lonely on Concourse G

If that's the case, I hope we pick up some additional gates. As of now we have a permanent gate G-2. We use G-4 but, I'm not sure if we have it set up for us or, we just borrow it. I'll let you all know when I fly home from MIA via ATL on August 27 of course Murphy's law 2 days before J opens. Maybe I can flash my BWI badge and have my way if there are hot female security/MIA staff in the J area and get a sneak peak. OK, so I'm dreaming a wee bit.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

adriaticus

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:24 pm

From the Miami-Dade Aviation Department:

I am happy to report that this morning at 4:30 am we opened up the first portion of the South Terminal Building to the public. Delta Airlines has moved into the new ticket counters and is officially the first airline to operate from this new facility. Many of us were here to witness the event. Today is a momentous day in the history of MIA as this long-awaited facility will change the way the traveling public will perceive our airport. This new state-of-the-art facility will contain quality shopping, an abundance of art, and many other amenities and conveniences not currently available in the existing terminal building. The sheer size of the facility will amaze even the most ardent critics of this airport. This is a world class facility that we should all be proud of and marks a new beginning for MDAD and the County at large. The new cruise passengers’ bus station will start service on Friday August 31, which will be a major convenience for the airlines and especially our passengers.

I would like to thank everyone involved in this effort that assisted me in getting us where we needed to be today. I want to thank the members of the DAC South Terminal team and HNTB, including the A/E’s of record that assisted throughout this process and will continue to do so till we wrap it up. I also want to thank POJV and their sub-contractors for their efforts in getting this building ready for occupancy. Special thanks go out to the entire MDAD family, you know who you are and will be individually recognized for your efforts including the Building and Fire Dept. inspectors, plan reviewers and management.

There is more to come as we open up the remainder of the Terminal and Concourse J in the coming weeks. The Director and I want to thank all of you and we look forward to everyone’s continued support in making MIA the world class airport it deserves to be.

Max Fajardo, E.I.

Deputy Aviation Director
Miami-Dade Aviation Department

www.miami-airport.com
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos