Glom
Topic Author

Hippies Attack Biggin Hill

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 pm

It was on the wireless analogue sound box. Hippies attacked Biggin Hill chaining themselves to the gates of the terminal. The police then came along and arrested them for aggravated trespassing. The hippies justified themselves by saying Biggin hosts a lot of business flights. That actually makes more sense than targetting LHR.

Lumberton

RE: Hippies Attack Biggin Hill

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 am

Such is your contempt for these people that you call them "hippies"?  Big grin
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Glom
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 1):
Such is your contempt for these people that you call them "hippies"?

I can't get over the photo of that girl used to represent the Climate Camp at LHR. She would be very pretty but for the fact that she looks like she's been sleeping in a rabbit hole for the past month.

tjwgrr

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:03 am

Shoot, I was hoping to read a thread titled "A-Netters attack Hippies at Biggin Hill"  fight 
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Lumberton

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:18 am

Git 'em!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6949056.stm

Quote:
Climate change protesters who chained themselves to the gates of a private airport have been arrested.
Police said 10 demonstrators at Biggin Hill Airport, in south London, were being held under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act.
The group said they were voicing their opposition to the growth in the number of people using private jets.
They blocked the passenger entrance, but an airport spokesman said flights had been running on schedule.
At least six people had to be cut free by police before being arrested.

Superfly

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:15 am

I don't know what's funnier. The hippies protesting global warming at an airport, Lumberton's "Git 'em!" response or Glom claiming that protested has the possibility of being "pretty".  Wow!

You are aware that is a man, right?

Just how much is business jet travel causing the polar ice caps to melt?
Bring back the Concorde

mhodgson

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Glom claiming that protested has the possibility of being "pretty".

It isn't the same article- it is an earlier one from the BBC from the weekend, when the LHR Climate Camp started.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

allrite

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:45 am

Time to build a Hippy Digger?  Smile
I like artificial banana essence!

Superfly

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 6):
It isn't the same article- it is an earlier one from the BBC from the weekend, when the LHR Climate Camp started.

Thanks.  sigh 
Bring back the Concorde

kaitak

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:14 am

Apparently one woman glued herself to the Dept of Transport today!

Police have arrested and charged her, but I wonder if they can make it stick?

usair320

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:36 am

Wow!!! These losers ahve way to much time on their hands.

gooner

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:59 am

I hope none of these work-shy,dole scrounging low lifes are at MAN on Aug 26th trying to prevent me going on my well earned annual holiday.As I will not be responsible for my actions

rampart

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 10):

No, they simply choose to apply their spare time to causes they feel are important, rather than spending an afternoon hitting the refresh button on A.net looking for the latest update on Midwest Express or Y3.  Smile

-Rampart

Superfly

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 10):

Like Tommy Shaw of Styx?  Wink

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 9):
Apparently one woman glued herself to the Dept of Transport today!

Police have arrested and charged her, but I wonder if they can make it stick?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
The charges or her body?
This is just all to funny!
The protesters, their organization and the replys in this thread all seem like a big joke.

http://www.uhc-collective.org.uk/uploads/other_files/climate_camp_poster.jpg

Off topic;
Why didn't they just name this airport Benny Hill instead of Biggin Hill?
They sounds so close in name and it is England.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Lumberton

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:57 pm

The hippie offensive appears to be spreading:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...l?xml=/news/2007/08/20/nbaa220.xml

Quote:
Climate change campaigners have fanned out their blockade outside the offices of the Heathrow operator BAA to new locations - including the headquarters of BP in London and Sizewell B nuclear power station.

Edit: Or should I say the "offensive hippies"?

[Edited 2007-08-20 15:59:05]

vv701

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 am

The Telegraph is reporting a boom in Biz Jet flights that it claims is a direct result of these protests. Here is a link tio their article 'Heathrow camp fuels boom in private jet travel':

http://telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jht...=/news/2007/08/17/nheathrow117.xml

Arcrftlvr

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Reminds me of that South Park episode...pretty soon, it will evolve into a full-on drum circle...Damn hippies. 'What happened to the tunez, man...'

mandala499

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:06 am

OK... what do these "offensive hippies" want?
Let's just say...
1. We close LHR... Let's just expand LGW and STN and heck, even Lydd/London Ashford... LOL
2. Close Sizewell B and other nuclear power plants... and...

2a. Go to fossil fuels again? *oh sorry, they chained themselves to the BP office too...*
2b. Go to alternative energy generation...

So, what will you use?
Let's just use the damn wind farms!... stack a thousand of them at once...
So, the vibrations from those drives small animals away etcetcetc... *would they?*
And then the local ecosystem starts to topple... affecting the food chain... And then Greenpeace will switch sides on this matter! LOL If the UK still exist by then!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

rfields5421

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Glom (Thread starter):
Hippies attacked Biggin Hill chaining themselves to the gates

Any of them under age 50 are not hippies.

Sorry children - but you don't have the cojones to earn the title or to earn the right to label others with it.

Glom
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:23 am

Superfly, that one from the Simpsons is stupid. A nuclear power station doesn't cause friggin global warming.

flydreamliner

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 3):
Shoot, I was hoping to read a thread titled "A-Netters attack Hippies at Biggin Hill"

that would be an appropriate response. i would like it if all of these enviro-terrorist protesters were black-listed from flying commercial aviation and purchasing gasoline for automobiles.

Quoting Glom (Reply 19):
Superfly, that one from the Simpsons is stupid. A nuclear power station doesn't cause friggin global warming.

Nope, it's a solution to it. It's emmissions free. Every nuclear power station is less coal being burned. I can only imagine if you totalled all of the deaths and health issues caused by emmissions from coal plants world wide, it'd be orders of magnitude worse than what nuclear power has caused.

hippies want us to live in a world without electricity, transportation, much of anything else. hell, even horses produce emmissions.

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 18):
Sorry children - but you don't have the cojones to earn the title or to earn the right to label others with it.

Well university is awfully full of people who sure think they are hippies. call them hippy wannabe's if you please, the crux of it is all the same. they're just damned annoying, mostly.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

drexotica

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:18 am

Any of them under age 50 are not hippies.

Hmmm.

Back at Berkeley in the early/mid 80s, we usually termed such people dirtbags (though the squatters at People's Park were refered to as hippies in defference to their aged patheticness).

Dirtbags works for me.

"Earn the right to label others with it"??!!
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

ual777

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:21 am

Is it because they haven't done enough drugs or take too many showers?

Quoting DrExotica (Reply 21):

Hmmm.

Back at Berkeley in the early/mid 80s, we usually termed such people dirtbags (though the squatters at People's Park were refered to as hippies in defference to their aged patheticness).

Dirtbags works for me.

"Earn the right to label others with it"??!!

I prefer the term losers.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Superfly

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:37 am

Just out of couriosity. Is the increase in private jet travel hurting sales of first-class service?
Is the increase in business jet travel the reason some airlines are getting rid of first-class?
In defense of these protesters, perhaps if these private jet users went back to first class, that could help the airlines increase revenue due to the fact that they make the higest profit margin from first class ticket sales.
In-directly these Climate Camp people could boost first-class ticket sales.
What do you think?

Quoting DrExotica (Reply 21):

They're still there in 2007.
Bring back the Concorde

rampart

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:27 am

That's right, everyone. Hurl insults and pejoratives at people who have a viewpoint different from yours. That's the intelligent way to understand conflicts and resolve problems.

There are former hippies, activists, who could now buy and sell your neighborhood, or serve high political offices. No doubt some of these young protesters, er, "losers", will find equal success some day.

-Rampart

Glom
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting Rampart (Reply 24):
There are former hippies, activists, who could now buy and sell your neighborhood, or serve high political offices.

Well they do say you become more right wing as you get older.

I remember Red Dwarf III 'Timeslides' when the gang went back to when Lister was a teenager in Liverpool with a punk rock band. Lister described one of his buddies as marxist, nihilist, anarchist who then got a job with a big insurance company and got his own parking space.

rampart

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Glom (Reply 25):
Well they do say you become more right wing as you get older.

I remember Red Dwarf III 'Timeslides' when the gang went back to when Lister was a teenager in Liverpool with a punk rock band. Lister described one of his buddies as marxist, nihilist, anarchist who then got a job with a big insurance company and got his own parking space.

LOL!

I can think of a few real-world millionaire/billionaire political exceptions here, but that's another forum.

Also reminds me of a pretty good Robert Redford-Ben Kingsley-Sidney Poitier-Dan Ackroyd-River Phoenix-James Earl Jones movie, "Sneakers". Redford and Kingsley's characters where radical anarchist computer hackers in college, one went all corporate and "evil", another worked for the government but was disenchanted.

But now I've veered far off course from this thread. Oh well, it was veered from the start.

-Rampart

ikramerica

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 4):
Climate change protesters

Might as well be "sunrise" protesters, since the climate is changing whether we are the cause or not, so to protest against someone that is going to happen no matter what is kind of insane...  Wink

Quoting VV701 (Reply 15):
The Telegraph is reporting a boom in Biz Jet flights that it claims is a direct result of these protests. Here is a link tio their article 'Heathrow camp fuels boom in private jet travel'

Sounds like a Rush Limbaugh style response to the protest. That loudmouth is always trying to create a counter protest movement, and they are usually pretty funny. Way back in the early days (late 80s), the environmentalists had "National Meat Out" day here in the USA, before they got CO2 obsessed that is. That was to promote vegetarianism. The counter protest (the non-offensive one involving exposure) was to go out and eat as much meat as you can on that day. My Dad was an early Rush listener, so he would take me out that day to get a hamburger or steak. It was a nice family bonding day. My guess is the private jet owners are doing the same kind of thing, to show they will not be bullied.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos