Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

md90fan
Topic Author

Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 19

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:06 am

You guys know the rules  old  cool 
Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 18 (by MD90fan Jul 28 2007 in Civil Aviation)#1 Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 17 (2.0) (by BWIA 772 Jul 3 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 16 (by MD90fan May 28 2007 in Civil Aviation) 15 Up!-Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation (by MD90fan May 11 2007 in Civil Aviation) Caribbean/Caribe/Caraïbes Aviation Part 14 (by MD90fan Apr 28 2007 in Civil Aviation)

News!

• 7I will start a weekly Curacao-Manaus flight with the MD-83, where in cooperation with Brazilian airline TAF passengers can connect to Brazilian markets.  highfive 
  • 7I also plans to provide service to MIA this winter.  checkmark 
  • AA is in talks to add 2x weekly service between Miami and FDF and PTP this winter.  checkmark 
  • AA will reduce JFK-Santiago, DR and temporarily down-gauge MIA-BGI.  checkmark 
  • AE will start SLU-BGI 05SEPT07.  checkmark 
  • AE will replace the 757 on SJU-AUA with an ATR-72.  checkmark 
  • AC does a fairly large expansion in the Caribbean with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver to Santa Clara, Cuba; Ottawa-Montego Bay and Montreal-Provodenciales.  dopey 
  • Bahamasair fleet under review.  checkmark 
  • Bahamian skies unsafe?  worried   Embarrassment
  • Caribbean Airline's acquisition of Tobago Express has been given the green light.  dollarsign 
  • Caribbean Sun will rise from the ashes with a Boeing 737-400 and new livery  box 
  • Continental Airlines will add a nd daily flight on it's EWR-SDQ route (11:59PM departure).  checkeredflag 
  • Copa will launch 4x weekly service between PTY-POS starting 15DEC07.  highfive 
  • Cubana Cargo has taken delivery of it's first Tu-204F (CU-1700).  checkmark 
  • Delta will not resume service to Puerto Plata, DR and will suspend North Eleuthera, Bahamas.  cry 
  • Jamaica may have another majour airport.  champagne 
  • JM is acquiring 1x Airbus A319 to provide a shuttle service between MBJ and KIN.  checkmark 
  • JM is reporting early success on it's BGI-FLL service.  checkmark 
  • JetBlue will provide holiday shuttle service between Boston and Santiago, DR.  present 
  • KX has dropped IAH after 30 years of service, and will up Kingston to 14 weekly.  brokenheart 
  • LTU will begin 1x weekly between DUS and MUC to Aruba.  checkmark 
  • POS: hole in the runway? Airport closed?  Embarrassment
  • Spirit has announced a new 1x weekly FLL-Aruba service starting 10NOV07.  checkmark 

praise 
http://i5.tinypic.com/2na36gz.gif
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1318/687116044_d1ec3c3485_o.jpg

Regards,
MD90fan  wave 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

MAH4546

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part 19

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:15 am

There is talk that American Eagle is going to start talking to a bunch of resorts/islands within the ATRs range from Miami. They are looking to get better use of their ATR-72 fleet out of Miami, and are looking at what kind of deals they can get. I have not heard anything in terms of destinations, but it's easy to speculate islands like Grand Turk, North Eleuthera, and Governor's Harbour are possibilities. Also, Miami-Antigua rumours are back. Though I wouldn't put much weight on them. Talk of MIA-ANU returning surfaces every August!
a.

fpofllflyboi

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):
but it's easy to speculate islands like Grand Turk

How long would that flight be? Doesn't AA send their 738's to PLS 2 or 3x daily?

[Edited 2007-08-18 00:41:26]

stxbohn

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:46 pm

So, a little Hurricane Dean update. I still have power, Dish, and internet. We've barely seen any rain, had some gusty winds but nothing what I would have expcted. I'm guessing we'll see some backside storms as I sleep tonight and tomorrow. STX is quiet and most flights went on as planned today for the few that we have...

Fellow A-netters in Jamaica, Caymons, Yucatan Penninsula - get off your rocks or hole up the best that you can. Potential for a Cat 5 looks to be extremely high. Dean gained a lot of strength in the past 24 and the pressure keeps dropping.

Back to the topic...as I've now found the Dean thread...

We're going into the off season and loosing some of what little service we normally get till the people come back say November.

AA 788/1290 To/From MIA on T,Th,F,S,Su now come mid-Sept on B738s
AA Eagle to SJU - didn't check it, they'll still fly several
DL to Atl on Saturday only on MD-88 still (no downsizing on plane yet)
US Airways's has dropped it's weekly to CLT

Later,

Brooks

MAH4546

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting Fpofllflyboi (Reply 2):

How long would that flight be? Doesn't AA send their 738's to PLS 2 or 3x daily?

AA flies MIA-PLS 2x daily with 757s. Sometimes they switch the schedule to 3x with 738s.

Useless fact: MIA-PLS is one of the bet yielding international routes in AA's entire network.

MIA-GDT would be roughly a two hour flight, about the same as MIA-SAV. GDT does currently have service to Fort Lauderdale on Spirit, but no flights to Miami.
a.

A388

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
JM is acquiring 1x Airbus A319 to provide a shuttle service between MBJ and KIN.

I thaught this was only a rumor as I have not seen any confirmation that this will actually happen. Using an A319 for shuttle flights between MBJ and KIN indeed is overkill as BWIA772 already stated in the previous thread. Why would JM do this? It is a waste of the aircraft's capacity and capability of the A319 if it will only be used for these very short flights. Why don't they get regional jets for these shuttle flights? Are they too expensive even if JM needs to train the crew for the type? Even on the longer term?

A388

2travel2know

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Copa will launch 4x weekly service between PTY-POS starting 15DEC07.

Lets see if CM doesn't back-up again.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

hummingbird

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 5):
I thaught this was only a rumor as I have not seen any confirmation that this will actually happen. Using an A319 for shuttle flights between MBJ and KIN indeed is overkill as BWIA772 already stated in the previous thread. Why would JM do this? It is a waste of the aircraft's capacity and capability of the A319 if it will only be used for these very short flights. Why don't they get regional jets for these shuttle flights? Are they too expensive even if JM needs to train the crew for the type? Even on the longer term?

A388

Allow me to provide some information.
1. JM operation wise has two hubs MBJ and KIN. With flights connecting MBJ and KIN there is unwarranted use of aircraft to operate this leg. With the introduction of the A319, all flights between MBJ and KIN will be operated with this aircraft. This will increase aircraft utilisation and greatly reduce delays.

2.Crew Cost. It may seem simple, but operating these legs are additional cost when you factor crew. Most KIN based crews operate flights that are mainly routed through MBJ. The A319 will greatly reduce the need for crews to commute to the hubs. This is one reason the London flight was a big overhead. If there were a delay exiting LHR, a new crew would be needed to take the aircraft to KIN.

3. Aircraft utilisation. There will be a point to point use of aircraft, eg aircraft99 is routed BWI-MBJ-GCM-KIN-MBJ-ORD. With the A319 the KIN-MBJ will be eliminated.

4. Training cost will be minimal due to commonality with the A320/A321.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

skyyblue

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:00 pm

How do you all think this new B6 service will do? Boston- Santiago, D.R.? Hopefully they will find a niche market and it will be profitable. In 2008 expect more Dominican expansion and hopefully new Caribbean stations by the winter.

trintocan

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:13 pm

So, what has happened to the JM Dash-8's? Why do they not use those on the KIN - MBJ shuttle? The reason I ask is that over in T&T BW struggled for several years to work the POS - TAB route on an all-jet basis - this started in 1986 when it retired the Avros HS-748s and let DC-9s take the service, followed by the MD80s from 1990 to 1993 after the DC-9s similarly left the fleet. The frequencies fell from about 15 daily flights to 10 and later as few as 5 per day with complaints becoming legion. The thing is the use of a jet of that size on a short sector is very costly and inefficient.

It is true that as a single island the internal links in Jamaica are not as overwhelmingly critical as they are in the archipelagic state of T&T but they are still vital due to the long and difficult drive between the two cities. I just wonder whether a shuttle with Dash-8s or similar would be more effective.

Let us hope that the Hurricane passes everybody by with little or no effect.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 7):
This will increase aircraft utilisation and greatly reduce delays.

If this aircraft goes technical and you only operate one aircraft how can it greatly reduce delays. If it is on the ground due to some technical issues or regular maintenance, than your capacity on that route is reduced by 100% meaning all capacity. Operating only one aircraft is never a good option.

Crew Cost. It may seem simple, but operating these legs are additional cost when you factor crew. Most KIN based crews operate flights that are mainly routed through MBJ. The A319 will greatly reduce the need for crews to commute to the hubs.

Isn't it a matter of better crew planning to use your available crew more efficiently, thereby more cost efficiently? I don't see how using an aircraft as shuttle between two cities to carry crews will lower crew costs. If the flights are full there is not even room to carry the JM crew between MBJ and KIN. How will JM solve this during high season?

Aircraft utilisation. There will be a point to point use of aircraft, eg aircraft99 is routed BWI-MBJ-GCM-KIN-MBJ-ORD. With the A319 the KIN-MBJ will be eliminated.

Again this is a matter of better fleet planning/management and crew planning to optimize operations.

Training cost will be minimal due to commonality with the A320/A321.

I totally agree with you here Big grin

Also, wouldn't the A319 be well suited for JM's thinner international routes within the Caribbean and/or North America?

A388

aa1818

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 6):
Lets see if CM doesn't back-up again.

Let's hope not. This time, the press has made sure it's well publicized, and the few business people that I have spoken to about it all know about it and intend on making full use of it. Panama is seen not only as a fantastic business destination, but as a much better transit point than Miami for Trinis (who need US visas), and also as a holiday destination. I have been told numerous times by people all over the world- that I MUST go see the Panama Canal and see the Free Trade Zone for shopping. I think the route will be a huge success. And this time I don't think CM will back-up as it is now loaded into their system etc etc.

Allow me to provide some information.

I understand what you're saying, but we're not arguing that JM should stick to the current routings etc, what we're arguing is that the A319 is not the right plane for the job. Surely running a prop like a Dash8-400 or something on the route makes more economic sense. Also how many flights a day will the A319 make?? Perhaps the Dash8 will offer greater flexibility. JM has also had experience with Dash8's in the past so training shouldn't too much of an issue.

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 9):
It is true that as a single island the internal links in Jamaica are not as overwhelmingly critical as they are in the archipelagic state of T&T but they are still vital due to the long and difficult drive between the two cities. I just wonder whether a shuttle with Dash-8s or similar would be more effective.

Agreed!

Quoting A388 (Reply 10):
Also, wouldn't the A319 be well suited for JM's thinner international routes within the Caribbean and/or North America?

but still the a/c seems overkill for the route. Is there really that much traffic to warrant the A319? How much will Jm really save on crew training etc- is the amount enough to offset the fuel costs and operational long term costs of running a long-reach jet on a very very short route??

Seems JM should look at 'right-sizing' their fleet!!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

BWIA 772

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 11):

Let's hope not. This time, the press has made sure it's well publicized, and the few business people that I have spoken to about it all know about it and intend on making full use of it.

I hope that CM does fly the route and that it is successful. I for one want to visit the Panama, I have heard wonderful things about the country and I want to see the Canal as my great grandparents were part of those who left the Caribbean to build it.

Perhaps the Dash8 will offer greater flexibility. JM has also had experience with Dash8's in the past so training shouldn't too much of an issue.

The point on training is only valid if they are members of the JM current cabin and flight crews who use to fly the Dash 8s are still working with JM. If most or all of them have left then in terms of training you are basically doing training to introduce a new fleet type.

Also how many flights a day will the A319 make??

Five to six round trips a day see the following link.

[Edited 2007-08-18 20:11:58]
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 am

So Air Jamaica Express is dead then! Who is flying the routes to Boscobel, Ken Jones (Port Antonio) and Negril then? Are these airports still active? It would seem strange not to have services to these airports and yet consider opening an altogether new airport in Jamaica.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

albird87

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 5):

Well i presume like everyone else has said that it will be rotated in and out to other places during the day as well.

Well GCM is a busy place today with extra flights all coming in to help people get off the island who can. KX has added a lot of flights and AA and US have added one more flight each out of here. GCM airport is chaos at the moment with no one being allowed in till there flight is being called for checkin and then boarding.... KX ask that your there 3 hours in advance and checkin closes 60 minutes before departure.... so today you stand outside in the heat for an hour if your on KX and then finally get a chance to check in.
Its been busy as there have been nonstop arrivals and departures of private charters getting people off and also the commerical flights coming and going....
Well this will be my last post for a while as I get ready to shut this place up and get ready for the ride..... see you guys on the other side...

2travel2know

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:39 am

1. JM operation wise has two hubs MBJ and KIN. With flights connecting MBJ and KIN there is unwarranted use of aircraft to operate this leg. With the introduction of the A319, all flights between MBJ and KIN will be operated with this aircraft. This will increase aircraft utilisation and greatly reduce delays.

There'll be a day JM will be forced to chose one hub and one focus airport between MBJ and KIN in order to survive.

A388

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:20 am

I understand what you're saying, but we're not arguing that JM should stick to the current routings etc, what we're arguing is that the A319 is not the right plane for the job.

That is exactly my point. The A319 seems like overkill on such short shuttle flights. You will not make full use of the aircraft's capabilities on a MBJ-KIN shuttle route. With the Dash-8 300 or 400 you can offer greater flexibility and more attractive frequencies at lower costs compared to the much larger A319.

Seems JM should look at 'right-sizing' their fleet!!!

Agreed Big grin

A388

beeweel15

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Anyone from Trinidad know how Constellation is doing from Trinidad. They have been having some serious delays and problems not caused by to runway problems and hurricane Dean.

caribbean484

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 17):
Anyone from Trinidad know how Constellation is doing from Trinidad. They have been having some serious delays and problems not caused by to runway problems and hurricane Dean.

Well we are not sure yet. They will be offering 4 weekly flights this fall to JFK, so to is Travelspan.This is a downgrade of the 6 weekly flights these two operate each. Caribbean Airlines will keep mounting the pressure on them since they will be keep their current JFK/YYZ summer schedule till winter and offer lower fares with it.
All ah we is one family

hummingbird

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 10):
Isn't it a matter of better crew planning to use your available crew more efficiently, thereby more cost efficiently? I don't see how using an aircraft as shuttle between two cities to carry crews will lower crew costs. If the flights are full there is not even room to carry the JM crew between MBJ and KIN. How will JM solve this during high season?

Before Mr Stewart started JM's hub in 1995. There was one crew base- KIN, with expansion he opened a MBJ base. When the Government bought the company over 100FA's were laid off, with the majority coming from MBJ. Currently the KIN base is twice the size of the MBJ base. In Mr Conway's cost cutting plan, crew commutting and layovers will be reduced. Most flights wil be rescheduled, so as to allow the crew to RON.

but still the a/c seems overkill for the route. Is there really that much traffic to warrant the A319? How much will Jm really save on crew training etc- is the amount enough to offset the fuel costs and operational long term costs of running a long-reach jet on a very very short route??

For pilots its cockpit commonality. For Cabin Crew at least 2 days for familiarisation and stowage. With an all economy config it will be enough to accommodate the "bags and boxes".

. JM has also had experience with Dash8's in the past so training shouldn't too much

Air Jamaica Express was the carrier that operated the Dash-8. They were mainly used on the MBJ-KTP route alongside other Caribbean destinations. Tinson Airport, last I heard, is about to be closed.

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 13):
So Air Jamaica Express is dead then! Who is flying the routes to Boscobel, Ken Jones (Port Antonio) and Negril then? Are these airports still active? It would seem strange not to have services to these airports and yet consider opening an altogether new airport in Jamaica.

There are private carriers, but Airlink http://www.intlairlink.com/ is the monopilist on the market.

Quoting A388 (Reply 16):
That is exactly my point. The A319 seems like overkill on such short shuttle flights. You will not make full use of the aircraft's capabilities on a MBJ-KIN shuttle route. With the Dash-8 300 or 400 you can offer greater flexibility and more attractive frequencies at lower costs compared to the much larger A319.

The A319 is the only aircraft that is suitable for this route. I suggest a study of JM's hub for clarity. The morning hub supports outbound flights to MIA, FLL, EWR,BGI, GCM, BON, NAS, MCO and CUR. Inbound flights from PHL, BWI, ORD, ATL and JFK all offer connection to KIN. I doubt the Dash-8 can handle such operations. In the long term connection will be made with Virgin's flight from London. The A319 may seem like an overkill, but it suits JM's hub system based on capacity and efficiency. The main focus is to reduce the number of flights between both hubs with the current fleet. With the introduction of the 757, I assume operating this aircraft on this route would be an overkill.

I except an announcement

A388

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 19):
The A319 is the only aircraft that is suitable for this route. I suggest a study of JM's hub for clarity. The morning hub supports outbound flights to MIA, FLL, EWR,BGI, GCM, BON, NAS, MCO and CUR. Inbound flights from PHL, BWI, ORD, ATL and JFK all offer connection to KIN. I doubt the Dash-8 can handle such operations. In the long term connection will be made with Virgin's flight from London. The A319 may seem like an overkill, but it suits JM's hub system based on capacity and efficiency. The main focus is to reduce the number of flights between both hubs with the current fleet. With the introduction of the 757, I assume operating this aircraft on this route would be an overkill.

I except an announcement

The morning hub support you mention, of course the Dash-8 (or any other regional aircraft) can handle, that is what you call the hub-and-spoke philosophy. How do you think all the major airlines in the U.S. operate from their big hubs which are like 7 times bigger than JM's hub or more. They also use smaller regional aircraft to support and feed their major hubs. And like I said, operating one aircraft (in this case the A319) is just not going to help you in any way which is logical. Once the aircraft is on the ground due to technical reasons or regular maintenance you have no other aircraft for the routes the A319 flies other than the A320. In this case you might as well stick to the A320. Also if you will operate the A319 in an all economy class lay-out you will come very close to the A320 in terms of seat capacity (150 seats as per their website). So in this case again the A319 makes no sense as you might as well stick with the A320 which they already operate.

As I mentioned before it all comes down to better crew and fleet management to optimize operations.

A388

par13del

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Regarding JM's use or pending use of the A319, is this the result of union negotiations or management not wanting to have another sub-set of crew? If they are talking about "right sizing" their fleet and more efficiency between hubs, a sub-fleet of Dash8's or a similar prop should be fine, the ATR's in the Caribbean seem to be rugged enough, sometimes even more so that the Dash8s. Have not looked at the numbers but should be pretty close to a 2 for 1, the props would be entry level into JM fleet, move from there to the A320's then the 757. To keep things interesting if you join JM as a pilot on the prop, when you transition up its as a F/O all the way to the B-757, then your first Capt. job would be one of the lower a/c you could go all the way down to the props again, then you transition back up the line as a capt, should take a few years.

Just another thought

SLCUT2777

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Delta will not resume service to Puerto Plata, DR and will suspend North Eleuthera, Bahamas.

I really think DL could have done better with this leisure destination (POP) with 738 service from JFK, seasonally adjusted. I think seasonally adjusted service likewise would have worked from ATL, but on an EMB-170 from S5 or a OO CRJ-7/9. POP is one of the least expensive all-inclusive clusters in the Caribbean. Thousands of Canadians each year can't be wrong!  biggrin 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

md90fan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 8):
How do you all think this new B6 service will do? Boston- Santiago, D.R.? Hopefully they will find a niche market and it will be profitable. In 2008 expect more Dominican expansion and hopefully new Caribbean stations by the winter.

Eh, it might do ok, good thing it's only for a little over a month (Christmas shuttle service). They'd have better luck with their BOS-SDQ service (also probably launching as a Christmas shuttle service).

Quote:

JetBlue Airways is expected to add new daily nonstop service from Boston's Logan International Airport to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, beginning in December.
The discount carrier initially will operate the flights Dec. 12 through Jan. 15 and then assess whether bookings merit year-round daily service.
JetBlue [JBLU] is targeting the large and growing population of native Dominicans who have settled in Massachusetts and New England.
The flights will be aboard Airbus A320 aircraft, which hold about 150 passengers. They will leave Logan's Terminal C at 11 p.m. daily, and return flights from Santo Domingo will arrive at Terminal E at 7:50 a.m.
American Airlines [AMR] is the only Logan carrier that currently operates nonstop service from Boston to Santo Domingo. Several other airlines offer connecting flights through New York, New Jersey or Miami. JetBlue currently offers nonstop service from Logan to 27 destinations.

Quoting A388 (Reply 10):

Indeed, Roger. Not too long ago, JM was considering the acquisition of a pair of A319s to begin MBJ-San Fransisco and Vancouver. A319s can be used to start up new destinations and right-size routes not mature enough for the A320 (LAX comes to mind).

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 19):
With the introduction of the 757, I assume operating this aircraft on this route would be an overkill.

If they come that is  silly 

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 22):
I really think DL could have done better with this leisure destination (POP) with 738 service from JFK, seasonally adjusted. I think seasonally adjusted service likewise would have worked from ATL, but on an EMB-170 from S5 or a OO CRJ-7/9. POP is one of the least expensive all-inclusive clusters in the Caribbean. Thousands of Canadians each year can't be wrong!

It was supposed to be an S5 E70 this summer, it never made it though.

BWIA 772

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

About JM and A319 you do know that it is quite possible that JM has done critical analysis and that the A319 was the better solution.

Anyways guys tell me what you think of the article in this link.

The idea sounds nice and we have to see if the government is prepared to walk the walk instead of talking the talk!!
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:16 am

So, Barbados is asking JM to provide more flights from the USA - certainly a good move insofar as using the regional airlines is concerned. It remains to be seen whether the Government will provide finance to JM. The question is, for many years the Government of T&T suggested to the other Islands that they participate in BW but to no avail. One wonders what BW would have been like had the other Islands supported it financially in the past - it perhaps may not have gone into meltdown as it did and ended up as Trinidad (NOT Caribbean) Airlines! It is still sad to see how BW has shrunk in BGI from being easily the largest mainline carrier to just a single daily link with POS and KIN.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

BWIA 772

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 25):

Government of BGI has given support to BW in the past. With the MAN route the government did wave landing fees and IIRC offer marketing support.When BGI was all but dropped by CAL BGI suffered a massive reduction in airlift to the island as BW was the biggest schedule airline at BGI. Obviously BGI government had to look at restoring the airlift loss and given JM commitment to the island this move isn't at all surprising.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

A388

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 24):
About JM and A319 you do know that it is quite possible that JM has done critical analysis and that the A319 was the better solution.

As much as I understand and believe in your point, we all know how things go around here in our region. How many times have decisions been made based on real analysis with no hidden agendas or politics involved.....? Like I said the A319 in my opinion is not well suited for such short shuttle flights, we all know that. It is too much aircraft for such a short route. Improving the fleet planning and crew planning to optimize your operations is a better starting point. Who knows the A320 can do the job just as "well". If you are operating the A319 in a single class lay-out you will have as many seats as on the JM A320 (150 seats divided over two classes probably but still) so what's the point of introducing the A319, let alone just one A319? From a operational point of view it makes very little to no sense unless the aircraft is operated in two classes and used on thinner international routes. But for the sole purpose of operating the A319 for the MBJ-KIN route?

A388

BWIA 772

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 27):

I understand you arguments but at the end of the day I think that we have to accept that the days where economic consequences came a distant second to satisfying the political agenda where airlines are concerned are over. So to answer your question I say look back at the last 12 months of Caribbean Aviation and you will see decisions being made by all 3 major carriers, that had no political or hidden agenda associated with them!!!

I do agree that having one A319 in an all economy lay out may not be the best option, but having at least 2 A319 in a 2 class lay out may work. It would allow the airline to effectively handle the MBJ KIN route but also use the A319 to develop long thing routes.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

A388

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 28):
that had no political or hidden agenda associated with them!!!

Is JM currently making decisions solely based on their needs and what's the most economical? I somehow still think they have (hidden) political ties. Isn't JM going back into the hands of the government as well?

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 28):
I do agree that having one A319 in an all economy lay out may not be the best option, but having at least 2 A319 in a 2 class lay out may work. It would allow the airline to effectively handle the MBJ KIN route but also use the A319 to develop long thing routes.

Correct, my point exactly.

A388

caribbean484

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:33 am

Hey guys whats happening.
Caribbean Airlines is reporting a very great summer season, better than they planned for.
Also Caribbean Airlines will no longer be using Sunjet house.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_business?id=161191326

Quote:

Healthy Summer for CAL
By ROXANNE STAPLETON-WHYMS Monday, August 20 2007

CARIBBEAN AIRLINES (CAL) recorded a highly successful summer travel roster, with the month of July, seeing 77,000 passengers flying on this airline. Boasting of the %u201Cvery truly commendable achievement%u201D airline CEO Peter Davies described the feat as a culmination of extremely hard work by staff.

%u201CCAL also has bumper bookings for Christmas and Carnival,%u201D Davies said. Speaking at the launch of CAL%u2019s new ticketing office at Nicholas Tower in Port-of-Spain, Davies said: %u201CIt is clear that with the energy deployed and results we have achieved in the last seven months and I can assure you, those results are very positive, we are en route to reaching our goals and in fact, we%u2019re slightly ahead of them.%u201D
%u201CWhen I look at our summer traffic and our load factors, I%u2019m realising more and more people in Trinidad and Tobago and abroad have renewed their confidence in what we offer and are now becoming very loyal and very satisfied passengers.%u201D
Davies said that CA%u2019s operations have improved over the last several months, adding that they%u2019ve %u201Ceven robbed shoulders with the best performers in the industry.%u201D
%u201CThe opening of our new customer ticket office is the latest in a series of important accomplishments.%u201D I would like to thank the efforts of all Caribbean Airlines employees %u2014 our on time performance, baggage claims and other in service and customer service indicators are currently some of the best in the airline industry throughout the world. The company has worked hard to achieve these figures and our new location refreshes the look and feel of our premises to our customers,%u201D he said.
Davies did not divulge what losses CA incurred this week with the Piarco International Airport runway being down two days, due to cracks and re-paving activity, only stating for the record that %u201Cit was unfortunate.%u201D
All ah we is one family

Caymanair

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 am

FROM # 18:

Hurricane Dean is causing quite a stir here in GCM.

KX has added 9 daily GCM-MIA flights today and an unconfirmed (but larger) number tommorow. (this is in addition to the 3 daily already operated)
3 Ft Lauderdale flights today and 2morro.
about 4 extra kingston flights
extra Tampa flights (not sure how many)

Also, every major company here has organized a charter to evacutae continuity staff.

ADDITIONALLY:

The reverse is now taking place. Things are particularly bad in regards to Jamaica as KIN is limited operations at the moment.

The most up to date numbers suggest that KX evacuated 7000 people out of about 9000 people that left the island.

ahlfors

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:18 am

Just booked a flight on Air France/Winair and found out several things I didn't know:

1) Air France and Winair now offer interline e-ticketing - very convenient!
2) Winair is codesharing with Carib Aviation on the SXM-ANU leg - since when has this been going on?
3) Carib Aviation is flying a Beechcraft C-99 on the route - where did they get that?

Cheers

8b775zq

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 32):
Just booked a flight on Air France/Winair and found out several things I didn't know:

1) Air France and Winair now offer interline e-ticketing - very convenient!
2) Winair is codesharing with Carib Aviation on the SXM-ANU leg - since when has this been going on?
3) Carib Aviation is flying a Beechcraft C-99 on the route - where did they get that?

1. Didn't know of that maybe someone else can shed light on that matter
2. Also news to me...will have to look into that. I recall they codeshared on the ANU-TRPM route
3. Carib Aviation has had the C-99 for as long as I can remember. Seems to me they had them even before acquiring their other aircraft.(could be wrong)

md90fan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:36 am

Greetings folks,

A bit of news from AA:

• New 2x weekly DFW-PLS service.
  • Resumed 2x weekly BOS-PLS service.
  • Addition of a 3rd daily frequency on MIA-PLS.

PLS will be the 4th destination served from AA at DFW, joining Montego Bay, Nassau and San Juan. That's it really.....

albird87

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 34):
Greetings folks,

A bit of news from AA:

New 2x weekly DFW-PLS service.

Resumed 2x weekly BOS-PLS service.

Addition of a 3rd daily frequency on MIA-PLS.

PLS will be the 4th destination served from AA at DFW, joining Montego Bay, Nassau and San Juan. That's it really.....

Wow that is a lot of destinations now from PLS!!! when i was there ten years ago, PLS i think was only served by AA from MIA and it had 2 flights a day (ok not much changed here!!) but im sure that more airlines now serve PLS!! Its amazing how much has changed in ten years!!

westindian425

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:17 am

Okay, having seen first hand from what my friends and family had to go through traveling on Constellation/Primarius, I have to say that this airline is in trouble. Both the POS-JFK and JFK-POS flights experienced extensive 10+ hour delays on different days! I'll give you the rundown on the latest episode which took place yesterday.

The flight was scheduled to depart at 9:00am. Everything was confirmed prior to taking my friend to the airport. We get to the airport, only to find out the flight was cancelled and resheduled for a 5:00pm departure!  Wow! I called my family who was travelling from NJ and told them the situation, and they decided to turn back. I then went to talk to the agents (not letting them know that I'm a pilot or anything...just wanted to hear what was going on). As it turns out, the flight that was leaving in the morning was the scheduled flight from the night before, heading to Guyana! The airplane's radar was out, and so it had to be repaired (hence my problem with airlines with one aircraft). So the plane was to leave for GEO, fly to POS, return, and then pick up the pax and head back to POS. Check-in was to be for 2:00pm. I gave them my number to call if there was any changes.

We get a call at 12:00 confirming that the flight was leaving at 5pm as promised, and that we should get to the airport for 2pm. We get there, only to see the departure pushed to 9:00pm on the screen!  banghead  So now that means everyone will be sitting in the airport for an additional 4 hours! Compensation? A meal voucher! LOL!

So, in order to pass the time, we went to Green Acres Mall. When we get back, the time was now pushed to 10pm! By this time, people were already giving Constellation the nickname "cancellation" or "constipation". I'm laughing, of course, because I said Caribbean Airlines or Continental wouold have been a much better choice. Both flights left without a hitch (CO from EWR).

Well, the finally got to the gate after the departure was confirmed for 10pm...but they didn't board till 10pm, pushed back around 11:15, and took off after midnight, finally arriving in POS at 5:30 this morning! What an adventure!
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

A388

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 36):
Well, the finally got to the gate after the departure was confirmed for 10pm...but they didn't board till 10pm, pushed back around 11:15, and took off after midnight, finally arriving in POS at 5:30 this morning! What an adventure!

So did the POS-CUR-PTY fly today as normally scheduled? The flight was supposed to arrive here in CUR at 09:45AM local time.

A388

caribbean484

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 36):
Okay, having seen first hand from what my friends and family had to go through traveling on Constellation/Primarius, I have to say that this airline is in trouble. Both the POS-JFK and JFK-POS flights experienced extensive 10+ hour delays on different days! I'll give you the rundown on the latest episode which took place yesterday

For the entire summer period both Constellation and Travelspan have been having serious delays, cancellation and baggage issues, despite the problems at POS runway. Of this they are facing monting competition from Caribbean Airlines on JFK and MIA.
Consellation from what its being said in reports reminds me of BWIA during the winter season of 2003 where flights were delayed and no one knew what was going on.
The mare fact is this is what happens to many of our caribbean airlines and if constellation wishes to compete and stay alive then they need to get their act together soon of for sure they will go down like any other Trinidad airline.
All ah we is one family

hummingbird

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Major plans for the future. Soaring to new heights.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070827/lead/lead5.html

westindian425

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 38):
The mare fact is this is what happens to many of our caribbean airlines and if constellation wishes to compete and stay alive then they need to get their act together soon of for sure they will go down like any other Trinidad airline.

If they really want to compete, they need to have a plan in place should the sole aircraft that they are using experience problems. They should have looked at what Guyana 3000 and Universal Airlines went through with their one aircraft business model. There are a lot of angry passengers who will not take Constipation again.

A388

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 39):

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2....html

Now the A319 makes more sense instead of our earlier discussion about JM acquiring/leasing just one A319. I'm looking ofrward in seeing both the B757 and A319 here in CUR  Smile Does anybody know more precise delivery details of these aircraft and where they are coming from?

Regards,

A388

md90fan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:09 am

Schedules are posted for AA's new PLS flights (Dallas/Boston-PLS is 1x weekly) :

AA464 PLS0800 - 0945MIA 738
AA610 PLS1230 - 1420MIA 738*
AA746 PLS1740 - 1930MIA 738

AA2119 DFW1025 - 1505PLS 738 6
AA2120 PLS1610 - 1930DFW 738 6

AA1501 BOS1105 - 1430PLS 757 6
AA1524 PLS1540 - 1915BOS 757 6

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 39):

Major plans? Soaring to new heights? I wouldn't exactly call adding the long rumoured 757s which are sorely needed on several routes and replacing some A320s with smaller A319s "major plans". I see that as right sizing the existing aircraft with more capable airplanes. BTW, they don't need A319s for a measly 6 daily roundtrips between MBJ and KIN, it's not common to see WN use 73Gs on shuttle routes 8-10 times a day.

Quote:
"Concerns were raised specifically about our original contemplation of acquiring Boeing 737s as there had been some reports circulating about problems with the 300, 400 and 500 series of those aircraft," Conway said.

This guy is a bafoon, if majour world airlines such as CO, UA. NZ, KLM, etc use 733s with no problems, why can't a smaller Caribbean carrier do the same thing?

A388

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 42):
I see that as right sizing the existing aircraft with more capable airplanes.

Agreed  checkmark 

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 42):
BTW, they don't need A319s for a measly 6 daily roundtrips between MBJ and KIN

Agreed  checkmark , that's why I said earlier it only makes sense if JM will also use the A319 on international routes which sounds to be the case according to that article because the A320s will be replaced by the A319.

A388

MAH4546

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am

It is looking very likely that American will resume Miami-Antigua service, which last operated in December 2001:

http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=...007&an=363023109908262007&ac=Local

13Dec07, daily 738 is the target if an agreement can be quickly reached.
a.

westindian425

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 44):
It is looking very likely that American will resume Miami-Antigua service, which last operated in December 2001:

http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=...007&an=363023109908262007&ac=Local

13Dec07, daily 738 is the target if an agreement can be quickly reached.

The Evil Empire will not be outdone by any other carrier in serving the caribbean.  Wink

md90fan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Choo Choo!  checkeredflag 

First Cubana Tu-204-120E (passenger version)

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/photos/01cut1701.jpg

caribbean484

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:12 am

it looks like 9YGEO is coming back to POS after a long 2 month summer in Europe.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TRA51
All ah we is one family

2travel2know

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

At last some news about Constellation in the local Panamanian media (from La Prensa, in Spanish). Now POS is USD400 away from PTY instead of USD800 via MIA.

mbj-11

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Some pictures from Jamaica in the aftermath of hurricane Dean....you know the drill just follow the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/uvesedwards/DeanWasMean
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos