Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gilesdavies
Topic Author

Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awful?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:03 am

Before anyone jumps down by throat, I am not criticising the job cabin crew do in the USA or meaning in the sense of eye candy!

But when I have travelled with airlines in the USA like US Airways, American, Southwest and United. The uniforms look like they were designed back 20-30 years ago and look like a school kids uniform here in the UK. With white shirts, black trousers and jumpers, some of the uniforms look like they are ready to go to a funeral. Also they just look untidy and don;t carry a very professional image.

For women the uniforms, do them no favours and in some cases make then look really butch and almost like a sterotypical lesbian! Also the uniforms for women seem to vary so much, I was on one US Airways flight and each female member seemed to have their own version of the uniform!

Whenever I am at Gatwick waiting for my flight, I can always tell the US Airlines cabin crew a mile off, as they walk through departures for their flight they are operating.

I think the only airline I can compliment for their uniforms is Delta! Does US Airways have any plans of offering a new uniform, considering we have a case where two airlines merging. You have old HP aircraft, repainted into the US Airways colours but the crew continue to wear HP uniforms.

Whats wrong with the airlines spending a little money, and offering a well taylored uniform that is smart and practical. Even low cost airlines like easyJet offer their Cabin Crew a decent uniform and even their old uniform appeared modern compared to some I have seen.

[Edited 2007-08-18 00:21:11]

desertjets

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Thread starter):
Before anyone jumps down by throat, I am not criticising the job cabin crew do in the USA or meaning in the sense of eye candy!

I wouldn't even think of it, because I believe you are correct. The uniforms lack any decent tailoring and are likely the cheapest/easiest to maintain things they could get. Airlines like Delta or Jetblue have shown that you can have a decent looking uniform without going over the top. Better fabrics, better fits, better color choices make a huge diff.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

FLYGUY767

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:26 am

But when I have travelled with airlines in the USA like US Airways, American, Southwest and United. The uniforms look like they were designed back 20-30 years ago and look like a school kids uniform here in the UK. With white shirts, black trousers and jumpers, some of the uniforms look like they are ready to go to funeral. Also they just look untidy and don;t carry a very professional image.

Agreed 100%... I am sure the Americans are going to say something like they need the dark image to present a uniform image much like the military. I cant remember when America West, American, or Northwest Airlines last tried to help out their image with new uniforms. United Airlines new uniforms for what they are worth are some of the worst in the United States. Delta Air Lines uniforms were seemingly handed out to people who look less than appropriate in a red wrap dress-they look more like stuffed red peppers in a jar. Hawaiian Airlines uniforms are by far one of the most un-eye appealing. Southwest Airlines finally got a little professional and added a blazer. US Airways uniforms never seem to be worn to standard, when a person has kanckles it is time to put the one piece dress away. Jet Blue has fun uniforms they are professional and present a crisp image. From what I have seen the Virgin America uniform is less than Virgin.

In the end we are bound to have a response in this topic along the lines of:

"They have better things to do that to change and spend money on new uniforms"

"They are here for your safety not your eye appeal"

"They are doing the best they can they just came out of bankruptcy, or just eluded it"

Like I said mark my words they are going to reply with one or all of the above as an excuse..

BTW if I am voting for the best uniform: BA, NH, AF, AZ, QR, and QF

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

jbernie

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:50 am

I haven't flown much in the last few years but I haven't heard of any major changes, I have mainly flow UA and always thought the uniforms were less than flattering, the crew don't need to look like they are dressed for dinner with the Queen or anything, but they really are drab, boring and uninspiring.

In saying that, given the issues with $$ for the airlines in recent times, i guess (hope) they did a study and decided the cost of making changes was too high to justify given what else has been going on, which i won't object too given they could be in the position of new uniforms or lose more staff.

For those A.net members who are crew, how do you view the uniforms? If changes were made that gave you a more modern snappier looking outfit for work, would it help improve morale (look good = feel good), are you required to pay for part/all of your uniforms?

I guess another factor in play is the US travelling public going on their cheapest fair only binge at the moment, increasing costs at the legacy carriers isn't really desirable right now. If the customer doesn't care how good/bad the crew looks because they got the cheapest fair, why rush that expenditure?

frontierflyer

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:58 am

I'd love to see the women wear hats. AA, CO are really old, they look to stiff. AS are ok. UA NW umm no! AM MX yum!
F9 purple and black, yummier. DL looks more like a bath robe.

BoeingBoy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 am

Uniform allowance - The cheaper they are - the less allowance (read as bottom line numbers).
10% is the best we can do

khobar

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 am

Even low cost airlines like easyJet offer their Cabin Crew a decent uniform and even their old uniform appeared modern compared to some I have seen.

I'm sorry, but the photo you offered - what airline is that with the white shirt and dark suit with the folks looking very much like they are on their way to a funeral?

Goldenshield

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:37 am

If you ask me, I think Hooters Air had the best uniforms.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

khobar

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:41 am

Anyone want to check out uniforms, see: http://www.uniformfreak.com/indexnav/indexnav1a.html

See for yourself.

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:46 am

The DL uniforms are really..... inappropriate, IMO. I dont like the women's dress and there's a snowball's chance in hell that I would let my gf or wife wear THAT!

I really like CO's uniform and HP's new uniforms look, expecially the women's dresses, IMO.

UA could have done much better, AS is okay (wished they kept some of the old looks), WN is WN, AA needs a make-over and NWA needs to get into 2007...they seem to be stuck in the late 80's.

So, CO and HP wins my vote.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Frontierflyer (Reply 5):
I'd love to see the women wear hats.

I'm with you on that one. I also like scarves. Why don't american women wear them.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

panamair

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
there's a snowball's chance in hell that I would let my gf or wife wear THAT!

..that you would LET your gf or wife wear? what, she has to gain your permission on what to wear?  Smile

The DL uniforms are really..... inappropriate

Huh? what's inappropriate? If you're referring to the sleeveless navy apron, it's just that - an apron that is worn over a regular uniform...not over nothing. And the red dress is not as low-cut as it looks on that professional model...if you look at the red dress on normal, real FAs in those pictures, they are not risque at all....

L1011Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:01 am

Sorry to say, but the uniform in the picture you included is by far worse than any US airlines uniform!!!

Am I correct assuming that it is the current EasyJet uniform??? It´s what it says on the ladies scarf, right?

It doesn´t look like a uniform at all. It looks more like Business attire and honestly not the most stunning! The female uniform scarf doesn´t even match the male uniform tie (and you´re complaining about diversity in US Airways female uniforms??? come on!). Awful! Okay I realize they don´t wear any badges, nametags, or wings in this picture. But still it is an ugly, ugly uniform!

It´s far away from looking stunning! It´s simply totally boring!

DL´s new uniform however looks totally stunning! DL´s uniform is by far the best looking among any US carrier. Of course the red wrap-dress shouldn´t be worn by a bigger lady, but if worn by the right type of women it looks so sharp and definitely makes for a striking appearance. The navy wrap and buttoned dresses and all other uniform options from pants to skirts, blazers, waistcoats, scrafs, ties, blouses and shirts look sharp while at the same time very classic.

AA´s uniform isn´t that bad either. Looks very professional to me. UA´s current uniform is a bit boring I admit. The dress looks nice, the rest of the uniform however could use a change. At least put the stripes back on the jacket sleeves. I´ve seen some FA´s who put them back on and it makes such a difference.

CO and NW uniforms are a bit old-fashioned but still look like airline crew uniforms.

I´m sure US is going to introduce a new uniform at one point sooner or later when the US/HP merger "really" is complete. There´s nothing wrong with the current US uniform except that it lacks a bit of color! Bring on a few more red accessories!

Bottom line, I don´t think that US airlines cabin crew uniforms are that awful! I´ve seen worse! OS current red uniform hurts my eyes, the old BA uniforms were downright awful and ugly. The dress was something my 75 year old grandmother wouldn´t have worn!

Look at some of the European low cost carriers. Germanwings, Ryanair... then you´ll see what an awful uniform looks like!

AF new uniform dosn´t do it for me either. I liked the old one a lot better. Still the male uniform is the same boring outfit they´ve worn for the past 50 years probably. Same with LH!!! The female uniform changed a lot but ours (the mens uniform) is basically still the same as it was when LH resumed service in 1955.

Most Asian airlines dress their female cabin crews in traditional gowns, but I sure hope nobody expects US carriers to dress their FA´s in southern dresses Scarlett O´Hara style... LOL...  Big grin

Best regards

L1011Lover

flymd

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:03 am

I agree, most US carriers uniforms suck. As others have said, it has to do with the bottom line.

I do think that the whole image of US carriers has to be changed. Most of the cabin crew just look so frumpy (especially in UA's one piece dress-sack), it just lacks a certain professionalism.
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 12):
..that you would LET your gf or wife wear?

redflag  I wouldn't let her wear THAT crap.

what, she has to gain your permission on what to wear?

No. But if she elected to wear the sex appeal style clothing that shows some skin opposed to casual appropriate clothing, I wouldn't be dating her or married to her...whoever she would be.

Huh? what's inappropriate? If you're referring to the sleeveless navy apron, it's just that - an apron that is worn over a regular uniform...not over nothing. And the red dress is not as low-cut as it looks on that professional model...if you look at the red dress on normal, real FAs in those pictures, they are not risque at all....

Have you actually SEEN the red dress? Thats showing almost the entire top of the chest! I don't want guys starring at my gf or wife's chest the entire flight. That is the only inappropriate thing about the uniform. Like I said...this is only MY opinion.

Evan767

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:07 am

The DL uniforms are really..... inappropriate

Wow, I've never heard anyone say this before. Care to go into more detail?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

panamair

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
Have you actually SEEN the red dress?

Uh, yes, actually, almost every week or every other week...and the cut of the red dress in person is actually much higher than what the blonde professional model is wearing in that pic. There is another navy dress that can be quite 'open' up front but definitely not the red dress....

L1011Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:16 am

The DL uniforms are really..... inappropriate, IMO. I dont like the women's dress and there's a snowball's chance in hell that I would let my gf or wife wear THAT!

Not inappropriate at all! I bet you´ve never seen the uniform in real life. You probably refer to the pics in the web. The sleeveless thing is an apron, not a dress and is worn over the uniform. None of the dresses look as low-cut in real life as they look on the models in the different pictures that were taken when the uniform was introduced. I remember that when I first saw the pics I thought to myself OMG!!! They can´t be serious!!! LOL!!! Real life is different!

By the way, I feel sorry for your girlfriend or wife. She really needs your permission on what to wear??? Is this 2007 or 1807??? If you find the DL dresses inappropriate I don´t wanna know what you´d order your girlfriend or wife to wear when going to the beach???  Wink

L1011Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:23 am

Actually the navy and red wrap-dresses are exactly the same type/style of dress. The only difference is the color and maybe the fabrics... not sure about that. But the style is exactly the same. They look like wrap-dresses and that´s what they call them, but they actually go over the head. There is also a navy buttoned double-breasted dress, that is different and looks more like the traditional dresses DL had in the past.

L1011Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
Thats showing almost the entire top of the chest! I don't want guys starring at my gf or wife's chest the entire flight.

Right, it partially shows the top of the chest making it look sexy. Nothing is wrong and nothing is inappropriate with a woman looking sexy and stunning! Remember that in the 70´s they wore miniskirts, boots and hotpants at almost every airline???!!!

It doesn´t show anything that is inappropriate! But still, this is your opinion. But with all due respect I keep asking myself at which point in the long gone past you´ve got stuck?

david21487

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:52 am

I LOVE my DL uniform! I think that it's very classy, professional, and 21st century image. Also, the uniform looks great on the women as well. It's nice to see an airline employee wearing a red shirt dress as opposed to a blue coat dress that's standard among US carriers. I think it's great that the core uniform is the same for all customer service personnel, but that they are differentiated by color-coded accents.

There are also hats that go along with the uniform, although they are optional. Flight attendants can get either a red or blue hat and it's black for guys, but the men's hat can't be worn inside.

I don't think that there's anything inappropriate about the uniform. Just because your necklace is showing doesn't mean that your cleavage is, or has too. The dress is not cut as low as it appears in the picture and it does actually snap at the top. Anyone can make anything look inappropriate.

As for that photo of the woman with the wings on her hip, like someone said above, that is a serving apron used for in-flight meal and beverage service, not an outer garment. Why she's not wearing anything else is beyond me.

Quoting Jbernie (Reply 4):
are you required to pay for part/all of your uniforms?

At Delta, we get a certain amount of "points" every few months in order to replace/purchace new uniforms and uniform items. Should you need something and are out of points, you can purchase items yourself. You used to have to wait MONTHS before you'd get your shipment (I just got a vest yesterday that I ordered in April), but come September 1st, they're switching to an on-demand system where you'll recieve your items within 7-10 business days of ordering them.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

silentbob

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 am

Does US Airways have any plans of offering a new uniform, considering we have a case where two airlines merging. You have old HP aircraft, repainted into the US Airways colours but the crew continue to wear HP uniforms.

US has already had the new uniforms designed, you will start seeing them in a few months.

LINATE

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:08 am

Can't imagine anyone liking the CO uniform.. .Those ties matching the handkerchief on the jackets pocket it sooooo 80". and all the stripes and different colors for shirts and blouses. My GOd. In my opinion whoever designed that has ZERO sense of fashion, even at the time it was designed.

The DL uniform on the other had has style, nice cut, and make people look classy and elegant. Totally different. What I like the most is that it is unassuming. Classy elegance.

UA, AA, etc... gosh ... they are OLD and uncreative.

AF, IB, have very nice uniforms, and they change them quite often.
AZ''s uniform was top of the line years ago, but stopped in the past somewhere and never got changed or updated. Pity.

But i have not seen anything that beat the old BF uniforms!!!!SO creative and unique... We need more of that nowadays.

Alitalia744

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:14 am

I'm sorry, but DL's uniforms are a high-bar above any other out there in the US...

Big version: Width: 900 Height: 642 File size: 57kb
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

whappeh

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 22):
US has already had the new uniforms designed, you will start seeing them in a few months.

I think they look great too.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

Coal

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Aweful?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:38 am

These are still the best in the world:

But DL's are not bad. I think the hats and the smart suits make them look very sophisticated.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

platinumfoota

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awful?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:00 am

I like the hats, like the DL red. Oh and wouldnt mind seeing the new UA colors on F/A.
Ive always like to see the F/A and flight crew walking together down the international terminal.
Never forget United 93

thirteenright

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:04 am

MAXjet cabin crew have awesome uniforms.

I think the worse goes to Continental and North American. Just awful!

UnitedFirst

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:52 am

I wrote a paper for a class about airline uniforms through the ages. One thing's for sure – following TWA's Ralph Lauren-designed uniforms from the 1980s, there was a big rush by US carriers to revert to military-style uniforms. (Vogue even had a feature on the new look.) Obviously this was an enormous shift from the United Skimmer and the Braniff Pucci frocks of the 60s. However, it all tied into an airline industry more geared towards reliability, professionalism and safety post-deregulation. Indeed, these types of traditional uniforms were an essential part of that image.

To Delta's credit, I will say that the new uniforms are fantastic. Although I'm not convinced by the grey/navy dress with the red trim for many (not flattering if you have flabby arms), I think the red wrap dresses are fantastic. I had one flight attendant wearing one on a South America flight – and I have to say, the "improved" meal service, the refreshed Be seats, the cocktails and the snappy-looking crew member gave Delta quite a good onboard image. This F/A was by no means waif-thin, but she looked quite elegant – something I could never say about flight attendants with AA or NW.

If I recall correctly, UA is planning to launch new uniforms soon. This will be a welcome change

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:56 am

Big version: Width: 467 Height: 700 File size: 221kb
Big version: Width: 467 Height: 700 File size: 113kb
Big version: Width: 383 Height: 644 File size: 95kb

Just in case you are interested, here are the photos of the new US uniforms. I think they suck bigtime cuz they are ugly (that striped tie is hideous and I hate the blue band around the cuffs, in fact I hate those two blue colors together period) and too casual but most US employees I've talked to like them.

FlyboyOz

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awef

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Look at that amazing new Air Berlin uniform (start in June 2007). Women uniform looks beautiful and excellent but male uniform looks somewhat funny - why red belt for men to wear it?? Looks like he is going to a nightclub. He wore little tight shirt. It will look ridicules if some male cabin crews who are a little bit chubby or something.

[Edited 2007-08-18 05:05:40]
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 18):
By the way, I feel sorry for your girlfriend or wife.

For the record, I dont have either. So its not a problem at the moment.  Smile

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 18):
She really needs your permission on what to wear???

I never said 'she' needed my permission on what to wear. I said that I wouldn't allow her to wear that red DL dress or any sex type clothing. Its 'her' choice, but if she choses to wear clothes that really call to attention, I'd be out the door fast.

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 30):
Just in case you are interested, here are the photos of the new US uniforms.

You gotta be kidding me.  Wow!

jtl11968

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Just adding my two cents. I also notice that the US carriers allow the women to wear pants when most of the Asian or European carriers only have dresses or skirts as part of the female ensemble. BA, VS, EK are quite sharp. SQ's great uniform could only be worn by those amazing SQ girls. I'm sure a pair of pants are more comfortable but, IMO, a dress/skirt looks more professional.

I'm a guy who hates wearing a tie, but if I have to tie something around my neck, pull it tight and place appearance ahead of comfort, then the same should go for women.

Ryanair!!!

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting Jtl11968 (Reply 33):
I'm sure a pair of pants are more comfortable but, IMO, a dress/skirt looks more professional.

It really depends on how you wear the pants. QANTAS ladies (Some of them) look damned sleek wearing their black slacks!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

L1011Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:57 pm

I have to say that this cabin crew looks quite nice and their uniforms are flawless  Big grin  Wink  Big grin Okay, okay it´s not a US carrier... but still they look good!!!
Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 1600 File size: 996kb
Big version: Width: 1600 Height: 1200 File size: 936kb

Best regards

L1011Lover

flashflyguy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:01 pm

I agree as far as UA goes, it's woeful. I was out at Sydney airport one morning picking up a friend and a United crew came out of the terminal, the women looked like they'd just come off shift from working on a production line in a factory. Yet, other crews that I saw, (QF, SQ, MH and other airlines) looked smart and professional. I'm not saying that the UA people aren't professional, they certainly are, just the uniform lets them down.

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 13):
The female uniform changed a lot but ours (the mens uniform) is basically still the same as it was when LH resumed service in 1955.

I'm sure the mens uniform has changed since then...LOL. But really with the men, you can't really do much except change the style/cut of the uniform as far as the suit type goes. They'll still look smart. It's the womens uniform you can be creative with.

Those airlines that can pull off the 'national dress' or a variation on it, look great too. And as Coal says SQ is still the best. A timeless uniform dating from 1967 - which I'm sure has been tweeked here and there over the years, to keep it looking up to date. You see those Singapore Girls and you instantly know which airline they fly for. An indication of brand awareness, something in which SQ exceeds.

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 13):
but I sure hope nobody expects US carriers to dress their FA´s in southern dresses Scarlett O´Hara style... LOL...

Now THAT would be inappropriate.  highfive 

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 30):
Just in case you are interested, here are the photos of the new US uniforms.

Hmmm, again the womens dress looks like something you'd find in a manufacturing plant. My mother wore that style 20 years ago! As far as the middle photo of the guy in the apron, (you'd have thought they'd have made sure the apron was straight) looks like he's working in a hardware store. Do the USA airlines get hold of a corporate wear catalogue and just go through and say "We'll have that, that and that"? Because as far as these pics go, that is what it looks like.

The airlines in the US could do so much better, if they just got hold of the right people to design their uniforms, instead of looking like something off the rack.

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 35):

Thanks for sharing, I like it alot!  Silly

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:26 pm

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 36):
The airlines in the US could do so much better, if they just got hold of the right people to design their uniforms, instead of looking like something off the rack.

Thats the worst part they paid this guy , Stan Herman, quite a bit of money to design that crap. But to their credit, they had even more hideous uniforms that they were ready to introduce in Feb. 06 but that was cancelled due to extremely poor feedback from US employees.

QantasAirways

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:13 pm

That's the first time I saw the Delta uniform and I love it! I think its really stylish..

My favourite is definitely Qantas:

The serving jacket for the blokes looks nice!
Spirit of Australia

ayubogg

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:14 pm

I really don't like DL's new red coat wrapper things on the female F/A's but the rest looks good. I still think the only airline that can pull that red is VS! I always thought the female uniform in VS is flawless and I am no fashion expert. However, I always loved those hats (for lack of a better term) the BA female F/A's sometimes wore.
Alba gu bràth

viscount630

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting Frontierflyer (Reply 5):
I'd love to see the women wear hats. AA, CO are really old, they look to stiff. AS are ok. UA NW umm no! AM MX yum!

UA actually have one! I've only seen it worn ONCE, on a JFK-LHR flight, and the lady concerned looked very smart and professional. She had even gone to the trouble of making sure her uniform fitted and was pressed, clean and showed that with a bit of care even a badly designed uniform can look half decent. And guess what? She was a UK-based crew member!! The rest of her LHR colleagues on the flight were just as well turned out. This was in sharp contrast to the IAD-based crew I had "endured" on the outbound LHR-IAD flight a week before. They were the usual collection of crumpled, scruffy and badly fitting "articles"......
RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

flashflyguy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 38):
Thats the worst part they paid this guy , Stan Herman, quite a bit of money to design that crap.

Ha, they were ripped, who does he normally design for "The House of Kmart"?

They should have used that money and gone after Peter Morrissey, who did a mighty fine job for QANTAS. Their uniforms are pure class. I'm no fashion expert by long shot, purely jeans and t-shirt and shorts guy here, but I do know that it is important to project an 'image' in the corporate world and never more so when you work with the public.

stylograph

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:55 pm

is it really such a mystery?

americans have no real sense of style or aesthetics. hire a car, drive across this land, and let me know if you disagree after viewing the average shop signage or even road system markings.

our neighborhoods and districts have no forethought of planning or stylistic uniformity.

in short, since WWII there has been very little discipline in style or presentation in commercial america.

here flight crew must cost the absolute least and provide the absolute most. a pleasing uniform is highly incompatible with that formula, unfortunately.

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:05 pm

With most of the US carrier crews I've flown with bordering on the geriatric, I'm surprised US carriers don't all go for sensible tweed and twin-sets, and for the men, big old-man trousers pulled up to the chest  Smile

No doubt even the glamorous new DL uniforms will be downgraded by the choice of comfortable, plastic loafer shoes that most US crew seem to wear. Do they get them off the back of the TV Guide or something ? They always look awful.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

aloha73g

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting Stylograph (Reply 43):
a pleasing uniform is highly incompatible with that formula, unfortunately.

Delta doesn't seem to think so. On the plus side, the new uniforms at DL seem to have reinvigorated the airlines' image and the service employees provide. They look GREAT.....world class for sure.

On a side note, both AQ and HA are working on new uniforms. They seem to change more than most US airlines. Maybe its the rapidly changing trends in aloha-print patterns  Wink

On the whole, I think Aloha has one of the most interesting and colorful collections of uniforms over the years.

Current uniform is guy/gal all the way on the left....modeled by Aloha's most junior and senior F/As.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

wingedarrow

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Still one of my favourites:

אליטליה

ThirtyEcho

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Who cares what the uniforms look like?

When you are headed down the escape slide with your hair on fire, any F/A uniform is going to look good.

These folks are on the airplane for your safety and not for your aesthetic gratification or your entertainment.

Personally, I think that they should wear SWAT team suits and Taser you if you stand up before the airplane has made a complete stop at the gate and the Captain has turned off the seatbelt sign.

aircanada014

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:45 pm

Some of the DL's uniform are good but get rid of the red please, they look like a red marker walking down the aisle..
If they can blend the red with the blue then thats better but all red no way. I give DL's unifrom a B+
I really liked the Air Canada's new uniform although I miss their previous ones.

ThePRGuy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting Wingedarrow (Reply 46):

Yes, AZ have a fabulous uniform, slick, stylish and fantastic colours. Then again, I just love green.

Seeing as their airline sucks, its always a pleasure to see them onboard.

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos